Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl: Cry of Love artwork

Thanks

Re: Vinyl: Cry of Love artwork

Quote Originally Posted by billo528 View Post
    Attachment 6772Attachment 6773Attachment 6770Attachment 6771

(see thumbnail attachment below for painting ...Crycover.bmp)
    It has been reported that Jimi Hendrix commissioned this painting, by Henri Martinez, in early 1970, with the intention of using the picture as the cover of his next album. The album titled "The Cry of Love" as originally intended was never to be, the work on it still unfinished at the time of Jimi's death. Martinez incorporated Jimi's alleged Cherokee ancestry(some people don't know that Jimi was rumored to be part Cherokee). Here we have Jimi posed as the Proud Warrior but one who uses a modern weapon - the electric guitar.The Cry of Love album that Jimi asked Henri to paint this piece for didn't end up on the cover when the album was posthumously released. It was originally planned to be a double record set tentatively titled Cry Of Love but because it was unfinished at the time of his death they picked certain tracks for a single record with the same name six months after Jimi's death. After his passing there were major legal issues with his estate .It seems that Reprise decided to have Nancy Reiner draw a pencil picture of Jimi for the cover of the Cry of Love album being that Nancy Reiner and Jimi were close friends. I suppose at the time it seemed like the correct thing to do.

This piece might be the only unpublished Jimi Hendrix album cover in the world.
    Thanks a lot for these great scans Billo,as a vinyl lover,especially the red vinyl one makes me drool LOL
    Do you own all these great discs,like the radio promo,or did you collect only these pictures ??????
    As for the Hendrix painting it might look rare,but it's also used in this thread by our great "mod" Steev

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...lectric+Church.

As STP/LSD pointed out these are not your words,but your just quoting the seller.
    Because another unpublished sleeve that comes to mind is of course Jimi with the children on the fountain,
    which jimi wanted for Electric Ladyland.
    All the best,
    Thunderbaas

Thanks

Photo by Victor Kahn September 18, 1970 - copyrighted, absolutely no reproduction.

Amazing how coincidence plays a big part in the scenario of everything... here is the short version:
    The sunrise back cover picture was photographed on the morning before Jimi's death at my home in Sausalito, California as the sun rose over Angel's Island and Berkeley, CA (in the background). It was the perfect image for what was to become history later that night.

Jimi was doing new material for what was tentatively called by the NY office "House Of The New Rising Sun" or "Sunshine & Rainbows". It was a new direction for Jimi given what he started at Woodstock ...and with "The Band Of Gypsys". Yes, this could have been a cover shot, but his exit from this physical plane changed not only the cover image, but also the title of the album. Given the circumstances I just couldn't let Michael Jeffrey & Eddie Kramer title the new album either of the above two working names. Having heard most of the tracks it sounded to me like jimi was crying out for help in search of the real him & meanings. Clearly "The Cry Of Love" became the final name of the album release reflecting what Jimi was saying in his music.

Years later Mathew Culmore was in the house that I had given to him and photographed this daylight image from approximately the same place with all the worldly water traffic and the Sausalito ferry on its hourly trip to San Francisco in the foreground.

So there you go... the meaning of "The Cry Of Love" direct from the designer & photographer.
    Oh my, as coincedence would have it I work in Sausalito...I never knew!!! Thank you so much!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 485 Posts

TB: I don't own the RED vinyl prototype .Nor do I own the China or Yugo COL record scans posted
    everything else is mine ...like the hard to find 7" radio spots promo, US test pressing and 2 tone RCA club pressing.

Thanks

TB: I don't own the RED vinyl prototype .Nor do I own the China or Yugo COL record scans posted
    everything else is mine ...like the hard to find 7" radio spots promo, US test pressing and 2 tone RCA club pressing.
    Nice collection Billo !!! As I live here in Europe I have a lot of polydor compilations & some german karousel comps as well,
    Might scan & place 'm up here as well in the near future. The funny thing is that in the 70ies here in Europe we were verry eager to get our hands on Reclamation pressings (they had a verry good reputation overhere) but several USA collectors later told me that they had a craving for Track/Polydor. Just shows you that the grass is allways greener on the other site of the hill.
    Still looks like you have an impressive Jimi collection,liked your concert posters a lot too. Great that you share it here with us.
    all the best,
    thunderbaas.

Thanks

All thanks go to CTT for providing/adding the Knowledge Base forum to do this labor of love
    I don't know of a better organized site on the planet for credible info on Jimi.One stop shopping ..
    I'm more than happy to share info and scans w/ the group here in The Knowledge Base and
    I'd welcome input from any and all who choose to share their knowledge ,scans and info too.
    (Hello Tim? are ya there mate?)

Also TB not everything shown in the other KB official releases threads is mine either ....majority but not all.
    Same w/ posters handbills and tickets etc. all over CTT

hope to see your contributions sooner than later

6. The Following User Says Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Billo! I've seen that view a million times since I've lived in Marin and Sonoma Counties for the last 42 years and I never knew the picture was Angel Island. I bought Cry of Love the week it came out in 1971 at the Santa Rosa K-Mart for $3.19...
    Wow - amazing!

Thanks

somehow I overlooked the various Reprise Canadian vinyl versions of Cry of Love:

tri color cover is not gatefold.

brown label cover is regular gatefold like the US version but only this one also has yellow title graphic printed on cover slick
    the US early pressings had this as a sticker on the shrinkwrap

black label has gatefold cover but loads from inside instead of the usual loader from outside

also comes w/ 24 by 36 inch poster by Victor Kahn & Ronald Merians
    Last edited by billo528; 03-23-16 at 04:03 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

tri color cover is not gatefold.
    Thnks billo, I presume the tricolor wasthe original release? strange how they skimped on the cover, was it maybe sold cheaper to get it into the charts quicker? or were they just maximising profit?
    Attachment 8945
    is this the free poster.? I notice the face was later cropped and used for the Nine to the universe lp.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Red House View Post
    Thanks Billo! I've seen that view a million times since I've lived in Marin and Sonoma Counties for the last 42 years and I never knew the picture was Angel Island. I bought Cry of Love the week it came out in 1971 at the Santa Rosa K-Mart for $3.19...
    Wow - amazing!
    Wow is right. I always presumed it was Maui, or somewhere on Hawaii. I'll have to have another look when I go home tonight.

Thanks

no the tri color was much later release ...I suspect a possible Canadian record club w/ the cr letters under the catalog number , but nothing is noted on the cover

the poster came free w/ the black label pressing.Hard to find.

Seems like both of these are found mainly in eastern Canada

13. The Following User Says Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Guess where I'm going camping July 21-23?
    Yup. Angel Island.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Red House For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Original Nancy drawing is now on display in Prague Hard Rock Cafe with some other Jimi's related stuff. Very interesting to see.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jacek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 856 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacek View Post
    Original Nancy drawing is now on display in Prague Hard Rock Cafe with some other Jimi's related stuff. Very interesting to see.
    Any chance of a couple of photo's?
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Nancy's original pencil drawing. As you see blue sky background was added later in the cover production.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacek For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Attachment 22967Nancy's original pencil drawing. As you see blue sky background was added later in the cover production.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jacek For This Useful Post: