Thread: Jimi Live Performance Resyncs?

Thanks

Jimi Live Performance Resyncs?

So I'm aware that JamminJimi on this forum posts audio resyncs when he does them of Live footage of Jimi, bur does anyone else post them here and if so, where exactly? I just did my own resync of Machine Gun at the Fillmore East (3rd show) from the remastared audio of Band Of Gypsys and I'm curious where to post it. I would love to share it for everyone to enjoy, and if its popular Ill do more.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallace1229 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 263 Posts

Re: Jimi Live Performance Resyncs?

You might get in trouble because if I'm not mistaken Sony (?) scans all music on YT to see whether the music it is copyrighted and then your clip would get banned

Thanks

Yes I'm very aware of that. I was planning on sharing it solely on this form, for the members to enjoy and distribute if they want.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

By 3rd show I assume you mean the 1/1/70 Early show. What kind of resynch are you talking about? Are you talking about synching completely to one of the raw camera feeds or both of them individually? That would be cool. A resych to the 99 EH camera edit? There is no need to resynch the 2011 EH camera edit since it sounds great already!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace1229 View Post
    Yes I'm very aware of that. I was planning on sharing it solely on this form, for the members to enjoy and distribute if they want.
    Even tho' there is some officially released stuff on the forums..
    my guess is that you'll have to share it thru PM(that's what I had to do with the Hendrix Rockband multi tracks) ...if you post a torrent ...it'll get pulled.
    --
    You could just upload it to Mega and see what happens...the Collectors Series has official material in it and they have Mega links here.

Thanks

BTW you can post your videos, also in anonymouse form here ..
    https://www.cda.pl/uploader
    me, and someone else posted Jimi'ìs video here, and no one was deleted...as youtubbes normally do...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longjam For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes, I was referring to the 3rd show on January 1st, 1970. I inserted a title card with a color photo with information about the show. I found a high quality "window dub" of Machine Gun and resynced the 1997 digitally remastered audio with the video. I had done it already before but my previous version was a much lower quality video that was heavily compressed. On top of being extremely pixilated, I had to splice two different sources together to get the full video since the first one cut out the ending. It was fun to do, and I'd be more than happy to do some more if people are interested.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    By 3rd show I assume you mean the 1/1/70 Early show. What kind of resynch are you talking about? Are you talking about synching completely to one of the raw camera feeds or both of them individually? That would be cool. A resych to the 99 EH camera edit? There is no need to resynch the 2011 EH camera edit since it sounds great already!
    Yes, I was referring to the 3rd show on January 1st, 1970. I inserted a title card with a color photo with information about the show. I found a high quality "window dub" of Machine Gun and resynced the 1997 digitally remastered audio with the video. I had done it already before but my previous version was a much lower quality video that was heavily compressed. On top of being extremely pixilated, I had to splice two different sources together to get the full video since the first one cut out the ending. It was fun to do, and I'd be more than happy to do some more if people are interested. For Machine Gun only one camera filmed it.

Thanks

That's totally cool you have immersed yourself in this project. I also like to go down the remastering/sync'ing rabbit hole, we definitely don't get paid to do it!

I can confirm that the 2011 BOG DVD had upgraded audio that was pretty stellar. Maybe the 2019 "Groovy Cheedreen" BOG release will be a good candidate for a re-sync as well.
    Five, Six, Seven.... lost count!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    That's totally cool you have immersed yourself in this project. I also like to go down the remastering/sync'ing rabbit hole, we definitely don't get paid to do it!

I can confirm that the 2011 BOG DVD had upgraded audio that was pretty stellar. Maybe the 2019 "Groovy Cheedreen" BOG release will be a good candidate for a re-sync as well.
    Did the 2011 re-release have all of the available Color footage also? I follow a great Instagram page that posts lots of rare and difficult to find footage of Jimi and I noticed there was footage of Auld Lang Syne, Who Knows, Power Of Soul, and Machine Gun (also fragmented) I was previously only aware of the footage of Fire, Stepping Stone, and Ezy Ryder.

Heres the page where i saw the additional footage: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3drjbUHSgc/

P.S. AS I was writing this, I noticed in the footage some of the brief shots were reused for certain songs like Fire for example, when in reality the shot belonged to Power Of Soul. So there might not be as much footage as I thought, but then again I don't own the BOG DVD, So everything I've seen was from the 3rd show and the fragments of the first show.

Thanks

Did the 2011 re-release have all of the available Color footage also?
    No...none at all except a brief clip in the documentary part(there's 3 versions of BOG doc)
    I follow a great Instagram page that posts lots of rare and difficult to find footage of Jimi and I noticed there was footage of Auld Lang Syne, Who Knows, Power Of Soul, and Machine Gun (also fragmented) I was previously only aware of the footage of Fire, Stepping Stone, and Ezy Ryder.

Heres the page where i saw the additional footage: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3drjbUHSgc/

P.S. AS I was writing this, I noticed in the footage some of the brief shots were reused for certain songs like Fire for example, when in reality the shot belonged to Power Of Soul. So there might not be as much footage as I thought, but then again I don't own the BOG DVD, So everything I've seen was from the 3rd show and the fragments of the first show.
    The instagram video is the old inferior version..of the countdown...
    https://i.postimg.cc/TYsVHJ6Q/BOGcolor.jpg

the other is the 'no time code' video on the same DVD...then there's the 'upgrade' video that someone on here took all the bits out of the DVD and synched them up to their corresponding songs...they are all available here on CTT.
    There is also some of the same footage over on...http://historicfilms.com/d68a
    ---
    all the color footage was SHOT BY AMALIE R. ROTHSCHILD
    WHO WORKED FOR JOSHUA LIGHT SHOW AT
    BILL GRAHAM'S FILLMORE EAST IN NEW YORK
    CITY 1968-71.

Thanks

CTT member Gregg has posted some of the best most recent synchs imo including BOG and a new Miami.

Here is the link to Gregg’s BOG.
    http://www.crosstowntorrents.org/sho...Power-of-Soul)

His Miami synch is also here about 4 to 5 pages back maybe more.

While I love the enthusiasm and effort here I am unsure of what your goal is. The EH 2011 release soundwise can’t be beat imo and if Machine Gun was only recorded by one BW camera there would be no reason to resynch it outside of the official release. Except...

The BW video quality of the raw camera feeds torrented here is actually better than EHs official video but for the sound it is the opposite. So it would be a worthwhile effort to synch the 2011 DVD sound withd the raw camera feed videos torrented here and if u really want to get creative insert the color footage Gregg already sycnched in areas where it exists and make a BW/color edit. Ideally both would be cool.

Then u have the added compication(in a good way) of the new audio release coming out in Nov. Might be easier to do rather than messing with the DVD sound files is mostly me point. Also keep in mind we dont know how the CDs will sound they may clipped and loud etc. Hopefully not though. Hopefully the sound at least as good or better than the 2011 DVD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    CTT member Gregg has posted some of the best most recent synchs imo including BOG and a new Miami.

Here is the link to Gregg’s BOG.
    http://www.crosstowntorrents.org/sho...Power-of-Soul)

His Miami synch is also here about 4 to 5 pages back maybe more.

While I love the enthusiasm and effort here I am unsure of what your goal is. The EH 2011 release soundwise can’t be beat imo and if Machine Gun was only recorded by one BW camera there would be no reason to resynch it outside of the official release. Except...

The BW video quality of the raw camera feeds torrented here is actually better than EHs official video but for the sound it is the opposite. So it would be a worthwhile effort to synch the 2011 DVD sound withd the raw camera feed videos torrented here and if u really want to get creative insert the color footage Gregg already sycnched in areas where it exists and make a BW/color edit. Ideally both would be cool.

Then u have the added complication(in a good way) of the new audio release coming out in Nov. Might be easier to do rather than messing with the DVD sound files is mostly me point. Also keep in mind we dont know how the CDs will sound they may clipped and loud etc. Hopefully not though. Hopefully the sound at least as good or better than the 2011 DVD.
    And if you really, really want to get creative colorize the BW film while your at it. This is something I have been dreaming of for quite some time and that is colorizing the plethora of great BW film we have of Jimi and officially release it with great sound. For purists who don't think that should happen you could release both the BW and Color versions in the same release and that way everyone would be happy. The one time I met Janie I asked her about colorizing BW Jimi film and she had zero interest. Or at least she said the people that do all the work for her either don't have the capability or don't have the interest is how I took it. I got the impression that she takes quite a bit of advice from the people who she contracts to do the work and isn't much interested in talking to anyone else. It also could have been that I was slightly inebriated when I talked to her and she really didn't take me seriously. Lastly she acted like she didn't even know this site existed which I find truly hard to believe. It is a shame because I have a friend who could truly do a professional job colorizing BW Jimi film and the technology has actually come a long way. He has no interest however, in doing it out of love or just for a hobby. He's a professional and wants to get paid for it and I'm sure paid well.

Thanks

Well for starters, I don’t own any version of the Band Of Gypsy’s DVD. I’ve only ever seen the documentary because someone posted it on Internet Archive for free. As for doing the resync it’s just a editing project I was interested in. I felt like utilizing the newer audio would be a great way to spice up the video. As you mentioned before also. The “window dub” I found was significantly higher quality than my original version. Details that were obscured in my original copy were now visible, such as the ruffles on Jimi’s outfit which were barely noticeable in the other video. That being said if someone has a copy of the 2011 re-release and would be willing to upload it, I can compare the audio and video sources. I’d also be more than happy to upload my work onto the forum, I’m just not very familiar with torrenting. So any assistance would be great.

As for colorizing the video, its definitely possible, with all the advances in technology. The issue that concerns me is I had a difficult time just finding a color photo of that show, let alone identifing the colors in the photo. On top of that to colorize it, I would have to manually color each video frame, which would be a pain in the ass to do. Unless there's a better more efficient way.

Thanks

Thanks for the background. If you haven’t seen the Officiial DVD BOG footage there have been 2 official releases of the BW video performance of 1/1/70 Early show. The 1999 release had far inferior sound (most likely used the sound from the videotape) to the later 2011 DVD release which synched sound from the multitrack masters with the video footage. The 2011 release also has a slightly different video edit as to where the 2 camera angles are used during the same areas of the song. It is not drastic but it is slightly differernt.

Fortunately we have the entire raw footage of each camera here. I believe the source is a first gen VHS I cant remember offhand. But anyway either the masters are deteriorating or EH simply didnt have them as the raw camera feed footage video portion here is better quality in most everyones opinion than what EH has released with their edits of the two cameras together. I am not sure what “the window dub” is. I assume you mean the raw camera footage from each of the 2 cameras used which would indeed match what is available here. Unfortunately the raw camera feeds torrented here have the same substandard sound as the 1999 official release.

Synching the 2011 official sound to the raw camera feeds (or windows dub if that is another name for them) would be probably the best the enite package could be made. Plus you would have great sound for the footage of each canera if u syched both of them individually and you would see the missing eidts of each camera not available on the EH edit since they merged the 2 camera angles together

Thanks

Thanks for the input. A window dub is a name for a working copy of a piece of film whenever the originals were worn out from excessive use. They then got copied as the new masters. The copy I found was definitely a window dub, because it had a burnt in timecode, (which is common for those) and it was much higher quality. The window dub was the raw camera footage for both, there were no sudden cuts to different camera feeds. I'm not aware of any other camera feeds for Machine Gun, but I could be wrong. Here's an article explaining how it works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt-in_timecode

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallace1229 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That being said if someone has a copy of the 2011 re-release and would be willing to upload it, I can compare the audio and video sources.
    sent a PM with direct Mega links for:
    Floor Footage(PAL)(3.47gig)
    Balcony Footage(PAL)(3.54gig)
    BOG 2011 DVD(PAL)(5.83gig)
    BOG 1999 DVD(PAL)(7.06gig)
    Color Footage(Bong)(1.82gig)
    Color Upgrade(Greg)(79mb)
    ---
    here's a comparison of the raw(left)the 1999 DVD(center) and the 2011 DVD(right)
    I did not alter or change any settings...this is how they look thru VLC player.
    https://i.postimg.cc/CM4MYJ2h/BOGcompare3.jpg
    here's a comparison of the raw vs the 1999 DVD...
    you have the choice of either the time code or having Jimi's head..
    https://i.postimg.cc/x8PL3Hgv/BOGcompare1.jpg
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 11-19-19 at 07:40 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you very much for the links. This will be very helpful for my future editing. With the 2011 dvd I can probably make a new even better version of my Resyncs. I also took a look at your screenshots and that’s pretty surprising that the copies of the footage on here are better than the official DVD release. With that being said, with the 2011 audio and higher quality video, we can create a definitive version of the Band Of Gypsy’s dvd. How exciting is that!?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallace1229 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you very much for the links. This will be very helpful for my future editing. With the 2011 dvd I can probably make a new even better version of my Resyncs. I also took a look at your screenshots and that’s pretty surprising that the copies of the footage on here are better than the official DVD release. With that being said, with the 2011 audio and higher quality video, we can create a definitive version of the Band Of Gypsy’s dvd. How exciting is that!?
    Let me know when you are finished downloading what you need , so I can delete them and regain some space...
    Oh...the 2011 has a 5.1 audio also in there...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    Let me know when you are finished downloading what you need , so I can delete them and regain some space...
    Oh...the 2011 has a 5.1 audio also in there...
    Hello again I've been meaning to message you but stuff keeps coming up and I haven't been able to. I downloaded just about everything I think I'll use for my future edits. So If you haven't already you can delete the files.