Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 263 Posts

Re: Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Poor DR values on the hirez, crap distorted sound on the live show, OK surround mix. That's what I hear about this set.

So the average jimi buyer gets a crappy sounding live set that has nothing to do with the album. A waste of space hirez disc and if they have SS capability an OK (jeez) gimmicky fun time occational play.
    Wow, Gordon, you are the first person I'm aware of to review the box after actually receiving a copy. I'm expecting mine soon. I ordered it from ImportCDs for a very nice price: 42 Euro including shipping!

Thanks

Re: Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Gets Massive Reissue for 50th Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Poor DR values on the hirez, crap distorted sound on the live show, OK surround mix. That's what I hear about this set.

So the average jimi buyer gets a crappy sounding live set that has nothing to do with the album. A waste of space hirez disc and if they have SS capability an OK (jeez) gimmicky fun time occational play.
    I did wonder why none of the tracks on this upcoming release weren't put up on youtube,as usually we get a couple of preview tracks,I guess this explains why.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,017 Posts

Kees, I don't have a copy, simply going by comments I picked up and with such poor comments as I have heard so far am unlikely to invest in a CD set, keep it to vinyl only and just one [US ] copy!

This is what I'm hearing from those that have had access to this set so far.

I don't take DR values as a given, simply a guide. I trust my ears more. But its being said the DR values for the Hirez are the same as for the 1997 [later repackaged reissue] CD. If that is the case, I wont be able to sit with this for digital playback as that CD is too tiresome to listen to as a whole!

The Live set is to be honest as much as I expected for a Dagger release, just must be very disappointing for fans not "ready" for such low fidelity in a mainstream release.

As much as I love Grundman's vinyl mastering I will say he has a hard task of matching the 2010 reissue sound but look forward to giving it a listen at some stage.

A lot of folk were looking forward to the surround mix and a lot was placed on this mix for sales. Not great if the best we get is OK! But sometimes expectations are always placed too high so maybe that needs to be factored in to this.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 335 Posts

https://americansongwriter.com/2018/...rsary-box-set/HOME REVIEWS ALBUM REVIEWS THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE: ELECTRIC LADYLAND — DELUXE EDITION (50TH ANNIVERSARY BOX SET)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Ladyland — Deluxe Edition (50th Anniversary Box Set)
    This was Hendrix’s most expansive and personal statement.
    Written By Hal Horowitz // November 8, 2018

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Electric Ladyland — Deluxe Edition-50th Anniversary Box Set
    (Experience Hendrix/Legacy)
    Music: 5 out of 5 stars
    Reissue packaging: 4 out of 5 stars

Even diehard Hendrix fans have probably lost track of how often the guitarist’s 76-minute opus Electric Ladyland has been reissued. It was the first and only of his three albums to hit the top of the Billboard charts after its October 1968 release and remains not only his best-selling work, but his most influential and critically acclaimed one.

Books have been written about the disc, but suffice it to say that Hendrix not only freed himself from the tightly constructed song structures of his first two sets, but also included more of the myriad influences that ran through his music. It was also the first time he had complete creative control — at least musically — over the final product. From deep-blues jamming (the quarter hour “Voodoo Chile” never lags) to stoned out psychedelic space-rock (13 mind-expanding minutes of “1983 … [A Merman I Should Turn to Be]”), jazzy improvisation (“Rainy Day, Dream Away”), politically edged rockers (“House Burning Down”), pop-crunchers that could have been on his earlier discs (“Gypsy Eyes,” “Crosstown Traffic”), and even a few he didn’t write (Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower”), bassist Noel Redding’s somewhat incongruous bit of UK glam, “Little Miss Strange”), this was Hendrix’s most expansive and personal statement. It was also the last studio album he’d live to see released.

Anyone even slightly interested in Jimi Hendrix surely already owns a copy, so record company suits had to figure a way to sell it again as Electric Ladyland celebrates its 50th anniversary. To that end we get a three CD/one Blu-ray issue that aims to be the last word on this iconic album. Perhaps not surprisingly, it’s a mixed bag, but one with plenty of reasons for the dedicated who have already purchased this music (i.e., everyone), to part with another $45.

The most enticing feature for the hardcore fan is an Early Takes disc of (mostly) unheard, and previously unreleased, demos and studio outtakes. These raw recordings are fascinating as Hendrix works through the material in its most primitive form. The 20 tracks, some just brief drafts under two minutes, include two finished songs that never made it to the final product (“Angel” and “My Friend,” both released posthumously), a few instrumental passages like “Cherokee Mist,” plus stripped down versions of “Voodoo Chile” (in a 10-minute, solo intimate piece nearly worth the price of the box), “Gypsy Eyes,” and a 10-minute instrumental run through of “1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be),” with only drummer Mitch Mitchell accompanying him. Depending upon your fandom, these are either integral to your understanding of Hendrix’s thought process or just interesting sketches.

The previously unreleased show from the Hollywood Bowl, September 14, 1968, is more problematic. The thin, mono audio falls between cassette quality and worse (Mitch Mitchell’s drums often sound like they are recorded by a tin can on a string, Hendrix’s vocals are occasionally distorted to the point of ear-wincing annoyance), the Experience only plays one track from Electric Ladyland (released about two weeks afterwards), and the barely hour-long performance is substandard for Hendrix, especially in comparison with far superior concerts out there. Only the faithful will be able to sit through the whole thing. If this is the best Hendrix live the compilers have left, we are truly getting to the bottom of the barrel.

The 90-minute DVD documentary on the making of Electric Ladyland has been around in various forms since 2008, which means most Hendrix-lovers have seen it, although it’s now lengthened with additional material. The video takes us on a detailed and comprehensive exploration of almost every track by longtime Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer, who was there as the recording went down. His stories are enlightening, interviews with those who played on the sessions are absorbing, and this is a prime example of how to construct an effective “making of” documentary. After it’s over, you’ll better understand the social, personal and artistic forces that combined to create this classic.

Finally, the album gets a lavish, very cool 5.1 surround sound remix by Kramer. Whatever you feel about these things, the audio engineer says Hendrix visualized these songs in a more three-dimensional way which makes this overdue sonic expansion well worth hearing. Add a 48-page book with rare photos of the recording process (many apparently never before seen), Hendrix’s handwritten lyrics along with a revised cover photo (by Linda Eastman which he apparently had requested be used on the initial release), for the finishing touches on a 50th anniversary package for vital music that no one would dispute deserves the deluxe treatment.

Thanks

Based on the article above I really do wonder why the Hollywood Bowl gig is included here. Seems rather odd. EH badly blur the lines of Dagger and it's purpose. Assuming EH actually have more studio takes of the ELL tracks as the Ultimate Hendrix book would indicate, another disc of these outtakes rather than the Bowl show would make way more sense. The Bowl could be it's own release some other time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 469 Posts

If the bowl show is like the reviewer says I wonder why oh why was this chosen?? Still reserving judgement until Inhear it myself

Thanks

Got mine here in the UK. Have not listened to HD stereo or surround mix yet but normal CD sounds loads better than my MCA one from the early Experience Hendrix releases, the drums and bass are especially clearer and more full. A quick listen to the Hollywood show reveals a better sound than the previous audience tape-still not sure I will be listening to it too often though. I have a really nice full range 5.1 system so I am really looking forward to setting myself some time aside (family allowing) over the next day or two and listening to the surround mix. By the way, on my Amazon delivery the label on the cellophane wrapper was torn, good job I am not an obsessive collector. Packaging feels a little cheap in some ways. The booklet looks quite good - Kramer alluding to all the between song chat - we need Miles Davis Complete Sessions type releases for Jimi.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mindoctopus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've got my copy in my hands and have to say it's a beautiful package. However the tape used for the live Bowl concert is incomplete and some songs are cut. Also the new remaster of the album proper when viewed in a wav file editor shows evidence of clipping due to over amplification. From the 'At Last...The Beginning' "demos" cd it's nice to have a quality version of the full band 1983 (listed as Angel Caterina) in better than boot quality. Had they not mined the vaults over the years for past releases we'd obviously have a lot more 'new' now; they must be on empty because it's unfathomable that they'd hold anything back...unless Janie is just that crazy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 374 Posts

Got mine and went straight to the 5:1 mix. I'm still evaluating . . . "And The Gods Made Love" was a bit of a disappointment. I expected more things swirling around the four corners of the room, instead it seems mainly like the additional action is just front to back. I will say that aside from the surround aspects there are definitely some new elements popping up here and there in the various mixes. Different endings, longer fades, a bit of chatter, maybe even some additional guitar in "Gypsy Eyes" and "Long Hot Summer Night"?

One thing that's a little jarring is that the segues from song to song seem more abrupt than on the original album. You get used to a certain amount of time between tracks or a certain fade from one track to another, while the transitions here don't match. Ok, time for the acid test . . . "1983".

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Got mine and went straight to the 5:1 mix. I'm still evaluating . . . "And The Gods Made Love" was a bit of a disappointment. I expected more things swirling around the four corners of the room, instead it seems mainly like the additional action is just front to back. I will say that aside from the surround aspects there are definitely some new elements popping up here and there in the various mixes. Different endings, longer fades, a bit of chatter, maybe even some additional guitar in "Gypsy Eyes" and "Long Hot Summer Night"?

One thing that's a little jarring is that the segues from song to song seem more abrupt than on the original album. You get used to a certain amount of time between tracks or a certain fade from one track to another, while the transitions here don't match. Ok, time for the acid test . . . "1983".
    A two track mix down is called for :-)
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Simple evaluation on Disc 1. Less compression on the new remaster, meaning the sound is more open, the mix breathes more and it doesn't sound like it's being forced down your ears (2010 mix).
    2010 CD has more low end and the 2018 CD has slightly more high end and less bass - the sound is more balanced as a result.

Disc 2: Apartment recordings - ATM 236 vs 2018 CD, quick comparison on Gypsy Eyes - 2018 version is longer, no tape hiss, and sounds much better.

Angel from WCSB vs 2018 CD - The West Coast Seattle Boy Alternate Mix sounds like it came from a completely different tape. It is at least 1 tuning higher than the 2018 mix, and has more tape hiss and compression than the 2018 mix. The 2018 mix has a odd left channel drop out in the left channel at around the :10 second mark. My opinion is the 2018 Mix is a more raw transfer of the master tape, and the WCSB is a "restored" mix.

Disc 3: At Last... The Hollywood Bowl Tape - the performance is top notch - but the sound is flawed. It sounds like the engineer recorded the mic levels too hot, or a damaged microphone was being used - which is odd, considering there was an afternoon soundcheck. The result is a scratchy sound when all three musicians are getting busy. The mix is noticeably bass heavy, the drums are lowest in the mix but sound good, and the guitar is very clear and present in certain places like Red House, but smothered by the bass in others. Jimi really cuts through whenever he uses the Wah Wah.
    If you need to have your mind blown from this concert, listen to Red House. A good pass with Izotope De-Crackle can remove most of the crackling on the recording, but EH likes to give us mostly raw Dagger recordings and I definitely respect that.
    Last edited by Voodoo Kush; 11-09-18 at 09:43 PM.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 469 Posts

Thanks for the review. I can’t tell by your description though which Gypsy Eyes u like better the ATM or the new disc? “It” does not make clear which one you are referring to.

Thanks

I've listened to the 5:1 mix twice. (Actually the Blu-Ray has two different 5:1 format options. One says "uncompressed" the other says "5:1 Master". Which is best?)

It's really nice to be in the middle of a new mix with new bits here and there! Eddie doesn't do a lot of panning around the perimeter, but the 3d placement is great. I like having the background vocals actually be in the back! "1983" is great, lots of new flute bits I hadn't noticed before. And "Moon Turn the Tides" never sounded better! "AATW" is great too. In fact its all good. You need this mix!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Overall, I was underwhelmed with the whole thing. Given the high quality of some of the past box-sets, I was expecting so much better. I guess I was spoiled with the last 4 Ramones archival releases I've purchased. The original analog tapes with 3 discs of all available (usable) outtakes would have been the way to go. Also, Come On (Barclay single) AATW (mono promo mix), etc.

The live disc would have been great as a stand alone Dagger release, using the audience source to patch in the missing spots. The Blu-Ray I could live without. Never have time to sit down them anyway.

The book size is odd, as well. It doesnt fit it with the new, standard size boxed sets, not does it fit in with the vinyl sized ones.

Anyway, just my 2 cents....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ebrink72 View Post
    The Blu-Ray I could live without.
    Anyway, just my 2 cents....
    Really? You can live without a new mix of ELL that includes elements left out of the original mix? That alone makes it essential. The surround sound is just icing on the cake.

Thanks

Does the 5.1 mix sound any better or different through headphones? Or are the benefits only there if you play it on a 5.1 speaker system?

Thanks

There are three different formats of the remix on the Blu-Ray. (1) is 2.0 Stereo (2) is 5.1 uncompressed LPCM (3) is 5.1 DTS-HD. My research tells me that (2) & (3) probably won't have detectably different sound, they're just required for cross-compatibility on Blu-Ray players, as is (1). So if you don't have a surround system you can listen to (1). I haven't had time to listen to (1) yet.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Really? You can live without a new mix of ELL that includes elements left out of the original mix? That alone makes it essential. The surround sound is just icing on the cake.
    I don't have a nice surround system to enjoy the Blu Ray audio, plus I dont often have time to sit down and watch any sort of concert movie, so I don't really get much out of them. I would have rather had another audio disc of outtakes/demos/alt mixes....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 600 Posts

Eddie molested Rainy Day Shuffle by faking a tape cut after about 3 minutes. Hard to keep those scissorhands in check.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 347 Posts

If anyone is interested - I did a merge of Hollywood Bowl Red House SBD L, Aud R - https://youtu.be/oVCV4niqDO4
    Didn't put it on my main channel as it was just for educational purposes, and I don't want to risk any problems.

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post: