Thread: West Coast Seattle Boy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 374 Posts

West Coast Seattle Boy

I was listening today to the "Little Wing" and "Are You Experienced" instrumentals from "West Coast Seattle Boy". What's the story on these tracks? They're both pretty awesome, but that "Little Wing" . . if that was the only thing Jimi had ever written and recorded he'd still have to be considered the best ever (IMHO). Was that pre or post the Axis lp? Same question for the "AYE". Pre or post the lp version?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 854 Posts

Re: West Coast Seattle Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    I was listening today to the "Little Wing" and "Are You Experienced" instrumentals from "West Coast Seattle Boy". What's the story on these tracks? They're both pretty awesome, but that "Little Wing" . . if that was the only thing Jimi had ever written and recorded he'd still have to be considered the best ever (IMHO). Was that pre or post the Axis lp? Same question for the "AYE". Pre or post the lp version?
    There is no 'Little Wing' on WCSB....there's a jam called 'Little One' but has no resemblance to 'Little Wing', perhaps you meant 'Little Wing' from the Purple Box set..
    As to AYE...according the Ultimate Hendrix(book)this was created from start to finish on April 3, 1967
    the track on WCSB is just a backing track from that day.

here's what the info from Collector's Studio 1967 has about it

pretty much echoes what is in the WCSB booklet

Last edited by J.Lucas; 5 Days Ago at 05:19 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah, my mistake I think Little Wing is the long instrumental from "Anthology" or "Purple Box" or whatever its called. Anyway it's great. What;s the story with that one?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Yeah, my mistake I think Little Wing is the long instrumental from "Anthology" or "Purple Box" or whatever its called. Anyway it's great. What;s the story with that one?

Yeah...'Purple Box'...it's actually called the 'The Jimi Hendrix Experience', but people referred to it as the 'Purple Box' just like people said 'White Album' for 'The Beatles' double LP.
    The has the original 3 solos the got reduced to 1 1/2 by the time they made the LP.
    Interestingly when Jimi started playing it live he kept the original 3 solo layout and hadn't had a proper live ending yet,
    you can hear it's evolution of the fan made 'Complete Little Wing Collection'.

here's the info. for the track from The Collectors 1967 pdf:
    NOTE: As stated in the comparison notes below DChance used the ATM series in his Collectors Set as the version on the 'Purple Box' has clipping on the high and low ends.

Here's what the 'Purple Box' has:

Last edited by J.Lucas; 5 Days Ago at 05:21 AM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I have "The Collector's 1967" somewhere. I'll have to give that a listen again!