Eire Apparent
    - under construction-

Active: 1967-70

Style: Psychedelic

Lineup:

• Track promo postcard circa 1967-68
      l-to-r: Stewart, Lutton, Graham, McCullough
    Bio:

Eire Apparent was in fact the last lineup of The People, a band whose history dates back through several lineup changes to the early 1960's. The People had been managed by David Robinson and had moved from North Ireland to Blackpool and then spent a highly successful and influential period in Dublin, before setting off for London in May 1967. There they endured a tough couple of months until old manager Dave Robinson got them a gig at the UFO club. This brought them to the attention of Mike Jeffreys & Chas Chandler which led to a new management deal, a name change to Eire Apparent courtesy of Chandler, and support slots on the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Move and Pink Floyd tour of November - December 1967.

Eire Apparent's recording debut was an excellent single for Track Records, "Follow Me" / "Here I Go Again". Released in January 1968, it failed to take off and Track did not pick up the option for an LP. Nevertheless the band's fortunes were picking up especially in North America, where they spent most of 1968 touring as support act either for Hendrix or The Animals, and often with the Soft Machine on the same bill, as all these acts were managed by Jeffreys & Chandler. Unfortunately Henry McCullough was busted in Canada sometime in the first half of 1968 and had to leave the country to avoid a jail sentence. The rest of the band were understandably reluctant to quit the tour, and so McCullough's place was taken by Mick Cox (ex The End, The Alleykatz). The band eventually signed a deal with Buddah Records and were the first non-USA act on the label.

With a new lead guitarist and Jimi Hendrix in the producer's chair, the band recorded it's debut LP for Buddah Records in October 1968. "Sunrise" is a mix of rock, 60s pop, psychedelia and some early progressive moves. It's diverse nature is held against it in some quarters but it's long been a staple for psych collectors. It sold reasonably well and was kept in print for some years. In fact it was once a common bargin bin find, but now it's become somewhat harder to find in good condition.

One track on the album "Mr. Guy Fawkes" became a hit for Australian psych band The Dave Miller Set, who recorded a fantastic version of the song. It is a rare example of a cover outdoing an original by some margin.

Mick Cox was replaced by David 'Tiger' Taylor (ex Teddie & The Tigers) in November 1968.

Eire Apparent in 1969, l-to-r: Stewart, Lutton, Tiger Taylor, McCullough

Back in London in early 1969, the band recorded a new song "Rock'N'Roll Band" for the A-side of their second single and spent the rest of January touring in Europe with Hendrix. Rough tapes survive of the bands performances in Stuttgart (January 19) and Vienna (January 22nd) on this tour. Their half hour set included covers of "The Price of Love" (Everly Brothers), "Highway 61 Revisited" (Dylan) and "Gloria" (Them), the later including extended instrumental sections complete with drum solo. At the end of this tour the relationship with Mike Jeffreys and Hendrix ended, and the band returned to the UK without management or record company support.

Eire Apparent at Jimi Hendrix's Brook Street flat in London in 1969, l-to-r: Taylor, Arty Ripp of Buddah Records, Graham, Hendrix, Stewart, Lutton [original photo: Barrie Wenszell]

The rest of 1969 was spent by the band trying to establish itself in the UK but they paid the price for concentrating on touring in the USA and being signed to a US label. They found themselves starting from scratch again. The second single came out in March 1969 to promote the album. "Rock'N'Roll Band" is very good but the B-side, "Yes I Need Someone" is superb. It failed to chart. On April 20th they recorded three tracks for a John Peel BBC Top Gear session which have never been released. After a long year spent touring the small clubs and universities in Britain and with nothing to show for it, the band split at the end of 1970.

Ticket for what must have been one of Eire Apparent's final shows
    at Redditch College (near Birmingham) on 13 December 1969

Ernie Graham released a solo album on Liberty Records in 1971, backed by members of Brinsley Schwartz, and was involved in Help Yourself (briefly, in 1972) and then formed Clancy.

Henry McCullough was briefly in Sweeney's Men and later joined Joe Cocker's Grease Band, and also released two solo albums on George Harrison's Dark Horse label. His list of guest appearances is very long indeed.

Tiger Taylor later formed Anno Domini. He actually left Eire Apparent shortly before the end, and his short-lived replacement was Peter Tolson (guitar/vocals), now better know for his time with the Pretty Things in the mid-70s.

Chrissie Stewart was later in Frankie Miller's Full House and Spooky Tooth.

Dave Lutton played drums with Heavy Jelly, Steve Ellis and Marc Bolan.

Mick Cox later fronted his own Mick Cox Band and recorded with Van Morrison in the 80s.

Discography:

• Follow Me / Here I Go Again
    7" - Track Records - 604 019 - UK - 19 January 1968 - no PS
    A Chas Chandler Production.
    A-side credited to Shaw/Landon/Keen, B-side to Lutton/Graham/McCullogh/Stewart

• Let Me Stay / Yes, I Need Someone
    7" - Buddah Records - BDA 67 - USA - 1969 - no PS, stock and promo copies

• Rock'N'Roll Band / Yes, I Need Someone
    7" - Buddah Records - 201 039 - UK - March 1969 - no PS
    7" - Buddah Records - 201 039 - Germany - 1969 - PS
    7" - Buddah Records - 2011 117 - UK - March 1972 - no PS
    7" - Buddah Records - ??? - Italy - 200? - PS, free with "Peace &Amp; Love" magazine
    • Yes, I Need Someone / Rock'N'Roll Band
    7" - Buddah Records - 60005 - Argentina 1969? - no PS, 33rpm, possibly promo only

Notes: A-side recorded at Polydor Studios, London on 5 January 1969, produced by Carlos Olms. Jimi Hendrix plays guitar on "Rock 'N' Roll Band".

• Sunrise
    LP - Buddah Records - BDS 5031 - USA - 1969
    LP - Buddah Records - 203 021 - UK - 1969
    LP - Buddah Records - 203 021 - Germany - 1969
    LP - Buddah Records - ??? - Argentina - 1969
    CD - Repertoire Records - REP4174WZ - Germany - 1991
    CD - Sequel Records - NEX 199 - UK - 1993
    LP - Akarma Records - AK 302 - Italy - 2004
    • Jimi Hendrix Presents Eire Apparent
    LP - Buddah/Nippon Columbia Records - YS-2170-DA - Japan 1969 - white label promos exist

• side one:
      Yes, I Need Someone (Cox, Lutton, Stewart)
      Got To Get Away (Graham)
      The Clown (Stewart)
      Mr. Guy Fawkes (Cox)
      Someone Is Sure to (Want You) (Graham)

side two:
      Morning Glory (Cox)
      Magic Carpet (Graham)
      Captive in the Sun (Cox)
      Let Me Stay (Cox)
      1026 (Graham, Stewart)

CD bonus track:
      Rock & Roll Band (Graham, Taylor)
    Notes: Recorded at TTG and Sunset-Highland Studios, Los Angeles on 30th October 1968.
    Produced by Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix plays guitar on all tracks. He also played on the non-LP A-side "Rock 'N' Roll Band", recorded at Polydor Studios, London on 5 January 1969, produced by Carlos Olms. Backing vocals on "The Clown" by Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine) and Noel Redding (Jimi Hendrix Experience).
    The Japanese issue is retitled "Jimi Hendrix presents Eire Apparent".

• BBC Top Gear Session
    Recorded 20.03.1969

• tracks:
      Yes I Need Someone
      Highway 61 Revisited
      Gloria
    Notes: Two of these tracks ("Yes I Need Someone" and "Gloria") were included as bonus tracks on a bootleg compilation CD of Pretty Things BBC recordings titled The Forgotten Beebs (Tendolar 2008), originating in Japan. The CD claims these tracks were recorded with Peter Tolson in the lineup, but this is unconfirmed.

Archive Releases:

• Stuttgart 11 January 1969
    [download]

• tracklisting:
      The Price of Love
      Highway 61 Revisited
      Mama Talk To Your Daughter
      Gloria
    Notes: This is the band's complete set, recorded at the Liederhalle in Stuttgart on 11 January 1969 as opening act for The Jimi Hendrix Experience. The front cover shows Tiger Taylor, the back cover Mick Cox -- but it's Tiger Taylor on guitar, playing through Hendrix's marshall amp.

• Grosser Saal Konzerthaus Vienna Austria 1969
    [download]
    Live 22 January 1969

• tracklisting:
      The Price of Love [6:21]
      Highway 61 Revisited [3:31]
      Rock And Roll Band [5:20]
      Gloria [16:25]
    Notes: This is the band's complete set, recorded in Vienna on 22 January 1969 as opening act for The Jimi Hendrix Experience. The running time is 44 minutes approx but there's quite a lot of tuning up and between song chat.

Tour Dates: (under construction)

Sept 1968 US tour supporting Hendrix with Vanilla Fudge and Soft Machine
    Sun 1 Sep 1968 - Red Rocks Amphitheatre Morrison, CO, US
    Wed 4 Sep 1968 - Memorial Coliseum Phoenix, AZ, US
    Thu 5 Sep 1968 - Swing Auditorium San Bernardino, CA, US
    Fri 6 Sep 1968 - Seattle Center Coliseum Seattle, WA, US
    Sat 7 Sep 1968 - Pacific National Exhibition Coliseum Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sun 8 Sep 1968 - Coliseum Spokane, WA, US
    Sun 15 Sep 1968 - Sacramento Memorial Auditorium Sacramento, CA, US

Jan 1969 European tour
    Sat 11 Jan 1969 - Musikhalle Hamburg, Germany
    Sun 12 Jan 1969 - Rheinhalle Düsseldorf, Germany
    Mon 13 Jan 1969 - Studio Dumont Cologne, Germany
    Tue 14 Jan 1969 - Halle Münsterland Münster, Germany
    Thu 16 Jan 1969 - Meistersingerhalle Nuremberg, Germany
    Fri 17 Jan - Jarhunderthalle Frankfurt, Germany
    Sun 19 Jan - Kultur Und Kongresszentrum Liederhalle Stuttgart, Germany
    Tue 21 Jan 1969 - Hall 16, Wacken, Strasbourg, France
    Wed 22 Jan 1969 - Grosser Saal, Konzerthau, Vienna, Austria
    Thu 23 Jan 1969 - Sportpalast, Berlin, Germany

Compilation Appearances:

• various artists - Backtrack 1
    LP - Track Records - 2407 - UK
    track: Follow Me

The People

Active: 1964-67

Style: Psychedelic Soul

Lineup:

• Ernie Graham - lead vocals, guitar
    • George O'Hara - guitar
    • Eric Wrixon - keyboards, replaced by Henry McCullough in 1966
    • Mike Niblett - bass
    • Davy Lutton - drums

• The People in November 1965, pictured with Julie Grant.
      l-to-r: Ernie Graham, Eric Wrixon, Mike Niblett, (Julie Grant), George O'Hara and Davy Lutton.
      The People backed Julie during this tour.

Bio:

Belfast beat/soul group best known for the final 1967 lineup of Ernie Graham, Davy Lutton, Henry McCullough & Chris Stewart who were renamed Eire Apparent by their manager Chas Chandler.

The People developed out of an earlier beat group called The Telstars. In 1966 they moved to Blackpool, following in the footsteps of The Wheels, who'd gained a huge local following there. Eric Wrixon left The People for The Wheels during the Blackpool period, appearing on their final "Kicks" single (1966). His replacement was guitarist Henry McCullough, late of Gene & The Gents, who suggested the band move to Dublin, where he'd heard they could do much better financially than the tough living they were eeking out in Blackpool.

The People had a huge impact on the Dublin beat scene. Their manager during this period was Dave Robinson, later head of Stiff Records. They left for London in May 1967 and became Eire Apparent.

The People's only vinyl appearance is on the Ireland's Greatest Sounds LP released on Ember Records in 1966. I don't know the exact lineup on these recordings. According to several sources, both tracks feature Henry McCullough on guitar. Mike Niblett was bassist from late 1965 through all of 1966 and therefore is very likely to appear on the recordings aswell. Guitarist Tiger Taylor was briefly a member of the band during 1965 and left shortly after Mike Niblett joined to join Teddie & The Tigers, and so he's unlikely to feature. He would later join Eire Apparent, of course.

Mike Niblett was in many other bands including The Stellas; Eric Wrixon had been a founding member of Them and was later in The Trixons, the fledling Thin Lizzy and the late 1970s reformed version of Them.

Discography:

• various artists - Ireland's Greatest Sounds
    LP - Ember Records - FA 2034 - UK - February 1966
    tracks: I'm With You / Well... All Right

• various artists - Belfast Beat Maritime Blues
    CD - Big Beat Records - CDWIKD 152 - UK - 1997
    tracks: I'm With You / Well... All Right

Mick Cox

Active: 1964-

Style: Rock

Bio:

Mick Cox (born Gillingham 1943) was posted during military service to Northern Ireland where he met local musicians and played in the local scene where he met such guitarists as Henry McCullough (of The People and Eire Apparent) and Billy Hollywood of the Alleykatz. His brother John Cox was another guitarist who also played in local Belfast bands. John Cox almost became a member of The Just Five and lived with Sam Mahood for a period.

Mick Cox replaced Billy Hollywood in the Alleykatz in 1964 and toured with them and other bands before returning to London in 1967.

On the recommendation of his brother John who'd meanwhile played with Van Morrison in the USA, Mick joined Van Morrison's band in 1967, playing the same Northern circuit he'd earlier played with the Alleykatz, before Van returned to the states. He then got the call from Dave Robinson to come to the USA to replace Henry McCullough in Eire Apparent after Henry has been deported for possession sometime before the Summer of 1968. While McCullough's name is frequently associated with Eire Apparent, Cox remains less known. Even though he was with the band for a relatively short period, it was arguably the most fruitful of the band, during which they toured with Jimi Hendrix and recorded their sole album with Hendrix's help. Cox plays on the LP and his name appears in half the writing credits. He left Eire Apparent in November 1969, a few months before the LP's release. His replacement was Tiger Taylor.

Mick formed his own band Magnet (1969-71) who has some success in the USA, releasing a single. He then toured with Arrival (1971-72) and the post- Arrival outfit Kokomo (1974) but he doesn't play on any of either bands records. He worked again with Van Morrison playing on the "Common One" (1979), "Poetic Champions Compose" (1985) and "The Philosophers Stone" (1998) albums as well as live work.

In between he released his solo album on Capitol Records in 1973.

See Mick's site for further details of his career.

Discography:

Magnet - Something To Remember Me By / Everything
    7" - Date - 1671 - USA - 1970
    7" - CBS - 4844 - UK - 1970
    7" - CBS - 4844 - Germany - 1970 - PS
    7" - CBS - 4844 - France - 1970 - PS
    Lineup: Mick Cox, Tony Kelly, Keith Evans, Eddie Middleton.

The B-side is late 60s pop with a brass section. It's pleasant but don't fall for dealers describing it as 'prog' or 'glam psych'.

Mick Cox Band - Stuck On You / (Interstellar) Ranger
    7" - Capitol Records - 3675 - USA - 1973

Mick Cox Band - s/t
    LP - Capitol Records - ST-11175 - USA - 1973
    Charted in the USA, registering sales of over 50,000 copies.

• side one:
      Stuck on You
      This Time Round
      Ranger
      Queens Avenue

side two:
      White Lie
      Redirecting Mary
      Ego Trap
      Questions
    Notes:
    The lineup on the album is Mick Cox (guitar), Tony O'Malley (Arrival/Kokomo) (vocals), Chrissie Stewart (ex Eire Apparent)(bass), Mick Weaver (keyboards), Peter Arnesen (keyboards), Alan Skidmore (sax), Andrew Steele (ex-Herd) (drums).

Mick Cox - Compose Yourself
    CD - label? - ??? - UK - 1995

See also: Anno Domini, Clancy, Ernie Graham, Grease Band, Henry McCullough

, Teddie & The Tigers External Links: www.mickcox.net

Help!: We need your help to complete this entry. If you can tell us more about this band then please do! We welcome any corrections, missing details, connections to other bands, where are they now, etc. We also need photos, scans, copies of releases or live or demo recordings, and any other memorabilia gathering dust in the attic.

http://www.irishrock.org/irodb/bands/eireapparent.html

Last edited by Ezy Rider; 02-21-11 at 02:07 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Eire Apparent and Jimi Hendirx

does anybody have a copy of the Brook Street flat picture of Eire Apparent with Jimi please?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 783 Posts

Re: Eire Apparent and Jimi Hendrix

??? I posted this with pictures and these are suddenly gone!? I sent the owner of the website an email with a link to CTT and other info on EA, as rock-lovers helping out each other, and this is the result? I even didn't get a reply.

Well, if you want to see the pictures, I refer to the link at the bottom.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 834 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gesikang View Post
    ??? I posted this with pictures and these are suddenly gone!? I sent the owner of the website an email with a link to CTT and other info on EA, as rock-lovers helping out each other, and this is the result? I even didn't get a reply.

Well, if you want to see the pictures, I refer to the link at the bottom.
    to see pix just place cursor over where the picture's supposed to be (a white square w/red 'x' on my machine), right-clik and got to 'show picture'. Picture will appear. (some users may have to clik on link, go to that website and then return to this post and do the right-clik thing I described).

You could save all the hassle and edit the post, i.e. delete everything but the link.

Last edited by MourningStar; 02-21-11 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 374 Posts

You state in the discography that Jimi plays guitar on all tracks (I'm not so sure about that but I'll take your word for it.) Interesting that Noel Redding and Robert Wyatt are singing backup on "The Clown" but I am sure that Jimi also sings background vocals on one or more cuts: "Mr. Guy Fawkes" ? "Got To Get Away" ? "Magic Carpet" ? What do your sources say about that?

I do thank you for your research and I do wish the pic links worked properly instead of having to right click them. I used to think of "Sunrise" as the "secret" Hendrix lp, from the same period as "Electric Ladyland" it's a treasure!
    Last edited by Roland Stone; 02-22-11 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 783 Posts

RS, unfortunately not my work, just a website I found which looked good. You can try to contact the owner for more info?

And MS, thanks for the explanation, I was thinking too rashly, my bad. I do prefer however to see the picture immediately :-)

Thanks

I imagine it's a long shot but if anyone has a lead on how to reach Chris Stewart or Dave Lutton I would very much appreciate it.

cheers!
    Chris

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 441 Posts

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just another example of the genius that was jimi hendrix......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 644 Posts

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zombywoof57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I wonder if modern technology might allow the digital removal of Eire Apparent's lead vocals. I'd pay to hear that!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 644 Posts

i bet Karsten can do it???

Thanks

sure it can if you find the original multi track. Not a bad idea...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doron View Post
    sure it can if you find the original multi track. Not a bad idea...
    Although unconfirmed the consensus seems to be that the master tapes were wiped and reused at Buddha.

Thanks

Eire Apparent were featured in the 'Record round-up' section of the Kerryman newspaper on April 5 1969:

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horizon For This Useful Post: