Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 24 August 1970 to ∞

Thanks
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 858 Posts

Re: 24 August 1970 to ∞

Did Kathy have a slew of newspapers at her door wanting an interview or was it a choice of just the low end rags?
    That's in no way i going to "excuse" such foolishness AS IN TALKING TO THE GUTTER PRESS at any time with regard ANY issue.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Did Kathy have a slew of newspapers at her door wanting an interview or was it a choice of just the low end rags?
    That's in no way i going to "excuse" such foolishness AS IN TALKING TO THE GUTTER PRESS at any time with regard ANY issue.
    Who knows, but journalists can be very persuasive and act nice/emphatic etc...they never say "Can you give an interview? I will distort most of what you say to suit my needs and this will haunt you as long as you live".

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 858 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Who knows, but journalists can be very persuasive and act nice/emphatic etc...they never say "Can you give an interview? I will distort most of what you say to suit my needs and this will haunt you as long as you live".
    ALL newspapers put a slant on whatever they are told. Just the gutter press (and you know who you are you fuckers, rot in hell or is that Jail, lol) do it in such a way as to ensure that what they write becomes the TRUTH, the History of the issue in question.

I'm sure Kathy regretted granting these people an interview, payment or otherwise but at age 24 she would have known that just what she had to say would be distorted to satisfy both the gutter minds of the paper in question and also put it on a level the paying readers could understand, let’s be honest the average intelligence of readers even today of such rags is little more than basic.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    ALL newspapers put a slant on whatever they are told. Just the gutter press (and you know who you are you fuckers, rot in hell or is that Jail, lol) do it in such a way as to ensure that what they write becomes the TRUTH, the History of the issue in question.

I'm sure Kathy regretted granting these people an interview, payment or otherwise but at age 24 she would have known that just what she had to say would be distorted to satisfy both the gutter minds of the paper in question and also put it on a level the paying readers could understand, let’s be honest the average intelligence of readers even today of such rags is little more than basic.
    Sure, Kathy was very naive. My point was that doesn't make her a money-hungry bitch as some try to argue. Plenty of other Jimi alumni in the latter category though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 762 Posts

Sure, Kathy was very naive. ...
    I don't think so. According to her book, she comes across as already being quite 'street smart' by the time Hendrix enters her life.
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Defender007 View Post
    It's in Kathy Etchingham's book in some detail toward the end of the book.

Monika threatened to sue Noel but never went through with it - she had her hands full when Kathy DID sue her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    I don't think so. According to her book, she comes across as already being quite 'street smart' by the time Hendrix enters her life.
    Jimi himself was street smart, and he signed a 5-year contract for $5. Street smart doesn't mean you are knowledgeable of every aspect of society.
    But I'm not gonna be an apologist for Kathy E.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Jimi himself was street smart ...
    No, not from what I've seen documented about Hendrix, and from personally knowing 'street-smart' people. If he were, he would not have ended on Sept. 18 (short of foul-play).

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 659 Posts

did any of you give interviews? I can tell you, you are never prepared, no matter how hard you try, for the result. It seems impossible to get them to write what you actually said/intended to say. Saying that, I am always amazed to read Hendrix interviews and how he manages to stay in control (most of the times) and get the most wonderful ideas across.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    ... It seems impossible to get them to write what you actually said/intended to say. Saying that, I am always amazed to read Hendrix interviews ...:
    Hendrix speaking is like hearing from the Burning Bush - you dare not misquote!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    I am always amazed to read Hendrix interviews and how he manages to stay in control (most of the times) and get the most wonderful ideas across.
    I think the interviewers pretty much all realized that if they just went verbatim with whatever Jimi said, it would be better than any spiced up version they could come up with. Anybody else they interviewed would of course need major reworking before going to print.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TwoAlpha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticbumwipe View Post
    Bridges and Danneman were hardly pals.
    Aquaintances, whatever, ho-hum.
    Do you dispute that she was trying to get hold of Bridges when she phoned Judy Wong? (where Bridges had been staying until that night)
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    I think she was just more complete and self confident in life. She was of course ready to party and enjoy life but still had other interests in life besides Jimi. She doesn't appear to be the clingy groupie type from what I've read of her. I am pretty sure she had Jimi's attention when they were together. Let's not forget Jimi had a jealous/mean side to him that rarely gets mentioned?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharpstat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpstat View Post
    I think she was just more complete and self confident in life. She was of course ready to party and enjoy life but still had other interests in life besides Jimi. She doesn't appear to be the clingy groupie type from what I've read of her. I am pretty sure she had Jimi's attention when they were together. Let's not forget Jimi had a jealous/mean side to him that rarely gets mentioned?
    That's a pretty good character description probably.
    Yes, Jimi hit her with a telephone with John and Paul as witnesses...some people should not drink.

Thanks

Jimi hit her with a telephone with John and Paul as witnesses
    According to Kathy that is. I don't recall either Beatle (or anyone else) backing up her story, not to say it didn't happen - just. And I've yet to see any back-up for most of her other stories for that matter - eg Angie's reported letter, their antics in 1969 NY 70 London, seems probable but why not show us the letter, some evidence (anything of something!) that she was in NY for that length of time, the NY concert etc.
    Last edited by stplsd; 06-27-12 at 09:57 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Aquaintances, whatever,...
    Do you dispute that she was trying to get hold of Bridges when she phoned Judy Wong? (where Bridges had been staying until that night)
    As I understand it Monika was trying to get hold of Jimi's private doctor's number. So she was presumably ringing numbers that she found in Jimi's adress book of names that she had heard from him or of people she knew he had been seeing around that time. That is why I don't underdstand it as you appear to, i.e. I don't think she was ringing either "pals" or "acqauintances". That I regard as your presumption.
    She presumably DID become 'acqauinted' with them AFTER Jimi had died and with all that followed. But they were never 'pals'. I think you have got that bit wrong.

Thanks

As I understand it Monika was trying to get hold of Jimi's private doctor's number.
    How "pally" they were is neither here nor there, what has that got to do with anything?

She had met them both earlier, she phoned Bridges up after being given her number by Wong, whatever, the result's the same.

Thanks

How "pally" they were is neither here nor there, what has that got to do with anything?
    Huh! It has got everything to do with what we are discussing. That is the only thing I have been discussing with you.

You described them as "pals". I suggested that it is wrong to assume that. Monika and Alvenia were NEVER "pals" before Jimi died and I know of no info to suggest that they were "pals" AFTER.

Er... however small and insignificant, can you ever admit to being in error about anything ?

Thanks

ie I'll spell it out for you, "What bearing do you feel their level of aquaintance was had on the events leading up to JH's demise, or possibly the stances taken by varying factions after the event?" I'm still waiting for a reply

You described them as "pals". I suggested that it is wrong to assume that.
    You did not "suggest", you emphatically denied the possibilty. I suggest it is wrong to assume they were not on 'friendly enough terms' that MD considered, quite possibly exagerratedly so, that they were 'friends', I wouldn't know. MD arrived in London by the 24 August 70 at least and had visited London twice previously (1969) at least, so we are told. She may well have met AB several times. It's not my point of view that they were friends, failing someone producing evidence to the contrary I have merely used MD's description of what she felt their relationship was ie "friends", I was not sufficiently interested to investigate their depth of aquaintance, as I don't see that as being of any significance.

Monika and Alvenia were NEVER "pals" before Jimi died
    Monika claims they were. I have yet to see Alvinia, Wong or anyone else who would know challenging this. If some evidence appears to contradict that they had met earlier, and that they were not on friendly terms. I will conclude that Monika's claim is an error. You merely asserting such is not 'evidence'

Er... however small and insignificant
    Yes that does possibly sum up this topic, depends on if you have some interesting point to make (other than asserting that they were not 'pals')

, can you ever admit to being in error about anything ?
    I have done several times, here at CTT. Have you ever admitted to being in error?