Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 79

Thread: 24 August 1970 to ∞

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    Monika sued Noel? Never heard that before
    It's in Kathy Etchingham's book in some detail toward the end of the book.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks
    2,971
    Thanked 669 Times in 327 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Thanks. I never read her book, maybe I should have, but I can't take to her.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    557
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 256 Times in 107 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Monika sued Noel? Never heard that before
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender007 View Post
    It's in Kathy Etchingham's book in some detail toward the end of the book.

    It's also in one of the very early issues of Experience Hendrix magazine, mentioned in this old Mike Fairchild thread.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoutship For This Useful Post:


  5. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks
    2,971
    Thanked 669 Times in 327 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Thanks, scoutship, interesting read

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    Thanks. I never read her book, maybe I should have, but I can't take to her.
    I'm not sure if it's worth the jacked up price that people charge for it now that it's out-of-print, but I think the book is relevant and enjoyed reading it.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks
    2,971
    Thanked 669 Times in 327 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    I find it hard to forgive her that interview she gave just after Jimi died. I know she says she was mis-quoted, but everybody in Britain knew what a muck-raking rag the 'People' was. She knew what sort of stuff they'd print. I can't even remember what she said but I know it's about the only cutting I threw away.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    I find it hard to forgive her that interview she gave just after Jimi died. I know she says she was mis-quoted, but everybody in Britain knew what a muck-raking rag the 'People' was. She knew what sort of stuff they'd print. I can't even remember what she said but I know it's about the only cutting I threw away.
    I've read about that several times, but have never seen the actual interview. So, I don't know what was said.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,256
    Thanks
    780
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    I find it hard to forgive her that interview she gave just after Jimi died. I know she says she was mis-quoted, but everybody in Britain knew what a muck-raking rag the 'People' was. She knew what sort of stuff they'd print. I can't even remember what she said but I know it's about the only cutting I threw away.
    That was naivety. She was kind of tricked into doing the interview, then the journo made up all kind of stuff. She was so appalled she didn't talk to journos for 20 years until Caesar Glebbeek's book.
    One of the most level-headed and normal people around Jimi, IMO. Shame he didn't appreciate.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:


  11. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks
    2,971
    Thanked 669 Times in 327 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    That was naivety. She was kind of tricked into doing the interview, then the journo made up all kind of stuff. She was so appalled she didn't talk to journos for 20 years until Caesar Glebbeek's book.
    One of the most level-headed and normal people around Jimi, IMO. Shame he didn't appreciate.
    Sorry, I don't agree. How exactly was she tricked? Did the journalist say he/she was from the Sunday Times or something? The People was well known as a gutter press newspaper, and she WOULD have known that. She may have felt ashamed afterwards & tried to excuse herself. But if someone you were close to died, would your first action be to speak to the press? It was published only a week after Jimi's death.
    I wish I'd kept it though!

  12. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    Sorry, I don't agree. How exactly was she tricked? Did the journalist say he/she was from the Sunday Times or something? The People was well known as a gutter press newspaper, and she WOULD have known that. She may have felt ashamed afterwards & tried to excuse herself. But if someone you were close to died, would your first action be to speak to the press? It was published only a week after Jimi's death.
    I wish I'd kept it though!
    I don't know if it's intentional, but you're being vague about all this. You said you haven't read Kathy's book because you don't like her. You've referred to a controversial interview given 40 years which bothered you, but you can't even say what was in it. You seem to be personally blaming Kathy herself for the low quality of the newspaper which dino77 says tricked her. Just the fact that Kathy Etchingham didn't talk to another journalist for 20 years would indicate to me that she was very unhappy with what happened in the interview. But you seem to still be holding her personally responsible for whatever it is that happened. I think people who know Kathy will agree with dino77's statement that she is a level-headed and normal person.

  13. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manchester England
    Posts
    3,697
    Thanks
    3,110
    Thanked 611 Times in 250 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    * " Less scrupulous English newspapers were quick to seize on the chance to exploit Jimi's 'reputation' and publish sleazy kiss & tell stories.Kathy Etchingham was tricked into giving a story to a press friend, who then sold it to a Sunday newspaper, where it was re-written by another journalist, allegedly in Kathy's own words, Jimi was portrayed as a violent, drug-addled satyr, She later received an apology from the Editor,who acknowledged the deception, but no retraction was printed"

    *Electric Gypsy (page 474)

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to buffalorattle For This Useful Post:


  15. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks
    2,971
    Thanked 669 Times in 327 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by Defender007 View Post
    I don't know if it's intentional, but you're being vague about all this. You said you haven't read Kathy's book because you don't like her. You've referred to a controversial interview given 40 years which bothered you, but you can't even say what was in it. You seem to be personally blaming Kathy herself for the low quality of the newspaper which dino77 says tricked her. Just the fact that Kathy Etchingham didn't talk to another journalist for 20 years would indicate to me that she was very unhappy with what happened in the interview. But you seem to still be holding her personally responsible for whatever it is that happened. I think people who know Kathy will agree with dino77's statement that she is a level-headed and normal person.
    I'm not being deliberately vague, honestly. I don't remember the wording of the article, but the gist of it was all about his drug-taking & promiscuity - okay, true, but she didn't mention a redeeming feature. If you knew what the reputation of The People was, you'd understand. I don't blame her for the newspaper's standard, only that she chose to speak to them. I'm sure she was unhappy about the article, but she was, what 24 years old? - not a little girl. I dare say she is level-headed and normal, but that was a betrayal.

  16. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks
    2,971
    Thanked 669 Times in 327 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by buffalorattle View Post
    * " Less scrupulous English newspapers were quick to seize on the chance to exploit Jimi's 'reputation' and publish sleazy kiss & tell stories.Kathy Etchingham was tricked into giving a story to a press friend, who then sold it to a Sunday newspaper, where it was re-written by another journalist, allegedly in Kathy's own words, Jimi was portrayed as a violent, drug-addled satyr, She later received an apology from the Editor,who acknowledged the deception, but no retraction was printed"

    *Electric Gypsy (page 474)
    Some friend! And was she paid?

  17. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manchester England
    Posts
    3,697
    Thanks
    3,110
    Thanked 611 Times in 250 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    Some friend! And was she paid?
    Not sure about that, but I too vaguely remember the article , it was a real character assasination of Jimi ,like you I bore a grudge towards Kathy Etchingham until i read the piece in Electric Gypsy (see above). In the Chris Welch book on Jimi, I seem to recall a montage of newspaper headlines, not sure if the 'People' article is featured there.

  18. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,511
    Thanks
    2,971
    Thanked 669 Times in 327 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Just checked the Chris Welch book, but it isn't there unfortunately.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rupe For This Useful Post:


  20. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by buffalorattle View Post
    * " Less scrupulous English newspapers were quick to seize on the chance to exploit Jimi's 'reputation' and publish sleazy kiss & tell stories.Kathy Etchingham was tricked into giving a story to a press friend, who then sold it to a Sunday newspaper, where it was re-written by another journalist, allegedly in Kathy's own words, Jimi was portrayed as a violent, drug-addled satyr, She later received an apology from the Editor,who acknowledged the deception, but no retraction was printed"

    *Electric Gypsy (page 474)
    I just checked and that is on page 470 of my book, a different edition, obviously. Thanks for that.

  21. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    I'm not being deliberately vague, honestly. I don't remember the wording of the article, but the gist of it was all about his drug-taking & promiscuity - okay, true, but she didn't mention a redeeming feature. If you knew what the reputation of The People was, you'd understand. I don't blame her for the newspaper's standard, only that she chose to speak to them. I'm sure she was unhappy about the article, but she was, what 24 years old? - not a little girl. I dare say she is level-headed and normal, but that was a betrayal.
    It's possible if you read Kathy's book, you might get a more favorable impression of her. I'm not saying everything is in there that might be pertinent, but it's a good start.

  22. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    542
    Thanks
    179
    Thanked 440 Times in 130 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Caesar Glebbeek quotes a portion of what Kathy allegedly said in the People article in his book 'The Last Weeks of Jimi Hendrix':

    "He had an incredible sexual appetite and would often sleep with three or four girls the same night. I knew all about it, but I was content...
    It was hash that turned him on. From there he went on to cocaine and eventually heroin... He was psychologically hooked on drugs like coke and smack... Oh, I could go on and on. There's so much more I could say about this amazing, crashed-up man."

    The headline of the article was: 'He was hooked on drugs and his hair was turning grey.'
    The article was printed two days after Jimi's death on the 20 September 1970.

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horizon For This Useful Post:


  24. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Kathy writes "By the time it came out the article read like a nightmare, bearing no resemblance to anything I actually said. The headlines screamed about drug orgies and sex sessions; it took the wild-man image and blew it up into a monster, a demon rock star as only the tabloid media can create. They had failed to get Mick Jagger and Keith Richards so they went after Jimi, who just like Brian before him, was no longer in a position to do anything about it. I came across as stupid, hysterical, oversexed and drug-soaked, just another groupie cashing in on my contacts. None of it sounded remotely like anything I had actually said. It was my first experience of being a victim of the media's insatiable thirst for sensation and it left me profoundly shocked, horrified to think that my friends would believe I had ever said such things..."

    "Through Gypsy Eyes," Kathy Etchingham, p. 151.

  25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Defender007 For This Useful Post:


  26. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in California
    Posts
    6,779
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

    Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

    Quote Originally Posted by Defender007 View Post
    Kathy writes "... It was my first experience of being a victim of the media's insatiable thirst for sensation and it left me profoundly shocked, horrified to think that my friends would believe I had ever said such things..." ...
    o-kaaaayyyyeeee!
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

    "We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

    “If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Similar Threads

  1. Becoming Jimi Hendrix, early years biography, out august 31
    By Herman Cherusken in forum External Links
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-25-11, 03:22 AM
  2. 24 August 1970 to ∞ (part III)
    By stplsd in forum Conspiracy Theory
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-15-11, 06:56 AM
  3. August 3, 1968, Dallas, TX (AUD) 2nd Gen
    By firstrays in forum Re-Seed Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-11, 09:09 PM
  4. 24 August 1970 to ∞ (part II)
    By stplsd in forum Conspiracy Theory
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-10, 12:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBitty (VBTT) 4 for XBT v1.1 CUSTOM by Toolmanwill