Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 347 Posts

Jimi Hendrix 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Songs For Groovy Children assembles all four historic debut concerts by Jimi Hendrix s newly assembled Band of Gypsys at New York s Fillmore East on New Years Eve 1969 and New Years Day 1970. Presented in their original performance sequence and encompassing 43 tracks across 5 CDs, the set boasts over two dozen tracks that have either never before been released commercially or have been newly remixed plus the full extended versions of songs originally released on the 1970 Band of Gypsys album. Measured alongside his triumphs at Monterey Pop and Woodstock, Hendrix's legendary Fillmore East concerts illustrated a critical turning point in a radiant career filled with indefinite possibilities. Earlier in 1969, The Jimi Hendrix Experience had closed a musical chapter and the guitarist assembled a new trio dubbed Band of Gypsys, consisting of Hendrix, his longtime friend Billy Cox, on bass, whom he had befriended when both were serving with the 101st Airborne Division Cox and Electric Flag drummer Buddy Miles, who would also contribute occasional lead vocals. Hendrix was inspired by his collaboration with Cox and Miles and this creative renewal drove the development of promising new material such as "Power Of Soul," "Burning Desire" and the extraordinary "Machine Gun." By the end of January 1970, the band was history, but the blend of funk, rock and soul pioneered by the trio had a profound impact. Notable devotees include funk pioneers Parliament-Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, the Isley Brothers and Bootsy Collins, extending all the way forward to hip-hop. Newly mixed and restored in sequence without edits, fans can finally hear Hendrix, Cox and Miles blast through their genre-defying sets that included freshly written songs like "Earth Blues" and "Stepping Stone," as well as supercharged Experience favorites inclusive of "Foxey Lady," "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," "Wild Thing," "Hey Joe" and "Purple Haze." Additionally, exciting new versions of Howard Tate's "Stop," "Steal Away," by Jimmy Hughes and a searing "Bleeding Heart" by Elmore James highlighted the command that the trio had over blues & R&B music. The lavish package is filled with unseen photos from talent such as Fillmore East house photographer Amalie Rothschild, Jan Blom (whose iconic, color saturated images provided the original artwork for 1970's Band of Gypsys) as well as Marshall Amplifier representative Marc Franklin, who had full access to the group in their dressing room backstage. The booklet features remembrances from bassist Billy Cox and liner notes by author/journalist/filmmaker Nelson George. Songs For Groovy Children was produced by Janie Hendrix, Eddie Kramer and John McDermott - the trio that has overseen every project for Experience Hendrix since 1995. The box set was mastered by Grammy-winning engineer Bernie Grundman.

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...6d29962a766283

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

Re: Jimi Hendrix 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

"That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Would be great if they did a Bluray version such as the Allman Brothers Fillmore East box I own

Anyway this CD box is a must get

Thanks

The previously "unknown" Steal Away, presumably in the set to placate Buddy Miles. How come this one escaped the bootlegs, I can't recall ever hearing about "Steal Away" before. Anyway ordered from amazon uk, £55 is a bit much, hope the price comes down a bit, £40-£45 would be more acceptable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deek57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

Band of Groovy. Avoiding the digital until I know what the final mastering is like.
    Would have preferred a 3 show set with all 3 shows complete. Drop the set we not long had from EH, Machine Gun.

Maybe the whole thing will also see SACD?
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deek57 View Post
    The previously "unknown" Steal Away, presumably in the set to placate Buddy Miles. How come this one escaped the bootlegs, I can't recall ever hearing about "Steal Away" before. Anyway ordered from amazon uk, £55 is a bit much, hope the price comes down a bit, £40-£45 would be more acceptable.

...and a never heard Lover Man. The last show wasn't audience-recorded.

Thanks

Holy crap, I didn't see this coming. Absolutely cannot wait for this. I would have preferred the long overdue Maui release but this will keep me more than happy in the meantime.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCoconut77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The track list

Source:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y97FMKC?tag=shtv.uk-21

Track listing & details
    Track Listings
    Disc: 1
    Power of Soul
    Lover Man
    Hear My Train a Comin'
    Changes
    Izabella
    Machine Gun
    Stop
    Ezy Ryder
    Bleeding Heart
    Earth Blues
    Burning Desire

Disc: 2
    Auld Lang Syne
    Who Knows
    Fire
    Ezy Ryder
    Machine Gun
    Stone Free
    Changes
    Message to Love
    Stop
    Foxey Lady

Disc: 3
    Who Knows
    Machine Gun
    Changes
    Power of Soul
    Stepping Stone
    Foxey Lady
    Stop
    Earth Blues
    Burning Desire

Disc: 4
    Stone Free
    Power of Soul
    Changes
    Message To Love
    Machine Gun
    Lover Man
    Steal Away
    Earth Blues

Disc: 5
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    We Gotta Live Together
    Wild Thing
    Hey Joe
    Purple Haze

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DoctorGero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm streaming 'steal away' by Jimmy Hughes right now; it is an R&B jam right up Buddy's alley. He will have been able to sing the s*it out of this song. If you like 'Stop' it's not too far off...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Who knew of 'Steal Away' ?

Thanks

Big Thanx FunkyDrummer
    best 'heads up' we've had in a long time !
    I am tumesciant with expectation !
    Cheers man

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ETHELFLOON For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

Yep that Allman Brothers Blu Ray is boss! Also has both 2.0 and 5.1 mixes. Donít think EH will go there unfortunately. Wonder if these will be Plangent Processed as well. I doubt that too unfortunately.

Thanks

You can get a copy of the first ďMessage to LoveĒ on iTunes, I bought it. Sounds good! Canít get the waveform to post, but thereís no clipping.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to trampledunderfoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 782 Posts

*previously unreleased

+first time on CD/LP/streaming (previously only available as part of concert film)

#longer, unedited versions of previously released material, and newly remixed

%back in print on CD/LP for the first time in a decade, and newly remixed

TRACK LISTING

12/31/69 1ST SET

1. Power Of Soul
    2. Lover Man
    3. Hear My Train A Cominí
    4. Changes
    5. Izabella
    6. Machine Gun
    7. Stop
    8. Ezy Ryder
    9. Bleeding Heart
    10. Earth Blues
    11. Burning Desire

12/31/69 2ND SET

1. Auld Lang Syne%
    2. Who Knows%
    3. Fire
    4. Ezy Ryder*
    5. Machine Gun%
    6. Stone Free
    7. Changes*
    8. Message To Love*
    9. Stop*
    10. Foxey Lady

1/1/70 1ST SET

1. Who Knows
    2. Machine Gun+
    3. Changes+
    4. Power Of Soul%
    5. Stepping Stone%
    6. Foxey Lady+
    7. Stop%
    8. Earth Blues+
    9. Burning Desire%

1/1/70 2ND SET

1. Stone Free%
    2. Power Of Soul#
    3. Changes#
    4. Message To Love#
    5. Lover Man
    6. Lover Man*
    7. Steal Away*
    8. Earth Blues%

1/1/70 2ND SET

1. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)%
    2. We Gotta Live Together#
    3. Wild Thing%
    4. Hey Joe*
    5. Purple Haze*

https://www.jimihendrix.com/music/ji...oovy-children/

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not overly impressed with the title, but,a long overdue release. Nice to see Experience Hendrix tying it in with the 50th anniversary of the shows. Hope the mastering does the material justice. I don't mind waiting for the Maui project, with a release as good as this!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to paul387 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 263 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alien View Post
    Who knew of 'Steal Away' ?
    Tony Brown described it as I Got To See You in his book Concert Files. He was one of the first to hear the multitrack tapes when they were located in the '90s.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks

Iím surprised that they didnít include voodoo child and purple haze from the 12/31/69 2nd show. Maybe they donít have them because of them not being soundboard recordings or perhaps they felt that those two songs were not worth releasing.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If they were planning this then why release the first show separately? Oh well, take my money, haha!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    Iím surprised that they didnít include voodoo child and purple haze from the 12/31/69 2nd show. Maybe they donít have them because of them not being soundboard recordings or perhaps they felt that those two songs were not worth releasing.
    If I remember correctly there was rumors that "Hear My Train" was played more than once. It looks like that's what they were, just rumors. Or again, maybe no Soundboard of it. Who Knows? (lol) - I be buying this set all the same.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnK For This Useful Post: