Page 1 of 20 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Albert Hall EH release

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

Albert Hall EH release

Hi in the recent Guitar world magazine April 2010 30 years anniversary issue
    HALL PASS.Jimi Hendrix's 1969 Albert Hall performances get the green light for CD,DVD,and theatrical release
    Of all the upcomming JH releases under EH's new pact with Sony Music, the one that John McDermott call's "perhaps the most significant project in the near term" will be the DVD and CD release of Hendrix's historic 1969 performance at London's Royal Albert Hall. The film will also be issued as a theatrical release, just as concert film's were in the days of classic rock.
    McDermott say's "we have spent a number of years restoring the vast archive of color,16mm(film)footage of Jimi's two Feb.1969 performances at the Albert Hall, plusa deep archive of off stage and rehersal footage. this has been a massive undertaking,but the Feb. 24 performance has long been recognised as one of Jimi's finest ever"
    what makes the film so special is that the Albert Hall dates were planned with cinematography in mind, unlike Hendrix's performances at Woodstock and the IOW festival. At Albert Hall, McDermott say's,"Jimi took care to refine the arrangements and set sound levels.WE even have footage of him reviewing sound play-backs that afternoon beneath the Royal Albert Hall stage.He took special care to his stage repertoire before performing it on a stage lit for filming. The result looks much better than other filmed concert's from the sixties."
    In all, McDermott pronounces the forthcomming movie/DVD/CD "wonderfull stuff. Fans will appreciate the insight it provides into Jimi's remarkable skill as a guitarist and performer, not to mention some superb playing by Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding."_Alan Di Perna

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zombywoof57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Albert Hall EH release

Thanks for the info. Lets hope it really happens as I am very disillusioned with the whole record industry at the moment.

The fans are not considered, just how to get the most money, such as the so called deluxe editions of AYE, Axis and ELL.

Thanks

Believe me i know im as frustrated as most of us are but it was in Guitar world mag. so lets keep our fingers crossed

Thanks

We are still being duped! This title should have been relaeased a year ago? Notice how everytime the supposed release is going to happen there is never a date associated with it? I still blame Goldstein for holding it up. IMHO, he's always been the problem since he made the project happen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharpstat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 856 Posts

RAH release ............................ remember what I already said?
    Johan, your gonna owe me an MP3 :-)

Thanks

if this concert ever see's the light of day i will eat a shit sandwich. then ask for seconds. i just refuse to believe it. it feels like we jimi fans are in a doomsday cult regarding rah. a legion of loyal followers, fed endless streams of bull shit, just waiting for an almighty happening...and then diddley squat!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to weavzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weavzy View Post
    if this concert ever see's the light of day i will eat a shit sandwich. then ask for seconds. i just refuse to believe it. it feels like we jimi fans are in a doomsday cult regarding rah. a legion of loyal followers, fed endless streams of bull shit, just waiting for an almighty happening...and then diddley squat!
    Come now weavzy, a little positive thinking
    For what it's worth as we have the shows in one format or another already I'm looking forward to a prof' job (EK !!!) on this stuff.
    When it's released, thats WHEN and not IF, I'll MP3 the audio for you

Thanks

Will that be dingo shit, bird shit or human shit? Silver service?

Thanks

That'll be a Janie Turdburger Royale. With cheese.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

if this concert ever see's the light of day i will eat a shit sandwich. then ask for seconds.
    EH have spent an enourmous amount of money and effort in preparing the release of the RAH film, they're not going to just leave it in the vault.
    Do want anything else on that shit sandwich?

Thanks

Thanks

look, i want to be wrong. i pray i am wrong. if it happens, every one here can shit in two slices of bread (muliti grain please) and post it to me. hell, i've been eatin eh's bullshit for years, cant be that much different.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpstat View Post
    We are still being duped! This title should have been relaeased a year ago? Notice how everytime the supposed release is going to happen there is never a date associated with it? I still blame Goldstein for holding it up. IMHO, he's always been the problem since he made the project happen.
    KD: Hey Sharpstat.

Well, Goldstein shot and owns the film, he has every right
    to negotiate it's fair and profitible release. You may want to
    do a news search on Jimi Hendrix / Albert Hall / Charly Records
    as you can see that there was a recent high court ruling based on the London Sunday Times giving away for free, the audio CDs of the concert
    with their paper a few years back - despite the warnings / objections
    of both Goldstein and EH.

The joint financial settlement to both Jerry Goldstein and EH was
    what has held this audio and DVD release up.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,783 Times in 1,009 Posts

Still Raining, Still Dreaming!

And the same info in the Guitar World Magazine April 2010 was put out by EH
    in April 2009!

So its been almost 18 months since the "impending release" was announced.

Don't believe anything you read about it until you ACTUALLY HAVE IN IN YOUR HAND!
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 08-26-10 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks

<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="19%"></TD><TD align=middle>(1) EXPERIENCE HENDRIX LLC
    (A limited liability company formed under the laws of the State of Washington, United States of America)
    (2) THE LAST EXPERIENCE INC
    (A corporation formed under the laws of the State of California, United States of America)

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="19%">Claimants

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="19%"></TD><TD align=middle>- and -

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="19%"></TD></TR><TR><TD width="19%"></TD><TD align=middle>TIMES NEWSPAPERS LIMITED

</TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="19%">Defendant

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    This shows EH and Goldstein on the same side against Times Newspaper (they released the Charley release of Royal Albert Hall in their newspaper). I believe this legal wrangling, is what has delayed the official release. More info in the link I posted above. BTW the case has now ended and the ruling is in favor of EH and Goldstein.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morelmusic View Post
    Those who saw sample clips of the project informed me that the project is fantastic. Cleaned up footage and sound that will "blow away" all those who come anywhere near. The 18th has the single spotlight right on Jimi as you probably know. Lights on on the 24th. Not all of the tour footage was completely usable = no fun watching incomplete angles that may be may be too dark, out of focus or just plain wack. But why the delay? Maybe the scheduling conflicts? Maybe the UK mag situation? Goldstein and the endless legal technicalities that trailed along with him for years and years? Well, that's no secret. He didn't make it easy for EH, that's for sure. But don't worry...it is coming! All explanations why it took so long will eventually surface soon after however it won't even matter by then.

KD: Bingo ! The UK Mag (paper) issue ! The longer EH and Goldstein
    delayed their release, the more money they could claim they "lost" due
    to the London Sunday Times illegal release of the audio a few years ago.

Readers of the news blurbs on the settlement of the case a few weeks ago would know that both Goldstein and EH "only" received around 250,000 UK Lbs each, and were denied punitive damages. They thought they were going to get MILLIONS ! The London Sunday Times must be going after Charly Records UK now - notorious scumbags who claim to have held title and ownership of the recordings.

I wonder if they "got" their chain of title from Ed Chalpin representing
    the Estate of Mike Jeffery ?

Thanks

The Newspaper Lawsuit has been settled.

Sunday Times avoids punitive damages over unauthorised Hendrix CD

Pays interest on $5.8m
    By OUT-LAW.COM Get more from this author
    Posted in Law, 10th August 2010 08:12 GMT
    Free whitepaper The Reg Guide to Solutions for the Virtual Era

When an edition of the Sunday Times newspaper included a free CD of a Jimi Hendrix concert without the permission of Hendrix's estate it deprived the estate and two film-makers of potential profits for a year, the High Court has found.

The paper believed it had permission from the concert's rights holder to distribute the CD but the musician's estate said that it had not. The paper will not have to pay additional damages, though, because it had genuinely attempted to licence the music, the Court said.
    <script type="text/javascript">RegAd('mpu1', 'reg.public_sector.4159/law', 'pos=top;sz=336x280', VCs);</script> <script src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/reg.public_sector.4159/law;tile=2;dcove=d;cta=0;ctb=0;ctc=redesign;sc=1;c id=;test=;pid=106514;pf=0;kw=sunday%20times;kw=hen drix;kw=licensing;cp=0;vc=pub.law;pos=top;sz=336x2 80;ord=461442523?" type="text/javascript"></script>
    Two filmmakers had filmed the concert and, in partnership with Hendrix's estate, were planning to release it to cinemas then on CD and DVD. When the newspaper distributed the CD they put their plans on hold, the court heard. It ruled that they were entitled to interest on the sums they could have earned had the film been released.

Hendrix shot to fame in the late 1960s, playing with English musicians Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell in The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Though he played with other musicians after that group disbanded, the Experience played their last ever UK concert in 1969 at the Royal Albert Hall.

That concert was filmed by Gerald Goldstein and Steve Gold with Hendrix's permission, but when the singer and guitarist died in 1970 the project was put on hold.

In 2003 the two men agreed with Experience Hendrix, the company controlled by Hendrix's family that manages his estate, that they would edit and release the film and its soundtrack.
    The film was nearing completion in 2006 and its 'final mix' was scheduled for October of that year. But in September the Sunday Times published the edition carrying 10 tracks from that concert on its 'covermount' CD.

The filmmakers and Experience Hendrix wrote to the Sunday Times just days before publication but the newspaper said that it had licensed the recordings from a company called Charly. An earlier ruling found that the Charly licence was not valid.
    The process of putting the CDs in the polythene bags containing some of the Sunday Times supplements was too advanced to reverse by the time the Sunday Times had discovered that its licence may not be valid, the Court heard, and the CD was distributed with the newspaper.

The film project was put on hold and has still not resulted in a release.
    Experience Hendrix, Gold and Goldstein sued the Sunday Times, claiming that the distribution of the CD made it commercially impossible for them to release the film. They asked the court to award damages.

The High Court agreed, though it awarded far less in damages than had been claimed. To calculate the damages, Sir William Blackburne tried to work out how much the film would have made the filmmakers and Hendrix's estate.
    "I have come to the clear conclusion that it is quite impossible to forecast, so as to provide a reliable basis for computing losses, what the box-office takings are likely to be for a film, whether in the US or beyond, which has yet to be released, which, at the time of the trial, had not even been completed and which none of the independent experts giving evidence before me had seen in any shape or form," he said. "Projections of unit sales of DVDs and CDs (and box sets of each) calculated for the first five years following release seem to me to be just as much a matter of guesswork."

The judge looked at offers of advances from media companies Sony and Universal in distribution offers they made, and used these as the basis of a calculation of likely earnings. He found that the film was likely to earn its makers $5.8m in the first year of its release.

A similar sum to that was still available to be earned by the filmmakers and Experience Hendrix if they released the film, though, so all that happened was that the earning of that money was delayed by a year.

"With the possible exception of the market for recorded music (essentially CDs and CD box sets), there is no reason to think that the box-office and other takings from the Project would be any different merely because it had been delayed by 12 months," the judge said. The Court awarded them the US rate of interest plus one per cent, when calculated on the sum of $5.8m.

The judge said that this money would be "very substantially less than the millions that they were claiming. But their claims, even the relatively more modest one of [Hendrix's estate], seemed to me, standing back, to be altogether out of proportion to the true scale and effect on the Project of the covermount's appearance".

Sir William Blackburne said that the Sunday Times should not have to pay punitive damages because it had made a genuine attempt to license the recordings for its use.

"It is not correct to say that the defendant was indifferent, let alone recklessly indifferent, to whether it would engage in infringing activities," he said. "The defendant used the services of TCP, a leading, well established and reputable agency with whom it had an established relationship, to supply and obtain all necessary licences for promotional material such a covermount CDs."

"[The Sunday Times] cannot, in my judgment, be criticised for failing to investigate the provenance of the covermount material," said the judge. "Damages, if otherwise appropriate, should not be increased by an award of additional damages, whether by reference to flagrancy or 'moral prejudice' or any other such considerations."
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 08-26-10 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

[QUOTE=RobbieRadio;35898]The Newspaper Lawsuit has been settled.

Sunday Times avoids punitive damages over unauthorised Hendrix CD

Pays interest on $5.8m
    QUOTE]

KD: Nice seque................

Boy what a huge and nifty book it would be if someone was to
    gather all the legal wrangling on the JHE RAH shows over the years.

How many lawsuits and how much money spent on lawyers and
    record companies going back and forth ? Phew ! The Jimi
    Hendrix book to end ALL Jimi Hendrix books !

Thanks

hahaha i love all this talking about it and i can't wait for the release not to have anyone EAT SHIT but if that's what it takes i'm in too

Thanks

"The film was nearing completion in 2006 and its 'final mix' was scheduled for October of that year. But in September the Sunday Times published the edition carrying 10 tracks from that concert on its 'covermount' CD."

So the film and audio were 95 percent finished, and EH and Goldstein held up release of it for the last FOUR YEARS so they could SHAKE DOWN a newspaper for a couple million dollars.

SICK!

They didn't want to release it DURING the court case because, after it made $100 million, their argument that they had been "financially harmed" wouldn't hold up and ruin there chance for a nice fat settlement.

EH and Goldstein are totally consumed with greed!