Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 24 August 1970 to ∞

Thanks

Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    Monika sued Noel? Never heard that before
    It's in Kathy Etchingham's book in some detail toward the end of the book.

Thanks

Thanks. I never read her book, maybe I should have, but I can't take to her.

Thanks

Monika sued Noel? Never heard that before
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender007 View Post
    It's in Kathy Etchingham's book in some detail toward the end of the book.

It's also in one of the very early issues of Experience Hendrix magazine, mentioned in this old Mike Fairchild thread.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoutship For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, scoutship, interesting read

Thanks

Thanks. I never read her book, maybe I should have, but I can't take to her.
    I'm not sure if it's worth the jacked up price that people charge for it now that it's out-of-print, but I think the book is relevant and enjoyed reading it.

Thanks

I find it hard to forgive her that interview she gave just after Jimi died. I know she says she was mis-quoted, but everybody in Britain knew what a muck-raking rag the 'People' was. She knew what sort of stuff they'd print. I can't even remember what she said but I know it's about the only cutting I threw away.

Thanks

I find it hard to forgive her that interview she gave just after Jimi died. I know she says she was mis-quoted, but everybody in Britain knew what a muck-raking rag the 'People' was. She knew what sort of stuff they'd print. I can't even remember what she said but I know it's about the only cutting I threw away.
    I've read about that several times, but have never seen the actual interview. So, I don't know what was said.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

That was naivety. She was kind of tricked into doing the interview, then the journo made up all kind of stuff. She was so appalled she didn't talk to journos for 20 years until Caesar Glebbeek's book.
    One of the most level-headed and normal people around Jimi, IMO. Shame he didn't appreciate.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    That was naivety. She was kind of tricked into doing the interview, then the journo made up all kind of stuff. She was so appalled she didn't talk to journos for 20 years until Caesar Glebbeek's book.
    One of the most level-headed and normal people around Jimi, IMO. Shame he didn't appreciate.
    Sorry, I don't agree. How exactly was she tricked? Did the journalist say he/she was from the Sunday Times or something? The People was well known as a gutter press newspaper, and she WOULD have known that. She may have felt ashamed afterwards & tried to excuse herself. But if someone you were close to died, would your first action be to speak to the press? It was published only a week after Jimi's death.
    I wish I'd kept it though!

Thanks

Sorry, I don't agree. How exactly was she tricked? Did the journalist say he/she was from the Sunday Times or something? The People was well known as a gutter press newspaper, and she WOULD have known that. She may have felt ashamed afterwards & tried to excuse herself. But if someone you were close to died, would your first action be to speak to the press? It was published only a week after Jimi's death.
    I wish I'd kept it though!
    I don't know if it's intentional, but you're being vague about all this. You said you haven't read Kathy's book because you don't like her. You've referred to a controversial interview given 40 years which bothered you, but you can't even say what was in it. You seem to be personally blaming Kathy herself for the low quality of the newspaper which dino77 says tricked her. Just the fact that Kathy Etchingham didn't talk to another journalist for 20 years would indicate to me that she was very unhappy with what happened in the interview. But you seem to still be holding her personally responsible for whatever it is that happened. I think people who know Kathy will agree with dino77's statement that she is a level-headed and normal person.

Thanks

* " Less scrupulous English newspapers were quick to seize on the chance to exploit Jimi's 'reputation' and publish sleazy kiss & tell stories.Kathy Etchingham was tricked into giving a story to a press friend, who then sold it to a Sunday newspaper, where it was re-written by another journalist, allegedly in Kathy's own words, Jimi was portrayed as a violent, drug-addled satyr, She later received an apology from the Editor,who acknowledged the deception, but no retraction was printed"

*Electric Gypsy (page 474)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to buffalorattle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't know if it's intentional, but you're being vague about all this. You said you haven't read Kathy's book because you don't like her. You've referred to a controversial interview given 40 years which bothered you, but you can't even say what was in it. You seem to be personally blaming Kathy herself for the low quality of the newspaper which dino77 says tricked her. Just the fact that Kathy Etchingham didn't talk to another journalist for 20 years would indicate to me that she was very unhappy with what happened in the interview. But you seem to still be holding her personally responsible for whatever it is that happened. I think people who know Kathy will agree with dino77's statement that she is a level-headed and normal person.
    I'm not being deliberately vague, honestly. I don't remember the wording of the article, but the gist of it was all about his drug-taking & promiscuity - okay, true, but she didn't mention a redeeming feature. If you knew what the reputation of The People was, you'd understand. I don't blame her for the newspaper's standard, only that she chose to speak to them. I'm sure she was unhappy about the article, but she was, what 24 years old? - not a little girl. I dare say she is level-headed and normal, but that was a betrayal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalorattle View Post
    * " Less scrupulous English newspapers were quick to seize on the chance to exploit Jimi's 'reputation' and publish sleazy kiss & tell stories.Kathy Etchingham was tricked into giving a story to a press friend, who then sold it to a Sunday newspaper, where it was re-written by another journalist, allegedly in Kathy's own words, Jimi was portrayed as a violent, drug-addled satyr, She later received an apology from the Editor,who acknowledged the deception, but no retraction was printed"

Some friend! And was she paid?

Thanks

Some friend! And was she paid?
    Not sure about that, but I too vaguely remember the article , it was a real character assasination of Jimi ,like you I bore a grudge towards Kathy Etchingham until i read the piece in Electric Gypsy (see above). In the Chris Welch book on Jimi, I seem to recall a montage of newspaper headlines, not sure if the 'People' article is featured there.

Thanks

Just checked the Chris Welch book, but it isn't there unfortunately.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rupe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalorattle View Post

I just checked and that is on page 470 of my book, a different edition, obviously. Thanks for that.

Thanks

I'm not being deliberately vague, honestly. I don't remember the wording of the article, but the gist of it was all about his drug-taking & promiscuity - okay, true, but she didn't mention a redeeming feature. If you knew what the reputation of The People was, you'd understand. I don't blame her for the newspaper's standard, only that she chose to speak to them. I'm sure she was unhappy about the article, but she was, what 24 years old? - not a little girl. I dare say she is level-headed and normal, but that was a betrayal.
    It's possible if you read Kathy's book, you might get a more favorable impression of her. I'm not saying everything is in there that might be pertinent, but it's a good start.

Thanks

Caesar Glebbeek quotes a portion of what Kathy allegedly said in the People article in his book 'The Last Weeks of Jimi Hendrix':

"He had an incredible sexual appetite and would often sleep with three or four girls the same night. I knew all about it, but I was content...
    It was hash that turned him on. From there he went on to cocaine and eventually heroin... He was psychologically hooked on drugs like coke and smack... Oh, I could go on and on. There's so much more I could say about this amazing, crashed-up man."

The headline of the article was: 'He was hooked on drugs and his hair was turning grey.'
    The article was printed two days after Jimi's death on the 20 September 1970.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horizon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Kathy writes "By the time it came out the article read like a nightmare, bearing no resemblance to anything I actually said. The headlines screamed about drug orgies and sex sessions; it took the wild-man image and blew it up into a monster, a demon rock star as only the tabloid media can create. They had failed to get Mick Jagger and Keith Richards so they went after Jimi, who just like Brian before him, was no longer in a position to do anything about it. I came across as stupid, hysterical, oversexed and drug-soaked, just another groupie cashing in on my contacts. None of it sounded remotely like anything I had actually said. It was my first experience of being a victim of the media's insatiable thirst for sensation and it left me profoundly shocked, horrified to think that my friends would believe I had ever said such things..."

"Through Gypsy Eyes," Kathy Etchingham, p. 151.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Defender007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Kathy writes "... It was my first experience of being a victim of the media's insatiable thirst for sensation and it left me profoundly shocked, horrified to think that my friends would believe I had ever said such things..." ...
    o-kaaaayyyyeeee!
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich