Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl: Cry of Love artwork

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 485 Posts

Vinyl: Cry of Love artwork

(see thumbnail attachment below for painting ...Crycover.bmp)
    It has been reported that Jimi Hendrix commissioned this painting, by Henri Martinez, in early 1970, with the intention of using the picture as the cover of his next album. The album titled "The Cry of Love" as originally intended was never to be, the work on it still unfinished at the time of Jimi's death. Martinez incorporated Jimi's alleged Cherokee ancestry(some people don't know that Jimi was rumored to be part Cherokee). Here we have Jimi posed as the Proud Warrior but one who uses a modern weapon - the electric guitar.The Cry of Love album that Jimi asked Henri to paint this piece for didn't end up on the cover when the album was posthumously released. It was originally planned to be a double record set tentatively titled Cry Of Love but because it was unfinished at the time of his death they picked certain tracks for a single record with the same name six months after Jimi's death. After his passing there were major legal issues with his estate .It seems that Reprise decided to have Nancy Reiner draw a pencil picture of Jimi for the cover of the Cry of Love album being that Nancy Reiner and Jimi were close friends. I suppose at the time it seemed like the correct thing to do.

This piece might be the only unpublished Jimi Hendrix album cover in the world.

The Nancy Reiner version artwork is on all the covers worldwide. The graphics may change slightly or sometimes there was a title sticker added where no graphics exist.(US,Canada,German)

Vinyl:
    Note: the album title changes to Freedom in some later reissues(German/Aussie boxed sets)

Also included is scan of legendary red vinyl pressing from rogue Polydor employee in early 70's . Scarce?? only 5 copies were made !!

Also shown:
    A promo poster for the album. Impossible to find US 7 " white label promo for 1 minute Radio spots for the Cry of Love album sent to radio stations instead of a small reel to reel tape.RCA record club label w/ 2 tone label and a Reprise Records US Test Pressing from CBS pressing plant Santa Maria CA.

The album was released by Reprise in USA March 1971 and made it to #3.
    Track Records in UK released the album March 5 1971 reaching #2. Also released on Barclay in France and Polydor the rest of the world.

Note:
    unique Venezuela pressing w/ yellow text

Last edited by billo528; 03-23-16 at 04:11 PM. Reason: addition

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Vinyl: Cry of Love artwork

Whoa! That cover would have made a lovely addition to Jimi`s catalogue, I dont recall having seen it before. Thanks Billo528.
    "Fucking Hell, I Broke a String!!"
    1968 Voodoo Chile sessions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

Lousy painting. Thank God it wasn't used!
    Thanks for putting this up though.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,836 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billo528 View Post
    It has been reported that Jimi Hendrix commissioned this painting, by Henri Martinez, in early 1970, with the intention of using the picture as the cover of his next album. The album titled "The Cry of Love" as originally intended was never to be, the work on it still unfinished at the time of Jimi's death.

Thanks for the great pics and the description Billo. I realise it's not your descrption, you are just quoting the seller.
    But I have never seen any evidence that Jimi intended to call any album 'The Cry Of Love' the only mention during his lifetime I've heard of this title is in an interview by Keith Altham in April 70, in New York (pub. May 1970 UK, Melody Maker and Petticoat magazines), when Jimi says: “I called the tour ‘The Cry of Love’ because that’s what it’s all about.” Anyone got anything else on this we'd love to see it.
    As to the art it just appears to be an unfounded claim by the "artist"... or? He also appears to have assumed, as do many, that Jimi titled the Lp.
    Whereas he is only recorded as considering 'First Rays Of The New Rising Sun' (frequently, over a long period of time) but later wrote out a similar list of songs but with the title: Strate Ahead [sic], and, also, according to Fairchild, there's a brief note (undated) in Jimi's hand: "New L.P. title People, Hell and Angels". Interestingly Gerry Velez' sister Martha's 1969 LP was titled 'Fiends and Angels', it featured Mitch on drums;-)?
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-17-11 at 06:44 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Sorry, what am I missing here? The pics you posted are what I have always associated with Cry of Love..? Be gentle, I'm thick sometimes!
    Let me live my life, the way I want to.

Thanks

soccertackle14
    click on the link under Attached Images

Thanks

Nancy Reiner's brother Tom contacted me a few years ago and showed me sections of her diary and other art work/poetry. He plans to publish it. There were many not-so-nice notes about her boyfriend Mike Jeffery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lostarchives View Post
    Nancy Reiner's brother Tom contacted me a few years ago and showed me sections of her diary and other art work/poetry. He plans to publish it. There were many not-so-nice notes about her boyfriend Mike Jeffery.
    First I've heard they had a relationship? Would explain the cover art choice for COL.
    But, if indeed they did, "Hell hath no fury like a woman [ie anyone] scorned" springs to mind;-) She is, so it has been claimed at CTT, notorious for selling items of dubious connection to Jimi for large sums;-)
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-17-11 at 06:18 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    Lousy painting. ....
    whatever ...

agreed.

The only criticsm I have of the painting is non-originality. See attached :
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

In it's "teenage" clumsy literalness reminiscent of the pathetic Midnight Lighting cover, but even worse
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-17-11 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks

Doh! I just assumed that was to download the pictures that I could already see. Thanks! Pretty wild
    Let me live my life, the way I want to.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,153 Times in 659 Posts

It is interesting that Jimi is wearing his "Mexican' jacket with the tassels similar to the one his grandmother gave him when young.

But why should we believe it is indeed commissioned by Jimi?

Thanks

There's another painting out there - it's a water color scene with a rocket, skyscraper city scene and jimi - tons of color. Anyone recall this image? I think I remember reading it was an alternate image for electric ladyland.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post

In it's "teenage" clumsy literalness reminiscent of the pathetic Midnight Lighting cover, but even worse
    heh, heh (everyone's a critc).... what's worse are the asinine 'carnaby' duds Jimi donned when first in the UK (the military jacket being the one exception). Thank God a 'modicum' of fashion sense was restored upon his return to the USA.
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    First I've heard they had a relationship? Would explain the cover art choice for COL.
    But, if indeed they did, "Hell hath no fury like a woman [ie anyone] scorned" springs to mind;-) She is, so it has been claimed at CTT, notorious for selling items of dubious connection to Jimi for large sums;-)
    As far as I know, Nancy Reiner died in 2006, so it isn't she who's selling the stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    As far as I know, Nancy Reiner died in 2006, so it isn't she who's selling the stuff.
    From then on;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,153 Times in 659 Posts

Beautiful! Never seen it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gesikang View Post
    Beautiful! Never seen it.
    Whaaaat!?

You've already seen part of it

Thanks

I've always wondered where the photo on the back of the LP was taken. Do we have any clues?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 485 Posts

Photo below and recollections by Victor Kahn September 18, 1970 - copyrighted, absolutely no reproduction.

"Amazing how coincidence plays a big part in the scenario of everything... here is the short version:
    The sunrise back cover picture was photographed on the morning before Jimi's death at my home in Sausalito, California as the sun rose over Angel's Island and Berkeley, CA (in the background). It was the perfect image for what was to become history later that night.

Jimi was doing new material for what was tentatively called by the NY office "House Of The New Rising Sun" or "Sunshine & Rainbows". It was a new direction for Jimi given what he started at Woodstock ...and with "The Band Of Gypsys". Yes, this could have been a cover shot, but his exit from this physical plane changed not only the cover image, but also the title of the album. Given the circumstances I just couldn't let Michael Jeffrey & Eddie Kramer title the new album either of the above two working names. Having heard most of the tracks it sounded to me like jimi was crying out for help in search of the real him & meanings. Clearly "The Cry Of Love" became the final name of the album release reflecting what Jimi was saying in his music.

Years later Mathew Culmore was in the house that I had given to him and photographed this daylight image from approximately the same place with all the worldly water traffic and the Sausalito ferry on its hourly trip to San Francisco in the foreground."

(So there you go... the meaning of "The Cry Of Love" direct from the designer & photographer in his own words.)

here's a couple of more shots of Angel Island

Last edited by billo528; 03-22-16 at 09:16 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post: