Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Albert Hall EH release

Thanks

Re: Albert Hall EH release

I found a post from one of the moderators stating the following:

EH told me directly that those annoying additions ie Sparklers will not be used. ~~ ilovejimi

Its here, page 1. You have to scroll down a bit: http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...ng-the-dvd-cd)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    Strasbourg actually interests me the most (and the Speakeasy jam on the 24th) since nothing has ever circulated in any form of those.
    Here some information and a pic of that great original poster for the show (maybe you know already).
    Sorry, site is in French.
    https://pokaa.fr/2018/03/19/1969-qua...all-du-wacken/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oko64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    "I asked RAH about the time and they said the whole evening showing would take three hours from 7:30 to 10:30 PM with a 25 minute interval in the middle. The whole movie would then be 135 minutes. Hendrix' concert was from 20:55 to 22:40 or 105 minutes. We have a soundboard recording also lasting 105 minutes (naturally). If the RAH film lasts 135 minutes and shows the concert in its entirety (you never know with EH), that means an additional 30 minutes of footage! Perhaps this means including interviews but since they mentioned footage from other scenes, a good percentage should be new."

At some point I remember reading the new edit also includes footage from a Speakeasy Jam after the gig on the 24th. Now that would be cool. Also any of the earlier shows they filmed being in there would be be awesome. Plus we know there is offstage footage.
    I just checked. The event is listed as being 2 hrs 5 mins long, not 3 hours.

5:30pm Restaurants and bars open
    6:30pm Boxes open
    6:45pm Auditorium doors open
    7:30pm The Jimi Hendrix Experience: The Royal Albert Hall
    9:35pm Event ends

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tick...ix-experience/

So if there IS a 25 minute intermission, then the film would be 1 hr 40 minutes long (100 minutes).

The film ready for release in 2006 was said to be 116 minutes long. I'm sure this is the exact same film. Why cut anything out or mess with it?
    So I presume the intermission will only be 14 minutes long. That fits with the film being 116 minutes long (1hr 56 mins).

Then if we allow minus five minutes for the intro-title and end-credits, that means there is even less time for Jimi's full concert if that was 105 minutes.

EH have specifically stated that the film includes off-stage footage as well as the actual concert on the 24th of Feb:
    "The film ...also chronicles the hours leading up to the concert with the crew granted unprecedented access to Hendrix and his team throughout the day that preceded the performance, including backstage goings-on and a post-show reception".
    So... Even allowing for the film editing out tuning or other pauses during the concert, I guess this allows no time for this film showing either the Strasbourg or earlier RAH gig.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mysticbumwipe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhendrixfanatic View Post
    ...I know that when the bootleg was being re-edited that was mentioned , that the sparklers could not be removed from the masters.
    Yeah, OK. But that was referring to the 'masters' for bootlegged film.
    Whereas we are discussing what EH and Jerry Goldsteinhave done with the ORIGINAL film to work with, shot with MULTIPLE cameras, shooting from different positions and angles.
    So I feel sure your concern is unwarranted. :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysticbumwipe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 783 Posts

Asked them again, and got a very quick reply (thanks RAH!) saying that the website timing is correct (they didn't have the exact timing yet when I first contacted them), and that there will be no interval, meaning one movie of ca. 125 minutes. I hope that solves some mysteries.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    Asked them again, and got a very quick reply (thanks RAH!) saying that the website timing is correct (they didn't have the exact timing yet when I first contacted them), and that there will be no interval, meaning one movie of ca. 125 minutes. I hope that solves some mysteries.
    Thanks for following it up Ezyrider. Much appreciated.

Soooo, 125 minutes; minus 5 minutes credits, etc.; minus concert of 100 to 105 minutes leaves 15 to 20 minutes of footage of him in his Mayfair flat and backstage before the show, plus post-show reception and jam at the Speakeasy. :-)

Thanks

Fingers crossed: This is issued on dvd eventually along with a dvd of outtakes/raw footage.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

From a completist point of view, If they won't include one or two songs from the 18th (the dark footage excuse is weak) then I can't trust them to make an edit that is inclusive for everybody. I want to hear every note , d*mmit! (;

We need all the European tour snippets, complete 18th & 24th Concerts and most importantly, the sound checks.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo Kush For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    From a completist point of view, If they won't include one or two songs from the 18th (the dark footage excuse is weak) then I can't trust them to make an edit that is inclusive for everybody. I want to hear every note , d*mmit! (;

We need all the European tour snippets, complete 18th & 24th Concerts and most importantly, the sound checks.
    I hear ya. Like many in this forum, my dream would be to see a bluray boxset issued of every single piece of watchable footage that exists from the European tour. I would pay hundreds of dollars for something like that. But if they eventually release the 24th Feb show on bluray and included just a selection of songs from the 18th and the other European shows as an extra, then I'd be more than happy with that.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCoconut77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One ticket left - Row 17 of Arena if anyone wants it?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mindoctopus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not sold out yet ??!

YM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazid Manou View Post
    Not sold out yet ??!
    I wondered that so went to the RAH website and looked at available seats which gives you a simulated view of the screen from the seat. A number of the seats have a pretty crap view of the screen because of the angle.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pukaha For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Can't wait to hear the reviews!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Its like Christmas !!!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimijames For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's not the complete concert, Hear My Train, Sunshine Of Your Love and Bleeding Heart all missing.

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzlord For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok. So quick review! Janie and Goldstein introduced the film! All smiles. Goldstein put his arm around Janie and said that he was so happy to be there with her and alluded to the fact that this is not a one off!!
    On to the movie. It starts with a brief summery of Jimis life/ career up until that point. Included in that part was a bit of Spanish castle magic footage from the 18th! Albeit with a voice over here and there and some footage from a concert on the European tour. There was footage of Mitch being picked up from his flat. Mitch in the back of a limo being interviewed. He seems a bit stoned and mentions wishing they could drive by the schools letting out so he can see the school girls! (Dirty sod) Some footage of Noel stringing a bass.

The 1st full footage of the concert is Stone Free. The atmosphere was great in the Albert hall tonight. It wasnt sold out by a long shot but the love was in the house. Jimi was cheered for his solo and so was Mitch.

There was footage of Jimi listening to a rehearsal of bleeding heart with the sound engineers below stage. Also of Jimi getting ready for the show. Chatting to Noel and shaking his hand, and talking about Voodoo child. Embracing the kid that runs on the stage. The kid gives him a kiss on the cheek. Very sweet.
    There is no sunshine of your love or bleeding heart from the main show.
    There are no horrible effects over the film.
    Little wing, you cant really see the guitar when he plays the intro, as its from a side angle. Which is a bit of a shame.
    Red house is in there so is room full of mirrors.

Overall a very fascinating film. They obviously have a ton of footage at their disposal. Loved every moment of it!
    Last edited by Stratman80; 10-21-19 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks

Also there is some footage from the Brook st flat. The usual Hound Dog performance where Jimi fluffs the lyrics but also another version at the end where he does it again and gets the lyrics right. Kathy is there too.
    No Getting my heart back together in the main show.

There is a funny bit where a Royal Albert Hall official, tells off people for getting up to dance. The audience tonight booed that! Haha.

Thanks

Also forgot to mention that there is some brief footage of the Jam at
    The speakeasy at the end and Jimi sticking 2 fingers up at the camera crew telling them to Fuck Off! All with that classic Jimi smile and laugh!

Thanks

Stratman80 wrote a nice review. What else can I add ? I almost cried when they played "Stone Free" ! The venue was less than 50% people but the all response was great ! The new footage with Mitch and the Rolls were hilarious. We can understand they got quite a lot of unseen material. More footage of the young Charley Webber backstage. I just sent him a.message right after as I did to Ben "cool tie" Valkhoff, Caesar Glebbeek, Kathy and Eric Barrett. We can clearely see Caesar in the audience shooting almost the all show !! I must say I was really very excited after the movie..So many new footages ! This movie will definitely be very very positive for Jimi's legacy. People will understand why we consider him as the greatest.
    I've been a lot moved by what I saw last evening.

YM

Thanks

What can I add? Janie actually looked a little non-plussed when Jerry announced they were putting it out there to the world - maybe there is a lot to iron out still. It should also be said that Goldstein said that this was rough cut and rough mix of the sound - perhaps they should have announced that. At first I thought that splicing the backstage and pre/post-gig parts into the concert was disturbing but actually ti worked; I imagine on any release you'll have the option of the whole concert. I guess they must have tons of stuff but, like in the speakeasy parts, a lot of the time you can't hear what is being said as there are no lavalier mics and everyone has the music cranked up in the club/house/under-stage area. I thought it was fun to see how sexual Jimi was being with his tongue flicks and hip thrusts but not sure how that will go down in the 'MeToo' era. I wonder how many people in the audience last night were at the actual gig. I kept thinking of a friend of mine who went there as a teenager but couldn't see him and would probably not recognise him anyway - he died a couple of years back.

Felt a bit sad as Jimi obviously couldn't hear half of what was going on and wasn't happy with his guitar sound. He was getting microphonic feedback - for those of you who might not know, this is when you get an uncontrollable oscillation at a fixed frequency - sometimes caused by loose pickup wires, vibrating pickups, even guitar cables, and often set-off by a wah or an over-cranked fuzz-face; the germanium transistors int he latter were particularly sensitive to temperature. A lot of Jimis later concerts were marred by this sound - Isle of Wight is an example with added radio interference! As his guitar sound depended a lot on extreme CONTROLLABLE feedback it must have been an absolute pain for him when this was happening. The look on his face an apology after Little Wing say it all after he has just casually played, in my opinion, one of the most perfect and emotional recorded guitar and vocal performances in history - he just looks pissed off. I think the shaking of the head in the dressing room after the encore is a mixture of things - frustration with the 3-piece format, sound and equipment problems, sheer tiredness/adrenaline withdrawal and also the realisation that people only go totally crazy for him when he plays a throwaway song like Wild Thing and smashes his guitar - perhaps he had promised himself he wouldn't do the tricks that night? All supposition of course but that's my view. I was going to say it felt like you were there at the show at points but actually it is the other way around - at times it really felt like Jimi was there with us - especially quiet bits like in Red House where his voice rang out and you could hear it reverberate around the hall like it would have 50 years ago. Very moving. A last thing to add - we ended up with 4 tickets between the two of us - my daughter had managed to get second row seats. But when we got in there they were so ridiculously close to a high screen that we used the row 17 tickets we had unsuccessfully tried to sell and they were perfect!