View Poll Results: Anybody up for a road trip to Seattle Washington to celebrate our hero, Jimi Hendrix?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 76.19%
  • No

5 23.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celebrating the life and legacy of Mr. James Marshall Hendrix

Thanks

Re: Celebrating the life and legacy of Mr. James Marshall Hendrix

hmmmm Im surprised-- thought there would be more interest and excitment in getting together on a Jimi pilgrimage. Come on (punn intended)-- it'll be fun!

Thanks

Def up for going, but.. Excluding plane tickets, how much do you think this will cost? Being a Brit, i dont know the cost of living, accomodation, transport etc over there. Also we'll need someone over the pond to organise all that.. Who's up for that? Would everyone hire a car each or just hire a big bus for everyone? That would be cheaper... How long would it be for anyhow? A week? 2? Lots of questions... I guess we wont know what it'll all cost until we've answered those questions though. But a rough figure would be good.
    Last edited by backfromthestorm; 08-26-10 at 06:54 AM.

Thanks

I would Love to go ,But unfortunately, it aint gonna happen, Shit I cant even afford to go to London to see His House, But Trust Me, I`ll be there in Spirit An`I`ll look forward to a new Thread under Photos called "Our Trip To Seattle"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 639 Posts

oh i'm Definately interested, make it a 3 day weekend or something cheap hotels or even camping, i was in Spokane when i was 16 barely remember it but just to meet all the heavy collectors, mods, etc and see EH maybe meet Janie, i wrote her a letter once and actually got a reply, but plan it, it's a great idea

Thanks

I have lots of family in Washington, I'd love to be a part of this!!!

Erik Otis

Thanks

I'd love to do that if I can afford it when the time comes.
    I live in Maryland right now. This was me at age 17:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    I'd love to do that if I can afford it when the time comes.
    I live in Maryland right now. This was me at age 17
    what year is the photo? is that the gravemarker that was stolen?
    *** WATCH OUT FOR YOUR EARS !***

“We don’t want to be classed in any category.” -Jimi Hendrix

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilovejimi View Post
    hmmmm Im surprised-- thought there would be more interest and excitment in getting together on a Jimi pilgrimage. Come on (punn intended)-- it'll be fun!
    it is a nice Idea but Seattle is very far away for just 3-5 days vacation, that does not say I'm not interested, I'm, but I think London as a lot more to Hendrix than Seattle.. the places he played, his houses, the streets where he used to hang out, where he died, hyde park and all...
    My Hendrix inspierd instrumental song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqIzd7s_b2Y

" But as far as I know, they may even try to wrap me up in cellophane and try and sell me
    Brothers help me, and dont worry about lookin at the score "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by univibs View Post
    it is a nice Idea but Seattle is very far away for just 3-5 days vacation, that does not say I'm not interested,
    many other interesting places in the USA to visit, the Seattle thing could just be one stop on your itinerary
    Quote Originally Posted by univibs View Post
    I'm, but I think London as a lot more to Hendrix than Seattle.. the places he played, his houses, the streets where he used to hang out, where he died, hyde park and all...
    ... and New York more than London (would be my alternate choice, tho London is a good tertiary choice).

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

Thanks

"gravemarker that was stolen"
    I was at Hendrix' first gravesite. That marker got stolen? I did not know that. and thank you for the Pm earlier.

Thanks

a usa tour and a london trip/not all at once, but sure, i'm in for London pt2(i was there in 85) i saw the marque club,albert hall,samakrand, etc would be a great time with many of us

Thanks

I'd be up for a return trip to London.

Thanks

Greetings all. Great idea if it can be arranged. I actually did the pilgimage to Seattle 2 years ago on the 27th of November which coincided with America's Thanksgiving day. I flew to Tacoma airport on Virgin airways. (approx 12 hours from London Heathrow) On arrival I caught a bus into Seattle (very easy and frequent). I caught a 2nd bus to get to my hotel
    http://www.seattlepacifichotel.com/
    and was pretty much dropped outside. The hotel was right next to the EMP and Space needle so locationwise it was spot on. No frills, but Cheap 'n' cheerful! My first walk was to the bronze statue which is sited outside a record store, where I managed to get a photo took from a passer by. I then walked around Seattle which is surprisingly very walker friendly trying to track down the Hendrix mural that was supposed to be on the side of the music store near the fish market where Jimi bought his first guitar. Sadly it was painted over and is now a liquor store. As the 27th was a public holiday getting to Jimi's memorial site in Renton was surprisingly easy and cheap (approx 40 mins from uptown Seattle) getting 2 buses to reach the crem. Finding the bus route was a piece of cake. Just visit the bus terminal where there is freephone service where you can ask an operator where you want to get to and at what time, then just pick up the relevant bus timetable out of the rack. The 2nd bus drops you right outside the memorial site and Jimi's marble structure is visible from the road. On arrival at the memorial I was greeted by 3 fans who shared some Jimi 66th birthday cake one lady had baked! This lady turned out to be a local and knew Leon quite well. She also took me on a personal Hendrix tour taking in Jimi's mom's headstone which she played a major part in getting made, and is positioned very close to Jimi's. Unfortunately I couldn't sign the visitors book as the crem office was closed for the holidays. However, directly across the road was Jimi's trailer park house which was still there but had a fence around it. This lady offered me some American hospitality for Thanksgiving and showed me some of the Lucille headstone unveiling pics she had back at her house aswell as giving me a souvenir order of service
    booklet! She also had some of the withdrawn Hendrix vodka items. Plus after dinner she dropped me back to my Hotel! The next day was the EMP visit which is amazing and also check out the Sci-fi hall next to it as I'm sure Jimi would've approved. If you're feeling adventurous I caught the Amtrak overnight train down to California (about £75 but it varies) and check out Monterey as you can just walk in to the site where it all went on, and like I did, just clamber on stage and stand on the very spot where
    Jimi performed! Go for it folks, it's well worth the experience!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chez_when View Post
    Greetings all. Great idea if it can be arranged. I actually did the pilgimage to Seattle 2 years ago on the 27th of November which coincided with America's Thanksgiving day. I flew to Tacoma airport on Virgin airways. (approx 12 hours from London Heathrow) On arrival I caught a bus into Seattle (very easy and frequent). I caught a 2nd bus to get to my hotel
    http://www.seattlepacifichotel.com/
    and was pretty much dropped outside. The hotel was right next to the EMP and Space needle so locationwise it was spot on. No frills, but Cheap 'n' cheerful! My first walk was to the bronze statue which is sited outside a record store, where I managed to get a photo took from a passer by. I then walked around Seattle which is surprisingly very walker friendly trying to track down the Hendrix mural that was supposed to be on the side of the music store near the fish market where Jimi bought his first guitar. Sadly it was painted over and is now a liquor store. As the 27th was a public holiday getting to Jimi's memorial site in Renton was surprisingly easy and cheap (approx 40 mins from uptown Seattle) getting 2 buses to reach the crem. Finding the bus route was a piece of cake. Just visit the bus terminal where there is freephone service where you can ask an operator where you want to get to and at what time, then just pick up the relevant bus timetable out of the rack. The 2nd bus drops you right outside the memorial site and Jimi's marble structure is visible from the road. On arrival at the memorial I was greeted by 3 fans who shared some Jimi 66th birthday cake one lady had baked! This lady turned out to be a local and knew Leon quite well. She also took me on a personal Hendrix tour taking in Jimi's mom's headstone which she played a major part in getting made, and is positioned very close to Jimi's. Unfortunately I couldn't sign the visitors book as the crem office was closed for the holidays. However, directly across the road was Jimi's trailer park house which was still there but had a fence around it. This lady offered me some American hospitality for Thanksgiving and showed me some of the Lucille headstone unveiling pics she had back at her house aswell as giving me a souvenir order of service
    booklet! She also had some of the withdrawn Hendrix vodka items. Plus after dinner she dropped me back to my Hotel! The next day was the EMP visit which is amazing and also check out the Sci-fi hall next to it as I'm sure Jimi would've approved. If you're feeling adventurous I caught the Amtrak overnight train down to California (about £75 but it varies) and check out Monterey as you can just walk in to the site where it all went on, and like I did, just clamber on stage and stand on the very spot where
    Jimi performed! Go for it folks, it's well worth the experience!
    it seems like it was very cold weather out there but no rain, you've been lucky.
    I visited Seattle in 1999 and went to the original spot before they remove his resting site. I was very exited .
    I also visited where was the King county Hospital to see where he was born.
    do you have more photos from Monterey ? beautiful pics, I see that they removed the stage or is it behind you ?
    are they going to demolish the site ?

" But as far as I know, they may even try to wrap me up in cellophane and try and sell me

Thanks

Cheers Univibs. Thanks for your comments. Yep, I was pretty lucky with the weather, but going from cold Seattle to bright Californian sunshine was more than welcome! Monterey was amazing, as it looked and smelt untouched from the 60's! It was totally deserted the day we walked in and we just took pure joy from strolling onto and around the stage. It reminded me a bit of Ben Hur ...the chariot race scene and seemed smaller than when you view it on screen. Enjoy the added pics.

Thanks

Amazing ! this is the place where Rock&Roll was born 18/6/67
    great pics, thanks very much !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chez_when View Post
    ... Monterey was amazing, as it looked and smelt untouched from the 60's! It was totally deserted ...
    lived there for a couple of years in the late '90's. yep, quiet, sleepy location and environs (except when that dreaded golf tournament takes place). thnx 4 the pix!

Thanks

thanks-i loved the pic's very nice to see them

Thanks

This is a real good idea, only nearly 3 years to go

Thanks

This would be great, count me in!