Thread: 1970-05-04 'Timothy Leary Benefit', Village Gate, New York USA

Thanks

1970-05-04 'Timothy Leary Benefit', Village Gate, New York USA

Monday, May 4th, 1970

1. Hear My Train A Comin'
    2. Freedom
    3. Red House

Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 03-13-11 at 05:04 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dolly Dagger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 1970-05-04 'Timothy Leary Benefit', Village Gate, New York USA

4. The Following User Says Thank You to josephboggs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josephboggs View Post
    thank you great to see

Thanks

Link's dead

Thanks

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlygtr56 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlygtr56 View Post
    Same 40 or so second clip played repeatedly?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi_Uchihaeyez View Post
    Same 40 or so second clip played repeatedly?
    Yes, I see the [blue] film monitor shot atleast twice in there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 219 Posts

Thanks

I visited the Village Gate recently, too bad it's now a CVS now...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 219 Posts

here a working link (for the moment). The Village Gate video starts at 3:20 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ffMZ2OZN0ak

Attachment 20819

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to okla70homa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

Thank you
    carlygtr56 ...grabbed it before this one disappears too...
    J.L.

Thanks

I thank everyone who shared pictures and links.

Thanks

I thank everyone who shared pictures and links.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Monday 4 May 1970
    New York City, Village Gate, New York, USA
    Leary had recently been sentenced to an outrageously viscious 20 years (consecutive) for the possession of a couple of roaches, and a tiny amount of weed that he had taken the rap for 3 years previous - as had a few others been similarly sentenced at the time who were percieved to be dangerous ‘enemies of the state’ merely for the popularity of their utterances, for similarly tiny amounts of weed (so much for ‘free speech’).
    On this very day thirteen students were shot at Kent State University by National Guard. Four died and one was permanently paralysed. 11 days later (night of 14 May) two students were shot dead and very many wounded in a hail of police gun fire at the predominantly Afro-American Jackson State University under similar circumstances.
    The first ‘Holding Together’ benefit was on 16 April at the Family Dog in San Francisco, with Timothy Leary, poets: Allen Ginsberg, Michael McClure & Philip Lamantia.
    Jam – “Holding Together” benefit for Timothy Leary.
    Jimi Hendrix Experience [II]
    Johnny Winter (with Noel Redding as guest on bass);
    Grateful Dead;
    Jim Morrison and Alan Ginsberg (poetry readings)
    MC: Hugh ‘Wavy Gravy’ Romney.
    Filmed: colour, time – unknown
    Recorded: unknown, but likely
    Photos (colour) by ‘Samie’
    Songs:
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again;
    Freedom;
    Red House.
    [pertinent choice of tunes, eh? Ed.]
    Videotaped in B&W with sound (not in general circulation) ~ 20 minutes.
    [Is this in the possesssion of Janie Co.?]
    Videotaped in colour (part?) – silent? (small part in general circulation) ? minutes.
    ‘Samie’ [surname unknown, photographer. A lesson in pomposity: “Tim's wife was trying to raise money for his release and ‘I was asked to come and join the party’ [my-my how important you are, the party wouldn’t be complete without you and your camera – ha-ha-ha! ie ‘someone got me in’ Ed.]. I had met Jimi on a few occasions at Max's Kansas City, a local hang out for artists, photographers and interesting people in general... I was a fan a of Jimi for a while in his early career [ie I wasn’t interested after the psyche pop, first two? Ed.] and had met him in early 1967 [he only arrived back in mid-late summer! Ed.] at a record store when he could walk around on the street unrecognized and he [really?Ed.] invited my friends and I to hear him at a small club called the Salvation [either on 20 July 1967 or between 3 and 8 August 1967. Ed.] with the Experience trio.
    He was a very gentle man [you only ‘met him’ a couple of times in a bar - very briefly, if at all! Ed.] and his handshake was direct, firm but compassionate [a compassionate handshake – ha-ha-ha! Ed.] and not self-assertive which impressed me deeply [deeply impressed by a handshake? Weird! Ed.]. Jimi was comparable to Charlie Parker in his innovative talents to contemporary American music” [no he wasn’t, he was gigantic ie sold millions – unlike the relatively unknown Parker. You have already admitted you only liked his early stuff! Ed.]
    [Posting on the www, 4 March 2004]

Wavy Gravy tells it in Rolling Stone (August 69):
    "[...] we’re in this cement apple [ie New York City. Ed.] and this cat set up a benefit for Tim Leary and the ‘Holding Together’ stuff and it was in the basement of the Village Gate and they carried me in on a stretcher and it was the debut for my ‘all star cast’ [ie he was in an upper body and head plaster cast due to a back injury, with stars painted on it. Ed.]. Which, thank God, I was wearing, be*cause North Beach Marvin — do you know him? he's the heir to Green [Shield] Stamps — he's really totally insane, totally, totally insane, man — he has these sheep that he follows around and they kept galloping back and forth across my chest, I was laying on the floor, I was laying down there because, you know, and it was really a nice little sound, click, click, click, of the little hooves across the top of the plaster and I'm blasting 'em with my water pistol, you know, and screaming for Louis to get his — Louis really is anti-meat and screams, like, “The best flesh is newborn babies, why don't you eat newborn babies.” It would be right in the middle of Allen Ginsberg reading a poem and he lets out a scream — he wants a love-in, Easter Sunday, in the park. He tore my mind to the sky, just ripped out here and stuck in clouds. It was so odd, he had us going, cooking, and he runs up on the stage and dribbling sperm from his fingers "You've just seen a living orgasm.”
    He has this mountain — yeah, yeah, he's there and everybody's there, and Abbie Hoffman helped set this benefit up for Tim; Jimi Hendrix is gonna play, and Johnny Winters is gonna play, but nobody really knows that because it's all mysterious and ultra-hip and you know, there's a few people there, Allen Ginsberg is there and Alan Watts and everybody, Louis is screaming and doing his thing, and one of these limp chicks doing their thing, and everybody is zonked and it's a real hodgepodge, and it was rich. So they laid me down there and then suddenly it became a lawyer's lec*ture for Tim and what's going on in his jam [Twenty years jail sentence for possesion of a very small amount of marijuana. Ed.] till Allen Ginsberg gave me the mic’ and I said well, you know, there's a lot of people in ‘the revolution’ that say I'm not serious, you know, the Hog Farm (a ‘commune’ offshoot of Kesey’s original ‘Merry Pranksters’) is not serious. Panthers in Chicago when I was wandering around the streets with a three-foot inflatable banana and I found it to be a good tactic because the police would ask me where I was going, I'd say I was walking my banana and they'd just keep driving, man, they didn't want to talk about nothing. And that's the only way I can handle any of this, is if I can giggle at it and laugh at it , ‘cause it's so horrible, it's like a valve on a pressure cooker and when you can laugh that's just like, otherwise you're just going to wind up with beans all over the ceiling which in other words is bands in the sky and like McMurphy after Cuckoo's Nest [Ken Kesey’s book which funded his ‘Merry Pranksters’ project. Ed.], like your eyes are full of cement.
    JB: Something like the scenes the Indians are going through are kind of hard to laugh at or laugh with even.
    Bonnie Jean: It's not laugh at. Just doing it with joy.
    Wavy: We had a great time, we had a great time. We paid certain dues. It's like — sometimes I really go too far — like when Bobby Seale* was gagged, I was going to put a gag on — everybody was walking around in front of the big Chicago Picasso with gags on and I was going to gag the banana, too. but it's really good, but it was really bad, and I can dig it and I censored, right? [...]

*One of the founders of the Black Panthers party, [in]famously the original one of the ‘Chicago Eight’, later reduced to the more media friendly ‘Seven’, after Seale (the only ‘black’) was bound, gagged and sentenced separately. Jimi mentioned him several times on stage and also related Voodoo Chile (SR) to him, as he sometimes did to the Panthers, on occasion, declaring it the Panthers ‘Anthem’
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-29-15 at 12:24 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

Didn't Alan Douglas release a LP called "You Can Be Anyone This Time Around"...
    Timothy Leary(voice over added on)
    W/Jimi Hendrix (Bass),Stephen Stills (Guitar),John Sebastian (Guitar),
    Buddy Miles (Drums)
    September 30, 1969

01. Live And Let Die
    02. You Can Be Anyone This Time Around
    03. What Do You Turn On When You Turn On
    ---
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Ca...is_Time_Around

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    Didn't Alan Douglas release a LP called "You Can Be Anyone This Time Around"...
    Timothy Leary(voice over added on)
    W/Jimi Hendrix (Bass),Stephen Stills (Guitar),John Sebastian (Guitar),
    Buddy Miles (Drums)
    September 30, 1969

01. Live And Let Die
    02. You Can Be Anyone This Time Around
    03. What Do You Turn On When You Turn On
    ---
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Ca...is_Time_Around
    This release seems to have had no input from the musicians? Was their permission given? It was 'created' on a different date and for a different Leary benefit (election "campaign" - ha-ha-ha). The background music was just from an earlier unrelated jam that Douglas overdubbed with Leary's patter. I (or someone else) will be making a separate entry for this, I hope.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."