5. Earth Blues
    6. Machine Gun
    7. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    8. We Gotta Live Together
    9. Wild Thing
    10. Hey Joe
    11. Purple Haze

** indicates a encore performance

Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 05-21-11 at 10:13 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Eyes For This Useful Post:

crazy_cat Guest

Re: 1970-01-01 The Fillmore East Auditorium, New York USA

1st & 2nd show - http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...-Vol.2-Revised
    Soundboard, video soundboard and video audio composite. 2nd & low gen

Thanks

I've looked for information concerning the incomplete Earth Blues track everywhere and have still come up empty handed. I've watched the BOG video and listened to the revised BOG merges provided by members here and it seems like the complete audio for this song does not exist. Does anybody know the circumstances that led to only the latter 2/3rds of the performance to exist? thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LysAd25 View Post
    I've looked for information concerning the incomplete Earth Blues track everywhere and have still come up empty handed. I've watched the BOG video and listened to the revised BOG merges provided by members here and it seems like the complete audio for this song does not exist. Does anybody know the circumstances that led to only the latter 2/3rds of the performance to exist? thanks!
    It was recorded professionally. You keep finding the recording that was taken along with the film, IE not complete. this is where the film cuts back in, so this is where the audio begins.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger View Post
    It was recorded professionally. You keep finding the recording that was taken along with the film, IE not complete. this is where the film cuts back in, so this is where the audio begins.
    So no complete audio of that track exists? Shame that there is only the one professional recording/video, I figured a bootleg or other source would've existed but I guess not.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

you'd think EH would have it as all 4 shows were recorded, but i always asked the same question

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LysAd25 View Post
    So no complete audio of that track exists? Shame that there is only the one professional recording/video, I figured a bootleg or other source would've existed but I guess not.
    No no, it exists, but we do not have it. ;-)

Floor Cam: didn't film Earth Blues
    Balcony Cam: filmed last part (this is what we have)
    Pro Audio Recording: recorded all (EH has)

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof57 View Post
    you'd think EH would have it as all 4 shows were recorded, but i always asked the same question
    They do indeed have it. This year's BOG DVD is patched with the pro recordings, but it skips right into where the video does. (still incomplete, but better quality)

Thanks

Ah, I get it now, I just hope I can survive until a lot more of this withheld music gets released. Wonder what Jimi would've thought about all the greed surrounding the ownership oh his music nowadays, but I think I already have a good idea. Thanks for the info DD.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger View Post
    No no, it exists, but we do not have it. ;-)

Floor Cam: didn't film Earth Blues
    Balcony Cam: filmed last part (this is what we have)
    Pro Audio Recording: recorded all (EH has)

They do indeed have it. This year's BOG DVD is patched with the pro recordings, but it skips right into where the video does. (still incomplete, but better quality)
    WTF...why not give the newer video the pro-recording and patch it with the old recording, holy jeebus christo, i wanna slap EH with a large trout

Thanks
    Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,005 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Thursday 01 January 1970
    New York City, The Fillmore East, 105 Second Avenue/6th Street, New York, U.S.A. BOGs
    Two shows at 19:30 and 21:00
    Support: Voices of East Harlem
    Promoter: Bill Graham
    Film: Most of the show B&W
    Audience: 2,639 sold out
    * vocal by Buddy Miles

Songs 1st show:

Who Knows (9)
    Machine Gun (12)
    Them Changes (5) (New York Rock & Roll Ensemble & Buddy Miles) *
    Power Of Soul (43)
    Stepping Stone (15)
    Foxy Lady (75)
    Stop (3) (Jerry Ragavoy & Mort Schuman) *
    Earth Blues (14)
    Burning Desire (5)
    Creem (Vol. 2 #9) ‘Hendrix And Miles Dead At The Fillmore’ review by John Woodruff: “It’s very difficult for me to say this but probably the most disappointing musical experience I’ll have in 1970 already happened. What has Jimi Hendrix been doing up in Woodstock? With each song of the set I found myself starting to compromise - telling myself that next song he will explode, but that next song never came. I am dumbfounded at the thought that I could predict Hendrix musically. It took me a few measures each song and I had it under my belt. I sat back miserably half amazed to wait out the rest of the song. At one point he even felt it necessary to apologise, saying they were jamming and he thanked the audience for sitting through it. What in hell has he been doing up in Woodstock? He was enjoying it, too, giving a benign smile and nod each time the band followed one of his changes. I wasn’t enjoying it at all. I was thinking that if the audience had charged him to practice in front of them, it would have been a much better concert.
    Looking at his new group: Billy Cox is an ex Chicago bluesman [sic] who probably should have remained one. He is a more than capable bassist - better than Redding might ever be. His stage presence is lacking which is a serious fault when you are one of three. He was very smooth and chose to remain that way, instead of sticking his neck out a little to create something new. Hendrix seemed very happy with him. The only way I can begin to resolve anything in my mind about Cox is in this far-fetched speculation; if Redding played the bass on Ladyland’s ‘Watchtower’, then Hendrix has definitely lost something good; but if Hendrix played that bass line, then in Cox, he has found someone that, hopefully, he will cut a good side with someday. Buddy Miles is a different story altogether. In fact, I think Miles is the biggest reason why Hendrix was unimpressive. One day Hendrix and he got together and cut ‘Rainy Day’ which, up to that time, proved to be one of the biggest successes in rock music. That’s where it began for those two, and to my mind after seeing them together, that’s where it ended. Miles has very little imagination, if any - physically appearing to do much more than he actually is. He is said to have given A Band Of Gypsy’s (their name) a good soulful influence. To my mind, Hendrix always had soul - it wasn’t the Sly Stone or the James Brown type - it was the Hendrix type and it was rich. Now it is the Buddy Miles type with a lot of fast guitar work on the side. Give me Mitchell any day. He pushed Hendrix out into new ideas all the time. I had always speculated on that, and now I feel confirmed. Mitchell is incredible; Miles, well, he’s a drummer. If anyone is counting on that last ‘Experience’ tour to materialize, don’t hold your breath. The New York Post allegedly reported an interview with Jimi in which he said that he would never even consider playing with Redding again. He also said that Miles would be taking most of the vocals, since he never felt he could sing, anyway. That makes me sick.
    After having played only one familiar song during the set, Hendrix rounded out the set with a thing called Earth Blues Today. This seemed to be the only new song which leaned towards jumping the boundaries of ‘Ladyland’, but it ultimately held back. The band then left the stage as the audience applauded. One or two muffled cries for more could be heard, and then everything was quiet. No encore. I heard the next day that the late show was much better - he based his set on already recorded material. They also had a few encores. That was very nice.”
    Rolling Stone (07 February) review by Lorraine Alterman: “The Fillmore East blasted the new year in with the debut of Jimi Hendrix’s new group, A Band of Gypsys. But, the Hendrix of the first day of 1970 was subdued compared to the Experience of the sixties. With Buddy Miles on drums and Billy Cox on bass, Hendrix ‘s one concession to the past was a rendition of Foxy Lady during which he bent his knees, leaned back and played the guitar from his crotch. On New Year’s Eve it was reported he did his teeth pickin’ routine, but otherwise the tricks are gone. Instead Hendrix stands still and concentrates on playing his guitar better than ever. Unfortunately, A Band Of Gypsys doesn’t quite measure up to Hendrix ‘s art. Cox an old friend of Hendrix, provides solid support on bass, but Miles insists on grabbing his share of the spotlight as a singer. The drummer seems to suffer from the delusion that he is another Otis Redding when neither his styling nor his voice have anything to distinguish him from the run-of-the-mill R & B singer. Most of the songs are new and Hendrix admitted to the audience that they weren’t yet completed but the band was having fun jamming anyway. Only one number Machine Gun stands out as truly exciting. Hendrix dedicated it to all the soldiers in Detroit, New York, Chicago and, oh yes, Vietnam. Punctuated by the rat-tat-tat of the drums, sounding like machine gun fire, the number captures the tension and violence of the revolutionary struggle. Hendrix’s guitar wails with the cry of the streets and the sound of sirens. Although the lyrics were impossible to hear over the thunder of the band, the music is message enough. The rest of the songs-including one called Trying To Be and another Earth Blues Today, which Hendrix said is about ‘a whole lot of people trying to get their thing together and a whole lot of other people fucking them up ‘- tend to sound very much alike. Stylistically they aren’t far from Purple Haze days. […] At the first show on New Years Day, the audience really let loose with cheers only on the old ‘Foxy Lady’. In all fairness, however, his second show reportedly went over much better especially when he and Miles sang a plea for unity about how we’ve all got to live together, a song they did together in a jam at the Newport ’69 festival in Los Angeles. If the fans can forget the visual show and if Hendrix can come up with a new approach to material for A Band Of Gypsys, he’ll remain heavy on the scene.”

Songs 2nd show:

Stone Free (27)
    Them Changes (7) (New York Rock & Roll Ensemble & Buddy Miles)*
    Power Of Soul (44)
    Message To Love (25)
    Earth Blues (151)
    Machine Gun (13)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (64)
    We Gotta Live Together (2) (Sly Stone & Buddy Miles) *
    Wild Thing (28) (James ‘Chip Taylor’ Voight)
    Hey Joe (52) (Billy Roberts)
    Purple Haze (84)

New York Post (02 January) ‘Spaceman Jimi Is Landing’ backstage interview/review by Alfred ‘Al’ Aronowitz: “Jimi Hendrix wants to come back down to earth, but will his audience let him? There were people who walked out on his first set last night, refugees from the noise, but there’s music in Jimi ‘s guitar as well as sensationalism, By the time the second set ended, at 3.00 this morning, the audience was on it’s feet, clapping to the music and singing along ‘We got to live together, we got to live together.‘ After it was all over Bill Graham had to come up to the dressing room and tell him that it was probably the best set ever played on the stage of the Fillmore East. Jimi had chosen the new year and, as he put it, the new decade to unveil his new trio ...
    AA: ‘What’s the reason for the change?’
    Jimi: ‘Earth, man, earth, [with my old group, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the music had been too far out in space.] Now I want to bring it down to earth, I want to get back to the blues, because that’s what I am.”
    AA - The new group has a new repertoire, but during his first set last night. Jimi was still waving his freak flag. […] But Jimi knows there’s a change happening in music. With the trend back to the acoustical guitar, what will he do with his three amplifiers?
    During his first set you could sense his struggle, trying to get back to simplicity, but afraid it would not be accepted by an audience that had come to hear the same old Jimi. Jimi: ‘That first set was really tight’
    AA: ‘[He said] afterwards. He was sitting in his dressing room when the clock pushed four and he was still jiggling and humming to himself, even after nine encores, or was it ten?
    Jimi: ‘It was scary. We spent 12 to 18 hours a day practising this whole last week, straight ahead, and then we went into a little funky club and jammed down there to test it out and see how the air was. Buddy’s going to do most of the singing from now on. I’d rather just play. I never sang before, in England they made me sing, but Buddy has the right voice, he’s going to do the singing from now on.‘
    AA: ‘At the volume Jimi plays, Buddy’s voice cut through the sound much more easily than Jimi ‘s. When Jimi sang you couldn’t hear him. There were two shows on New Years eve and two shows last night, and Jimi had them videotaped and recorded. By the eighth encore this morning Fillmore owner Graham was dancing in the wings ordering the house lights on, telling the footlights to play on the crowd, commanding that the white light show screen be lit and finally running out of ideas to let everybody present know that this was for the Fillmore East a very special event.
    There had been plans for Jimi to go back on tour with the Experience accompanied once again by Mitch Mitchell on drums and Noel Redding on bass, but after the show Jimi had changed his mind –
    Jimi: “With Mitch, maybe, but not with Noel, for sure. That’s another thing. This is more of a real thing. We’re trying to get it on its feet. We’re waiting for Stevie Winwood. If I can get a hold of him and he agrees to it, that’ll be another voice. We’ll have harmony for days.”
    AA -The name of Jimi’s new group, incidentally, is A Band Of Gypsys –
    Buddy: “That’s what we are, that’s what all musicians are, Gypsies.”

02 No gig, New York City
    03 No gig, New York City
    04 No gig, New York City
    05 No gig, New York City
    06 No gig, New York City
    Wednesday 7 January 1970
    Record Plant, New York City.
    BOG recording
    06 No gig, New York City
    06 No gig, New York City
    06 No gig, New York City
    06 No gig, New York City
    06 No gig, New York City
    06 No gig, New York City
    06 No gig, New York City
    Wednesday 14 January 1970
    Juggy Sound Studios, New York City
    Jimi & Eddie review concert tapes
    Thursday 15 January 1970
    Friday 16 January 1970
    BOG recording
    Billy & Buddy’s final pay cheques are authorised with Jimi’s signature.
    Saturday 17 January 1970
    Jimi & engineers only, guitar overdubs & mixing
    Sunday 18 January 1970. No gig, New York City
    Monday 19 January 1970
    BOG recording
    Tuesday 20 January 1970
    Jimi & engineers only, guitar, vox overdubs & mixing
    Wednesday 21 January 1970
    Jimi & Eddie mixing BOG tapes.
    BOG recording
    Thursday 22 January 1970
    Jimi & Eddie mixing BOG single.
    Friday 23 January 1970
    BOG recording, final session.
    The BOG is over apart from a one off charity concert for the Vietnam Moratorium in 5 day's time.
    Billy and Buddy get their final pay cheques, last week paid in lieu, plus $1,000 bonus.

24 No gig, New York City
    25 No gig, New York City
    26 No gig, New York City
    27 No gig, New York City
    Tuesday 28 January 1970
    Juggy Sound Studios? New York City
    According to roadie Gene McFadden, only, they rehearsed for the show[?] here:
    Ie That’s debateable.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: