Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

38 CDs, 432 Tracks - 267 Previously Unreleased
    Blu-ray of the Director’s Cut of the Woodstock Film

Contains the entire festival except 3 songs. Guess what 2 of the 3 songs that are missing are.... The JHE Larry Lee tracks. Lame. You mean to tell me the secured the rights to all artists to release everything except the Jimi Larry tracks?!?!? and one other song that probably wasn't recorded.

I find the Larry Lee tracks to be fine on Bootlegs. Why would EH be the only org not to cough everything up?!??! Will be interesting to see if the mix is any different than the EH releases I guess....

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

Looks like there will be three editions released. The huge one referenced above is the "Definitive 50th Anniversary Archive". There will also be a 10 disc, 162 track version called the "50th Anniversary Experience" and a 3 disc "50th Anniversary Collection" It'll be on Rhino. Vinyl will be available for the smallest version (5 LPs) and downloads will be available for the "50th Anniversary Experience" version. I hope they don't compress the digital versions to hell!

Lastly, here's the official website:

https://www.rhino.com/woodstock50

Supposedly the super deluxe version is limited to...wait for it...1969 copies.
    Last edited by jeffhmason; 05-09-19 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added additional info

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When I saw the news about this huge collection from Woodstock '69 I had a bad feeling Janie was going to screw over the fan base once again but reserved that judgement and had small hope it wouldn't be the case... I immediately came here being this is the best place for everything and anything Hendrix and my fears came to be true... How can you not release the show in full finally? Are you that greedy (yes she is) that you can't for once just give us the fans what we want? Disappointing...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mvmellon02 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

On the Optimistic side maybe EH is holding back because they will be releasing their own stand alone complete Jimi set this year separately. Then you can buy the complete woodstock festival.... well almost. Shortly thereafter or concurrently enhance that buy with yet another EH release that finally has the complete Jimi performance and a mix where you can actually hear Larry Lee and the percussionists. EH makes more money fans get complete Woodstock. We’re done here.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    On the Optimistic side maybe EH is holding back because they will be releasing their own stand alone complete Jimi set this year separately. Then you can buy the complete woodstock festival.... well almost. Shortly thereafter or concurrently enhance that buy with yet another EH release that finally has the complete Jimi performance and a mix where you can actually hear Larry Lee and the percussionists. EH makes more money fans get complete Woodstock. We’re done here.
    That makes no sense. That's not cost effective for anyone. The same thing happened when BOG was originally released. San Diego 69 live was mixed and ready to go, yet never released.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharpstat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpstat View Post
    That makes no sense. That's not cost effective for anyone. The same thing happened when BOG was originally released. San Diego 69 live was mixed and ready to go, yet never released.
    Of course its not cost effective!!! The point is EH likes likes to sell u the same product over and over again or slightly altered versions while they delay releasing things that have never been released.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mvmellon02 View Post
    When I saw the news about this huge collection from Woodstock '69 I had a bad feeling Janie was going to screw over the fan base once again but reserved that judgement and had small hope it wouldn't be the case... I immediately came here being this is the best place for everything and anything Hendrix and my fears came to be true... How can you not release the show in full finally? Are you that greedy (yes she is) that you can't for once just give us the fans what we want? Disappointing...
    I feel your pain. Came here to see the same thing, alas continued disappointment from EH in regards to the Gypsy Sun and Rainbows set. If Janie/McDermott/Kramer want to honor Jimi's legacy in full they should release the complete Rainbows set in full w/ no edits. Especially for the 50th Anny. Mastermind alone is a true festival gem and highlight.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to susep73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 782 Posts

Couldn't it be that the Marvin Gaye Estate wants a lot of money for these two songs' release as well?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    Couldn't it be that the Marvin Gaye Estate wants a lot of money for these two songs' release as well?
    Did you mean Curtis Mayfield?

Thanks

I say bring it. The mastering engineer for EH brick walled all the previous releases. Maybe the new one will have a lighter touch?

Thanks

I am probably going to get this - after all, it's something I've dreamed of owning for much of my life. It may cost me my marriage, but hey, it's Woodstock! I'd prefer a music only set, even a download, so hopefully that will be available down the line. What sticks in my craw is Janey's pettiness. When I first read the article announcing the release stating every performance minus a couple of tracks, what popped into my head immediately was that it was "Gypsy Woman" and "Mastermind". I suppressed my cynicism, however, only to read a few paragraphs later that Janey requested the performance be withheld for "aesthetic reasons". What the hell does that even mean? Is it because Jimi isn't singing? Because they're not "Fire" or "Purple Haze"? There are many reasons why they should be included:

1) They're great songs
    2) They are wonderfully performed - little oasis' amidst the storm of the remainder of the set.
    3) Their ties to Jimi's musical roots
    4) The rarity of the performances themselves.

Janey and her ilk don't seem capable of putting out a bowl of punch without a turd floating in it.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mike1169 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 782 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    Did you mean Curtis Mayfield?
    Yep, sorry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike1169 View Post
    I am probably going to get this - after all, it's something I've dreamed of owning for much of my life. It may cost me my marriage, but hey, it's Woodstock! I'd prefer a music only set, even a download, so hopefully that will be available down the line. What sticks in my craw is Janey's pettiness. When I first read the article announcing the release stating every performance minus a couple of tracks, what popped into my head immediately was that it was "Gypsy Woman" and "Mastermind". I suppressed my cynicism, however, only to read a few paragraphs later that Janey requested the performance be withheld for "aesthetic reasons". What the hell does that even mean? Is it because Jimi isn't singing? Because they're not "Fire" or "Purple Haze"? There are many reasons why they should be included:

1) They're great songs
    2) They are wonderfully performed - little oasis' amidst the storm of the remainder of the set.
    3) Their ties to Jimi's musical roots
    4) The rarity of the performances themselves.

Janey and her ilk don't seem capable of putting out a bowl of punch without a turd floating in it.
    She actually said that! What a crock. Where did she say that? Of course those aesthetics didn't stop her from releasing Mastermind on West Coast Seattle Boy. Holding these tracks back for what will finally be the definitive Woodstock set is just pathetic.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

The Hendrix content is set to stay the same as was released in the late 90's mix wise and from a safety copy it seems, as the late 90's release appears to have been!

So, in short ………………….. nothing new. No new mix, no improved source tape, no new content. At least EH are consistent!

What a fuss they all made of AD's failings to source from "master", or so EH claimed back in the mid 90's! I wonder if EH will allow for a better digital master?
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

They should release Jimi's entire set unedited. Who cares if Larry Lee is out of tune at outset of Mastermind, Jimi plays beautifully. All the banter, pauses, off mic talk are priceless. Its kind of surprising too because John McDermott knows the real deal. It surprises me he would go along w/ Lanie's vision of Jimi fully knowing its not 100%? We love it all.
    Fascinating that Jimi wanted to play an acoustic set to open the show that Friday but, Jeffery disapproved.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to susep73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When Janie took over I said to fellow Hendrix's Fans on the internet and beyond that things will never be the same and she has no motive apart from making lots of $$$ and people derided me and said things were good now with the Hendrix vault, its in 'family' ?? safe hands etc and I tried to explain to fellow fans on forums that we will only have rubbish from now on etc and got shot down most times, I tried to defend Douglas's releases and all the bootlegs we now have access to! I said we will never have it as good as the Douglas years again because he was the Hendrix Fan's Friend but people can not get over 'Crash Landing etc' and what a bad person he was all EH generated propaganda, as I said many times Douglas was the fan and bootleggers friend and at least was from the same mindset of Hendrix despite a few mistakes he made along the way if not for him we would never have all this unreleased gold we share here and I for one are very glad Douglas was involved in the time he was and then with the release of EH Blue Angel fellow fans said it was because the master tape was in bad shape or other lame excuses (the fact Midnight/Foxy was split was a pretty good idea about how EH went about things) then came EH Winterland people started to take notice of what I was saying despite still being criticized by EH fanatics sometime exchanged words which were quite brutal as I tried to make my point again and again that they are making cuts to protect their assets because it is just business as far as EH are concerned they don't give a rats shit about the fan or people hearing Hendrix's music in the best possible way or dare I say his future legacy or what he stood for, then we got that terrible 'Valley's Of Neptune' mash up etc and that so called trilogy, I still buy it like a sucker hoping for something good, but it is so gawd bland compared to what we have had and know is available... well to end my rant and for those of you reading this and know who I am all I can say is 'I did tell you so'
    Last edited by Newrisingsun; 06-10-19 at 06:30 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newrisingsun For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Newrisingsun View Post
    When Janie took over I said to fellow Hendrix's Fans on the internet and beyond that things will never be the same and she has no motive apart from making lots of $$$ and people derided me and said things were good now with the Hendrix vault, its in 'family' ?? safe hands etc and I tried to explain to fellow fans on forums that we will only have rubbish from now on etc and got shot down most times, I tried to defend Douglas's releases and all the bootlegs we now have access to! I said we will never have it as good as the Douglas years again because he was the Hendrix Fan's Friend but people can not get over 'Crash Landing etc' and what a bad person he was all EH generated propaganda, as I said many times Douglas was the fan and bootleggers friend and at least was from the same mindset of Hendrix despite a few mistakes he made along the way if not for him we would never have all this unreleased gold we share here and I for one are very glad Douglas was involved in the time he was and then with the release of EH Blue Angel fellow fans said it was because the master tape was in bad shape or other lame excuses (the fact Midnight/Foxy was split was a pretty good idea about how EH went about things) then came EH Winterland people started to take notice of what I was saying despite still being criticized by EH fanatics sometime exchanged words which were quite brutal as I tried to make my point again and again that they are making cuts to protect their assets because it is just business as far as EH are concerned they don't give a rats shit about the fan or people hearing Hendrix's music in the best possible way or dare I say his future legacy or what he stood for, then we got that terrible 'Valley's Of Neptune' mash up etc and that so called trilogy, I still buy it like a sucker hoping for something good, but it is so gawd bland compared to what we have had and know is available... well to end my rant and for those of you reading this and know who I am all I can say is 'I did tell you so'
    In saying that, would we have ever got to see the complete film of Woodstock, with the B/W footage, Monterey with multi angle or the complete available footage from IOW??? Or even the footage from Miami and Randall's Island? Douglas's releases of IOW and Woodstock were incomplete and out of order. I'm sure they're both as bad as each other but I don't believe Douglas was any better, I was actually glad when he was gone.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to mickliz1971 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

If you want to debate who was the "better" custodian, please start a new thread. Thanks
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Is it possible that EH don't have the masters, and they only have this 'safety tape', and it is in the hands of someone else who can not do anything with it because EH own the rights etc, they would not tell us this would they and have to go along with the bullshit excuses, i no longer trust anything McDermot writes or says to be truth etc
    Last edited by Newrisingsun; 06-14-19 at 09:07 AM. Reason: grammar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    If you want to debate who was the "better" custodian, please start a new thread. Thanks
    yep ok