Thread: Database structure

Thanks

Database structure

(Copied from the Collectors XX Series topic...)

I am working on a database but finding the right structure is tough. What I have now is recording-based, so date (can be partial or unknown), place, and if known the order of the recording for the session. Then there are releases, which combine some release info (title, label, etc.) with recordings that are on it.

Everything can have zero or more references to documentation. Recordings can have JP and UV numbers.

All entries can have a references to other entries: a know recording can be an incomplete version of another. But also, one recording can be updated by new information and point to an updated version. The old and new versions remain in the database, so there the historical information is available.

The references to documentation can also have updates. So the database can accomodate for re-numbered sources: the source remains the same, the reference changed.

This can be accessed from two points of view: recordings (chronological list) and releases. The chronological list shows all recordings. This will include all versions of recordings (the incomplete ones, the updated ones, remixes) but those can be filtered from the list so only one version of a recording is visible. For every item the cross-references to releases are shown. The releases view shows releases with the recordings on them.

I am testing this so nothing to show yet. I must be sure to accomodate for all types of data changes and links between sources, etc. Like the Studio XX and The Collector's XX series. Collected from different releases, I need to find out whether the database structure can hold all info we want available.

I have selected the Studio 66 and the Hendrix (ie. non-guest musician) part of the The Collectors 64-66 sets (which include different versions, mixes, updated info) and a few live recordings that have different sources, including one that has the sources renumbered in one of the books. If that data fits into the database, I think the structure will suffice.

After that I am wondering how much of all the external sources (JP, UV) we would be allowed to put into that database before someone calls it an infiringement of copyright.

Suggestions and ideas of what should be taken into account are very welcome.

Thanks

Re: Database structure

One feature that might be useful is to compare two releases, see the comparisons and differences. Got this idea when thinking it would be nice to see the differences between the Studio 66 and Collectors 66 collections...