Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1967 April Newspaper & Magazine Articles (Text Only)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,463 Times in 2,857 Posts

1967 April Newspaper & Magazine Articles (Text Only)

Saturday 1 April 1967
    UK
    DAILY MAIL (front page?) ‘Guitarist Burned’
    Guitarist Jimi Hendrix, 21, was taken to hospital with a burned hand after his instrument burst into
    flames on the first night of the Walker Brothers’ tour at Finsbury Park, London, N.

Saturday 1 April 1967
    England (Ipswich)
    EAST ANGLIAN DAILY TIMES (page?) [B&W text ad.]
    Gaumont Ipswich Tel IPS 53641

Continuing Sunday April 3
    (and showing Wednesday April 5)
    Sun. at 6.30 (Open 6.0 p.m.) Weekdays (except
    Sat.) 2.0 (Open 1.30 p.m.), 7.15 (Open 6.45 p.m.)
    Julie Andrews Christopher Plummer
    “SOUND OF MUSIC” (U) Colour
    Seats, 8/6 7/6 6/6 5/- 4/-, bookable for evening
    Performances. Reduced rates for children and O.A.P’s
    At all matinees (except Saturdays).
    ------------------------------
    STAGE ATTRACTIONS
    Tonight (Saturday) – at 6.35 and 8.45
    THE WALKER BROTHERS
    ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
    CAT STEVENS JIMI HENDRIX
    THE CALIFORNIANS
    THE QUOTATIONS NICKY JONES

Saturday 1 April 1967

UK
    FABULOUS 208 (cover) Edited by The Small Faces. King Size Colour Pin-ups of:
    Monkees, Cat Stevens, The Action,
    Jimi Hendrix, Ursula Andress
    (
    Page?) [Large colour photo of Jimi lounging in his blue velvet suit, ‘208 Jimi Hendrix]
    (Page?)
    [B&W photo at Saville, ‘Jiminy Hendrix!’]
    '
    This piece on Jimi Hendrix was Steve Marriot’s[of the ‘Small Faces’ Ed.] idea and he wrote it himself'
    This is
    Jimi Hendrix-guitarist, showman extraordinaire, surely the wildest, grooviest thing to happen
    since
    The Rolling Stones and The Who.
    When
    Jimi lays it down-it stays down. Seeing his act is an experience only to be experienced (sweet
    double hipness you lay it down we’ll pick it up). Backed by
    Noel Redding, and Johnny (Mitch)
    Mitchell
    whose athletic vibrant drumming pushes the thing along.
    Jimi
    has been quoted as saying that their recording of Hey Joe isn’t them or what they want to do.
    All I can say to this is that this record is tremendous.
    Jimi Hendrix followers should also cop an earful of the flip side Stone Free. Flip sides usually depict
    what the artist really wants to do, but the thing with this particular record is…. That both sides are a
    groove.

I WOULD like to say a few words on
    Mitch and Noel. I know both of them very well, Mitch worked hard
    for at least three years and is at last getting the attention he so rightly deserves. I wonder if any of you
    remember him with the original
    Riot Squad or, more recently, Georgie Fame ? He has been limited in
    the past to playing as a band drummer. But now he has been given the free hand he should have had a
    long while ago and this seems to me to bring out the best in him. Keep it up,
    Mitch!
    I met
    Noel in Cornwall (where ?) Cornwall (what ?). Anyway I had had my guitar stolen and Noel very
    kindly offered me the use of his beloved guitar. I have never forgotten this and it is so good to see such a
    nice person enjoying success.

The focal point of the group is obviously
    Jimi who growls, snarls, bites and stamps on his guitar,
    delivering as much sex as early
    Mick Jagger and I sincerely hope that he will gain in popularity and that
    1967 will be the year of
    Jimi (sock it to 'em) Hendrix.
    [signed]:
    Amen! SM Steve Marriot
    (Page?)
    [title?] [B&W photo, ‘Jimi Hendrix] MENTION the word “doubles" toJimi Hendrix and it's an
    even chance he'll tell you about the time he was mistaken for
    Little Richard!
    At a quick glance, they could be taken for doubles. "Conservative hairstyle" is the last thing you could say
    about
    Jimi, and Richard is hardly a Yul Brynner !
    Two years ago, when he was still in America,
    Jimi played guitar backing Little Richard.
    One night
    Jimi left the theatre as usual— and was mobbed by fans thinking he was Little Richard! And
    when the real star came out later, nobody would believe who he was.

I bet a lot of
    Little Richard fans had a shock later when they looked at their autograph books!
    (Page?)
    Where They’re At Mar. 28—Apr. 3
    The Walkers are on the move again this week, folks, kicking off at London’s Finsbury Park Astoria. And
    they’ve got a terrific bill with them, including Cat Stevens, Engelbert Humperdinck and
    The Jimi Hendrix
    Experience
    ‘MIDLANDS’

Walker Brothers, Cat Stevens, Engelbert Humperdinck,
    Jimi Hendrix Experience: Gaumont, Worcester (2)
    ‘LONDON’

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Astoria, Finsbury Park (31)
    ‘SOUTH, SOUTH EAST, EAST’

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Gaumont, Ipswich (1)
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    : Market Hall, Aylesbury (28)
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Re: 1967 April Newspaper & Magazine Articles (Text Only)

Saturday 1 April 1967
    Scotland
    GLASGOW HERALD (page 5) Saturday Extra (mainly for our readers under 18)
    ‘Stage Brothers and a Beatle Beater’
    [puff about Walkers & Englebert] . . . comes to Glasgow on Thursday . . . tour with the stars of
    Thursday’s show (The Walker Brothers, Cat Stevens, and
    Jimi Hendrix) . . .

Saturday 1 April 1967
    UK

MIRABELLE [girl’s mag] (pages 18 & 19) [B&W photo, ‘Left to right Mitch Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix,
    Noel Redding’]Hey Jimi!’ Mandy Matthews Meets the guy who plays the guitar with his teeth!
    REALLY the first thing you notice about
    Jimi, surprisingly enough is his teeth! Really sparkling white
    and evenly set — and he flashes them quite a lot when he grins. He's quite an unusual guy with his
    thin moustache just over his top lip and his mass of bushy hair. But though he looks wild — believe
    me, he's not!

How did he first start out as a singer?

"Well, I used to play in The Village — you know Greenwich Village in The States and one
    day when I was playing.
    Chas— that’s Chas Chandler, the ex-Animal asked me if l'd like to
    go and play in England."
    It all sounds too good to be true, but that's just what happened! And with
    Chas
    as one of his co-managers, Jimi has been doing very well. "Hey Joe" was his first record
    released over here and that got right into the top ten within a few weeks of release.

What does
    Jimi feel about his success?
    "l'm kinda pleased that the people over here dig our music. It’s great doing what you iike
    and having people appreciate you too."

Why, oh why, do you play the guitar with your teeth?

"If I want to accentuate a note in a special way then I play the guitar with my teeth. If I
    want to accentuate it another way then I play the guitar on my back."

In the few months
    Jimi has been resident in Britain, he has broken box office records up and down
    country with his fabulous group
    The Experience.
    What does
    Chas his co-manager think of his success?
    "Everything has happened as I hoped and believed it would. It's certainly a nice feeling,"
    he says.

Does
    Jimi want to live permanently In Britain?
    "l don't think so, now don't get me wrong, I love England and everyone over here has
    been real good to me, but I don't like to stay in one place for very long. When I was over in
    the States I was always moving around."

There seems to be a remarkable similarity in looks between
    Jimi and Little Richard although they
    have completely different personalities and play completely different kinds of music. But at one time

Jimi
    used to play with Little Richard. In fact he's played with quite a few people — one of whom is
    Joey Dee who was popular at the time when the twist was just coming in.
    Jimi
    is no stranger to the world of music although he's new to our shores. But I for one hope he stays
    here for a long while yet. Let's face it, with his musical talent — we need him!

Sunday 2 April 1967
    U
    SA (Los Angeles, CA)
    OTHER SCENES (page 4) international
    DEREK TAYLOR

So with the whole world gone pop, it seemed only sensible to explode into an international festival of
    pop. Which is what will happen. In
    Monterey, where the Pacific is very blue under a sun of
    guaranteed California gold, the Festival will be held this June upcoming on the 16th, 17th and 18th
    when school is out and the young are full of promise. The title:
    MONTEREY INTERNATIONAL
    FESTIVAL OF POP - '67
    . The aim: to bring the best elements of pop people together for interaction
    in the open air. The Festival plans to attract tens of thousands of pop followers — the yo
    ung and those
    who remember, the free and those who would like to be, to watch and hear and absorb and enjoy
    some of the world’s best young entertainers in the happiest surroundings, piling music upon music,
    hour upon hour into the sapphire evening. California wa
    s chosen as home for the Festival because it is
    within the twin melting-pots of San Francisco and Los Angeles that the fun and funky, the freaky the
    fol
    k and the rock were so mingled that music mixed in California spoke out to the world with poetry
    and pageantry and in such a profusion of light and color that there was no one who did not hear and
    see that something fine was happening. Those in America to whom the Beatles had so beautifully
    reached out, were now able to reply in terms simple or psychedelic. And the Beatles heard and were
    glad that an axis had been formed. Beatle spoke to Byrd and Stone to Sopwith Camel, the Mama and
    Papas gained a whole world of sons and
    daughters and the Beach Boys were born anew. So in
    California the great and the near great and those who are only good will meet in Monterey in June and
    you will be hearing more and more and more from me as the acts are booked and the flags raised and
    the incense burned. In the meantime, some names: Festival director Ben Shapiro, father of three,
    soldier of fortune, impresario, freedom fighter for Israel, moustached man of color, charm, cheek and
    vision. . Festival producer, Alan Pariser, bachelor, once bearded, now straight, adman, movieman
    blessed with impulsive energy and complusive charm... and for publicity, me, Derek Taylor, rock’n’ roll
    hack of exceptional honesty. Plus a cast of thousands.

Also 7-5-67
    INTERNATIONAL TIMES, UK, p. 5
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Monday 3 April 1967
    USA (Los Angeles, CA)
    OTHER SCENES (page 12) The New London? by David Widgery
    . . .

New rave British chart success is by Jimi Hendrix and the Experience. H. is from Seattle and was
    the usual penniless rock band in Village but now with British band. Plays the Saville Theatre with the
    Who, the autodestructive group who intend to bum the Theatre down in their new act. Townshend,
    the lead guitar, is for real that is a fairly staged psychopath who breaks, that is, smashes to bits on
    the drums and audience, 5 guitars in one set and will end in clouds of smoke destroying his half-
    blown amplifiers. Singer uses the mike hard against drums. Who leave for US on April 16th. Move set
    light to a ’59 auto and smashed two TV faces of Hitler incidentally(?) ruining their new audio strobe at
    Leicester. The group were only 18 months
    ago an ordinary boring Brum village hall group called Carl
    Wayne and the Vikings, now top freakers...

[Day?]
    March 1967
    UK
    BEAT INSTRUMENTAL(page 8) “ONE NIGHTER - REPORT BY NOEL REDDING...
    BASS MAN WITH THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE
    FRANTIC scenes surround the Hendrix Experience every time they play and these three lively
    musicians too often find themselves in wild situations. When they played York University the reception
    was the same as usual but the problems, which attended their trip, provided a rather strange contrast
    to their "all go" stage life.
    Noel Redding, bass man with the Experience reports:
    LATE

We had a photo session in London in the afternoon and we were late leaving. Jerry, our road manager,
    had already left with the gear and we were to follow in
    Mitch's car. We set off at 5 p.m. and belted off
    towards Nottingham but, after only a few miles, the generator went. We just about made it into
    Nottingham, left the car at a garage and started to look round for something to get us to York, which
    was still a good 100 miles away. First we tried to ring the University to tell them that we might be late
    arriving but we just couldn't get through. Eventually we hired a car and about 9.45 p.m. we were on
    our way again. We turned up at midnight. Fortunately we weren't due on until 1 a.m.

The gear was all set up. We were cheesed off and tired, but the booking was O.K. In fact it was very,
    very good indeed.

People ask me if
    Jimi is hard to follow. I don't find him hard to keep up with at all. We have about the
    first two numbers arranged and after that it's just up to him and we follow. I used to play guitar myself
    and I watch him closely. On this particular night I was watching him so closely that I nearly had a bit of
    an accident. I just happened to look round and I saw that the top cabinet in my Marshall set-up had
    moved with the vibrations and was just about tottering on the edge of the other one. It would have
    fallen on my head if I hadn't turned round. Luckily there were no other hang-ups on this occasion.

Jimi
    's always well prepared anyway. He always has two guitars plugged in, one he uses and the other
    he leaves at the side of the amp; he uses a fuzz box and has both guitars plugged into their own units.

After the gig, which finished around 2 a.m. we set off back to Nottingham but when we arrived it
    was 6 a.m. and the garage didn't open until 9. There was nothing for it but to sit in the van. We were
    cold. miserable and tired. Eventually the guy came to open the garage, we got the car out and
    Jerry
    who is a genius of a mechanic fixed it all up.
    "BLOW-OUT"

We left Nottingham around 10 a.m. We were making good time on the motorway when "bang", we had
    a blowout, at 70 m.p.h.! We pulled over and as we didn't have a wheel brace we just sat there.
    Eventually an AA man came along and helped us out and at 2 p.m. we were on our way again. The thing
    was that we had a gig that night at 6 o'clock. I needn't tell you how tired we were. But at least it had
    been a good gig. They were flashing these colour slides on the walls as we played and the whole thing
    was great. About the only bad gig we've had so far was at South Shields. We arrived a little late and we
    were in a bit of a rush. We were on the back of a revolving stage just getting tuned, ready to be swung
    round any minute. We had got these new 200 watt units and just as we were tuning
    Jimi's amp blew up.
    He quickly plugged into mine and I looked round for something to borrow. In the end I had to make do
    with a tiny amp which the other group had been using, it must have been all of 5 watts. As we swung
    round we opened up and the sound was terrible. My bass was just buzzing like mad.
    Jerry came up, gave
    me the P.A. amp and put the vocals through this tiny thing. Of course from then on we couldn't hear a
    word except in the breaks where we were singing and not playing, even then we just heard a tiny whisper.
    As if that wasn't enough at the end of the spot we were taken back round on the revolving stage and as
    we went the audience grabbed us. I was hanging on to
    Jimi and he was hanging on to Mitch and we very
    nearly got crushed against the wall as we went round. It's quite a life working with
    Jimibut I enjoy it.
    (Page?) [Ad. B&W photos of artists & studio feat. 2 of Jimi (1 eating guitar) & 2 of Herman]:
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Hey Joe” and “Purple Haze
    Herman’s Hermits
    “There’s A Kind Of Hush”
    Donovan
    “Epistle To Dippy”
    The Yardbirds Jeff Beck
    The Alan Price Set
    The Zombies & Rosemary Squires
    De Lane Lea Music Ltd. 9 Kingsway W.C.2
    Telephone CHAncery 2743

Thanks

[Day?] April (May) 1967
    USA
    CRAWDADDY (page?) What Goes On [B&W Track records publicity photo of Jimi]
    Warner Brothers has signed JIMI HENDRIX and his Experience, paying Jimi [ie his managent
    - ie ‘Yameta’]
    more than $50,000 for his signature, the highest fee the company has ever paid for
    a new artist. American
    Jimi just had a large hit “Hey Joe”; his new single, “Purple Haze” is now on
    Reprise here
    [did not sell well. Ed.]. Jimi(see photo on facing page) is 19, and a fantastic singer and
    guitarist; with his sidemen (drummer
    Mitch Mitchell, and bass player Noel Redding) he is supposed
    to be one of the most powerful performers in Britain.

[Day?]
    April (May)1967
    USA (Los Angeles, CA)

(ROYAL’S) WORLD COUNTDOWN (Vol.2, No. 7 Hollywood) (cover) has photo of Jerry Garcia
    surrounded by psyche text: ‘Grateful Dead’ and, in huge, ‘Music Newspaper’

(
    Page?) [title?] [another early press release from Derek Taylor on the planned “Monterey
    International Festival of Pop - '67
    ", with provisional list of performers]

Sunday 2 April 1967

Afghanistan
    KABUL TIMES (page 3) [news shorts] ‘On Toscanini, Opera Contests, Guitar Fire And Strip Tease’
    . . . .
    LONDON, April 2, (AP).—American pop star, Jimi Hendrix, was slightly injured when his electric guitar
    caught fire during stage act at a park in London, Friday night.

Hendrix
    , suffered shock and slight burns. He left the stage with Nick Jones, who was burned on the
    right hand.

Police cleared backstage corridors until the fire was extinguished and then allowed the show to continue.

Sunday 2 April 1967

West Germany [BRD] (Darmstadt, Hesse)

STARS & STRIPES [Euro edit.] (page 3) ‘Watt?’
    London, April 1 (AP) – American pop star Jimi Hendrix, 21, was slightly injured when his electric guitar
    caught fire during his stage act at the Finsbury Park Astoria Friday night.

Sunday 2 April 1967

Singapore

STRAITS TIMES (page?) ‘Shocking, this hot music’
    LONDON, Sat. AP—American pop star, Jimi Hendrix, was slightly injured when his electric guitar caught fire
    during his stage act at the Finsbury Park Astoria, London, last night.

Hendrix
    , suffered shock and slight burns. He left the stage with compère Nick Jones, who was burned on
    the right hand.

Police cleared backstage corridors until the fire was extinguished, and then allowed the show to continue.

Sunday 2 April 1967

Australia (Sydney, NSW)

SUN-HERALD (page 40) ‘PLAYS IT HOT’
    LONDON, Sat., (AAP-Reuter).—American pop singer, Jimi Hendrix, was slightly injured tonight when his
    electric guitar caught fire near the end of his act at Finsbury Park Astoria.

Hendrix
    , suffering shock and slight burns, left the stage with compère Nick Jones who was burnt on the
    right hand.

Police cleared corridors back-stage until the blaze was extinguished, then the show was allowed to continue.

Monday 3 April 1967

West Germany (BRD)

BRAVO(page 14) [very large B&W photo & 3 small underneath, On stage, Jimi Hendrix immediately
    loses his shyness. One outbreak follows the other
    .’]
    Jimi Hendrix: obsessed with music’
    [interview at ‘Antenna’ publishing house, March]
    He is called the black Bob Dylan. Jimi Hendrix thinks that is heavily exaggerated. He wants no comparing
    to his idol. In fact, the similarities are more or less restricted to the hairstyle. In musical terms, the two
    frizzy heads are very different.
    Dylan looks like still water next to Hendrix, as it were, he is always at gale-
    force 12. A much better fit for him is the name of his support group, "
    The Experience". That's it. Anyone
    who has seen him and heard him, is richer for
    the experience!
    [Below are three small, in concert shots
    ,On the stage Jimi immediately loses his former shyness. One
    eruption follows another’]

(Page 15)
    Jimi is an experience that you will not forget very quickly. What he has to offer is a spectacle.
    It is real, honorable ecstasy. He seems like an obsessed man. He rolls his eyes wildly, cannot stand still for a
    moment.
    "That's because we're improvising,”
    he explains.
    "Every performance is something like a rhythm and blues jam session!"He has not
    quite understood that he is suddenly a pop star. That was hardly expected.
    "I've been a nobody for a long
    time. I have not been given anything, and therefore I now appreciate my happiness."

Jimi Hendrix
    is from Seattle in Washington State. He has known poverty, hunger and racial hatred since his
    earliest youth. He was still a child when he left the dreary environment of the slums. He hitched through the
    southern states with his guitar. Then he was taken for the military. That was 1961, and he became a
    paratrooper.

After a serious injury, he was released prematurely. He promptly returned to the old trot:
    "I had suffered so
    many disappointments that I simply did not care. I thought I'd never make it anyway! "

His chance came when he finally landed in New York. In Greenwich Village he made the acquaintance of
    Chas
    Chandler
    , who was still the bass player of the "Animals". He thought Jimiwas fantastic. He said Hendrix
    must be a hit in London. And he had not deceived himself Already the dark-skinned visitor from over there
    was a sensation in the "Scotch of St James" club. On that memorable evening celebrities such as Dave Dee,
    Spencer Davis and Manfred Mann were gathered. Before
    Jimi dared to take the podium, the general attention
    was focused on the recently popular group "
    The Cream". After that no one cared about them. You just
    wanted to hear
    Hendrix!
    This was repeated a few days later in the completely sold-out Saville Theatre. Brian Epstein ensured that his
    new protege with bassist
    Noel Redding and drummer Mitch Mitchell could make "TheExperience". "Hey
    Joe
    " became one of the first bestsellers from 1967. Jimi Hendrix still cannot believe it: "After the long,
    bad times - is it not just a coincidence?"

----------------------------------------------
    The Hit from
    Jimi Hendrix
    Hey Joe

Stone Free
    Polydor 59 061

Thanks

Monday 3 April 1967West Germany (BRD)
    OK (pages 38-39) [full page B&W photo Jimi reading Penguin sci-fi paperback. 6 small photos onstage,
    He hates singing ’; ‘He deals with guitars like a wild orangutan with a new toy’; ‘For him, guitars are
    lovers’; ‘He needs them to live’
    .]
    A Wild King Of London
    Beatles, Who and Stones are done! A “savage” forced them into the rows of listeners and taught the
    big
    rockers the horror.
    The “Wild one” is 21, hides his origins, is called Jimi Hendrix and has been keeping the guys of the
    London beat scene in suspense for two months. A legendary reputation preceded him!

He can play the guitar masterfully with his tongue. He performs better in guitar playing backwards than
    any other guitarist. And if he really keeps the guitar normal, he is the greatest.
    Jimi Hendrix is a
    "knock-out".

Chas Chandler, a former Animal, saw him in New York. As an experienced rocker, Chas has a nose for
    musical sensations. At his own expense, he brought the half-breed (
    Jimi's ancestors are Negroes [Yes]
    and Indians [Not! With out a doubt 'white'. Ed.]) to London. In his apartment
    , 34 Montague Square,
    London W.1. Both put together a sensational hit: "
    Hey Joe".
    On January 28, 1966, no club, however busy, knew the name Jimi Hendrix. On February 4th Jimi with
    his "
    Hey Joe" hit the Stones in the hit parade with their "Let’s Spend the Night Together". He had
    lapped
    them in just under two weeks.
    London's rockers only spoke of one thing: Jimi Hendrix. Sold-out concerts in Brian Epstein’s “Saville”
    Theater had closed columns of
    rockhigh society as visitors. The Beatles, the Stones,the Who
    marveled
    together with the fans about this "w
    eird and wonderful animal". With only two men accompanying him
    (a bass player and a drummer, he changes both from time to time), he conjured up music on the stage
    that is beyond pop music and is not yet jazz.

I come from the blues,” he says, “but I can't name what I play, I play differently every night.
    I never play a piece like the day before. I'm crazy.
    Ok people took a week to get an interview
    date from him.
    Jimi is currently more in demand than the kings of the rock business. We met Jimi in
    Chas Chandler
    's apartment. Here he lives in spartan simplicity. What does he have to say?
    "I am amazed at the English pop situation. It is somehow dead. There are no new suggestions
    f
    rom the big ones (for me only the Beatles and the Stones are big). Groups like the Troggs or
    Dave Dee have hits, but
    don't inspire respect.The Who, they are good, but not more. Sure,
    there are some good, solid artists
    , Tom Jones, Dusty Springfield, also Spencer Davis, but they
    don't push forward.

About China the guy says: "When China has taken the whole world, people will understand why
    America is so hard in Vietnam.
    " About racial problems: "I hate America." The black Jimi has black
    humor: "
    Love is what rats feel for their babies. ”
    Jimi Hendrix hates everything organized. He hates the scheduled show on stage ("I'm not doing a
    show, I'm just Jimi Hendrix
    "). He hates singing ("I'm only great as a guitarist"), he hates big
    words, fine clothes, good girls
    . He hates a lot and doesn't reveal what he loves. His next single is
    done: "
    Purple Haze." His first LP also: "Are You Experienced." Germany saw him in "Beat Club".
    What will happen to
    Jimi Hendrix? We don't know - and neither does he!

Monday 3 April 1967
    England (Worcestershire)
    WORCESTER EVENING NEWS (page?) ‘Frenzied Fans At Pop Show’
    [2 April, Worcester, Gaumont Cinema]
    WAS IT really worth it? Was the most expensive pop show ever to come to Worcester really worth
    the money? The answer must be an emphatic “Yes."

It was perhaps a foregone conclusion, as all of the tickets for the second performance of the Walker
    Brothers-Englebert Humperdinck-Cat Stevens-
    Jimi Hendrix show were sold well in advance, and there
    were only a few spare seats in the first performance.

Never before has Worcester’s Gaumont cinema had a more costly show, most of the tickets costing 15s.
    with the cheapest being 8s. 6d. The nearest in cost was back in 1963 when Shirley Bassey came but then
    the seats, although going up to 15s., went down to 7s. 6d

Topping the bill, America's Walker Brothers gave as good a performance as the conditions allowed. When
    there are nearly 1,600 people yelling their heads off, sheer volume of sound is the thing that counts, and
    intricate recording balance goes out of the window.

WHITE SLACKS
    While Gary pounded the drums, supported by a second drummer from The Quotations backing group, John
    in a blue velvet three-quarter-length coat and white slacks, and Scott with black jacket and matching slacks,
    held the centre stage.

They opened with a rocking "Land of 1,000 Dances" and then switched immediately into "Hold On, I'm
    Coming." After this they quietened things down with "What Now My Love," before giving Gary a solo vocal
    on "Turn On Your Love Light."

Next into one of their biggest hits, "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" before a hectic version of Robert
    Parker's "Barefootin’.”

Closing the first half, Englebert Humperdinck proved that he can really move when he wants to. Anyone who
    dismissed him as a popsy on hearing "Release Me" should have caught his thrashing version of "In The
    Midnight Hour" last night.

Just before The Walker Brothers in the second half came Cat Stevens looking like a hip undertaker with dark
    grey three-quarter length coat, light grey trousers and frilly white shirt.

He opened with "Matthew and Son" before doing his first single "I Love My Dog." Then he took an acoustic
    guitar for "If I Were A Carpenter."

Most people had not really come to see Jimi Hendrix, but he left the audience breathless with the sheer
    force and volume that his three man group pounded out.

BANDAGED
    His left hand heavily bandaged from a burn he received doing his act on Friday, he opened with his hit "Hey
    Joe
    " and then went into the similar "Purple Haze."
    A lengthy version of - "Like A Rolling Stone" followed before his act ended with The Troggs "WildThing."
    Jimi
    battered his guitar against its amplifier, and the drums fell down, to close an act which is better suited to
    the clubs than the barrenness of a package show.

The Californians looking like four fugitives from Fort Lauderdale in their tee shirts and slacks opened with The
    Beach Boys "Fun, Fun, Fun" and was followed by "You're So Good To Me," before beating their way through
    "Iko Iko," to close with "Walk Like A Man" which turned, into "Good Vibrations" halfway through.

Because their work permit expires shortly, this is The Walker Brothers' last tour of Britain for some time.
    Nevertheless, the Gaumont theatre manager, Mr. Arthur Davids was handed a petition, bearing over 600
    names, last night to give to The Walkers pleading them to stay in this country and not to go back to
    America'.
    Last edited by stplsd; 08-05-20 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks

Tuesday 4 April 1967
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    EVENING CITIZEN (page 9) [B&W text ad]
    CINEMAS
    ‘BEAT SHOW’
    Walker Brothers Show
    A few seats available—Row P
    Second performance
    Telephone: GIF 0159
    (FOR CHARITY)

Wednesday 5 April 1967
    England (Leeds)
    YORKSHIRE POST (page?) [B&W text ad]
    ODEON, LEEDS. Tel 30031 No Film show Today.
    TONIGHT—ON STAGE— 6.0 and 8.30:
    THE WALKER BROTHERS,
    ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK
    [Note: only two acts mentioned.Ed.]
    Good seats 12/6, 10/6, 8/6, 6/6
    Thursday to Saturday—Open 12.50.
    "FOLLOW ME, BOYS" (U). Technicolor
    At 2.5, 5.15, 8.20.

Wednesday 5 April 1967
    England
    BRISTOL EVENING POST (page?) [B&W text ad]
    TUESDAY, APRIL 25, at 6.30 and 8.45
    THE WALKER BROTHERS
    CAT STEVENSJIMI HENDRIX
    ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK
    15/- 12/6 10/6 8/6 6/-

Wednesday 5 April 1967
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    EVENING TIMES (page 7) [B&W text ad]
    ODEON, On The Stage
    Renfield Street. Phone: DOU 3861
    6.40 Tomorrow 6th April 9.0
    Capable Management Ltd presents
    THE WALKER BROTHERS
    Cat Stevens And Jimi Hendrix
    ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
    Prices 15/-, 12/6, 10/6
    (No 15/-seats for Second House)
    Advance Booking Office Open
    Theatre 10.30 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Wednesday 5 (6) April 1967
    USA (NYC, NY)
    VILLAGE VOICE (page?)pop eye by Goldstein
    . . . Townshend's blitzkrieg has proven a lucrative distraction from his real skills as a writer and
    musician. It wasn't long after they discovered the power of rock 'n' wreck that
    the Who became
    fixtures in the Mod firmament. In their wake, a baker's dozen has arisen; groups with names like
    the Pink Floyd,
    the Cream (a Brian Epstein production), and the Move. I have no evidence of
    destructive tendencies in the first two groups but
    the Move shatters refrigerators and television
    sets onstage.
    Keith Moon calls that bogus pillage. He has no comment on the rumor that
    the next
    English super group will set fire to itself while squatting over a blowtorch, but
    he admits
    smashing instruments has its personal hazards. There have been lacerations, bruises,
    blood, and minor gore. During one especially exuberant performance
    Peter Townshend left such
    a wound with his guitar that his head required three stitches.

Thursday 6 (8) April 1967
    UK
    DISC & MUSIC ECHO (cover) HUMP SCORES ON TOUR WITH THE WALKER BROTHERS, CAT
    STEVENS and
    JIMI HENDRIX SEE PAGES 8 AND 9.
    (Page 2) SCENE
    . . . Jimi Hendrix's and Who's record company Track moving to new offices above cinema in Old
    Compton Street, Soho.

Rolls 33, one of ten groups from Italy visiting London, caused a sensation at London's Tiles Club.
    Mia Farrow seen with Laurence Harvey at London's Speakeasy Club.
    Idea for Cat Stevens' highly original stage act came from show producer/tour manager, Fred Perry,
    who used free time off the Hollies/Paul Jones package to work it all out with Cat in seven hours.

Gary Leeds' latest hobby— "bouncing" Jimi Hendrix guitarist, Noel Redding [ie re-enacting the
    ‘human yo-yo’ scene from the Beatles’ film ‘Help!’. See Noel & Mitch doing same on 11-10-67 Paris
    street market & demolition site films. Ed.]

The usually jovial Chas Chandler not smiling so much after seeing Jimi Hendrix's first-night
    reception.

(Page 3)Disc and Music Echo Top 30
    wk
    02-NE-15. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix, Track
    (Page 4) Stars In The News-1
    Countdown
    ‘thursday’
    Walker Brothers, Engelbert Humperdinck, Cat Stevens, Jimi Hendrix - Odeon, Glasgow.
    ‘friday’
    Walker Brothers tour - ABC Carlisle.
    ‘saturday’
    Walker Brothers tour - ABC Chesterfield.
    ‘tuesday’
    Walker Brothers tour - Granada, Bedford.
    ‘wednesday’
    Walker Brothers tour - Gaumont, Southampton.
    (Page 5)Stars In The News-2
    ‘MANFRED, FAME, LULU ON ‘POPS’’
    MANFRED MANN, Georgie Fame, Lulu and the Truth all appear “live” on tonight’s (Thursday) “Top
    Of The Pops.’’

Other stars featured: Four Tops, Dave Dee and Co., Jimi Hendrix Experience, Engelbert
    Humperdinck, and a special film of the Monkees.

(Page 6)Stars In The News-3
    ‘Cat songs for Wayne’
    Cat Stevens, currently touring with the Walker Brothers, Engelbert and Jimi Hendrix, wrote a song
    for. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ‘And Hendrix runs into tour trouble’: A ROW blew up this week over Jimi Hendrix’s act on the Walker
    Brothers tour.

Maurice King, tour promoter, told DISC that Rank theatres had complained to him about Jimi and if he
    did not clean up his act he would be banned from their theatres on the tour. King said that he had
    spoken to
    Hendrixand he had agreed to change his act.
    Hendrix's manager, Chas Chandler, denies that Jimi had agreed to change the act. He said they had
    received a complaint from the Rank circuit, but couldn't understand it.

Maurice King, he claimed, had not been directly in touch with either himself or Jimi about the matter.
    Chandler said that if it was pointed out what was considered "offensive" about Hendrix's act they
    would consider making changes.

Jimi told DISC: "I am bemused by the whole thing. All I want to do is sing and play guitar.”
    A French TV unit was at Ipswich Odeon theatre on Saturday filming Jimi's act for a new 90-minute pop
    programme
    [Bouton Rouge, 2 songs only. Ed.].
    Jimi stars at London's Saville Theatre on the same bill as America's Garnett Mimms on Sunday, May 7.
    (Pages 8-9) 'ON TOUR'
    The big WALKERS-HUMP-CAT-
    JIMI package kicked off its 25-day nation wide trek at the weekend.
    And DISC’s Mike Ledgerwood and ‘Girl of the Year’ Jayne Harries were in at the start. Here’s their on-
    the-spot account of this exciting all-star show.

‘SCOTT: surgeon with the magic touch’ says Jayne Harries Disc Girl Of The Year
    I WAS probably more nervous than the Walker Brothers for the opening night of their tour at London's
    Finsbury Park Astoria last Friday.

Only 24 hours beforehand I had dined in the West End with John Maus (another highlight of my Girl of
    the Year award), and he had said how worried they all were that the fans would have forgotten them
    after the six months’ break.

They certainly need not have worried. The reaction was fantastic. Right from the opening strains of
    "Land of 1,000 Dances”, the boys had it made for them.

MASTER
    Entering from each side—Scott in black with a white surgeon-like smock; John in white Levis and shirt
    and royal blue frock coat— they brought all the old magic flooding back.

The swaying, even skinnier Scott, master of movement. Giant John, twisting and turning, fingers all the
    time beckoning. And Gary, goodness, what has happened to his hair? Sitting behind his drums, a regular
    Little Boy Blue, he looked like
    Uriah Heep [how prophetic! Great band name choice! Ed.] with it all
    standing on end,
    Jimi Hendrix style.
    They did "Hold On I'm Coming" in fine style, then into "What Now My Love, coloured lights flashing
    incessantly, giving an excellent effect.

They just had to do "Sun." It's my favourite. And "I Need You," with Scott sending the girls mad by almost
    sobbing out the words.

It was left to John to knock off the next number, pleading "Let Me 'Hear You Say Yes" till everyone went
    berserk and Scott jumped back into the spotlight like a puppet on a string to join him on "Living Above
    Your Head."

It's definitely the best tour I've seen. Of the rest of the all-star bill, Cat Stevens impressed me most. He's
    so talented.

His act was immensely proficient and packed with polish. It's hard to believe he is still a relative newcomer.
    His Tremeloes hit "Here Comes My Baby" was done from a stool in a very relaxed, easy style and with
    clever lighting effects.

But that "I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun” was best. It must be a No. 1 and I liked the stetson and gunbelt
    gimmick.

GORGEOUS
    Engelbert Humperdinck surprised me by holding his own very nicely. After kicking off with "Ain't That
    Good News," a bit Tom Jonesy with the finger-snapping and hip-swaying, he delivered a gorgeous
    “Yours until Tomorrow," "Midnight Hour" and an extremely sensitive "Summertime." He really does
    have a most beautiful voice and such wonderful control.

I felt sorry for poor Jimi Hendrix, but I was quite impressed, considering he didn't seem to fit in with
    the rest of the bill
    [ie not ‘poor’ he wasn’t just another ‘vocalist’ who just rehashed old favourites with
    a hired band, like the rest of the ‘bunch’, he was an original, he wrote his own uniquely revolutionary,
    yet successful, songs, but more than that he (and Chas) had formed his own group of musicians to
    create a uniquely revolutionary musical accompaniment, or visa-versa
    . Ed.].
    I like "Hey Joe" and it's quite something the way he attacks that guitar. But did he really have to
    "cremate" it at the end? That burning bit was a bit naughty, I thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ‘Backstage’ [1 April Ipswich, Gaumont]:
    •STONES thrown by fans smashed the Walkers' dressing-room windows at Worcester.
    •Scott mistookJimi Hendrix guitarist, Noel Redding, for Gary Leeds at Worcester Gaumont.
    •On way to Worcester Scott stopped at the famous Hell Fire Club at High Wycombe.
    •John Maus: "Sometimes I think how I could have stayed at home and been a cool guy
    teaching history with no worries!"
    •Disc's Girl of the Year Jayne Harries, recognised by a fan when she dined with John Maus,
    asked to pass on a letter to . . . Scott!
    •Suffering from burned hands trying to extinguish Jimi Hendrix' blazing guitar — Walkers'
    publicist, Brian Somerville, and tour compere, Nicky Jones.
    •Cat Stevens quick to kill romance rumour linking him with Lulu after they had been seen
    together at London’s Bag O’Nails club.
    • At the Gaumont, Ipswich, on Saturday Gary Leeds (The Walker Brothers drummer) and Jimi
    Hendrix formed a mini play reading group by reciting American comic strips together.”
    •On Saturday Gary Leeds and Jimi Hendrix formed a mini-play reading group by reciting
    American comic strips together.
    •Cat Stevens' Western stage clothes self-designed.
    •Engelbert Humperdinck, on a cigar kick like Tom Jones, always carries a tin around with him
    •John Maus suffering from stomach trouble after Chinese meal on opening night
    •Scott in Sinatra-type hat, still enveloped in his cloak of silence
    (Page 9) [B&W photo of Jimmy in his orange [red?] velvet suit combing the back of Mitch’s hair, ‘Jimmy
    Hendrix
    lends a helping hand in the dressing-room to a member of his group. Jimmy had quite a
    “happening” with his guitar’.
    Small B&W head shot same jacket as above]
    What The Stars Say
    JIMI
    FOR Jimi Hendrix this tour is a new experience and he was not at all brought down by his rather mild
    first-night reception.

"This is almost like a rest for me after the hectic life of constant club work," he announced.
    Jimi was neither scared nor depressed, and believes audiences would have been more
    enthusiastic towards his act if he had released the exciting album he and the group are just
    completing.

Added Jimi; "I really hate to lose out. You can't blame me for being selfish by trying to get our
    songs across to the public as quick as possible."

He still insists on keeping his own compositions in favour of his better-known things like "Wild
    Thing
    " and Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone."
    "Although I wasn't scared starting my first big tour, we did wonder how they would accept us.
    There being so many different acts and us probably the most extreme of all."
    he said.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dates—
    April
    6 - Glasgow Odeon
    7 - Carlisle ABC
    8 - Chesterfield ABC
    9 - Liverpool Empire
    11 - Bedford Granada
    12 - Southampton Gaumont
    13 - Wolverhampton Gaumont
    14 - Bolton Odeon
    15 - Blackpool Odeon
    16 - Leicester De Montfort Hall
    19 - Birmingham Odeon
    20 - Lincoln ABC
    21 - Newcastle City Hall
    22 - Manchester Odeon
    23 - Hanely Gaumont
    25 - Bristopl Colston Hall
    26 - Cardiff Capitol
    27 - Aldershot ABC
    28 - Slough Adelphi
    29 - Bournemouth Winter Gardens
    30 - Tooting Granada

Thanks

Thursday 6 April 1967
    Scotland (Glasgow, )
    EVENING CITIZEN (page 11) [B&W text ad]
    CINEMAS
    ‘ODEON’ Renfield St.
    Tonight
    6.40 – ON STAGE – 9.0
    Capable Management Ltd. presents
    The Walker Brothers
    CAT STEVENS JIMI HENDRIX
    ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK

Thursday 6 April 1967

Scotland (Glasgow, )
    EVENING TIMES (page 15) [B&W text ad]
    CINEMAS
    ‘ODEON’ Renfield St.
    Tonight
    6.40 – On-Stage – 9.00
    Capable Management Ltd. presents
    THE WALKER BROTHERS
    Cat Stevens Jimi Hendrix
    ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK

Thursday 6 April
    (May) 1967
    USA
    JET [a magazine aimed at “Black” readers](page 28) ‘Paris Scratch Pad’ by Charles L. Sanders
    . . . Visitors to London this year will see the town's very first "soul brother" cop. He's 21-year-old
    Norwell Gumbs from Leeward Islands in the British West Indies, and since England is the most
    racist country over this way
    [NOT! Ed.], his appointment was front-page news—despite the fact
    (and lots of folks don't know this) that there are more "brothers" living in London than in Harlem,
    U.S.A.! . . . Folks up around Seattle will want to know that their little guitar-playing
    Jimi Hendrix
    is now 21, is living in London and is at the top of the pop record polls with his tune,
    Hey Joe, and
    is cleaning up with European tours.

UK
    MELODY MAKER (cover) [B&W photo, close up, smoking cig]Hendrix: ‘clean act’’ by Chis Welch
    Guitar star
    Jimi Hendrixwho jumped into the MM Pop 30 this week at 15 with “Purple Haze” was
    warned to “clean up” his act on his tour with the Walker Brothers this week.

The tour opened at Finsbury Park Astoria, London, last Friday and his manager Chas Chandler told
    the MM on Monday:
    “After Jimis performances on Saturday and Sunday night I was told he had got
    to change his act. The tour organisers said he was too suggestive. I think this is a joke myself and
    there’s not a chance of his changing his set.”

BURNED HAND
    Said Jimi: All I want to do is play my guitar and sing. I’m bemused, I play the way I play
    and I can’t understand the situation at all.”

At the opening night Jimi sustained a burned hand when his guitar accidentally burst into flames at
    the climax of his act.

Writes MM’s Chris Welch who was reviewing the show: “Hendrix was lying on stage playing the guitar
    with his teeth when it suddenly burst into flames.

Jimi leapt backwards and ran off stage followed by his group. The guitar was left burning dangerously
    near the closed curtains, and comp
    ère Nick Jones ran and tried to pick it up, burning his hand in the
    attempt. An attendant rushed on stage with a fire extinguisher and put
    out the flames which were
    leaping ten feet in the air”

[Article below: “DRUGS AND POP”]
    (Page 2) Melody Maker[new]Pop 30
    wk
    02-RE-15. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix (It’s a (RE) as their former '50’ had it at 43)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Raver’s Weekly Tonic
    Life backstage at a big pop concert . . .
    Jimi Hendrix and his Experiencefrantically washed their hair, dressed, sprayed each other with
    deodorant and searched for lost drum sticks and guitar picks in their dressing room.

. . .
    (Page 4) MONTEREY POP
    The first Monterey International Festival of Pop in California is to take place this year from June
    16-18.

This West Coast festival will present top names in pop and hopes to attract thousands of fans from all
    down the coast, including San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Publicity officer Derek Taylor told the MM: “The aim is to bring the best elements of pop together for
    interaction in the open air.” Festival director is Ben Shapiro and producer is Alan Pariser.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BO, BEN BILL
    Bo Diddley and Ben E. King share top billing at London’s Saville Theatre on April 16.
    On May 7, Jimi Hendrix Experience top the bill at the theatre, supported by US star, Garnett
    Mimms
    (Page 7)‘A show which proves pop still has something up its sleeve’ by Chris Welch:
    POP music happened last week. It happened with screams, good music and a burst of flame ten feet
    high.

An odd assortment of performers — Engelbert Humperdinck, the Walker Brothers andJimi Hendrix,
    not to mention Cat Stevens, provided one of the weirdest pop shows I have seen and proved that pop
    still has something up its sleeve other than a hyperdermic
    [sic] needle.
    Biggest surprise of the tour which opened at Finsbury Park Astoria was the sensational performance —
    and audience reaction — by Engelbert. Far from mooning through a series of dreamy ballads, he sung
    with power and enthusiasm and rich varied selection of songs which produced unexpected screams from
    the girl fans. Applause and appreciation were expected, but not the teeny-bopper bit as well!

He roared through "Midnight Hour" with as much conviction as "Release Me".
    Jimi Hendrixwas hit by amplifier trouble and while he was visually exciting, his guitar could not be
    heard above the exciting drumming of
    Mitch Mitchell.
    They wore beautifully coloured stage gear almost as bright as the flames which leapt from Jimi's guitar
    at the end of his act. Unfortunately
    Jimiand compère Nick Jones were both burnt in the accident, and a
    fire extinguisher had to be rushed on stage, while the audience yelled in surprise.

Cat Stevens has improved tremendously stage wise and looked very cool and confident, even while
    wearing a cowboy hat and gun for "I'm Going To Get Me A Gun".

He was competently backed by the Quotations featuring some very fine drumming by Micky Waller. They
    later backed the stars of the show — Scott, John and Gary.

After a careful build-up with judicious shouting by the compère, revolving spotlights and a delayed
    entrance by Scott and John, they came on to "Land Of 1,000 Dances" and the first wave of screams
    drowned any of the singing that was to follow. Scott's ballad voice was mostly inaudible although
    occasionally you could hear John bellowing "Hold On I'm Coming" and "What Now My Love" while Gary
    sang a rather melancholy version of "Turn Your Love Light On," and Scott enjoyed himself beating Leeds'
    drums.

Most of the time all was movement and light, and actual singing disappeared into the maelstrom of
    emotion and tantalisation that is a pop concert.

(Page 10) ‘DRUGS what harm is it doing to pop?’
    . . .
    The Rolling Stones were stripped to their underwear at a Swedish airport last week. The Jimi Hendrix
    Experience
    went through a similar routine at London Airport [ie Mitch - only Mitch - got caught with an
    illegal ‘gas gun’ and HM customs decided that a legitimate reason to strip search him]
    . […etc. etc. yawn]

Thanks

UK
    RECORD MIRROR (page 5) Pop Shorts
    . . . AMEN CORNER resident every Wednesday at London's Speakeasy Club — and JIMI HENDRIX
    often sits in with them
    . . .
    (Page 6) ‘SCREAMS FOR WALKERS’ by Philip Palmer
    IT was screams all the way for the latest Walker Brothers tour which opened at the Finsbury Park
    Astoria last Friday night.

The Quotations opened the show but the first screams of the evening came for The Californians with a
    drummer who looked and played a la
    Keith Moon. Starting with the old Beach Boys number, "Fun,
    Fun, Fun", the boys worked through an old Four Seasons song, "Walk Like A Man", and a snatch from
    "Good Vibrations".
    Jimi Hendrixon his first nation wide tour filled the theatre with his gutsy guitar
    playing, he had the audience on his side with "
    Hey Joe" and "Purple Haze". Finishing with "Purple
    Haze
    " he laid himself out on the floor playing his guitar with his teeth only to find it burst out into
    flames to be put out later by a stage hand. After the show
    Jimiwas taken to hospital with slight burns
    to his hands.

Engelbert Humperdinck, closing the first half, gave a very professional act, immaculate in dinner jacket
    which he later discarded when he sang a beautiful "Summertime". Bounding on stage with "Ain't That
    Good News", the Hump had an almost silent audience when under a single spot light, he sang "Release
    Me". The flip-side was well received, "Ten Guitars", before finishing with "In The Midnight Hour" and
    "Jambalaya".

Surprise of the evening was Cat Stevens. From the opening bars of "Mathew and Son" the audience was
    with him all the way. "I Love My Dog" got a great ovation as did "If I Were A Carpenter". “Here Comes
    My Baby" quickened the pace, and then donning a cowboy hat and shooting iron Cat finished with "I'm
    Gonna Get Me A Gun".

The Walkers? Opening with their usual starter, "Land Of A Thousand Dances", Scott and John appeared
    from the wings, Gary already seated at his drums. Scott dressed almost in black, John in white
    trousers, white shirt and long blue jacket. The screams from the female section of the audience almost
    muffled the songs. "The Sun Ain't Going To Shine Anymore" was the standout number, Gary's solo was
    almost unrecognisable. Remaining songs of a sensational act included "I Need You", "Bare Footin'",
    "Turn On Your Lovelight". Throughout their act Scott and John displayed showmanship which is beyond
    compare, they tried to talk to the audience but what they said is anybody's guess.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bill Harry’s Pop Talk
    Soho’s China Garden Restaurant set the scene for a large 'after-the-show' party held in aid of the
    beginning of the WALKER BROTHERS tour. CAT STEVENS was with LULU once again and various
    personalities such as ENGELBERT and
    JIMI were enjoying the spare ribs etc. CHAS CHANDLER gave
    me his comments on the show, but as we have already reviewed the opening night elsewhere in the
    issue, I'll just say

that he was both disappointed in the lighting effects and the overall unoriginality of the whole thing,
    whilst admitting that there was a lot of professional polish and that some of the acts were extremely
    well-rehearsed.

(Page 11) Britain’s Top [20] R&B Singles
    12 Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Experience(Track 604001)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Britain’s Top 50 [not credited to Record Retailer yet]
    22 Purple Haze 39 (2) [sic, actually 32 (3)] Jimi Hendrix Experience (Track)
    (Page 12) The Face
    . . . HENDRIX ultra-exotic shirts are made for him by Lulu Boutiques, of Islington and Richmond . . .

UK
    RECORD RETAILER (page15) Britain’s Top 50
    Wk
    22 (32) (3) Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Experience Track 604-001 [pub.] Yameta [prod.] (Yameta)
    Radios: London (-), Caroline (-), 270 (-), Scotland (*), BBC Top Tunes (-)
    *Info unavailable that week

Thursday 6 April 1967
    Scotland
    SCOTTISH DAILY EXPRESS (page 7) [B&W Mankowitz photo portrait, ‘Jimi Hendrix’]
    ‘Clean Up Your Act, Singer Told’ by Gordon Reed
    American coloured singer Jimi Hendrixwho is to make a stage appearance in Glasgow tonight, has
    been warned to clean up his act or be banned from the Rank Organisation theatres.

Hendrix is touring with the Walker Brothers pop package show which comes to Glasgow Odeon tonight.
    Complaints about his act were made last Saturday at Ipswich and on Sunday at Worcester.

SUGGESTIVE
    Jimi Hendrix’s manager Charles Chandler, [of] the former Animals pop group who discovered
    Hendrix
    in New York last year and brought him to Britain, said last night: “At Ipswich the show’s road
    manager told me that Maurice King, co-promoter of the tour, wanted
    Jimi’s act cleaned up. A man from
    the Rank Organisation said the act was suggestive.

I told them quite firmly that Jimi wasn’t going to change his act.”
    At Leeds last night before going on stage, 21-year-old Hendrix said: “This is ridiculous. I sing and
    play the guitar, and I do it the way I want to do it. I don’t intend to change it for anyone.”

Thanks

Thursday 6 April 1967
    England
    WOLVERHAMPTON EXPRESS & STAR
    (page?) [B&W text ad]
    GAUMONT—W\TON
    Telephone 26010
    6.30p.m. THURS. APL.13 8.40 p.m.
    The Fabulous
    WALKER BROS
    CAT STEVENS
    JIMI HENDRIX

THE CALIFORNIANS

Compere Nicky Jones

THE QUOTATIONS

Special Guest Star—
    ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
    All-Seats bookable at 15/-, 12/6,

10/6, 7/6. Daily 10.30 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Thursday 6 April 1967
    England

YORKSHIRE EVENING POST
    (page?) ‘Carefree approach winner for Walkers’ by F. W.
    Every top name in the pop world has a secret for success. As far as I'm concerned it's the carefree
    approach to their act which wins the day for the Walker Brothers, who topped the bill at Leeds Odeon last
    night.
    But like all the other top names they attract thousands of high pitched screamers and last night was
    no exception. Not one of their numbers, for all their piercing amplification, was clearly audible—but this is
    another part of their fantastic success which shows no sign of waning. They proved with, their sheer
    professionalism that you have no longer to be "in the charts at the time” to be a big pop name.

SLICK NUMBERS
    They walked casually on and off stage at will, playing to the swiftly-changing spotlights every inch of the
    way. Their infectious songs pulled them through with top honours.

Cat ("Matthew and Son'") Stevens brought the sugar lumps and streamers cascading on to the stage with
    songs which specialise in perfection backing. His slickly executed numbers were rounded off in fine style
    with "I'm Gonna Get Me a Gun,” complete with Western-style gear.

Engelbert Humperdinck, who is the current No. 1 in the charts, kept his big hit "Release Me" until near the
    end of his 15-minute spot. But he had already proved that he's not going to be a one-song star. Nor will he
    be confined to ballads with such a fine voice.

The Jimi Hendrix Experiencehad gimmicks galore (including split trousers) but did not impress. The
    Californians were too much of a carbon-copy Beach Boys Group, but comp
    ère Nick Jones kept the show
    moving when the chanting fans threatened to takeover.

Thursday 6 April 1967
    England

YORKSHIRE POST
    (page?) ‘Pop Singers’ Farewell Visit Brings Tears’ by Reginald Brace
    Odeon Leeds: Walker Brothers, Engelberet Humperdinck, Cat Stevens.THIS may be the last British tour by
    the Walker Brothers, who are anxious to turn to more restful pop pastures than the gruelling grind of one-
    night stands. If they carry out their threat, they can look back on their final assault on a Leeds teenage
    audience with a good deal of professional pride. To maintain the battlefield analogy, the attack was both
    spectacular and
    Successful.Scott and John harmonised in constantly moving spotlight beams; Gary pounded
    the drums phlegmatically. The youngsters waved, and, when it was all over, sometimes dissolved into
    tears.
    My ears are still protesting, but the crowd, who are never wrong, loved it. Can the Walker Brothers really turn
    their backs on this type of adulation? Personally. I doubt it.

Lower down in the decibel rating came Engelbert Humperdinck, a lean, handsome chart-topper with a pleasing
    voice, and Cat Stevens, who is a better song writer than singer.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience was one I would prefer not to repeat, the Californians were an ersatz imitation
    of the Beach Boys, and the Quotations were a workmanlike backing group. Nick Jones, compere, kept the
    audience simmering between acts.

Thanks

Friday 7 April 1967
    England
    BEDFORDSHIRE TIMES (page?) [B&W text ad]
    GRANADA BEDFORD phone 53841
    Open 1.55 sun Apr 9th Week last show 7.10
    (Sun 3 o'cl) except tues 11—stage show (sun 6.40)
    RICHARD JOHNSON ELKE SOMMER
    DEADLIER Than The MALE
    2.15 5.30 8.45 (sun 4.40 8.10) -
    Gunfight In Abilene
    at 3.55 7.10 (sun 3.15 5.40)
    --------------------------------------
    ON STAGE TUES APR 11 7 o'c 9.10
    WALKER BROTHERS
    CAT STEVENS JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE
    Californians | Nicky Jones | Quotations
    ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK
    BOOK NOW
    7/6 10/6 12/6 15/-

Friday 7 (15) April 1967
    USA
    BILLBOARD (page 58) Hits Of The World [from Thursday’s (UK) Record Retailer]
    ‘Britain’
    32 Purple Haze — Jimi Hendrix Experience (Track) Yamata, Yamata [sic, Yameta].
    ‘France’
    7. Hey Joe — Johnny Hallyday
    (Philips) Tatti

Friday 7 (15) April 1967
    USA
    CASH BOX (page 70) Great Britain
    ‘Great Britain’s Best Sellers’
    wk
    19 — 01 Purple Haze Jimi Hendrix (Track) Yameta

Friday 7 April 1967
    England
    BOURNEMOUTH TIMES (page?) [B&W text ad]
    WINTER GARDENS
    SAT., 29th APRIL Arthur Kimbrell presents 6.00 & 8.15
    the fabulous
    WALKER BROTHERS
    CAT STEVENS * JIMI HENDRIX
    Special guest star: Englebert Humperdinck
    plus three other star acts
    15/6, 13/6, 10/6, 8/6booking opens tomorrow (saturday)
    Box office open 10 – 5 (10-8.30 Concert Dates)

Friday 7 April 1967
    England
    CUMBERLAND NEWS (page?) [B&W text ad]:
    ABC Carlisle Tel. 2586
    TODAY — ON THE STAGE. At 6.15 and 8.30.
    THE WALKER BROTHERS
    ENGELBERT HUMPERDINK
    CAT STEVENS JIMI HENDRIX
    The Quotations, The Californians, Nick Jones
    SEATS AVAILABLE FIRST HOUSE ONLY
    ------------------------------------------
    Sunday, 9th April — One Day Only. Cont. From 5.00,
    "The Devil Ship Pirates" (U). Also "The Invincible Seven" (U) Colour.
    MONDAY, 10th APRIL — FOR SIX DAYS. Cont. 1.50 LCP 7.05.
    Robert Stack, Elke Sommer
    "PEKING MEDALLION"
    Technicolour showing at 2.09; 5.30; 8.55. (A)
    Jane Fonda, Jason Robards
    “BACHELOR GIRL APARTMENT”
    Technicolor. Showing at 3.40 and 7.05.(A)

Thanks

Friday 7 April 1967
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    DAILY RECORD (page 4) POP SHOP
    ‘The Jimi Sound Is Racing To Success’ by Donald Bruce [B&W Mankowitz photo portrait,
    JIMI HENDRIX. . . looks like a wild-eyed revolutionary from the Caribbean.’]
    [Nail on the head, my man! Haiti, specifically Toussaint l’Ouverture’s army. Ed.]
    “Talking to Jimi Hendrix[6 April, Odeon Cinema, Glasgow] about him and his Experience is, in
    itself, quite an
    experience. For one thing,Jimi(see pic) is scarcely likely to qualify for a best-
    looking bloke competition.
    For another thing he's from the West Coast (no, not Largs, lady, Seattle),
    and that's like listening to someone who mixes Scotch with a bit of German, a lot of American and a
    wee tottie French.

He doesn’t talk. He drawls ah, ya know, well, ya see, it’s this way, ah don’t know, yea, I guess
    so, well, it’s hard to say.
    And so on. What can’t be contradicted is thatthe Jimi Hendrix
    Experience
    (Jimi and two others) in Glasgow last night on the Walker Brothers’ show, have made the
    biggest impact in the shortest possible time on the pop scene since maybe the Walker Brothers
    themselves.

Jimi has only been in Britain since last September. But in that time he has been described by Mr.
    Brian Epstein
    (no mug) as "the greatest talent since the Rolling Stones," and, more practically, he
    has had one record ("
    Hey, Joe") in the top five, with his present one, "Purple Haze" racing crazily to
    the top.

So why should Jimi worry if he looks like a wild-eyed revolutionary from the Caribbean and that he talks
    with the shut-eye still in his big mouth (see pic again)?

Jimi itself is a gimmick. He says it's just easier to spell that way than Jimmy. Hendrix, though,
    sure thing, is for real.

He was playing in what he calls "The Village" last autumn, which is Greenwich Village, on the raw edge
    of New York, crammed with way out clubs with way in signs.

Chas Chandler, an ex-Animal, found the way in and Jimi found the way out-to London, England, with
    Chas
    who figured thatJimi Hendrix was just what the whole explosive pop scene in Britain was waiting
    for.

ASTONISHING
    Who's to say he's wrong, in view of the astonishing climax to six months in the business, a nationwide tour
    with the biggest pop names going around?

Initially, Jimi got around him Mitch Mitchell, who used to play with Georgie Fame and the Blue
    Flames
    , and the bassist, Noel Redding, who used to be one of the Lovin' Kind, and that added up to
    Experience.
    "Anything that happens, whether it's good or bad, is an experience. Anything that happens in
    music is an experience, good or bad."
    Jimi figures that the happening, or the event, or the non-
    happening or just the experience, has been a good thing. It's an amalgam of all he feels in music,
    in that he is a blues man,
    Noel is a rock 'n' roll man, and Mitch is just mad about jazz.
    "Hey Joe" finishing at No.5 knocked Jimi out, because, as he says, it's a 100 year-old traditional
    cowboy song
    [NOT! Ed.].
    AFFINITY
    "Purple Haze" is different from "Hey, Joe" in every way, including authorship.
    Jimi wrote it himself, mainly in studios, and that's some going, because some rehearsal studios,
    he says,
    have virtually kicked him and the Experience out because their music has been "too loud."
    Certainly, it's brooding, threatening beat will find it's natural home in dark cafes and thumping Juke boxes,
    or in dimly lit clubs where jungle rhythms find an irresistible affinity

And for those who worry about these things, purple haze is what happens to a young man when the drug
    of love overcomes him. Or as
    Jimi puts it: “He likes this girl so much, that he doesn’t know what he’s
    in, ya know. A sort of daze, ah suppose. That’s what the song is all about.” Certainly, when the

purple haze
    clears, it’s going to open out into the bright sunlight of the top one, two, three, four
    or five, ya know, ah suppose.”

------------------------------------

TOP TWENTY
    11. (9) Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles...
    15. (-) Purple Haze - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    [Chart by arrangement with Melody Maker]

Friday 7 April 1967
    England
    DERBYSHIRE TIMES (page?) [B&W text ad]
    ABC Chesterfield Tel. 3333
    ALL NEXT WEEK
    Robert Vaughn Elke Sommer
    THE VENETIAN AFFAIR
    (A) Metrocolor. At 1.55, 5.20, 8.40.
    Robert Horton Diane Baker
    The Dangerous Days of Kiowa Jones
    (A). Metrocolor. At 3.30 & 6.50
    Plus PATHE NEWS.
    Sunday, April 9th, for one day: Rod Steiger AL CAPONE (A),
    also UNEARTHLY STRANGER (A).
    ------------------------------------
    Note: Sat., April 8th. One day only
    On the Stage. 6.10 & 8.25.
    THE WALKER BROTHERS
    ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK
    Cat Stevens Jimi Hendrix
    with Full Supporting Artistes.
    Seats available 7/6 (1st & 2nd houses)

Thanks

Friday 7 April 1967
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    EVENING TIMES (page 10) POP PICKIN with Jimmy Craven
    [Piece on Otis Redding, Sam & Dave /Stax package show Glasgow visit, with Otis interview]
    POP TWENTY
    . . .
    15 PURPLE HAZE Jimi Hendrix (—)
    . . .
    [Chart by arrangement with Melody Maker]

Friday 7 (8) April 1967
    UK
    NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS (page 5) NME Top 30
    wk
    02-25-23. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Experience
    (Page 12) Tailpieces By the Alley Cat
    . . . Gary Leeds ardent supporter of Jimi Hendrix. . .
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    [B&W photo, caption: ‘Relaxing backstage on the opening night at Finsbury Park, Astoria (L to R )
    Jimi Hendrix
    , Cat Stevens, Gary Leeds and Englebert Humperdinck’], ‘Walker Surprises’ by Keith
    Altham: “We were well and truly blitzed with "mini-happenings" on the Walker Brothers’ Tour opening
    night, at Finsbury Park Astoria last Friday, when
    Jimi Hendrix literally set the scene alight after his
    guitar exploded in a sheet of flames at the end of his act.

The curtain fell and rose again on the Walkers’ exciting act to reveal an Amazon-like fan mobbing
    Scott Engel and gallantly being rescued (or was it abetted?) by publicist Brian Sommerville.

Cat Stevens wore a Stetson and gun holster to convince us all that "I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun" was
    just a little old cowboy song and nothing controversial, while Engelbert Humperdinck was smooth,
    suave and sophisticated and followed
    Hendrix rather like Dr. Jekyll following Mr. Hyde.
    The Walkers proved to be supreme pop stars, giving us a sensible selection of "songs to scream to"
    (but what a pity no one takes time out to listen to Scott Engel’s fine voice), including "Land Of A
    Thousand Dances," "Hold On I’m Coming," "What Now My Love," "The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine
    Anymore." "I Need You, " and finishing with "Oop Oop A Doop."

Lovable "Leeds "—the Walkers’ auxiliary drummer, gave us "Turn On Your Light" as his solo spot. He
    proved he still had his supporters.

Cat Stevens looked good—in green Edwardian frock coat—sounded good, especially on "Matthew
    And Son" and "Here Comes My Baby."

An intelligent variation in numbers, in which he also performed "I Love My Dog," "If I Were A
    Carpenter." and "I’m Gonna Get Me A Gun" rounded off a first-class performance.

To me Stevens was the surprise packet on the show.
    Engelbert Humperdinck closed the first half and appeared the picture of sartorial elegance in a tuxedo,
    singing a selection of songs more obviously suited to a cabaret audience.

This might have misfired had it not been for his professional approach and excellent stage manner.
    His best reaction was undoubtedly for his huge hit, "Release Me" and a fine vocal performance of
    "Summertime" well suited to his strong voice.

Other numbers were "Ain’t That Good News, " "Let Me Be Yours," "Midnight Hour," "Ten Guitars" and
    "Jambalaya."

The Jimi Hendrix Experience are a musical labyrinth—you either find your way into the solid wall of
    incredible sound, or you sit back and gasp at
    Hendrix’ guitar antics and showmanship, wondering what
    it’s all about.
    The sounds are something new—you either dig it or you do not.
    "Foxy Lady," "Can You See Me" and Jimi’s two hits "Hey Joe," and "Purple Haze," were the entire
    Hendrix programme.
    Finale to Hendrix’ act came about when his guitar burst into flames by "accident" we are assured, and
    precipitated the entrance of a security officer who sprayed detergent from a canister all over compere
    Nick Jones.

The Californians’ act was all but drowned by a posse of young "ladies" seated directly behind the
    reviewers. The show was opened by the Quotations, who later provided brilliant backings for Cat
    Stevens and the Walkers.

----------------------------
    WHO’S WHERE
    (week commencing April 7)
    WALKERS, HUMPERDINCK, STEVENS,
    HENDRIX - Carlisle ABC (7th); Chesterfield ABC (8th); Liverpool
    Empire (9th); Bedford Granada (11th); Southampton Gaumont (12th); Wolverhampton Odeon (13th);
    Bolton Odeon (14th).

Thanks

Friday 7 April 1967
    England
    NEWCASTLE JOURNAL (page?) POP RELEASES by David Surrey [B&W JHE photo portrait]
    ‘The ugly look is in the money’
    The commonest symptom of the age of groupdom has been the ugliness cult. It has proved beyond all
    doubt that fan worship, like love, is blind.

Some of the stars have been so scruffy that one would think they had the kind of fascination usually
    reserved for the snake-pit at the zoo, yet they still rate as top teenage pin-ups.

The Rolling Stones were perhaps the first to exploit the X-certificate value of personal appearance,
    but now a group hailed by
    Brian Epstein as the greatest talent since Mick Jagger and company look
    like becoming all-time great uglies.

By all accounts the Jimi Hendrix Experience have become the latest rave of the clubs and halls with
    their explosive if somewhat gruesome stage act.

Hard-driving
    Their new single, "Purple Haze,'' issued by Track Records’ Polydor subsidiary, is already booked for
    the Top 20.

The hard-driving, dense soul atmosphere is strongly projected with loud and violent guitar work. And
    with earthy vocals by
    Hendrix himself — one of ex-Animal Chas Chandlers discoveries in America.
    Tom Jones is certainly determined to keep the ball rolling this year. "Green, Green Grass Of Home has
    now sold over 1¼ million copies in Britain alone. "Detroit City" is still in the Top 20. Yet he has a new
    single release today.

It is "Funny Familiar Forgotten Feelings" (Decca) another American country ballad, though without the
    Jerry Lee Lewis pedigree that has marked the previous two.

A track from his new album. It is an emotional, medium-pace song with a strong chorus and prominent
    piano; but it lacks the rhythmic impact of his past hits.

[Also in 7-04-67 NEWCASTLE JOURNAL: ‘The ugly look is in the money’ & 7-04-67 WOBURN
    REPORTER
    : ‘The sizzling Jimi Hendrix Experience—left to right, ex-Georgie Fame, drummer Mitch
    Mitchell
    , bassist Noel Redding (ex-Loving Kind), and 21-year old Jimi, from Seattle.]

Friday 7 April 1967
    UK
    RAVE (page?) [title?] by Mike Grant
    [Jimi]: "I don't want anyone to stick a psychedelic label around my neck. Imagination is the
    key to my lyric[s] and the rest is painted with a little science fiction. I could never keep to one
    musical style...
    'Red House' is a kind of R&B number which might make it in the top 500.”

Friday 7 (15) April 1967USA
    RECORD WORLD ([NO HENDRIX RELATED STUFF]

Friday 7 April 1967
    England
    SLOUGH OBSERVER (page?) [B&W text ad]
    ADELPHI Slough phone 20470
    open 2 oc’ (sun 4 o'c) Sunday April 9 For 7 Days
    Stunning International Cast
    IS PARIS BURNING
    2.15 5.15 8.20 (sun 4.35 8.5) a.
    Infamous Conduct
    4.35 7.40 (sun 7.26) a.
    STAGE MONDAY APR 24-7.30
    WRESTLING
    JOE CORNELIUS BRUNO ELRINGTON
    & STEVE VEIDOR V ROY BULL DAVIS
    Trood V Joyce Green V Hurst Rann V Penzecoff
    Docker Don Steadman V Sean Regan
    BOOK NOW 10/6 8/6 6/6 4/6
    -------------------------------------
    ON STAGE FRIDAY APRIL 28 6.40 & 8.50
    Walker Brothers
    CAT STEVENS JIMI HENDRIX
    ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
    BOOK NOW 15/- 12/6 9/6 6/6
    ----------------------------------------
    THE WEEKEND DANCE SCENE STARTS HERE!!
    SATURDAY BEAT TRILOGY Part 3
    Ziggy Turner Combo admission 5/-
    (4/- before 8.30)
    SUNDAY CLUB GUESTS
    SYSTEM
    7.30 - 10.30 4/.
    The HERD is COMING
    Sunday April 16
    TUESDAY
    DISCS DISCS DISCS
    7.30 - 10.30 3/-

Thanks

Friday 7 April 1967
    Wales (Cardiff)
    WESTERN MAIL (page?) [B&W text ad.]
    CINEMAS
    CAPITOL Tel: 31316
    GREAT WALT DISNEY PROGRAMME
    "LADY AND THE TRAMP"
    (U) Tech. 2.30, 5.50, 9.10.
    "Ballerina"
    (U) Tech. 12.25, 3.50, 7.10.
    WEDS. 28th APRIL — ON STAGE
    THE WALKER BROTHERS
    ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK

Friday 7 April 1967
    England
    WORCESTER DAILY NEWS (page?) [B&W photos] For those who weren't able to go along to Worcester
    Gaumont Cinema on Sunday night, here are some pictures of the four top acts. Above: Englebert
    Humperdinck, Cat Stevens,
    the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Below right: the Walker Brothers. They all posed
    agreeably backstage between performances—which makes a change from certain stars—for “Evening News”
    photographer Vaughan Willcox.

Saturday 8 April 1967
    England
    CARLISLE & CUMBERLAND JOURNAL [unpublished article] by reporter Lorraine Walsh
    “Forty minutes before curtains up [7 April,ABC Cinema], the right hand side door was briefly opened up to
    allow the press in. They included reporters and photographers from the Cumberland News, the Carlisle
    [&
    Cumberland]
    Journal, and the Newcastle Journal. Engelbert Humperdinck caused quite a upset when he
    ordered the senior doorman to go out on to Warwick Road and stop a street hawker from selling
    uncomplimentary photographs of himself taken two years previously when he was working under the name
    of Gerry Dorsey. The sea of faces pushing on the glass of the main front doors soon dissuaded the doorman
    from attempting to open the doors to take action on the street, and the incident was soon forgotten when
    Humperdinck was promoted to the star number one dressing room over the top of the bill, the Walker
    Brothers. They said they would gladly take the most humble dressing room and upon entering this room
    they all promptly sat on the floor to greet the press, as had been the procedure they had adopted on their
    recent Japanese tour.

Dressing rooms four and five were occupied by the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cat Stevens. Jimi
    Hendrix
    was the only performer to excuse himself from the press call, complaining of a swollen ankle, the
    result he said from a fall during his service with the army, two
    [sic] years earlier [which we now know to be
    bullshit. Ed.]
    .Noel and Mitch did however persuadeJimi to come into the corridor to sign a few
    autographs…The curtain rose at 19:07 and the Quotations did a fine job of warming the capacity audience
    up to a fine concert ahead. Comp
    ère Nick Jones took over the mike after four numbers and after a breezy
    display of his unique Liverpool wit, he introduced the Californians who dazzled the audience with their
    fabulous Beach Boys surfing sound…Nick Jones then had the unenviable task of entertaining the fans during
    the four minute interval that followed.

Soon the chants of Jimi, Jimidrowned the compère’s voice and the curtain lifted to screams of ecstasy
    from the Cumbrian fans. One young girl ran down the main aisle and managed to vault over the orchestra
    pit into
    Jimi’s own arms. A Carlisle Corporation bouncer named Ginger Watson gently escorted her off stage
    and the Lonsdale ABC echoed to the haunting sound of ‘
    Hey Joe’, Jimi’s opening number.
    In the following numbers only ‘Purple Haze was distinguishable in the screams and cries of delight from
    the 2,000 fans.
    Jimi did a good impression of making love to his guitar on stage and then proceeded to pluck
    the strings with his teeth, at this stage, uppity St John’s Ambulance Brigade were busy reviving young girls
    who had either fainted or become hysterical. As the curtain came down 21 year old Nick Jones tried to keep
    his composure and prepare the audience to greet Engelbert Humperdinck, only to be drowned out by the
    continuing screams for
    Jimi.”

Friday 7 (15) April 1967
    USA
    CASH BOX(page 70) Great Britain's Best Sellers
    19 -- 1 Purple HazeJimi Hendrix (Track) Yameta

Saturday 8 April 1967
    England
    LIVERPOOL ECHO(page?) [B&W text ad.]
    *THEATRES
    EMPIRE Theatre | Royal 1555
    This Week Theatre closed.
    Sunday. April 9 only 5.40 and 8.0
    THE WALKER BROTHERS
    ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
    CAT STEVENS, Jimi Hendrix &c.
    Stalls: 15/-, 12/6, 10/6
    Circle: 15/-, 12/6, 10/6, 7/6. Book Now
    --------------------------
    BRASILIANA 1967
    Direct from Brazil
    The world famous CARNIVAL IN RIO
    Dazzling Dancers Hypnotic Rhythms
    Stalls: 12/6, 10/6, 9/-, 7/6.
    Circle: 12/6, 8/6, 6/6, 4/6.

Thanks

Saturday 8 April 1967
    England (Southampton)
    SOUTHERN EVENING ECHO (page?) [B&W text ad.]
    GAUMONT Southampton Tel. 22342
    ON THE STAGE
    Booking Now
    WED., APRIL 12 - FOR ONE DAY
    6.15 CAPABLE MANAGEMENT LTD. 8-40
    In association with Harold Davison and Tito Burns present
    THE WALKER BROTHERS
    CAT STEVENS • JIMI HENDRIX
    THE CALIFORNIANS • THE QUOTATIONS
    NICKY JONES
    Special guest star ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
    SEATS: 15/-, 12/6, 10/6, 8/6, 6/6, 5/-.
    Booking Office open daily 10 am.—8 p.m. (closed Sunday)

[Day?] April 1967
    UK
    [UNKNOWN paper] (page?) [title?] Maurice King (tour promoter) : “All the Rank theatres on the tour
    have complained to me about
    Jimi’s act and if he doesn’t clean it up he will be banned from their
    theatres.”

Friday 7 (15) April 1967
    USA
    RECORD WORLD (page 29) Fraser White’s Eyeview Europe
    Who, Jimi To Track
    LONDON Track Records England's newest record company, has signed its first two star names, the
    Who
    and the Jimi Hendrix Experience, two of the hottest U.K. groups.
    The first release from Track is the Jimi Hendrix Experience single, "Purple Haze" A new single
    from
    the Who and the Jimi Hendrix Experience’s first album will be released shortly. The Who are
    also recording a series of instrumental EP's for
    Track.
    Track Execs
    Men behind the new label are Kit Lambert and Chris Stamp who are also managers of the Who.
    Their fellow director is
    Pete Kameron.
    Track will be distributed in the U.K. and Europe by Polydor.
    Pete Townshend of the Who will be supervising the jazz section of Track, and Kit Lambert is
    organizing the classical department.

Track HQ is at 6 Chesterfield Gardens, London, W.1. (Phone: Mayfair 4726)

Sunday 9 April 1967
    Sweden
    DAGENS NYHETER [‘Today’s News’] (page?) [B&W photo in ‘Hussars’ jacket] Sunday’s Pop
    Jimi Hendrix – angry young man’ by Björn Lundholm
    Jimi Hendrix is called “The angry young man” of the pop music world. He is coloured, has an
    expressive face
    on which his beard grows freely. He wears showy uniform jackets, his hair is like
    a turban.
    Jimi has more watts in his guitar than anyone else. The other week, in Amsterdam,
    his show was stopped. The floor almost broke down under the decibel pressure.

- But we will improve, says Jimi. We will get an amplifier and loudspeakers for Mitch's
    drums
    Most people who listen to the Jimi Hendrix Experience cover their ears with their hands.
    - Good, says Jimi. We want to influence them physically. It is meant to hurt. I get
    “high” myself off this music.

Jimi, a calm and relaxed 22-year-old guy, without neuroses off stage, wants to make a new
    and free pop music.

- Look at The Rolling Stones, they play “sweet music” today. We want to be
    controversial. We are no nice boys, and don't play sweet music.

Success came suddenly to the Jimi Hendrix Experience. They rehearsed for four hours,
    learned three songs
    , flew to Paris and played at the famous Olympia.
    Success.
    - We don't believe in rehearsals, says Jimi. And no rehearsal halls accept us any more.
    They say we play too loud. We don't want to plan our music. It is meant to be a
    surprise - both to us, and the audience.

Like The Cream, who visited Sweden recently, Jimis group consists of just three men.
    - We are freer. And we hate organization - which there always is in a bigger band.
    Jimi doesn’t strive for the number one spot on the charts. His music is too controversial for that.
    - We want to play “free music”, what we feel like for the moment.
    And, what Jimi, Mitch and Noel often feel, when they play, is a destructive feeling of lust. They
    play loud, scream instead of sing, smash up the drums occasionally. Because of that, it is
    impossible to put a label on
    The Experience’s music. You can trace old rock and roll sounds, a
    blues feel and jazz influences. The guys in The Kinks,
    The Beatles and The Hollies are
    approaching the middle age of pop music. Many
    people are beginning to consider their music as
    somewhat old-fashioned.
    Jimi Hendrix wants to throw a hand grenade into that stagnation with
    his fiery, angry
    , psychedelic music. With only two singles he is already one of the front men of the
    new pop generation.

Thanks

Sunday 9 April 1967
    England (Newcastle)
    SUNDAY SUN (page?) [B&W text ad.]
    City Hall, Newcastle, Fri.. April 21st At 6 P.M. & 8.30 P.M.
    The Fabulous
    WALKER BROTHERS
    With Special Guest Star
    ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
    The Californians * The Quotations * Nicky Jones (Compere)
    Tickets: 15/-, 12/6, 10/6, 8/6.
    A.E. COOK LTD. Saville Place, Newcastle. Tel. 22638.

Monday 10 April 1967
    West Germany (BRD)
    BRAVO (page?) [B&W photo of Jimi singing]
    JIMMY HENDRIX, Born. 27.11.1945
    in Seattle/D. C. ADD: ANIM. Ltd., 39 Gerard Street,
    London W1.
    With his song "Hey Joe" Jimmy is now trying to achieve success
    in Germany.

Monday 10 April 1967
    England
    LEICESTER MERCURY (page?) [B&W text ad.]
    De Montfort Hall —Leicester
    THIS SUNDAY-5.40 & 8 p.m.
    ARTHUR KIMBRELL presents
    The Fabulous
    WALKER BROTHERS
    CAT STEVENS : JIMI HENDRIX
    ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
    Plus 3 Other Star Artists In Big All Star Show
    Good Seats Still Available For Both Performances
    15/-, 12/6, 10/6, 9/6, 8/6, 7/6.
    Municipal Box Office, Charles Street, Leicester. Tel. 27632:
    Arthur Kimbrell, 33, Rugby Road, Hinckley. Tel. Hinckley 3563.
    Postal bookings: enclose remittance and s.a.e.

Tuesday 11 April 1967
    England
    WOBURN REPORTER (page?) [B&W group photo portrait (same as 07-04-67 Newcastle Journal
    ‘The ugly look is in the money’ article!), ‘The sizzling
    Jimi Hendrix Experience—left to right,
    ex-
    Georgie Fame, drummer Mitch Mitchell, bassist Noel Reddding (ex-Loving Kind), and
    21-year old
    Jimi, from Seattle.]
    ‘Tune In, Turn On—And Drop Out! by
    DISC SPINNER
    What an Experience! Yes, it's the electric Jimi Hendrix with his Experience who promise to blow the
    roof off tonight's stage-show spectacular at the GRANADA. The show contains bill-topping Walker
    Brothers, chart-topping Engelbert Humperdinck and show-stopping Cat Stevens.

Last month's sell-out show with Spencer Davis, The Hollies, and Paul Jones was an indication that if the
    right show comes to Bedford, the fans are prepared to pay up to 15s. a seat to watch two hours'
    worthwhile entertainment. But a show with one so-called "star" and a bill padded out with one-hit
    wonders doesn't fool anybody, even Bedford fans.

Just as last month's show, there's a choice of stars depending on your taste. If Mum and Dad are coming
    along, don't forget to quell your screams (of agony) as Happy Hump Humperdinck minces out from
    behind the curtain with a twee smile on his face.

Don't forget, after all, that Mum and Dad like to tune in, turn on and drop out in their own quiet way just
    like the rest of us.

It'll only be a small drop in the ocean, though, against Hendrix (whom Stevie Winwood told me he rated
    the best guitarist in England, together with Clapton), Cat Stevens and the prodigious Walkers, who are
    supposedly making their last tour.

With their latest single, "Deadlier than the male”, coupled with the beautiful "Archangel", a miss, though,
    the odds are against their settling down to a peaceful life off the road.

But with this “positively only chance" of seeing the Walkers live in Bedford, it's worth missing "The Love
    Story" on BBC or some bizarre updated western on ITV. So get out-and scream!

Thanks

Wednesday 12 April 1967
    England
    BOURNEMOUTH TIMES (page?) [B&W text ad.]
    WINTER GARDENS
    SAT., 29th APRIL Arthur Kimbrell presents 6.00 & 8.15
    The Fabulous
    WALKER BROTHERS
    Special guest star: ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK
    plus three other star acts
    15/6, 13/6, 10/6, 8/6Now Booking
    Box office open 10 – 5 (10-8.30 Concert Dates)

Wednesday 12 (13) April 1967
    USA (NYC, NY)
    VILLAGE VOICE [NO JIMI CONTENT] (page 7&8) ‘Is Acid Obsolete? The New Letters Are STP’
    by Don McNeill
    During a brief cease-fire recently, acid pro Dr. Richard Alpert came to chat with the administrator
    of the Los Angeles office of the Bureau of Drug Abuse Control. The administrator was cooly cordial;
    Alpert was beaming.

"You'll be happy to know that we've solved the LSD problem," Alpert began.
    "How?" The administrator was suspicious.
    "STP," said Alpert.
    "What's that?" asked the administrator.
    Alpert began talking about fuel oil additives, and the administrator smiled weakly. Alpert was
    reassuring. "Don't worry," he said. "They have quality control in the labs."

If the LSD problem hasn't quite been solved, it may seem minor in the months to come. STP is a
    new psychedelic drug which, since its arrival in New York a month ago, has become the most
    sought-after high on the psychedelic scene. Free samples have been carefully distributed to
    experienced
    acid-heads, and perhaps 100 New Yorkers have taken the STP trip. A number of "bad
    trips
    " have been reported, even among LSD veterans. But survivors are enthusiastic. On the basis
    of their reports,
    LSD may be obsolete.
    Not only is the drug stronger and longer than LSD, it is reputed to have a permanent, cumulative
    effect, leading an early
    STP expert to call the drug "a specific mutant agent." Moreover, it seems to
    be a carefully planned circumvention of drug control. Unlike
    LSD and the major psychedelic drugs to
    date,
    STP has no pharmacological history. No patents have been filed. No chemical abstracts have
    appeared. It is rumored that a substance has been added to the little white pills which will obscure
    the chemical composition in the event of a spectrum analysis. The ingredients, needless to say, are
    a precious secret.

The most recurrent message about STP is a warning. The drug is new, powerful, and unpredictable.
    Unlike
    LSD there are no “maps" for the trip and no experienced "guides”. The errant explorer is
    strictly on his own.

The medical aspects of STP are still a complete mystery. The potential for disaster is obvious.
    Alpert discussed STP before a recent meeting of the Jade Companions, a hippie "protective
    association." at the Second Avenue headquarters of the Millennium Film Workshop. His comments
    were brief, but they added some substance to the deluge of rumors on the East Side about the drug.

All veterans concur on the overwhelming power of STP. They speak of a maelstrom of relentless
    energy. "A feeling," said Alpert, "that it's going to do it to you whether you like it or not." The energy
    seems to manifest itself physically. "You feel like your body is a conductor for tens of thousands of
    volts," said a user. "I was desperate for a “ground." People tripping on
    STP physically tremble with
    the energy sensation. It is a stretching, quivering, shaking experience. Many have emerged from

STP
    with a sudden concern for physical health.
    "We have to be strong," said one. "We need protein. The macrobiotic diet is bad news."
    The relentless rush of energy is often a frightening experience. "Acid is like being let out of a cage."
    explained one user. "
    STP is like being shot out of a gun. There's no slowing down or backing up. You
    feel like your brakes have given out."

“At least for me," Alpert said, "there was a way to hide with LSD. I didn"t get that with STP."
    "In the middle of it," he continued, "I was screaming for Timothy (Leary). TIM! Come help me! When
    Timothy was taking it for the first time, he called for Richard. It scares you."

A key to survival in the STP experience seems to be an ability to surrender to the energy flow of the
    drug. Resisting the rush or holding back can lead, many report, to an incredibly

frustrating, uptight experience.
    STP seems to lack the disorientation of acid. Although the audio and visual hallucinations are vivid, a
    girl explained, "everything looks like it does when you're straight. It's like being on the other side of a
    glass wall. There also seems to be less identity confusion than under
    LSD. You know who you are,"
    she said. Many have found that they could easily function—make telephone calls, find cabs—shortly
    after the peak of the
    STP experience. These things can be difficult to do after an intense LSD
    experience.

Another recurring report about STP is a sensation of timelessness. Alpert calls it "a totally NOW
    orientation." Past and future seem to dissolve in an electric present. As time was lost, Alpert recalled,
    "I felt that I had lost something human. I felt that I had lost my humanity."

But the most enticing, and clearly the most disturbing aspect of STP is that, unlike LSD, it seems to
    have a cumulative effect. It is a long trip to begin with. The direct effects last about 14 hours, and a
    stoned aftermath may continue until sleep.

The next morning, many STP initiates have discovered that they still felt high, or at least
    "different." It is a mild feeling but a persistent one. Generaly rated a "good" feeling, it seems
    to last indefinitely.
    It's reasonable to ask what the hell is going on," said Alpert "Are these the same things we were saying
    about
    LSD?"
    "There is a mystique growing up around it," Timothy Leary commented. "It exposes your personal game
    to microscopic analysis. People seem to come out of it much straighter about themselves."

Some people claim to have discovered intense telepathic powers in STP. Another curious aspect of STP,
    a user explained, is that at the peak of the experience you tend to think that everyone else has taken
    the drug. He described his experience:

I got out of the cab on St. Mark's Place. It was three in the morning and the street was full of people,
    standing around. The sky was glowing, like it was flaming. I thought it was the Second Coming or
    something. I was absolutely convinced that it had just happened, or would happen in seconds. And I
    thought everyone else knew it. How do you react when you're convinced? I was completely out of
    control."

The scant history of the drug only intensifies the mystery. The name STP (rumored to have been
    suggested by the
    Hell's Angels) was a playful attempt at confusion, another STP is a much-publicized
    motor oil ingredient). The catch is that the initials are the only identification of the drug. Without patents
    or chemical abstracts, it technically does not exist. The big question is whether the rumored additive can
    successfully obscure the secret ingredients.

"I don't know what's in it." Alpert told the meeting. "I don’t, want to know," he said darkly, "because
    somebody else will want to know soon."

The FDA is already tracking it down. A spokesman for the New York office of the Bureau of Drug Abuse
    Control was optimistic. "We have an idea of what it is," he said. "It may just be another name for
    LSD.
    If any is seized, it will naturally be analyzed. Then we'll know the exact chemical composition."

But until it is identified. It seems that STP will be legal. Identification is a prerequisite for control. If the
    additive can successfully obscure the chemical make-up of
    STP, the hands of the FDA might be tied.
    There is talk of alchemy in 1967.
    -------------------------------------
    ‘Krippner to Talk’
    Dr. Stanley Krippner of the Dream Laboratory at Maimonides Hospital will speak on "Psychedelic
    Mysticism — Artificial, or Genuine" on Friday, April 21, at 8 p.m. The Free lecture, second in the New
    Orpheus Lectures Series, will be given at, Fordham University's School of Education, Room 1202, 302
    Broadway

(Page 15) [B&W ad.] Renewal Magazine Presents In Celebration Of The Pentecost
    An Evening With GOD [‘GOD’ in giant text as if neon, sitting on a line drawn cloud]
    In Person Dick Gregory, Dr. Timothy Leary, Rev. Martin Boyd, Dr. Harvey Cox, Len Chandler And Paul
    Krassner. May 13th Saturday 8 pm and 12:00 Midnight At The Village Theatre 105 Second Avenue All
    Seats Reserved $3.00 Mail Orders Promptly Filled.

(Page 17)[B&W ad] ALAN WATTS Seminars: Apr. 15-16 & 22-23 ‘Birth, Death & the Unborn’ Zen
    Rediscovered $25 ea. 140 W.57 St. Info & Res. B. Somers, 41 W 70 St.

Thanks

Thursday 13 (15) April 1967
    UK
    DISC & MUSIC ECHO (page 2) SCENE
    Jimi Hendrix lost his voice shortly before his Dee Time debut [4 April, BBC TV, Manchester]
    . . . Steve Hyatt, one-third of the Pyramid, lost a front tooth "doing a Jimi Hendrix" by playing
    guitar with his teeth! . . .

(Page 3) Disc Top 30
    wk
    03-17-10. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix,Track
    (Page 5) COUNTDOWN
    thursday
    Walker Brothers, Engelbert Humperdinck, Cat Stevens, Jimi Hendrix— Gaumont, Wolverhampton.
    Friday
    Walker Brothers tour—Odeon, Bolton
    Saturday
    Walker Brothers tour—Odeon, Blackpool
    Sunday
    Walker Brothers tour—Demontfort Hall, Leicester
    Wednesday
    Walker Brothers tour— Odeon, Birmingham
    (Page 6) Stars In The News-2 [8 April, ABC Cinema. B&W close up of face: JIMI Finished LP’]
    Jimi Hendrix Injured On Tour’
    JIMI HENDRIX had four stitches put in his foot after a fuzz-box foot control broke during his show
    with the Walker Brothers at Chesterfield on Saturday. But he was able to go on for the second house.

He has completed the 12 self-written tracks for his first LP, but manager Chas Chandler is undecided
    whether to release it immediately or rush-release a new single.

Jimi spends the whole of next month in Germany, apart from his appearance at the Saville Theatre,
    London, with
    Garnett Mimms (7). And in June he does his first American tour.
    (Page 8) [B&W close up of face:JIMI ruined guitar’]
    “‘Me Vulgar? You Must Be Joking’. Says Hendrix
    Apart from a pretty authentic attempt to ape the original Wild Man of Borneo, while brushing his teeth
    and scratching his elbow on guitar strings, making much noise in the process,
    Jimi Hendrixis really a
    rather harmless person.

But the above eccentricities have been branded both “obscene,” suggestive” and “vulgar” on his current
    tour with the Walker Brothers, Engelbert, and Cat Stevens—and the inoffensive
    Mr. Hendrix has been
    warned to “cut it out,” meaning apparently the teeth brushing and elbow scratching.

The Hendrix answer is to ignore authority as all wild men do. “The tour manager (Don Finlayson) told
    me to stop using all this in my act because he said it was obscene and vulgar. I have been threatened
    every night of the tour so far and I’m not going to stop for him.

“There’s nothing vulgar about it at all. I've been using this act all the way since I've been in
    Britain. I just don't know where these people get the idea from that it's an obscene act."

Mr. Hendrix, of course, didn't exactly endear the powers-that-be when his guitar burst into flames on
    opening night, he fled to the wings, hotfoot, presumably, and the abandoned guitar came close to igniting
    the curtains

"I was on my knees at the time and the guitar had kept giving me slight electric shocks and
    shorting out. When it burst into flames," he added, "I was kinda shocked, and that's why I just
    ran off.

"That guitar is completely ruined—I guess I'll hang it on my bedroom wall as a memento."
    A weird tour for Hendrix. He hardly fits into a bill comprising the dramatic Walkers, dreamy Engelbert and
    demure Cat.

We wondered about the bill before the tour started, and it’s certainly true that any reception we
    get form the fans is more of an after effect. Just because our act is a little different from the rest
    isn't really hurting us.
    All the sweet people follow us on the bill, so we have to make it hot for
    them.

(Page 13)QUERY DESK
    When is Jimi Hendrix’s LP being released?—K. Malcolm, 42 Maple Terrace, Houghton-Le-Spring.
    • Early in May. It has been delayed by technical faults, but Jimi has been making up time with all-night
    recording sessions after shows on the current Walkers tour.

(Page 14)OUR MAN IN AMERICA DEREK TAYLOR [smoking a fag]
    ‘Hollywood, Tuesday’
    POURING priceless talent and vast money into a joyous whirlpool of melody and harmony, many of the
    greatest names in contemporary music have joined together to launch the 3-day
    MONTEREY
    INTERNATIONAL POP FESTIVAL
    in June.
    The Festival will be a non-profit corporation which will ensure that all the money made out of the event
    will be devoted to a form of “Pop Foundation" for the betterment of youth—the generation whose pocket-
    money and enthusiasm have brought popular music to a state of prosperous maturity.

The Mamas and Papas and their producer Lou Adler, Simon and Garfunkel, Johnny Rivers have
    already pledged to perform at the festival without fee.

In addition, they have placed their names on a committee and they have invested a total of $40,000 to
    give the Festival working capital.

Other artists performing at the Festival will be invited to invest and assist on the committee.
    From Denver, Colorado, Paul McCartney the Beatle telephoned the Festival offices on Sunset Strip and
    agreed to be a committee member. Terry Melcher, producer for Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Gentle
    Soul, and one of the creative brains behind the early musical direction of the Byrds, is another committee
    member.

The festival will, unquestionably, be the first of its type in the history of contemporary music.
    The aim of the Steering Committee (at present comprising Lou Adler, John Phillips, Paul Simon and Johnny
    Rivers) is to attract the finest internationally established young entertainers in the 1967 pop genre and also
    to showcase little-known performers who show unique promise.

The Festival opens with a concert on Friday, June 16, in the splendid 7,000 seat open-air amphitheatre [NOT
    an ‘amphitheatre!]
    in the Monterey Fairgrounds on the edge of the Pacific.
    The following day there will be two concerts—one in the afternoon and one in the evening—and on Sunday,
    Ravi Shankar, peerless exponent of the sitar, will perform in the afternoon.

The Festival will close on Sunday night with a concert comprising performers whose collective commercial
    price no promoter could afford to pay.

The organisers are drawing up plans for seminars—to explain copyright laws, to elaborate on the
    techniques, rewards, intricacies of song-writing, to guide young people on the potential dangers and delights
    of a career in music. Workshops will be set up for specialised instruction in instrumental skills and booths
    scattered around the fairgrounds will offer youth-and-fun-oriented goodies for sale at give-away prices.

Performers to be invited for the Festival include the Beach Boys [backed out], Donovan [couldn’t go], the
    Four Tops[declined], Martha and the Vandellas [declined], the Byrds, the Who, the Association, the
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
    [didn’t happen], the Young Rascals [didn’t happen], and Jefferson Airplane.
    Because of the status of the Festival and its charitable intent, it is anticipated that most performers invited to
    attend WILL attend
    [at least 10 didn’t attend, inc. Capt. Beefheart, Dionne Warwick etc.].
    The idea of an international pop festival was conceived by Alan Pariser, who had seen the
    success of pop-interaction at an all-star concert he produced.

He took his idea to Ben Shapiro, who had been involved in organising other festivals, notably the Monterey
    Jazz and Folk events.

Together, Shapiro as director and Pariser as production supervisor formed the Monterey
    International Pop Festival 1967
    , opened offices in Hollywood, secured investment, hired staff, put up a
    billboard and began to approach performers.

John Phillips of the Mamas and Papas, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel were spoken to early in the game. So
    too was Lou Adler, one of the founders of Dunhill Records, and Johnny Rivers.

NEW APPROACH
    In long, detailed meetings, Adler, Garfunkel, Pariser, Phillips, Rivers, Shapiro and Simon decided on a new
    approach to the Festival. In a huge act of benevolence the Mamas and Papas and Simon and Garfunkel
    offered to work for nothing, to form a lay committee and to invest money. Adler and Johnny Rivers also
    agreed immediately. Pariser and Shapiro were delighted at the attitude of performers eager and willing to
    make this ideal come true.

The zest in Shapiro’s Festival offices was multiplied, and the response from all segments of the industry is
    already overwhelming.

(Page 16) ‘DEE TIME at tea time: now it’s KNOCKING time’
    This week pirate refugee Simon Dee finds himself the talking point of Pop with the launching of his own twice-
    weekly TV show. . .

. . .He did however get off to a good start by having a galaxy of star names to keep the show
    swinging. People like Dusty, Cat,
    Jimi Hendrix, Lance Percival and the incomparable Warren
    Mitchell. . .

Thanks

UK
    MELODY MAKER (cover) [Banner text at bottom on red background]
    JIMI HENDRIX: I can’t sing!—P.3
    (Page 2)Melody Maker Pop 30
    wk
    03-15-10. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix, Track
    -----------------------------------------------------
    The RAVER’S weekly tonic
    HUGE U.S, FREAK-OUT HEADING OUR WAY
    FULL scale American freak out may hit Britain when International Times, the British "under
    ground newspaper" hold their "14-hour Technicolour Dream" in London at the end of the month.
    Frank Zappe and the Mothers Of Invention may be holidaying here during the free speech rave, and
    will be invited, as well as U.S. pop art film maker Andy "Exploding Plastic Inevitable" Warhol, It is
    rumoured that exploding Quintin Hogg balloons will be used to demonstrate greetings to the
    American allies.

. . .Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell of the Experience mobbed in Leeds and Liverpool, while
    Jimi Hendrix cut his foot on a broken fuzz-box . . .
    CARTONS
    . . .Does Hendrix nix vocal trix? . . .
    (Page 3) [large B&W photo of Jimi’s face] WHO SAYS JIMI HENDRIX CAN'T SING? (HE DOES!)’
    by Chris Welch

Jimi Hendrix can't sing! "Oo sez so?" outraged Hendrix fans will demand, at this startling statement.
    But before Melody Maker readers who dig the sounds of "
    Purple Haze," "Hey Joe" and enjoy the
    stage act of
    Jimi, Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell reach for their red ink ballpoints and search
    frantically for the address of Mailbag, it should be understood the statement comes from—
    Jimi
    Hendrix
    Jimi, who came to Britain from America last year under the aegis of ex-Animal Chas Chandler, who is
    now his manager, brought tremendous excitement to the group world with a hard-hitting sound with
    its roots in blues and
    Bob Dylan laced with freak-out showmanship.
    The music is loud, deafening . . . but it has a lot of soul and invention, the terminology of the hippy,
    it's valid.

Jimi is a happy, uncomplicated person, who gets his kicks from playing and has the American affinity
    for showmanship which Britishers find hard to adopt naturally, or even understand.

If Eric Clapton appeared on a pop show biting a flaming guitar with his teeth, he would be regarded
    as a traitor by thousands of dedicated fans. But says
    Jimi: "I regard myself as a guitarist and
    entertainer,"
    and that doesn't stop him from creating something original and remaining true his
    musical beliefs.

I met Jimi at his bright and airy apartment at the top of a modern block near Marble Arch. He was
    listening excitedly to acetates of tracks from his forthcoming LP.

Burnt-out
    He smoked endless cigarettes and crouched on a low stool dressed in flowery, violently coloured shirt
    and trousers in a sparsely furnished room. The screen of a TV set was covered in soot and hadn't been
    used for weeks. The hi-fi equipment was bright and new and in constant use.

"I can't read a note of music," grinned Jimi, fingering the burnt-out wreck of his guitar which burst
    into flames on the opening night of his tour with the Walker Brothers.

How was the tour going? "The bosses of the tour are giving us hell," he revealed pleasantly.
    "The organisers don't give us a chance to tune up before we go on stage. They say we are
    obscene and vulgar, but we play our act as we have always played it everywhere else, and
    there have never been complaints before.

"We refuse to change our act, and the result is my amplifier sometimes gets cut off at the
    funniest times.

"I wonder why? But I don't let them hang me up. I play to the people and I don't think our
    actions are obscene. We just get excited by the music, and carried away.

“The thing that surprises me about the tour is the Walker Brothers. I expect them to sing all
    pretty songs, but they have a good variety of numbers. Cat Stevens is great too, and Engelbert
    Humperdinck is very, very professional. He knows exactly what he is doing.

“It’s really funny playing for this tour. I don't know if it's like it on all tours but just before I
    go on I turn round and find a guitar string is broken, or I find my guitar is all out of tune after
    I just tuned it. I kinda don't know what to say about that. They just don't give a damn about us.
    But they are not getting rid of us unless we are officially thrown off the tour."

Where did Jimi find his first hit number—"Hey Joe"—and had he heard the many other versions?
    "'Hey Joe' is a traditional song and it's about 100 years old [not! It’s an original song by Billy
    Roberts. Jimi
    /management trying the Tim Rose royalty scam Ed.]. Lots of people have done
    different arrangements of it, and
    Timmy Rose was the first to do it slowly. I like it played slowly.
    There are probably 1,000 versions of it fast by the Byrds, Standelles,
    Love and others."
    The style of the Experience seems very well formed. Was it exported from New York?
    "No, the style was formed here in England. When I first came over I was having little plays
    together with
    Mitch and Noel. Noel can play really fast bass, and Mitch—well he is one of the
    best drummers. He can do anything."

Who were Jimi's influences? "Well, I like a lot of guitar players, but I don't copy. I like Eric Clapton
    and some of the things
    Jeff Beck does and that cat Vic Briggs. I was really surprised to find so
    many blues guitar players here. They mostly play the same style but you can sure tell the
    differences.
    Pete Townshend is very different. He's ridiculous."
    Where is Jimi happiest playing? "I like playing clubs, but I don't want to play them for the rest of my
    life. We are satisfied with what we are doing at the moment, because it's playing the way we feel.
    I just want to make the music acceptable. It's free form.

"I just wish I could sing really nice, but I know I can't sing. I just feel the words out. I just try all
    right to hit a pretty note, but it's hard. I’m more of an entertainer and performer than a singer."

(Page 11) ‘The Curse Of The Revived 45’ [As Jimi was about to find out, never mind a ‘revived’
    ex-manager!’]

IF you see a pop star walking about with a brought-down expression even though he has a record in the Top
    30, chances are he'll be suffering from a bad case of Re-issue Depression or the Curse of the Revived 45.

This dreaded pop disease hits successful artists who have had a big hit. Its cause is quite simply the lightning
    re-issue of old, often inferior single material by a former record company.

Vince Hill is the latest in a long line of stars to be affected by it. Last week he complained that on the
    strength of "Edelweiss” his former record company Pye were rushing out a single re-recorded for them.

The record, “ If You Knew” was made three or four years ago and released last week, although Pye say they
    have never claimed it was intended to be Vince's next single.

But it does raise an important point: are record companies morally justified in re-relesning old materiel by
    artists no longer contracted to them because they have achieved success with another label?

The list of artists who have been subjected to the ordeal of the Revived 45 is formidable.
    Since the Monkees eruption companies have rushed singles by Mickey Dolenz and Davy Jones onto the
    market.

It happened to the Who when they switched labels recently; Manfred Mann suffered when they moved to
    Fontana from EMI. Georgie Fame switched to CBS, yet EMI continued to release tracks and there were several
    records out by Ike and Tina Turner after “River Deep, Mountain High”—released on London—was a smash

And, of course, the Beatles were victims when old tracks recorded during their obscurity were released. They
    were not even the principal artists, merely a backing group for singer Tony Sheridan

Obviously an artist who in affected in this way often feels bitter towards his former label, though there is
    nothing he can legally do to prevent the release of the discs.

But is it morally right to put dated material on the market? For this material could work against follow-up
    records newly-recorded.

The MM put this question to the record companies and to artists in the pop field. Here are their answers.
    WHAT THE STARS SAY
    • TOM JONES: “This can be very distressing. I know—it's happened to me. EMI issued a couple of my old
    recordings after my first success on Decca but, fortunately, they weren't hits.

“Obviously an artist is very worried and concerned when this happens because it could damage his career.
    After all, the public isn't very concerned with labels and a record issued after a big hit looks like a follow-up
    wherever it comes from.

“I know it can be said that business is business and that the old record company spent money making the
    records, but why didn't they issue them at the time they were made if they were good enough to release?”

GEORGIE FAME: "I don't think it’s morally right for the companies to do this really. Rather than damaging an
    artist, it confuses the public.

" When we left EMI for CBS, our situation was slightly different—we recorded independently so the material
    they had was all right. It had been approved by us,

"But if this hadn’t been the case, I think I'd have been heartbroken. The companies say they spend money on
    an artist but the artist tries his best for the company, too. When the contract has run out. the companies
    should do it in a gentlemanly way by discussing the release with the artist first.”

MANFRED MANN: “I think it would be unfair to say that it's wrong of the record companies to do this. It's
    bad for the artist, but it's good for the company. They have the legal—and probably the moral right to do this,
    although it's unfortunate on the person who made the record when it happens

“I wish there was some way of putting something on the record label making it clear that it isn't the latest
    single by that artist.

“It happened when we moved to Fontana from EMI. I was a bit brought down, but I could see why the
    company did it.”

CHRIS FARLOWE: "This happened to me. When 'Out Of Time’ was a hit, EMI released 'Just A Dream.'
    "I think it’s a bit of a dirty stroke on the company's part because too many records on the market at one
    time could make the public tired of an artist"

TONY BARROW (Spokesman for the Beatles and Nems); "Re-issue of vintage recordings can be valuable in
    certain circumstances. For instance, we agreed on to a current series of low-priced albums on Music For
    Pleasure made up of material recorded over four years by Cliff Bennett, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J.
    Kramer and Sounds Inc,

“The only instances of unauthorised re-issues involving our artists concerned some old Hamburg recordings
    by the Beatles, made when they acted as a session backing group. They were not in any way representative
    of Beatles work.

“But it’s obvious that the public realised this because I gather they didn't approach anywhere near normal
    Beatles sales figures."

WHAT THE COMPANIES SAY
    TONY HALL ([UK] Decca): "I deplore this sort of thing but regrettably it's become established record
    practice these days.

“Companies sometimes spend vast amounts of money on an artist without getting a hit. This is a way of
    getting some of that money back. Decca haven’t done this with a single for a very long time and I can't
    think of any instance in the immediate future when it’s likely to happen.”
    [about ten minutes later they
    re-released “How Would You Feel”, lol. Ed.]

PYE RECORDS: “When an artist signs a contract with a record company, they fully understand that the
    company retains the tapes and are quite at liberty to release them at any time

“ A company spends a lot of money on an artist [or not! Ed.] and if there is a chance of getting some of this
    money back, the company owes it to their shareholders to do so. Nobody hoodwinks the artist — they know
    the position before they sign the contract. And they are paid royalties on any sales, even after they have left
    the company.

“The company has an absolute legal right to release records in this way.
    “In fact, we often get artists who have left Pye asking that their old tapes be used on our cheap LP series.
    These albums sell a lot of copies and they make a lot of money in royalties when this happens.”

PHILIPS: “This company would never release a record if it thought it would be detrimental to the artists
    career. However a record costs a lot of money to produce and this is a way to recoup some of that money,
    should the opportunity arise."

CBS RECORDS, “Any producer or company who has recorded an artist unsuccessfully is interested in
    recouping some of the losses if the artist leaves the company and has a hit with another one. If one can do it
    by this method, there's nothing wrong with it.

“In general though, our experience is that it rarely works. You sell a few thousand records and then sales fall
    off. The kids are pretty smart these days, after all."
    [As UK Decca (their singles didn’t sell) and Capitol found
    out, but they obviously made quite lot out of ‘Get That Feeling’ LP before sales plummeted, even with the
    high court costs; its follow-up LP, ‘Strange Things’ never sold, but Capitol did get Chalpin’s ‘free’ LP out of it.
    Ed.]

EMI: "As far as we are concerned, this is a commercial business. If it is a good proposition to release a disc
    like this, we will do it."

(Page 16) [B&W text box ad] SATURDAY SCENE
    CORN EXCHANGE CHELMSFORD
    SATURDAY, APRIL 15th
    KING GEORGE and the
    HARLEM KIDDIES

Thanks

UK
    RECORD MIRROR (page 4) Pop Shorts
    . . .Scandinavian group KING GEORGE & THE HARLEM KIDDIES begin British tour at the Locarno,
    Bristol on April 13
    th. The group, who describe their sound as ‘black beat’, have a female organist. . .
    (Page 11) Britain’s Top [20] R&B Singles
    9 Purple Haze 12 Jimi Hendrix Experience (Track 604001)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Britain’s Top 50[not credited to Record Retailer yet]
    11 Purple Haze 22 (4) Jimi Hendrix Experience (Track)

Thursday 13 April 1967

England (Manchester)
    DISTRICT COURIER (page?)
    Cinemas
    . . .
    ODEON Oxford Street Manchester Tel:CEN.5441
    Sunday, April 16thFor 6 Days
    THE DEADLY AFFAIR
    Technicolor—ADULTS ONLY (x)
    JAMES MASON MAXIMILIAN SCHELL
    HARRIET ANDERSSON HARRY ANDREWS
    and SIMONE SIGNORET
    Sun 4.30; 8.30 Weekdays 12-50; 4-45; 8-40
    also MICHAEL CONNORS DOROTHY PROVINE
    TERRY THOMAS
    KISS THE GIRLS AND MAKE THEM DIE
    Technicolor (a)
    Sun 2.30; 6.30 Weekdays 2-40; 6-35
    --------------------------------------------
    Sat. 6-00 and 8-30ON STAGE
    "THE WALKER BROS."

UK
    RECORD RETAILER (page13) Best Selling Specialist Singles: R&B
    9 - Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Experience Track 604001
    (page14) Britain’s Top 50
    wk
    11 (22) (4) Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Experience Track 604-001 [Pub.] Yameta, [Prod.] (Yameta)
    Radios: London (-), Caroline (19), 270 (-), Scotland (*), BBC Top Tunes (-)
    *Info unavailable that week

Friday 14 April 1967
    England
    BOLTON EVENING NEWS (page?) [B&W text ad]
    ODEON Bolton. Tel. 24096
    ON THE STAGE
    FRIDAY, APRIL 14th — Two performances 6.15 & 8.30
    Seats still available for both performances
    The Fabulous
    WALKER BROTHERS
    CAT STEVENS JIMI HENDRIX
    The Californians — Nick Jones The Quotations
    Special Guest Star
    ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK
    Seats Still Available For The 8.30 Show At 19/-, 7, 8 And 5/-
    There Are Seats Available At All Prices
    For The First House at 8.15 (15/-, 12/8, 11/-, 7/1, 1/-)
    Box Office Open 12 noon to 2.30 and 4 p.m. to 8 P.M.