Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69

Thread: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,019
    Thanks
    3,280
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by Newrisingsun View Post
    Is it possible that EH don't have the masters, and they only have this 'safety tape', and it is in the hands of someone else who can not do anything with it because EH own the rights etc, they would not tell us this would they and have to go along with the bullshit excuses, i no longer trust anything McDermot writes or says to be truth etc
    I have no idea if the actual masters still exist. I do know that the lowest generational "master" is in the vaults of Warner.

    Any "right" to release remain with EH and they can and do dictate as to what can is used outside of their control. In other words, they only allow either the original mix [stereo or fold down mono] or what Eddie Kramer mixed for the 97 release.

    Any new mix will only come out from EH in the future.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 124 Times in 35 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    $800 and we can't even get the complete Jimi set?

    I'd be more likely to BET $800 on the fact that they will probably release a $1,000 version with those songs on it at some point.

    Bullshit.

    Chris Elliott
    I own every CD release Experience Hendrix has ever put out including singles, boxed sets, special editions, live performances, and Dagger releases. I love making my own contextual mixes such as First Rays mixes based on Jimi's hand written track-lists, and the one I'm currently working on, a compilation of all of the material Jimi and Stephen Stills put together.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mccflo99 For This Useful Post:


  5. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,073
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked 816 Times in 289 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by mccflo99 View Post
    $800 and we can't even get the complete Jimi set?

    I'd be more likely to BET $800 on the fact that they will probably release a $1,000 version with those songs on it at some point.

    Bullshit.

    Chris Elliott
    I feel your frustration but I highly doubt Rhino/Warners will re-issue this set again with the complete Hendrix set (or on physical media again at all for that matter). Keep in mind that it was EH's call to not include the Larry Lee tracks and that Hendrix is the ONLY artist on the upcoming box set with part of an available performance missing. Sha Na Na has a song missing but it's been reported that it is either incomplete on the tapes or was not recorded at all. That makes EH the lone holdout. The speculation has been made that all the participating artists gave the go ahead to finally release their full sets for two reasons.

    1. For copyright protection purposes as once they pass the 50 year mark, some gray area loopholes might permit their audio to be released without their permission (and without them getting key revenue from the release).
    2. Because they believe digital physical media is dying and this is probably the last chance to sell this material to interested parties. Baby boomers aren't getting any younger and if the next generation(s) have truly turned their back on all physical media save vinyl, they just might be right.

    Since Sony has the contract with EH at this point, from a financial standpoint (only), I can see why they didn't want to share the full set with Rhino/Warners as it would compete with a potential future release of their own. I personally think that for the sake of honoring the 50th anniversary of such a historically significant event, they should have at least allowed Andy Zax and company's unique mix of the Hendrix set to be released as something different and unheard. Lastly, if EH wanted to capitalize on a 50th anniversary release, they should have at least put out SOMETHING other than a single disc distillation of a release that's still in print! Other artists (like Credence Clearwater Revival) have announced stand alone versions of their full Woodstock sets. I suspect we'll see others as well, although perhaps not until after Rhino's "big box" comes out.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:


  7. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,668
    Thanks
    1,075
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 599 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    I feel your frustration but I highly doubt Rhino/Warners will re-issue this set again with the complete Hendrix set (or on physical media again at all for that matter). Keep in mind that it was EH's call to not include the Larry Lee tracks and that Hendrix is the ONLY artist on the upcoming box set with part of an available performance missing. Sha Na Na has a song missing but it's been reported that it is either incomplete on the tapes or was not recorded at all. That makes EH the lone holdout. The speculation has been made that all the participating artists gave the go ahead to finally release their full sets for two reasons.

    1. For copyright protection purposes as once they pass the 50 year mark, some gray area loopholes might permit their audio to be released without their permission (and without them getting key revenue from the release).
    2. Because they believe digital physical media is dying and this is probably the last chance to sell this material to interested parties. Baby boomers aren't getting any younger and if the next generation(s) have truly turned their back on all physical media save vinyl, they just might be right.

    Since Sony has the contract with EH at this point, from a financial standpoint (only), I can see why they didn't want to share the full set with Rhino/Warners as it would compete with a potential future release of their own. I personally think that for the sake of honoring the 50th anniversary of such a historically significant event, they should have at least allowed Andy Zax and company's unique mix of the Hendrix set to be released as something different and unheard. Lastly, if EH wanted to capitalize on a 50th anniversary release, they should have at least put out SOMETHING other than a single disc distillation of a release that's still in print! Other artists (like Credence Clearwater Revival) have announced stand alone versions of their full Woodstock sets. I suspect we'll see others as well, although perhaps not until after Rhino's "big box" comes out.
    Last I checked, "Live At Woodstock" was a double disc release.

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,019
    Thanks
    3,280
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Last I checked, "Live At Woodstock" was a double disc release.
    Yes it is and still is but a single disc release has been issued this year.

    http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...-Woodstock-Why
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:


  10. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,073
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked 816 Times in 289 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Last I checked, "Live At Woodstock" was a double disc release.
    See Fenders Fingers post as I was talking about the release specifically being put out to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Woodstock (note the revised color of the cover):

    https://www.amazon.com/LIVE-AT-WOODS...a-741082537646
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Yeah, this is all a fucking joke. Fuck you, "Janie".

  12. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,632
    Thanks
    992
    Thanked 809 Times in 285 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    I thought the Director's Cut mix of Spanish Castle Magic on the 40th Box set was phenomenal. Total breath of fresh compared to the EH brickwall. Super bummed if this turns out to be true.

    Jimi Hendrix shared the stage with many musicians that day and they need to do the same with their releases and mixing of those musicians...

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:


  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,019
    Thanks
    3,280
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    I thought the Director's Cut mix of Spanish Castle Magic on the 40th Box set was phenomenal. Total breath of fresh compared to the EH brickwall. Super bummed if this turns out to be true.

    Jimi Hendrix shared the stage with many musicians that day and they need to do the same with their releases and mixing of those musicians...
    This is simply a different edit to the version that appears on the DVD, Jimi Hendrix, Live at Woodstock.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nijmegen
    Posts
    3,756
    Thanks
    3,183
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 263 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    This is simply a different edit to the version that appears on the DVD, Jimi Hendrix, Live at Woodstock.
    Much better shots from a frontal camera, though. I prefer this edit too.

  16. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    568
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 214 Times in 86 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    My concern with CCT is the lack of membership. I have seen a big decline in people who post messages here. I personally have had problems actually logging in here for years.
    I'm still a Jimi Hendrix fan but I have had a huge change in my personal circumstances losing virtually everything I owned.

  17. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,676
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 9,381 Times in 2,343 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by ranasakawa View Post
    My concern with CCT is the lack of membership. I have seen a big decline in people who post messages here. I personally have had problems actually logging in here for years.
    I'm still a Jimi Hendrix fan but I have had a huge change in my personal circumstances losing virtually everything I owned.
    CTT Presently has 10,666 members.

  18. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nijmegen
    Posts
    3,756
    Thanks
    3,183
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 263 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by ranasakawa View Post
    My concern with CCT is the lack of membership. I have seen a big decline in people who post messages here. I personally have had problems actually logging in here for years.
    I'm still a Jimi Hendrix fan but I have had a huge change in my personal circumstances losing virtually everything I owned.
    Wow, I am sorry to hear that you have fared badly. I wish you a lot of strength!

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:


  20. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,632
    Thanks
    992
    Thanked 809 Times in 285 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Director 1.gifDirector's Cut.gif

    Director's cut on the left, EH 2010 CD on the right.

    Director's cut uses a different mix and mastering with free dynamics. You can feel the kick drum, bass, the microphones sound different.

    EH release is maxed out wall to wall. You can hear it but the feel is taken away with the lack of dynamics.


    And with the visual proof, I will play devil's advocate and place my order. Hopefully the more dynamic mix is indeed used again on this release.

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:


  22. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,019
    Thanks
    3,280
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    Director 1.gifDirector's Cut.gif

    Director's cut on the left, EH 2010 CD on the right.

    Director's cut uses a different mix and mastering with free dynamics. You can feel the kick drum, bass, the microphones sound different.

    EH release is maxed out wall to wall. You can hear it but the feel is taken away with the lack of dynamics.


    And with the visual proof, I will play devil's advocate and place my order. Hopefully the more dynamic mix is indeed used again on this release.
    Yes, to a degree I spoke of the different edit for the film.

    The actual mix detail is mired in confusion.

    the directors cut from 1994 clearly pre dates Experience Hendrix and the Kramer 1999 mix for film and audio. It was remastered for release on BR and DVD in 2009.

    The original 94 Wadleigh release, unfortunately all of the audio originating from the Woodstock stage , both music and announcements, were subjected to "generous helpings" of digital reverb.
    The Director's Cut version had added Hendrix content as follows, extended from the original film:
    Voodoo Chile [sr]
    Woodstock Impro'
    and an extended Purple Haze

    the original mixes would have been done by Blackstead [and team].
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:


  24. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    2,236
    Thanks
    903
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Sorry just moved so cash strapped though I have contributed anonymously in years past I cannot contribute this year at least in the short term. Still one of the best sites ever made surrounding a single artist

  25. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    2,236
    Thanks
    903
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Yes, to a degree I spoke of the different edit for the film.

    The actual mix detail is mired in confusion.

    the directors cut from 1994 clearly pre dates Experience Hendrix and the Kramer 1999 mix for film and audio. It was remastered for release on BR and DVD in 2009.

    The original 94 Wadleigh release, unfortunately all of the audio originating from the Woodstock stage , both music and announcements, were subjected to "generous helpings" of digital reverb.
    The Director's Cut version had added Hendrix content as follows, extended from the original film:
    Voodoo Chile [sr]
    Woodstock Impro'
    and an extended Purple Haze

    the original mixes would have been done by Blackstead [and team].
    And that reverb is out of control 94 and beyond. Makes me want to seek a pre “directors cut”

  26. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    2,236
    Thanks
    903
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    And that reverb is out of control 94 and beyond. Makes me want to seek a pre “directors cut”
    The newest blu ray (pre this upcoming release) is also filled with reverb so things havent goten any better after 94. The EH CD release may brickwalled but at least it doesnt have the horrid reverb. Actually I think the newest EH Woodstock BlU Ray is top draw though. That one is a fantastic release!! I would be happy with that one plus another release where u can actually hear the percussionists and Larry Lee. Doesnt look like that will be happening on this boxset and we wont get the missjng songs either. Right now my go to versions for Jimi at Woodstock are the newest EH Blu Ray and the Doiglas Laserdisc for another really enjoyable take/mix even if weirdly edited and incomplete. Occasionally Ill pull out the Classic records Orange vinyl but it doesnt hold up to the EH Blu Ray imo.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:


  28. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,179
    Thanks
    1,988
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 782 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    CTT Presently has 10,666 members.
    Wow, if all these members just put in $5 each we would have CTT running for 50 years!

    (I donated)

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:


  30. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Bay of Plenty New Zealand
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 52 Times in 35 Posts

    Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

    Man, imagine if they did a DVD release of the festival like this

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBitty (VBTT) 4 for XBT v1.1 CUSTOM by Toolmanwill