Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New track from Honolulu International Center Arena 1 August 1970 - Foxy Lady!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 347 Posts

New track from Honolulu International Center Arena 1 August 1970 - Foxy Lady!

OK - so this has been posted on Youtube awhile - and I missed it! A new track from Honolulu 1970?
    The person who posted this is "roving recorder" who uploaded the better quality longer versions of Straight Ahead and Red House (full).
    In the previous description he says he got it from a Cry of Aloha boot - but I have never seen it anywhere - but not only that - the new description has the full set list! Not sure if it is legit or not...but in this Foxy Lady is after Ezy Ryder...

Straight Ahead
    Ezy Ryder
    Foxy Lady
    The New Rising Sun (Hey Baby)
    Spanish Castle
    Red House
    Lover Man
    Freedom
    Foxey Lady
    I hear my train a comin
    Star Spangled Banner
    Purple Haze
    All Along The Watchtower
    Voodoo Child

Myself and others have tried to contact over the years but no response. Then I just happened to look - and Lo and Behold! This person must have a full copy of the tape? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWm2ycRcdck Just can't get them to share any more!
    Last edited by funkydrummer; 12-30-19 at 02:14 PM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,017 Posts

Re: New track from Honolulu International Center Arena 1 August 1970 - Foxy Lady!

The link says this is the Jim and Bill Worthley aud recording.

That recording exists as a 30min incomplete recording so I'm not sure what this actually is!

A patch job from elsewhere?
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: New track from Honolulu International Center Arena 1 August 1970 - Foxy Lady!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    The link says this is the Jim and Bill Worthley aud recording.

That recording exists as a 30min incomplete recording so I'm not sure what this actually is!

A patch job from elsewhere?
    No - I think this guy has the tape. He said he got the other tracks off Cry of Aloha boot but they were longer and better quality than the EH source (and has the "bite me EMP" voiceover) - so some shit must have went down with EH at some stage. I don't think this is a patch job - I haven't really had much of a chance to play...I freaked when I saw it...on the Red House one (the only full version available) he said he got it from a friend years ago. Maybe a copy of the full Worthley tape? I dunno. Dude will never answer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It says from the Jim and Bill tape. That Foxy NEVER appeared on this recording before makes me very suspicious.

I'm not sitting with the audio of FL to see if it comes from elsewhere but I suspect that it is a patch job.

The Bill and Jim tapes runs 30 min:
    STRAIGHT AHEAD
    EZY RIDER
    HEY BABY
    SPANISH CASTLE MAGIC
    RED HOUSE

Thanks
    Thanked 4,320 Times in 393 Posts

I'm not sitting with the audio of FL to see if it comes from elsewhere but I suspect that it is a patch job.
    I just listened to these 4 minutes and its pretty clear to me that its a version we havent heard before, with a cut in the middle. No reason to suspect its not legit.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    I just listened to these 4 minutes and its pretty clear to me that its a version we havent heard before, with a cut in the middle. No reason to suspect its not legit.
    Exactly.

Thanks

It says from the Jim and Bill tape. That Foxy NEVER appeared on this recording before makes me very suspicious.

The Bill and Jim tapes runs 30 min:
    STRAIGHT AHEAD
    EZY RIDER
    HEY BABY
    SPANISH CASTLE MAGIC
    RED HOUSE
    He says that Foxy Lady comes from Bill and Jim tape - the previous two he said came from a boot - the inconsistency of the story is what is interesting. Even if his set list (who knows?) has Foxy Lady listed twice with UK and US spelling.

Thanks

So, having not sat with the audio in question is it suggested that this is a new piece of audio?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,320 Times in 393 Posts

So, having not sat with the audio in question is it suggested that this is a new piece of audio?
    Yes. Invest the 4 minutes, have a listen, it's pretty clearly a new version.

Thanks

The "Spirit of Aloha" is just the 30 mins we already have http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=tcoa1

Wow, exciting to think the entire show might be out there, great find FD.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 441 Posts

The Jim and Bill tape is of a different audio quality too.

Thanks

Interesting!

So the notice on the link is NOT Bill and Jim!
    I'll grab a copy and take a listen over the holidays.

Just leaves the question , anyone have a direct link with the poster or whoever is behind that post?

Thanks

Here's the Foxy Lady in question if its of help, be up for a few days.

https://we.tl/t-w4bWQZSjvL

Having listened, I have heard this before so I must have it on a drive someplace!

I have the longer Red House I think from the same poster but not sure about the Straight Ahead. Anyone?

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 469 Posts

Pretty cool set list if real. I wander if one of the Foxey Ladys was meant to be Fire and is just a typo?

Thanks

Who knows? Anyway, for anyone interested...I had a shot at a cleanup...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYQL...ature=youtu.be

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If anyone missed it, here's the Red House that the same poster had up a while ago.
    https://we.tl/t-LaygEgEjjs

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The track is new to us, but this is the same source with the young people talking over it occasionally. The lineage is an upgrade because it comes from the taper's friend's copy and not the EH .WMA.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    The track is new to us, but this is the same source with the young people talking over it occasionally. The lineage is an upgrade because it comes from the taper's friend's copy and not the EH .WMA.
    Indeed...so the Worthley tape must have originally been longer...which I suspected after hearing the longer versions on YouTube...with the "bite me EMP" (Experience Music Project - which is I think is perhaps conflated with EH) on Straight Ahead...whether this guy has the rest of it, I do hope we find out. The fact that he added a track list is promising...If the first two from the "Cry of Aloha" bootleg came from an "LA Convention" it must have been very limited release...or a story...because FL wasn't even on it and this seems like the same earlier gen tape that the other two came from. Perhaps it was held back from EH cause they didn't get what they wanted for it? (hence "bite me EMP" notice). I don't know. Not saying this is the YouTube guy...he may just be the messenger.
    Anyone ever seen that boot? Outside of the listing on Bootleg Zone?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks to Fenders Fingers I made my own playlist as follows and sat down and did some critical listening.

Straight Ahead (Jim and Bill Tape source)
    Ezy Rider (Jim and Bill Tape Source)
    Foxey Lady (New youtube source)
    Hey Baby (Jim and Bill Tape Source)
    Spanish Castle Magic (Jim and Bill Tape Source)
    Red House complete (Youtube sourxe)

A few things I’ve noitced

1. Foxy and Red House are either from a completely different source than the Jim and Bill tape or significantly different in generation of tape. The ReD House and Foxy are probably from the same source.

2. The Youtube source Red House appears to have a flute player sitting in!!!!! Has anyone else noticed this? As I listedn due to the quality of the recording I waffled between a) its bleed through from the other side of the tape, ib) tsFeedback that sounds like a flute and c) it is an actual flute player jamiing with Jimi on this song.
    I beleieve it is c. There are times where it is just way too clear and in sync with the music for it not to be a real flute player

I didnt listen the incomplete Jim and Bill Red House a part of this critical listening. Also I see in the thread Straight ahead being referenced as from the same source as the “Foxy/Res House”. Where is that I must have missed it?

Lastly desptite inferiior recording qity iof both sources this appears to be a great show. I really love the energy. Great Hey Baby and Straight Ahead and the other material is pretty good too! Looks like he kept up his form from the Maui show at least on the parts of this show we have.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry lots of spelling errors and typos I posted from my phone and now I can't seem to edit the post. Hopefully the meaning gets through despite the typos.