Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE 1966-12-29 : "Top Of The Pops", DEFINITIVE VERSION !!

Thanks

JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE 1966-12-29 : "Top Of The Pops", DEFINITIVE VERSION !!

JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE
    1966-12-29 (Thursday): "Top Of The Pops", BBC Lime Grove Studios,
    Area C, Lime Grove, London W12, England, UK

Hey Joe live
    MORNING broadcast version ( in 2.2.1967)
    EVENING broadcast version

Goody Pitch-Corrected Merged Edition

# info: with The Breakaways on backing vocals
    # audio: original broadcast; 3 minutes, good quality (1)
    # audio: rebroadcast on 1967-02-02; 3 minutes, fair quality (1)

lineage: broadcast > reel to reel > wav > flac >

Goody's additional lineage:
    dBpoweramp (WAV) > Cool Edit Pro (amplified +8dB; Pitch Bender -1 Semitone) > Trader's Little Helper (FLAC, ffp)

01. Hey Joe (rebroadcast on 1967-02-02)

Here you have a brand new (so to say) uncirculated piece of very early Jimi Hendrix Experience history. On December 29th 1966, the band spent all day at the BBC Lime Grove Studios for their performance on Top of the Pos. They had a TV rehearsal at 9:30 in the morning and then waited all day for their live performance in the evening. This particular tape was recorded directly onto reel to reel from the re-broadcast on Feb. 2nd 1967. Surprisingly enough it seems to be an entirely different take than the one commonly circulating as "1966-12-29". Also featuring the Breakaways on background vocals, and having pretty much the same feel, we can be pretty sure of it having been recorded that same day. So the only guess is that it must be from the morning run-through rehearsal. Then again, also on this take, you hear an audience at the start, which again suggests it was NOT at the rehearsal at 9:30 in the morning,hmmmm....you see, all this will make the Hendrix nuts think...
    Maybe they did record two takes that evening, who knows.

Here is some more info from the guy who I got this from:

"A big thank you must go to Steve Rodham at Jimpress for passing this audio on to me. Jimpress No93 has a full three page review of this audio and includes some other useful info’ and photo / scans.
    This recording comes from Mike Hall and with help from Ad Tingle, so really all credit does go to them..
    This performance was recorded onto reel to reel from a broadcast of Top Of The Pops but the original recording date remains in doubt. Mike who kept some notes has it as being recorded to his R2R in Feb 67."

Enjoy!

brought to you by olvator 09/2010
    brought to you by LONGJAM :-) 09/2010
    text updated for this edition by goody 09/11/2010
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by longjam; 09-15-10 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 Times in 855 Posts

Re: JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE 1966-12-29 : "Top Of The Pops", DEFINITIVE VERSION !!

Not sure just how many times I need this Marco but look forward to hearing it speed corrected :-)
    Thank you

Thanks

Re: JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE 1966-12-29 : "Top Of The Pops", DEFINITIVE VERSION !!

HA HA HA!! yes i agree!!
    But teh sound will surprize you!!

ciao

mmmhh if this torrent will work!!
    :-(

Thanks

uffffh!
    it's seems my torrent dont work!!
    ( but the DIMEADOZEN version is working good!)
    i added a checksum in the directory
    we'll see what's happen now! !!
    Last edited by longjam; 09-15-10 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks

works fine
    <((((((((OO=00=OO((((((@~~~

Thanks

Will try again

Thanks

Looks like this is working.
    Again, thanks.

Thanks

Download is working fine. Every Upgrade in sound is verry welcome.
    So thanks Long Jam.

Thunderbaas.

Thanks

Here's my additional lineage for the Merged Take 02, which was NOT the same offset as the non-merged Track 01 - (I know - it was confusing to me too at first!) - (This lineage is included in the downloaded text, but I noticed it wasn't on this page, and I thought some of you might want some additional detail.)

Goody's additional lineage for Track 02:
    dBpoweramp (WAV) > Cool Edit Pro (Trim and EQ Track 01; Track 02 - Pitch Bender +26 cents; Merge tracks into single new track; fades added) > Trader's Little Helper (Flac Level 8, ffp)

There were 2 tracks from 2 sources. The first track was an intro, and it needed no correction. However, that source didn't sound the same as the source for Track 2, which contained the actual song. Fortunately, there was a tiny bit of overlap, and I could merge the 2 together. I did some additional EQ to Track 1 to have it sound a bit more in character with the music track, but you'll still hear an obvious change in sound at the very beginning of the actual performance of "Hey Joe". It was unavoidable, as the recording of the performance started with a missing note or two, which I was able to pick up in the intro track. Lucky thing, that!

The other track from the other performance already has the additional lineage detailed in the text, above. It was running extremely fast/sharp, and I tuned it down by -1 Semitone, which is what you have here.

Thanks to the sources of these recordings, for taping and archiving them in the first place and then to the hosts sharing them here and at CTT. It was an honor and a pleasure figuring this little puzzle out and putting it back together so y'all can have these important historic documents much closer to the way they sounded, way back in '66.

And add yet another Marco to the list of names involved in this little project. (Mine...)

Yer PervFesser
    Last edited by goody; 09-15-10 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the additional info' Marco (number 2?) :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Thanks for the additional info' Marco (number 2?) :-)
    I am Number 6... (Actually, I'm #4...) And happy to be here!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
    Here's my additional lineage for the Merged Take 02, which was NOT the same offset as the non-merged Track 01 - (I know - it was confusing to me too at first!) - (This lineage is included in the downloaded text, but I noticed it wasn't on this page, and I thought some of you might want some additional detail.)

Goody's additional lineage for Track 02:
    dBpoweramp (WAV) > Cool Edit Pro (Trim and EQ Track 01; Track 02 - Pitch Bender +26 cents; Merge tracks into single new track; fades added) > Trader's Little Helper (Flac Level 8, ffp)

There were 2 tracks from 2 sources. The first track was an intro, and it needed no correction. However, that source didn't sound the same as the source for Track 2, which contained the actual song. Fortunately, there was a tiny bit of overlap, and I could merge the 2 together. I did some additional EQ to Track 1 to have it sound a bit more in character with the music track, but you'll still hear an obvious change in sound at the very beginning of the actual performance of "Hey Joe". It was unavoidable, as the recording of the performance started with a missing note or two, which I was able to pick up in the intro track. Lucky thing, that!

The other track from the other performance already has the additional lineage detailed in the text, above. It was running extremely fast/sharp, and I tuned it down by -1 Semitone, which is what you have here.

Thanks to the sources of these recordings, for taping and archiving them in the first place and then to the hosts sharing them here and at CTT. It was an honor and a pleasure figuring this little puzzle out and putting it back together so y'all can have these important historic documents much closer to the way they sounded, way back in '66.

And add yet another Marco to the list of names involved in this little project. (Mine...)

Yer PervFesser

thanx goody!! and sorry i did not manage to upload your version till now...just didnīt have the time and "head" yet...nice work!

Thanks

Yer PervFesser[/QUOTE]

Welcom aboard!! Professor!
    Hope you like the place....and the music!

Mar.. hoops !!( LONGJAM)

Thanks

"Hope you like the place....and the music!

Mar.. hoops !!( LONGJAM)"

What's not ta like? Jimi's life had a huge impact on all of us. I'm just trying to give a little of that back.

Thanks for providing the forum for that! Greetings to my new friends, Longjam and Olvator, and all the rest here who made such a friendly place to share all these great, rare archives.

goody

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

thanks LongJam aka Marco

Thanks

mmmh...i dont know why, this torrent is working, but the trakers seez no seed and no work...but it's working!!:-) maybe i messed a bit around with my Azureus program!
    enjoy it anyawy

Thanks

... Here's my additional lineage for the Merged Take 02, which was NOT the same offset as the non-merged Track 01..

What? Take 02, Track 01 ??? Merge? What merge? Where? Did you mean composite, maybe?

There were 2 tracks from 2 sources...
    ...The other track from the other performance...

eehh, excuse me ???
    Last edited by Makkinen; 10-03-10 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks

pretty simple::-)

We have two source tapes for the ORIGINAL TV BROADCAST OF 29.12.1966
    better source were merged with longer one ( but audio quality no good) version

And...a 2.2.1967 re-broadcast of a DIFFERENT take of the 29.12.1966 bbc broadcast popped up...

here we have everything, with pitch correction,speed correction etc..
    OK?

Thanks

IDK why the seeds aren't showing up on the page here
    but there's plenty of them and it's working fine

Thanks

Curious indeed as to the lack of "shown" Seeders & Takers. Mine is coming in like a hurricane so I cannot wait!
    Thank U ALL for the effort.
    Peace

===================

Oh My GOD ! ! ! Bloody Fucking MARVELOUS ! ! !
    I'm still smoothing down the hairs on my neck . . . . . .
    Everybody [especially The Breakaways] is running at Warp Speed on this one. Almost scary. Jimi's solo on this one brought tears . . .

There is a glitch [or 2] I may be able to smooth out. I hope nobody minds if I have a crack at it.
    I've been kind of 'sick' lately, but give me a day or 2. I'm going to give it a shot.

Thank you ALL for this. Just stunning. If you've ever been able to just sit & stare & not believe what just came out of your headphones B4 [Like the 1st time you ever heard House Burning Down, or Castles Made of Sand :-] This is one of those times.
    Again - Thank You. Jimi would be very proud! jimi1
    Last edited by Steev; 10-03-10 at 01:43 PM.
    Just below the surface of our everyday world lie riches . . .