Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Thanks

Re: Jimi Hendrix 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

This just in:

Drummer Buddy Miles recalled working with Jimi Hendrix to create the Band of Gypsys song “Machine Gun” in a previously unreleased video interview.

Watch Buddy Miles Recall Jimi Hendrix and Band of Gypsys

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 263 Posts

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No stock available in Australia, where the clock is ahead of most of the rest of the world. Disappointing.

Thanks

I'm listening to it on Spotify, late at night, early morning.

Jimi says "songs for the groovy children" right before Power of Soul, first show 1/1/1970. (Edit: second show, I was sleep drunk)

Interesting to hear new songs (Lover man and Steal Away) and the extended Power of Soul.
    Last edited by DoctorGero; 11-22-19 at 04:21 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoctorGero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 782 Posts

Stop + Buddy Miles interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZDvAMoDRP0

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

Eddie Kramer

“I don’t know where the title comes from,” he tells me, first off, “but maybe it’s something he said at the concert.” Kramer didn’t actually attend the shows – he was busy assembling Electric Lady studios at the time – but he remembers their mixing sessions. “When it came time for Buddy Miles’s parts, where Buddy would take off on his own, whooping and yapping and doing his thing, Jimi would put his head down on the board and say, ‘shut the fuck up Buddy’. But, you know, they had a great relationship. Buddy could make him laugh. He wanted to have something that was funky. Roots blues, R&B-based – which was all, obviously, a part of his musical DNA. And I think the time was right for him to put that band together. He liked playing with Buddy. Buddy was the polar opposite of Mitch, in terms of feel. You know that classic statement Mitch made: ‘He’s like a fucking cement mixer?’ And it was true. Buddy was the right fit for this trio. Together, they were just incredible. Just so tight. It was the right band for the right moment in time, and Jimi really enjoyed playing with them, he really enjoyed the moment.

“I think it took a left turn right after that, though. I think Jimi wanted to get back to the Experience, and interestingly enough if you listen to what Mitch was doing after the Band of Gypsys, you can hear a distinct change in his drumming. It was much funkier. It was like he thought, hmmm yeah I see the direction. I’m gonna simplify some of what I’m doing and put a lot more funk in it. You really hear that in the next few months leading up to Cry of Love. And, by the way, I thought that band was fantastic. Mitch and Billy and Jimi were remarkable together. Not to take away from Band of Gypsys of course.”

What’s it like, I ask him, to return to music you first produced with the man himself 50 years ago, and to produce it again, in full? “I feel very connected to it,” he says. “It’s an honour. It was an honour working with Jimi Hendrix in the first place. Let’s get that straight. He changed so many people’s lives, including mine, and the trajectory of my life, having been associated with him. The thrill of sitting down and putting on a tape of Jimi Hendrix – you can’t help it.”

He and Janey Hendrix, with co-producer John McDermott, spent considerable time in LA going through the original tapes to prepare for Groovy Children. “The condition, thank God, of all of them, was good, and that’s because for a certain period of time – we started recording in late 1966 all the way through 1970, and the Cry of Love album – all tape manufacturers used a particular type of secret ingredient. Right after that time most governments made a stand against using this ingredient, and tape manufacturers scrambled like mad trying to figure out how to replace it, and the tapes that followed were crap. And that secret ingredient? Whale oil. Which was the adhesive they used [to bind the iron oxide in magnetic tape]. With the banning of whaling, it was no longer available.” Which meant a much-degraded quality of tape life for all the music that followed. “But with Jimi’s music, I can play any of those tapes today and they transfer perfectly.

While Kramer already had recourse to an earlier generation of digital conversions, for Groovy Children, these too are new, and of higher quality. “Technology has advanced so much, and I’ve done new analog-digital conversions with a programme called PURL, and it really helps. It increases the sonic presence, at the low end and the top end just that much more, and makes it sound much better. So these recordings are the best sounding since that first Band of Gypsys album. And we’ve tried to make it as unadulterated as possible.”

The life of the Band of Gypsies was all to brief. The aborted Madison Square Garden show revealed internal structural damage that couldn’t be repaired. Did Kramer see the end coming so quickly? “I wasn’t surprised that he didn’t do anything more with Buddy Miles,” Kramer admits. “The record speaks for itself – there was only one Jimi Hendrix and he felt Buddy was stealing his thunder. Which was a shame. I mean, he loved his playing, there’s no question about it, and there are great tracks Jimi recorded with Buddy Miles. The legacy is there. The guy was incredible, it was fatback, you know. He was a rock. It wasn’t that imaginative but that didn’t matter, because of what he brought to the party.”

Having prepared the complete set for release almost 50 years after first working on those tapes with Hendrix, what performances does he treasure the most? If there’s one song to choose from those four sets, which would it be? “Right off the bat, any of the Machine Guns are just ridiculously fabulous,” he says. “And while one or two are actually on a higher level than the others, you could take them all and put them all together and you’d have – who was it who said that after hearing “Machine Gun” you just had to sit down for a week? But it’s true, you know. The thing about “Machine Gun” and many of the other songs across these four live shows, is Jimi’s use of dynamics. It’s just so brilliant, His ability to just shut down and then go BAM, or bring it up gradually. He was an absolute master of dynamics. And Billy was right with him, and they’d whipped all that into shape in a couple of months to get those dynamics – and I think they reach a peak with “Machine Gun”. The other songs on there – “Who Knows”, “Hear My Train”, “Izabella”… you could go on and on. If you sit down and listen and analyse every single song from each show and look for the high points and low points, everyone will have a different answer, but you’ll always come back to “Machine Gun”.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Very amazing experience hearing the almost complete concerts once all the way through last night on Spotify.

We can all now easily create a complete concert set with this and the Vibratory merge from the Dec 31st Late Show.

The Dec 31st concerts sound like a warm-up for the second night on January 1st, where even though Jimi's guitar was fairly out of tune throughout both shows, the switch was "on" and he was firing on all cylinders creatively.

Biggest tape cut for me was "Lover Man" from the 4th show before the second half of the guitar solo starts, and maybe once more after that before the song ends. As I said, he was very out of tune, and then he hands it off to Buddy for "Steal Away" where he gets a chance to lay low and tune up.

All in all an amazing listen as a lifelong fan, especially hearing the complete "Earth Blues" and "Power Of Soul" from the second night.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:

Thanks

great release. and the quality is awesome. the solo in foxy lady 1/1-70 1st set is so good!!! best foxy lady solo IMO! eargasm!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to purplehazechild For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Changes from the 31/12/1969 second show contains some heavy edits. About a minute has been cut. One cut starts around 3:36 and lasts around 15 seconds. Another at around 5:00 and lasts 17 seconds. Another at 5:43 and lasts about 24 seconds.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DoctorGero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Power of Soul (Live at the Fillmore East, NY - 1/1/70 - 2nd Set) 9:10
    now listening from Spotify. complete version at last, a dream come true!
    Last edited by dancesingmitch; 11-23-19 at 08:50 AM. Reason: correction of words

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancesingmitch For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigzig71
    Well it is not truly unedited, "We got To Live Together" was 16:43 long at the show. Buddy & Jimi do a vamp & sing along that is severely edited, so don't get rid of your bootleg version of these shows.
    Thank you bigzig71, hope it's ok to quote you from elsewhere.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shnfoobar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"I think Jimi wanted to get back to the Experience"

Or was it Jeffery that wanted to get back to the Experience?

"Did Kramer see the end coming so quickly? “I wasn’t surprised that he didn’t do anything more with Buddy Miles,” Kramer admits. “The record speaks for itself – there was only one Jimi Hendrix and he felt Buddy was stealing his thunder. Which was a shame. "

Could it be that the 'he', here, who, "Felt Buddy was stealing his thunder", was Jeffery?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 374 Posts

It's also available on Google Play Music for anyone (like me) with a subscription. I listened to the first set today. Jimi was just getting warmed up. His solo during "Machine Gun" draws applause. He flubs a verse of "Burning Desire". Was that the first time it was ever played in public? Good thing he had Billy Cox to hold things down. Billy was great. Also I know there's rumors that some of the Ronnettes were singing backup behind the curtain, but I listened hard and couldn't hear anyone but Billy and Buddy singing harmonies on "Earth Blues" or other tunes. While I'm glad EH has released this, I'm mad that they made me spring for the other FIllmore East release. That's why I'm only going to listen to this on Google Play.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

Kramer is the one saying these things not Jeffery. As far as Jeffery is concerned it is well known he wanted to get the Experience back together. This interview is the first I ever heard Eddie mention anything about Buddy "stealing Jimi's thunder"

Link to the entire interview with a bit of backdrop as well is here:

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/ji...bout-legendary

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    It's also available on Google Play Music for anyone (like me) with a subscription. I listened to the first set today. Jimi was just getting warmed up. His solo during "Machine Gun" draws applause. He flubs a verse of "Burning Desire". Was that the first time it was ever played in public? Good thing he had Billy Cox to hold things down. Billy was great. Also I know there's rumors that some of the Ronnettes were singing backup behind the curtain, but I listened hard and couldn't hear anyone but Billy and Buddy singing harmonies on "Earth Blues" or other tunes. While I'm glad EH has released this, I'm mad that they made me spring for the other FIllmore East release. That's why I'm only going to listen to this on Google Play.
    That rumour was well and truly put to bed a while back!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    Kramer is the one saying these things not Jeffery. As far as Jeffery is concerned it is well known he wanted to get the Experience back together. This interview is the first I ever heard Eddie mention anything about Buddy "stealing Jimi's thunder"

Link to the entire interview with a bit of backdrop as well is here:

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/ji...bout-legendary
    Yeah, but he talks as if he is Jimi's voice from the grave or something. He is not. He is just a paid functionary for EH. He is a paid promotor ie. spokesperson for EH.

And that other comment he made about Mitch's drumming changing at this point in time. Well, perhaps Sir Eddie was very busy at the time and needs reminding that Mitch started using a bigger drum kit round about then, including double kick drums, a kit that was too big for him really, he was much better off with a smaller kit. Not his fault tho', drummers were given more focus at that time too, what with Baker and Moon, then Bonham later on etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    That rumour was well and truly put to bed a while back!
    Was it? Ronnie Spector included the credits to it in her book.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vkd108 View Post
    "I think Jimi wanted to get back to the Experience"
    Or was it Jeffery that wanted to get back to the Experience?
    Could it be that the 'he', here, who, "Felt Buddy was stealing his thunder", was Jeffery?
    The BOGs were just employees, with benefits, for the duration of the time it took to complete Jimi's 'Chalpin LP' project (Jeffery, apparently, had f' all to do with it, but was happy that JH was getting back to recording), they were 'let go' shortly after, with a week in lieu payment and a $1,000 bonus. The Madison gig was just a, later (ie 'post project'), one off charity event. Not a continuation or a reunion. Possibly Buddy needed to be reminded that the 'gig' had been over since he was 'let go', 12 days previous. Or is that Jeffery story just posthumous bullshit? Not sure when it first surfaced. There is ample testimony that JH was not happy with the LP - and Buddy.

They were not even titled BOG, they were credited as individuals, ie they never were a formal group. The BOG bit was not on the original ads for the Fillmore, just their individual names, and then, later, the ad had large, equal size, photos of JH & Buddy flanking the ad - as if co-stars! Wonder how Billy felt about that Billy left the project twice and went back home pissed at Douglas & his sidekick, Stephan Bright, (and no doubt Jimi too), eventually being persuaded to come back.
    The BOG bit only appeared in the ad immediately prior to the the 2 'gigs' (ie basically a 'live' rehearsal (1st night) and recording session (2nd night) paid for by the audience - nice one Jimi) as a name for the LP project: 'Jimi Hendrix: A Band Of Gypsys' [performed by] Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Miles, Billy Cox - ie three individuals.
    Last edited by stplsd; 11-26-19 at 08:16 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaywho View Post
    Was it? Ronnie Spector included the credits to it in her book.
    Sure, a story years later!

I really have no reason to question the claim that one or more backing singers did "perform" behind a curtain. Mic'd up? Irrelevant really as they do not appear on the recordings at any point, that can be clearly heard.

But if they were singing and actually recorded on a line then maybe Mr McDermott will enlighten us when he updates his Ultimate Hendrix book and includes details as to what else was and wasn't captured from these four performances on the soundboard recordings.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    The BOGs were just employees, with benefits, for the duration of the time it took to complete Jimi's 'Chalpin LP' project (Jeffery, apparently, had f' all to do with it, but was happy that JH was getting back to recording), they were 'let go' shortly after, with a week in lieu payment and a $1,000 bonus. The Madison gig was just a, later (ie 'post project'), one off charity event. Not a continuation or a reunion. Possibly Buddy needed to be reminded that the 'gig' had been over since he was 'let go', weeks previous Or is that Jeffery story just posthumous bullshit? Not sure when it first surfaced. There is ample testimony that JH was not happy with the LP - and Buddy.
    OK but I remain doubtful about Jimi's proposed dislike for Buddy. There are photos of them together at Monterrey 67, Buddy plays on Electric Ladyland 68, there's recordings of them together in the studio in 69 & 70, so they've got a good, thick history built up together. It couldn't have been like Buddy suddenly started chirping onstage at the Fillmore and Jimi was appalled. The guys were friends for years, they were hanging out together, jamming, laying down professionally recorded and marketed songs together, so you can't say, "Oh, Jimi was short of partners to jam with, Mitch was blah blah blah." Jimi played with Buddy because he liked him, as a friend and musician. He knew what tricks Buddy'd pull at the Fillmore. He was looking to take some of the heat off himself, so no doubt welcomed Buddy stepping forward to handle the lead vocals on a couple of tunes, and to share with him. This would've enlivened Jimi, who was progressive and looking to evolve and move forward in new directions.

Re: band name, ol' Bill Graham announces at the first show, after introducing them individually by name, that, "The Fillmore is proud to welcome back some old friends with a brand new name, the Band of Gypsys". So its not like you propose, that BoG was something bolted on later and for the shows they were just 3 individuals, no.

What I think about Billy being unstable all the way through his tenure with Jimi is that he didn't sit well with the drug taking. AFAIK late 69 onwards Jimi was using cocaine laced with heroin, which he probably picked up from Devon, I imagine. Billy it seems didn't do drugs (did he use marijuana?) and in Kathy's book and other places we can read about how Jimi was strung out in his last days in London, he didn't wanna go onstage over in Sweden and had this increasing nervous reticence and dislike which we can see in his face at IoW, etc. Even Atlanta 4th July 70 he's got the same cob on. The guy was stressed by management but the dope wasn't doing him any good either and thats probably what frightened Billy off. In Jimi's last interview with Keith Altham in Sept 70 he puts it to Jimi that Billy's left and Jimi says yeah, he's now looking for a new bass player. So that other story about Billy being spiked with acid I say was just a cover story, false news to cover for the facts and that they thought made better press than what I just offloaded here LOL. After all, its only through detective work that we can know about Jimi's real drug habits, they've never been officially publicised. Most of the fan base thinks he was high on acid at every gig, every recording opportunity and possibly every moment of the existence of JHE! That he stuck tabs of LSD in his eyes, a strip under his headband on stage and well, you know the rest! It wasn't QUITE like that though! Does that make sense?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to vkd108 For This Useful Post: