Thread: Room Full of Mirrors (rehearsal) Baltimore

Thanks

Room Full of Mirrors (rehearsal) Baltimore

What is the origin of the first track ?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alien For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Room Full of Mirrors (rehearsal) Baltimore

If this is a rehearsal from the show it begs the question was there a rehearsal because it was going to be recorded ala Berkeley?! Also odd that an audience tape of a rehearsal exists - sounds like an audience type tape anyway.

Thanks

IMO,

A .
    Baltimore

The Rehearsal and Concert are recorded with the same Mono* Microphone and Equipment.

The rehearsal is recorded in a small sized room, with the bass in Jimi's amplifiers being very present.

The concert has the same microphone placement, but the sound is somehow thinner, possibly through digital remastering of the original recording.

Just a theory, but

B.
    Madison

The 3rd Source (Mono*), also near the stage, has nearly identical Microphone sound wave characteristics (Using IzotopeRX 6 Advanced EQ Match) but are recorded in totally different locations.

The Madison and Baltimore recording's may come from different collectors, thus, the different tape generations and sound quality, but identical source (equipment and near the stage).

Is it possible someone in or close to the band was recording various shows with the same mono recording equipment?

Were more shows recorded in a similar fashion? We know Jimi had a passion for making private reference recordings. There are reports that Billy and Jimi were listening to a reference recording of the 09/04 Berlin concert on the way to Fehmarn.

Just a theory I thought I would share.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Interesting that on this tape there is a Room Full of Mirrors rehearsal and then when the song is played during the show, whoever is recording says right after, "not bad, not bad at all." Who is this mystery person? It seems as they are very near or on the stage with special access and that there was a special interest in the song. Interesting theory above about Madison being from the same taper and yes, the connection may go to Berlin 70 as there was a recording of that show that Jimi was listening to the next day. Maybe that tape has the end of the show!!! :-)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 347 Posts

When this torrent appeared thanks to carlygtr - it was said that the rehearsal section was probably not related to Baltimore show. Johan wrote "The last track on the disc is another mystery item. Room Full Of Mirrors, seemingly 2 short takes from a session or rehearsal.
    The pitch and tempo are almost identical to the RFOM version released on Morning Symphony Ideas, which was recorded in the Record Plant NYC on 25 sep 69. Its possible that these takes are earlier takes from that session, but its hard to be 100% sure about this because of the sound quality and how short the pieces are"

I am not convinced that it has anything to actually do with Baltimore show...just happened to get appended. The guy saying not bad at all - just a reaction to a new track that no one had heard - I don't think it is related to the "rehearsal"...Perhaps carlygtr can shed a bit more light on this?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi! Nothing to add. This Room Full Of Mirrors rehearsal was on the Baltimore tape as I received it many years ago.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlygtr56 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlygtr56 View Post
    Hi! Nothing to add. This Room Full Of Mirrors rehearsal was on the Baltimore tape as I received it many years ago.
    Is there a torrent for this ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alien View Post
    Is there a torrent for this ?
    I'm pretty sure that this is

1970-06-13 Baltimore 5th source

but I'm prepared to be wrong if directed otherwise !

Unfortunately, DHT, Local Peer Discovery and Peer Exchange are all disabled on this torrent and the tracker's down at present...
    so here's a "WeTransfer" link valid for 7 days.
    https://we.tl/t-gSXTknk2RN

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shnfoobar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    The guy saying not bad at all - just a reaction to a new track that no one had heard - I don't think it is related to the "rehearsal"...Perhaps carlygtr can shed a bit more light on this?
    That was my take in it too, just a reaction to a new track. Pretty good reaction I thought. Also Kind of interested to hear a 'fresh' response to 'new' Jimi track 50 years later...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pukaha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shnfoobar View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this is

1970-06-13 Baltimore 5th source

but I'm prepared to be wrong if directed otherwise !

Unfortunately, DHT, Local Peer Discovery and Peer Exchange are all disabled on this torrent and the tracker's down at present...
    so here's a "WeTransfer" link valid for 7 days.
    https://we.tl/t-gSXTknk2RN
    Yes, you are correct it is "5th source". Very nice of you to do that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post: