Thread: Dating the mysterious live version of Hoochie Coochie Man

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 551 Posts

Dating the mysterious live version of Hoochie Coochie Man

Hey,
    Was just listening again to the live version of Hoochie Coochie Man which is featured on the Kick Out The Jams comp.
    As far as I know if first appeared on a bootleg in the 90s.

You can hear it is performed in front of a small crowd, likely in a club.
    Audio is quite rough and distorted and Jimi's vocals are sometimes drowned out.

The line-up has drums, bass, piano and slide guitar backing Jimi.
    Jimi plays with no effects whatsoever; no wah wah, no fuzz.

Usually this is dated as April 1968, New York.
    Does anyone know if there's anything backing this up?

And does anyone know what tape this was sourced from, and when it was circulated?
    It's odd that we have only one track from this source. Perhaps it was a filler on one of Jimi's own tapes, or the rest of the tape was recorded over?

The presence of slide guitar...the clean guitar sound...could it be Jimi with Randy California in summer 1966?
    Just a crazy idea. It could of course be Jimi with any NYC blues band in 1968 that featured a slide guitar player.

Any ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Dating the mysterious live version of Hoochie Coochie Man

Anyone?
    Perhaps time to let STP-LSD back on board :-).

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 933 Posts

Who?
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

While this info might not solve the mystery, there are a few things we can deduct:

*March/April '68 we know Jimi spent a lot of time jamming in the village and at The Scene.
    *During this time, he personally recorded many of these jam sessions on his Teac recorder.
    *Hoochie Coochie Man would have been an obvious choice to jam out to - as it was a blues standard that most musicians know.
    *If Jimi did record it on his Teac recorder - the sound quality would likely have been better than what you describe.
    *Many of Jimi's tapes from this period were stolen out of his Corvette - so who knows what's out there

My guess would be something from the Generation or the Scene, maybe Ungano's.
    Does the slide guitar player sound like Johnny Winter?
    Didn't Jimi also jam with Johnny Winter at "Thee Experience" club in LA?
    (There's the famous anecdote of Jimi & Johnny jamming at Thee Experience club with Jimi dressed in white & Johnny dressed in black)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danksquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danksquad View Post
    While this info might not solve the mystery, there are a few things we can deduct:

*March/April '68 we know Jimi spent a lot of time jamming in the village and at The Scene.
    *During this time, he personally recorded many of these jam sessions on his Teac recorder.
    *Hoochie Coochie Man would have been an obvious choice to jam out to - as it was a blues standard that most musicians know.
    *If Jimi did record it on his Teac recorder - the sound quality would likely have been better than what you describe.
    *Many of Jimi's tapes from this period were stolen out of his Corvette - so who knows what's out there

My guess would be something from the Generation or the Scene, maybe Ungano's.
    Does the slide guitar player sound like Johnny Winter?
    Didn't Jimi also jam with Johnny Winter at "Thee Experience" club in LA?
    (There's the famous anecdote of Jimi & Johnny jamming at Thee Experience club with Jimi dressed in white & Johnny dressed in black)
    Thanks!
    Yes this track does not sound like a line feed from the mixing desk, unlike the recordings Jimi did himself during this period.
    It sounds like someone put a tape deck out in the audience.
    Knowing Johnny's slide playing style well, I'm pretty sure it's not him. Too simple.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 221 Posts

Alexis Korner played a very simple slide guitar. Could it be him? Maybe it was recorded in London? With e.g. Ian Stewart on piano?
    Personally I never thought about London before.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We've heard the rumors of established guitar players following Hendrix around London in 1967 with tape recorders to try to copy his style and signature guitar licks. I believe the Flamingo Club recording is one of these rumored tapes. Are there any signs that this might also be one of these recordings?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danksquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danksquad View Post
    We've heard the rumors of established guitar players following Hendrix around London in 1967 with tape recorders to try to copy his style and signature guitar licks. I believe the Flamingo Club recording is one of these rumored tapes. Are there any signs that this might also be one of these recordings?
    That's the problem, no one has any circumstantial knowledge of this tape. It's been assumed to be from NYC in spring 1968 just because he recorded a lot of his own jams in that period. Could just as well be London.

To me it sounds like he is sitting in on someone else's gig; no guitar effects at all, and a song that's easy to perform off the cuff for any band versed in blues.
    I still like the idea of summer 1966, but there's not much to back that up either except the lack of any guitar effects and presence of slide guitar, which is what Randy California played. The playing sounds like it's between 1966 and early 1968.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

First surfaced on the Italian bootleg cd "Broadcasts"in 1992 on the Luna label. Wonder who sold them the tape?
    It's listed as Recorded Live at in London, 1968 with Alexis Korner on slide guitar. But I don't think there's any documentation that they played together except at the BBC.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post: