Thread: The Future?

Thanks

The Future?

I wonder if there is a 'go forward' plan -- or could we have discussions here about such a plan?
    I don't mind if getting the tracker back isn't an option -- but can we discuss other options for keep the site alive--and sharing music actively?

I have seen two very practical alternatives at other sites: sharing torrents via magnet URLs (with no active tracker) or sharing music via cloud platforms such as mega.nz, fliefactory, etc. Royal Orleans (the Led Zeppelin site) worked successfully with magnet URLs for quite a while, though they seem to be switching to sharing via mega...

Perhaps JPIO is the alternative--or torrents sites such as DIME? Or blogs (like my own purplehippies.com, where I share Deep Purple and Black Sabbath-related music).

Honestly, while I admire JPIO -- it doesn't seem to be a place to keep music shared long term. It is more about sharing members' latest projects. I would like to see something like CTT continue, where recordings would be available longer term for members (and *new* members)...

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jamesbender For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: The Future?

I am certainly up for discussions on this. Thank you for bringing it to the fore.

1) I am assuming that money is the problem.

If that is the case, then the long term future for the site must be addressed, as in if there's not enough cash to support the tracker part of the site then is there enough cash to support the basic web hosting ?

Money is not the problem (See next post, Thank you Fenders Fingers) please Ignore point 1.

2) Let us assume that web hosting can be dealt with and that losing the tracker is inevitable/precarious for an ongoing and indeterminate length of time.

The Knowledge base, photos and chronology are what we can share through the basic site and it is comparable if not better in content with any other site.

In addition, magnet URL links, Filefactory etc are both excellent alternatives although there are drawbacks with these, for instance...
    Filefactory etc... Money, again (file hosting is arguably more expensive than keeping the tracker up and would involve all uploaders either having a paid account or access to a shared one... hmm !).

A further alternative is an extension of the Magnet URL idea and which is already in operation here.
    Torrents made with "DHT", "Local Peer discovery" and "Peer exchange" all enabled and keeping these facilities enabled in your torrent client under preferences.
    This would allow uploaders to continue using the same methods as already used. There are hundreds of torrents still active here because that is how they were made.
    The problem with trackerless torrents is that you can't tell who has downloaded so you can't send a pm asking for a reseed.
    I know that we have a reseed request forum here but it will quickly become swamped.
    The only thing we can do is go to those who have "Thanked" for the initial upload.
    Useful for us and an appreciative show to the uploader all in one go !

3) I don't know how desirable or feasible it will be to go through those torrents that are already here and are at present tracker dependent, to re-upload without a tracker. For sure, this kind of undertaking would be of epic proportions and could not be done by one person but would allow new and old members to consolidate and share what they have.
    Last edited by shnfoobar; 02-23-20 at 02:54 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shnfoobar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,016 Posts

No, money is not the issue with the tracker!

But while we do not have a tracker I don't see the point in paying for a site with torrent capacity!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,016 Posts

The future is what you make it!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post: