Thread: Peter Green RIP 1946-2020

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 600 Posts

Peter Green RIP 1946-2020

My personal favorite guitar player aside from Jimi is dead :-(
    His touch...his touch...and what a nice man.
    His friend Andrew Kastner has related a nice story about the period after Peter left Fleetwood Mac, and Peter's reaction to Jimi's death.

Fleetwood Mac played in Boston a bunch of times and every time they came, I would hang out with Peter. One time he and I went to see BB King play and he ended up sitting in. After the show we were back stage and BB turned to me and said, "no one plays me as authentically as Peter”. I never forgot that. Another time I was standing in the audience watching Fleetwood Mac and standing next to me was Carlos Santana. Carlos was a huge fan of Peters and that might have been the moment he heard Black Magic Woman for the first time. I like to think so anyway.

After Peter quit Fleetwood Mac, I called him in London and asked him if he wanted to come over for a visit and to play music with my band, The Act. We were living in a house in the middle of the woods in South Berwick Maine. I figured it was a long shot but he said sure. I couldn’t believe he said yes. A few weeks later I picked up Peter, his suitcase, his Sunburst Les Paul and his Fender six string Bass at Boston’s Logan Airport and drove him up to Maine. My memory is vague at how long he stayed with us but it might have been a month. I do remember a few days after he came that we found out that Jimi Hendrix died, so that would put him there on September 18, 1970. I remember him looking stunned and very saddened. He told me that a few days before he was in London hanging out with Jimi.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 600 Posts

Re: Peter Green RIP 1946-2020

As a bonus...yesterday I got talking to a gentleman named Kenneth in relation to Peter Green. It happens he attended the New York Pop Festival at Randall's Island and ended up on stage with Jimi:

Yes, the crowd was sitting on blankets and everyone was getting high. One of my friends was into heroin and said that he was going backstage. I tried to stop him but it was impossible so I walked with him to try to keep him out of trouble. When we got to the backstage entrance, nobody stopped us. Then he told me that he wanted to go on the stage which I thought for sure that security would not allow. But again, nobody stopped us. This was before Jimi came on. So there we were standing as close to Jim as you could stand without being in the band. We were on his right side looking out. I had always thought that Jimi used a lot of gimmicks but I was wrong. He was the real thing. I took pictures but my camera was stolen on the way home at knifepoint.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post: