Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: STUDIO'70 Revision A

Thanks

Re: STUDIO'70 Revision A

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    so the '70 over dub is on 'First Rays-Sessions' boot?
    So 'First Rays - The Sessions" has S724 as the version of Message to Love. According to Electric Gypsy this is the "complete unaltered and original version". Caesar Glebbeek thinks it is recorded 12/69 or 01/70. S724 is on the bootleg 'James Marshall: Midnight Lightning" [Marshall Records JMH/L32641 - Released 89 - LP]. So this version has been well-known for a long time.

What I noticed is that some versions are as long as this version, but they still have the guitar solo instead of "Well I am what I am thank God. Some people just don't understand. Find yourself first, and then you[?] too[?], he says: Find yourself first, don't you be no fool."

I think Jimi didn't like these verses, and replaced them with a guitar solo. S724 doesn't contain the guitar solo. The whole track seems unfinished to me. Jimi even starts to mumble at the end, unsure of his words.

The so-called 'Message To Love - Mixing Session [1]') of "Studio 70 revised 2005" has "Well I ..." which is immediately cut off, and then the guitar solo starts, really weird.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGero View Post
    So 'First Rays - The Sessions" has S724 as the version of Message to Love. According to Electric Gypsy this is the "complete unaltered and original version". Caesar Glebbeek thinks it is recorded 12/69 or 01/70. S724 is on the bootleg 'James Marshall: Midnight Lightning" [Marshall Records JMH/L32641 - Released 89 - LP]. So this version has been well-known for a long time.
    Ok...so the 'First Rays - Sessions' is the original master track 12/19/69 (Bob Cotto mix)...Hendrix did it in one take and all versions stem from it.
    EH officially released it on WCSB...the 8/22/70 (Hendrix Kramer mix)
    I was wondering what over dub Jimi did to it on 1/20/70(Bob Hughes mix)...perhaps this is when the solo appeared.
    then it got re-mixed again in '97 by Kramer for the Experience 'Purple' Box set...this si interesting because Kramer deleted the verse and put in the solo.
    so yeah.....the final version by Hendrix had envisioned is unknown...but it is indicated that Hendrix wanted it for his 'First Rays' LP.

I think Jimi didn't like these verses, and replaced them with a guitar solo. S724 doesn't contain the guitar solo. The whole track seems unfinished to me. Jimi even starts to mumble at the end, unsure of his words.
    Well.that's what I was wondering and why I asked in the first place about the First Rays Session you mentioned(I don't have that boot)
    I thought maybe you were indicating it may be from the 1/20/70 over dub sessions.

The so-called 'Message To Love - Mixing Session [1]') of "Studio 70 revised 2005" has "Well I ..." which is immediately cut off, and then the guitar solo starts, really weird.
    lol...yeah I've just heard that version for the first time while I was trying to track down this song....like some amateur editing going on there...
    I think that's the version that also has the solo going on longer and is even super imposed over the 2nd verse.
    all versions are basically 3:27....except one odd ball at 3:45.

Thanks

'First Rays - The sessions' is seeded here:
    http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...s-The-Sessions

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoctorGero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

'First Rays - The sessions' is seeded here:
    http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...s-The-Sessions
    Thanks for the link....I'm surprised there are active seeders for a 10 year old torrent.

Thanks

I think you are being cynical. There are no seeders! Perhaps I could just email message of love to you.

Thanks

I think you are being cynical. There are no seeders! Perhaps I could just email message of love to you.
    No I'm not....there were 2 seeders and I downloaded it in about 10mts.
    was checking to see if the collector's '70 version has them all.
    Only thing I' noticed right off is that the mono Dolly Dagger with different vocals is ...I can hear 'crackles' like from vinyl
    whereas the Sessions version doesn't have.

Thanks

Iīm seeding Studio70 cause have DHT enabled, with some leechers.. enabled both in the torrent client options and in the torrent itself.
    Old torrents in this site had DHT enabled, after came "private" ones..
    cheers!

Thanks

That's awesome! I am glad you can all hear the original Message to Love from Crash Landing. By the way, I own the Kopy Kat version of First Rays - The sessions, not the whoopy Cat version. They are said to be identical.

Thanks

That's awesome! I am glad you can all hear the original Message to Love from Crash Landing.
    Yeah, but it is also officially released on the 'Purple' box set.....
    as of the Aug '70 Hendrix/Kramer mixing session..apparently Jimi left in the verse and didn't include the guitar solo...
    it seems that version with the solo first 'officially' appeared on Douglas' Crash Landing...
    then in '97 Kramer mixed it for the 'Purple' box' set....as to why Kramer chose the solo over the Hendrix/Kramer mix is unknown.
    but both versions have been officially released...the other version(with out solo) is on West Coast Seattle Boy.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    but both versions have been officially released...the other version(with out solo) is on West Coast Seattle Boy.
    I didn't realise that! These versions are exactly the same (wcsb vs First Rays - The Sessions)

Thanks

I can't see the video. It is blocked in my country. My impression is that there is no piece cut out of the tape or no section edited out. Jimi simply replaced some verses with the guitar solo.

Thanks

I'm listening to the complete set. I think I'm hearing digital errors in track 7 of disc 2 (part 2), the MLK jam. It happens during the last two minutes or so. It goes tsjk-tsjk-tsjk-tsjk. I think it is sourced from a corrupted cdr.

Thanks

Track 4 of disc 4 (Midnight Lightning) is slightly incomplete. Around 25 seconds into the track there is a little skip. I think it is not a digital glitch.

Thanks

Track 2 of disc 5 (part 1) has some suspicious clicks. I suspect digital errors. The track is called Untitled Instrumentals 6-15-70.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 922 Posts

All of this material has been "superseded" by a more recent 1970 collection that is circulating in collectors land.
    I'd suggest looking for that as opposed to dissecting the errors with this selection!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    All of this material has been "superseded" by a more recent 1970 collection that is circulating in collectors land.
    I'd suggest looking for that as opposed to dissecting the errors with this selection!
    Suspicious skips in disc 6 track 2 (Drifterís Escape - With Echo 6-17-70).

I missed the boat on the newer collection. Donít know where to find that one.

Thanks

Huge skips in the Astro Man Jam (Disc 6 track 6), first notable around 2:40. Unmistakably sourced from a faulty cd(-r).

Thanks

Disc 6 track 12 (Freedom - take 6 alternate mix 6-25-70) has digital errors (clicks and skips), likely copied from faulty cd(-r).
    Disc 7 is entirely faulty, I hear clicks and skips all over. This IS a faulty cd(-r)
    Disc 9 track 9 (Belly Button Window - composite 8-22-70) has digital errors, likely copied from faulty cd(-r).
    Disc 11 track 6 (Dance on the Desert - Acoustic Medley 2-01-70) has digital errors, likely copied from faulty cd(-r)

Thanks

Just checked Disc 6 track 12 (Freedom alt mix) which is obviously sourced from vinyl.
    Therefore some clicks and pops as well as other imperfections. No skips (on my copy).

Disc 7 - on my copy: OK.

Disc 9 track 9 (Belly Button Window - composite 8-22-70):
    Yes, you hear some clicks but I wouldn't bet they are digital clicks from faulty CDR.
    I checked the track in Adobe Audition and all the clicks are easily reparable.
    However, the track is a composite of two outtakes, you can clearly hear a cklick
    at the end when Jimi says something like ''...It's good enough for it...'' which is from
    the microphone. The other click that I can identify as digital error is at the place of
    merging two takes to form this composite. The rest, I wouldn't bet that they are
    clicks from faulty CDR.

Disc 11 track 6 (Dance on the Desert - Acoustic Medley 2-01-70):
    Yes, contains some digital clicks. You can get the clean copy of this track from
    ''Healing Power'' (ATM 072-073 - the last track on disc 2). What is especially interesting
    is that Healing Power is the ONLY ATM disc that circulates from the beginning
    with many digital errors (not on this track). It seems that there is no clean copy in
    circulation. There is an alternate and unofficial bonus disc in circulation that
    offers 'repaired and EQ-d' version, but IMHO it made things sound worse, not better.

And finally, the Astro Man Jam. Yes, contains digital clicks around 2.40 and at 3.35,
    4,16, 4.30, 5,25, 8.22, 8.44, 9.18 etc...
    Clean copy is widely available.
    Last edited by Makkinen; 06-17-18 at 10:47 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Makkinen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Which tracks are these new tracks actually?
    The discs are numbered differently than the notes state.
    Disc 1 track 3 is not Izabella, Disc 6 tracks 2/7 are not Drifter's Escape. I have the 2005 version and only need the new tracks...

> Replacement Tracks (as of april 2006):
    > (Additional material and Upgrade & Replacement tracks that have become available since the relese of this set in 2003.)
    > Disc 1: Upgrade & Replacement tracks: "Izabella" ( ); track 3 on disc
    > Disc 4: Upgrade & Replacement tracks: Jams with Mitch (JA4); track 2 on disc
    > Disc 6: Upgrade & Replacement tracks: "Drifter's Escape" [3 guitar mix]; track 2 on disc / "Drifter's Escape" [single guitar mix]; track 7 on disc (New track)

Thanks!