Thread: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

Thanks

Re: massive Woodstock 50th anniversary release

Damn right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    CTT Presently has 10,666 members.
    I'd help, and have had a look and tried, but don't have a credit card. Sorry, folks.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,381 Times in 2,343 Posts

You could always give the cash to someone else to pay using their credit card.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've just listened to 3 available tracks on new 10CD set, and it seems to me that this is different mix, I can hear more instruments, for example and the start of Izabella on Experience 2CD set Jimi Guitar is on center, while on this release guitar on right and you can hear faint Mitch sounds on left, also Larry Lee guitar is higher in the mix. Also mastering in on another level - not loud and much more dynamic.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gilbertas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gilbertas View Post
    I've just listened to 3 available tracks on new 10CD set, and it seems to me that this is different mix, I can hear more instruments, for example and the start of Izabella on Experience 2CD set Jimi Guitar is on center, while on this release guitar on right and you can hear faint Mitch sounds on left, also Larry Lee guitar is higher in the mix. Also mastering in on another level - not loud and much more dynamic.
    gilbertas, I was going to give my 2 cents worth, but you took the words right out of my mouth. There's a tiny hiccup at the 8:42 mark of Hear My Train A Comin'. Anyone else notice this?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to schmitty76 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It seems that these are just the same mixes as on on old Woodstock and Woodstock II soundtrack albums, and 38 CD box will contain same old 1999 mix.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gilbertas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Where can I hear these samples? Would be interesting to hear any differences from the original.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,017 Posts

Guys, please refrain from sharing offical material so openly here, thanks. Let's respect others and protect CTT.

PM's and sharing works well too. In instances like this [where the debate is of possible new mixes], short samples of those tracks in question can be shared openly.

Back to these "new" mixes.

I don't yet have the massive set or 10 CD/ 5 LP but I can say this without question. There are no NEW mixes included here. Andy Zax, who was involved with the production of this set says so.

The only group that can issue / licence any new mix are Experience Hendrix and they have so far refused to allow the known new mixes [I say new but they are at least 10 years old] to be issued and have not as yet produced any new mix from this performance themselves, though they did make a copy of the existing master a number of years ago.
    Last edited by Fenders Fingers; 07-03-19 at 04:07 AM.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"...But the true revelation of this release is simply how great the newly restored recordings sound. Zax and Kehew approached the mixing by referring to photographic documentation, which allowed them to situate the performers within the mix based on where they were standing onstage. Comparing the original soundtrack to the 2019 product is like switching from black and white to Technicolor: The compression and flatness that choked the life out of the original release is gone. The result is a sonically welcoming experience that is as immersive as you could want; it is a joy to listen to."

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...rsary-archive/

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Anyone here buy that full set? I hear it sold out despite the high price point?
    Not yet had any opportunity to sit with the smaller set I have. Looking forward to it despite nothing new Jimi wise.

Thanks

I´m pretty satisfied with the boot album "The Lord Of The Strings" bootleg, it got it all

Thanks

I wonder why there is no discussion that in all official audio and video releases not only the two tracks Mastermind and Gypsy Woman are missing, but also Larry Lee's guitar solos in Red Hause and Voodoo Chile are brutally cut out. You can see it in the videos when Jimi points his finger to Larry 'It's your turn', and --- cut! The whole set (except the introducing Message of Love, as far as I remember) in his original audio shape (most audio on one channel) was available on a bootleg named Woodstock Nation. The cuts were extremely unfair, although you can hear that Larry's amplification could not match with Jimi's. I also don't think they will ever release the original set, so look for the bootleg, it's really good.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HenLenWil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 374 Posts

I know some will say that Larry Lee was out of tune, but I've heard the unedited versions and I'd rather have him present.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

EH believes those tracks don't rise to the expected "Jimi" level. They keep repeating over and over that they are below-par tracks. Like a certain president, they feel that if they keep repeating it over and over, then it must be true. Fact is, every Woodstock release from EH is incomplete without those tracks, no matter what they say.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 469 Posts

I really thought they might release it this year as seperate from the the box set. If the 50th anniversary isn't enough to get the full show out there they may very well horde it forever. Sad as a mix with Larry, Juma and Jerry Velez audible really needs to be released not to mention the missing tracks. Gypsy Woman /Aware of Love is great. Mastermind not at the level of the studio release on West Coast Seattle Boy but still worth hearing as part of the context of the entire show.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    I really thought they might release it this year as seperate from the the box set. If the 50th anniversary isn't enough to get the full show out there they may very well horde it forever. Sad as a mix with Larry, Juma and Jerry Velez audible really needs to be released not to mention the missing tracks. Gypsy Woman /Aware of Love is great. Mastermind not at the level of the studio release on West Coast Seattle Boy but still worth hearing as part of the context of the entire show.
    Is it possible that is something impossible to release?

Sure, add the missing tracks. Really no need not too for the originally touted "Historic" performance! But if the mic's didn't capture some / all of the performers on the stage that morning there is little that can be done now!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It baffles me why they won't release these 2 songs when Jimi was at a very creative time in his music, but yet they have released 2 Cd's worth of Curtis Knight which I refused to buy, because I know it's crap.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 469 Posts

Listen to Woodstock 2 that is the one mix where u can really hear those 3 musicians in the mix. The most recent EH 5.1 Blu Ray u can hear them some. I love the newest Blu Ray but we need a pure historic release of the set.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes, some releases we get to hear them more, unfortunately they were not mic'd up!

There is no release that I'm aware of that presents the whole band correctly because of the limited recorded tracks available to Kramer that day. Eight, and take out the audience and timing tracks that leaves six.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So not only EH did not allow to include Larry Lee songs or remix existing material, even remastering was not allowed, this is the same digital compressed copy as in 1999 2CD. So whole box is dynamic, but the most important Artist in festival gets undermixed, cut, digitally compressed treatment, thank you Janie.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gilbertas For This Useful Post: