4. Lover Man
    5. Foxy Lady
    6. Red House
    7. Freedom
    8. Fire
    9. Hear My Train A Comin'
    10. Purple Haze
    11. Voodoo Child (slight return)

Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 03-13-11 at 05:56 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dolly Dagger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,191 Times in 202 Posts

Re: 1970-05-16 Temple University Stadium, Philadelphia, Pennsylvannia USA

Thanks

Last edited by Experiencereunited; 06-25-12 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

Thanks....was looking for another live Johnny B Goode that was available.......
    J.L.
    Attachment 7567

http://home.comcast.net/~loudfast/writeweb/jimiphil.htm

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 485 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 04-30-16 at 10:45 AM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Saturday 16 May 1970
    Philadelphia, Temple University Stadium, Pennsylvania, USA. JHE [II]
    Concert at ~ 24:00
    Tape: audience, 57:00 minutes, poor
    Film: 3 minutes silent colour 8mm.
    Support: The Steve Miller Band, The Grateful Dead, Cactus, Jam Factory
    JHE fee: $35,000
    Promoter: Lou Petro Productions and the Varsity Club
    Poster: Generic day-glo pink Jimi head photo
    Audience: 10,000, capacity: 25,547
    Tickets: $6.50
    Songs:

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (13) (Lennon & McCartney)
    Johnny B. Goode (2) (Chuck Berry)
    Machine Gun (19)
    Lover Man (30)
    Foxy Lady (82)
    Red House (66)
    Freedom (15)
    Fire (70)
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again (43)>
    <Midnight Lightning (11)
    Purple Haze (91)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (71)

Tim Bogert [Cactus – bass player]: “I remember that gig! I was so emotionally excited, playing in front of Jimi and it being our first gig - not to mention there were 20,000 [sic, actually 10,000] people standing out front! - that when we went into ‘Parchman Farm,‘ I attacked the bass so physically that my right hand cramped up into a claw like object and would not respond to any commands, Jimi was watching, and I was giving it everything I had because Jimi liked the band. Playing for a big audience is one thing ... but playing for Jimi Hendrix is another. I overdid it. And it was then that I started to develop my raking technique, so that would never happen again.”
    [Cactology CD booklet]

The Evening Bulletin (20 May) ‘Hendrix Concert a Bust’, ‘How to Take a Bath for $35,000’ report by Walter F. Naedele: “The word around town this week is that the Jimi Hendrix concert at the Temple Stadium last Saturday was one of the biggest financial losses for a single rock concert in the last few years. Lou Petro, one of the major backers of the concert, said last night: ‘We only lost $35,000.’ In showbiz argot, that is known as ‘taking a bath.’ Petro, operator of the 19th Hole Lounge in Glenside, hat backed some of the biggest- name concerts in the last few years: The Cream, Blind Faith, Tom Jones, each at the Spectrum. Jimi Hendrix is also con sidered a very big name. When he was last here, in 1969, he drew 15,500 out of a possible 17,000 to the Spectrum. Why did he fail this time? “It must have been the weather,” Petro says.
    It might also have been the extraordinary prices that Petro - or any other promoter today - has to put up in order to get top names in rock music. The word is that Petro had to guarantee Hendrix $50,000. ‘No, $35,000 was his nut,’ Petro says. That’s $35,000 against 60 to 70 percent of the gate, whichever is larger. There’s no doubt that the percentage of Saturday’s gate was not worth thinking about. The word is that Petro had to guarantee The Grateful Dead $9,000. ‘No, the Dead got $7,000,’ Petro says. Then, in descending order of financial significance, Petro also had to pay other thousands to the Steve Miller Blues Band, Cactus, and the Jam Factory. There is no way of knowing what Petro’s total cash outlay was, even before the concert began. Petro confirms that security guards cost $1,500, but suggests that Temple University took less than the reported rental of $10,000.
    The threatening rain that made Saturday such a bleak day might be reason that ticket sales at the gate were, as Petro confirms, almost nonexistent. But even Petro wonders why such a monster concert - and this was expected to be one of the major ones
    of the year - had such a poor advance sale. The outdoor Temple Stadium offered one of the largest seating capacities around - 20,547 in the stands, with another 5,000 expected on the field. (The Spectrum, the largest covered stadium in Philadelphia, seats 17,000 at most.)
    ‘We could have broken even with 13,000 people,’ Petro says. ‘But we had only about 10,000, and almost all of them were advance sales.’ Petro also confirms that some 2,000
    of the tickets turned in were counterfeit, adding to his loss. Yet he was working with prime material.
    […] But Creedence Clearwater Revival had drawn more than 14,000 to The Spectrum the night before. Could the same young audience support back-to-back concerts? The location might have had something to do with it. The Spectrum is right off the freeway, but how many know how to get to Temple Stadium? Yet Petro did considerable advance publicity. ‘We even had a marathon on WFIL radio for three days before the concert,’ Petro said, ‘playing their (the groups’) records, really talking it up, you know? This is the first concert in Philly that we’ve ever lost money on.’

Following this concert, Jimi became ill with glandular problems and shows at Cincinnati, St. Louis and Columbus were cancelled.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 657 Posts

"He's playing for the Temple University audience on the day following an ambush of students at Jackson State, on the heels of Ohio's Kent State massacre. With a pink feather propped in his headband, Jimi looks like Geronimo on the warpath. A scathing-mayhem Machine Gun riles Temple U. radicals. Pushing leads to insane extremes, the amps expel torrents and howls. Abruptly the tumult shuts down, catching the freaked-out crowd unaware. A full 10 seconds pass before their blown heads regain enough breath to cheer."

http://www.rockprophecy.com/hendrix70.html

Thanks
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 657 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UbR...ykA0OnslwvuRH_

From the Experience Hendrix post of the two first songs on Youtube:

On May 16, 1970, The Jimi Hendrix Experience performed at Temple Stadium in Philadelphia, PA. The event was promoted as a mini festival, with Cactus, the Grateful Dead, and the Steve Miller Band hired as opening acts. Before an audience estimated at 10,000, Jimi opened the performance with a high velocity medley of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," and "Johnny B. Goode" and never looked back. Don't miss this rare live concert recording featuring these 2 opening numbers.

Ironically, Jimi almost missed the concert entirely. "We drove down to Philadelphia from New York in two limousines," remembers Velvert Turner. "Along the way, one of the cars broke down. We had to let the band [road manager] Gerry Stickells take our car and drive on to the gig. "[Jimi's friend's] Devon, Colette, and I stayed behind with the driver and one of the road managers until we got the car running again. We made it to the gig just in time to see Jimi play."

Comments with eyewitness reports:

barry zome8 months ago
    I was blocks away from Temple stadium sitting on my friends house steps, when JImin Hendrix played his guitar the windows all vibrated, the sky was engulfed in sound waves, Far Out Man

Stephen Bryan4 months ago
    best $6.50 I ever spent. Girlfriend lost my class ring on the field. anybody find it?
    Stephen Bryan
    Stephen Bryan4 months ago
    +STraTyNobLeEy67 BlU3gRaSs; friends and I drove from Easton Md. I was 16 years old. we hung out in the middle of the field all day. rumors all day Jimi wouldn't show- but I knew he would. right before his set- girlfriend and I wormed our way towards the stage- when Jimi walked out we were 30 feet away......if I wasn't so technically challenged I'd show you the ticket stub- I have it in my hand right now.
    barry zome
    barry zome4 months ago
    It was said by the promoter of Woodstock that he wanted Roy Rodgers to close the show singing Happy Trails to you, but he turned it down, so Jimi Hendrix closed the show

Marty Fab.2 years ago
    Jimi played Red House on a Black Flying V. Nobody talked, nobody moved. We were spellbound... and Cactus was breathtaking!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Originally Posted by stplsd
    The Evening Bulletin (20 May) ‘Hendrix Concert a Bust’, ‘How to Take a Bath for $35,000’ report by Walter F. Naedele: “The word around town this week is that the Jimi Hendrix concert at the Temple Stadium last Saturday was one of the biggest financial losses for a single rock concert in the last few years. Lou Petro, one of the major backers of the concert, said last night: ‘We only lost $35,000.’ In showbiz argot, that is known as ‘taking a bath.’ Petro, operator of the 19th Hole Lounge in Glenside, hat backed some of the biggest- name concerts in the last few years: The Cream, Blind Faith, Tom Jones, each at the Spectrum. Jimi Hendrix is also con sidered a very big name. When he was last here, in 1969, he drew 15,500 out of a possible 17,000 to the Spectrum. Why did he fail this time? “It must have been the weather,” Petro says.
    It might also have been the extraordinary prices that Petro - or any other promoter today - has to put up in order to get top names in rock music. The word is that Petro had to guarantee Hendrix $50,000. ‘No, $35,000 was his nut,’ Petro says. That’s $35,000 against 60 to 70 percent of the gate, whichever is larger. There’s no doubt that the percentage of Saturday’s gate was not worth thinking about. The word is that Petro had to guarantee The Grateful Dead $9,000. ‘No, the Dead got $7,000,’ Petro says. Then, in descending order of financial significance, Petro also had to pay other thousands to the Steve Miller Blues Band, Cactus, and the Jam Factory. There is no way of knowing what Petro’s total cash outlay was, even before the concert began. Petro confirms that security guards cost $1,500, but suggests that Temple University took less than the reported rental of $10,000.

WTF It is not so difficult to do some simple maths, let me show you. $6.50 ticket x 10,000 = $65,000 * 0.6 (60%) = $39,000 and * 0.7 (70%) = $45,500

So either 60% or 70% both are greater than Jimi's "nut" of $35,000 so as he says "whichever is larger" we can only assume he got the percentage so either $39,000 or $45,500. If Jimi got 60%, Grateful Dead $7,000, rental $10,000 and security $1,500 that totals to $57,500, lets say another $5,000 for the other acts then the promoter got $2,500. I hope they got used to it because following along in history came Led Zeppelin and their manager Peter Grant insisted on 90% of the gate or no show. So with Jimi they got off lightly LOL
    Last edited by vkd108; 1 Week Ago at 11:50 AM. Reason: i made a mistake

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vkd108 View Post
    WTF It is not so difficult to do some simple maths, let me show you.
    "You talkin' to me?" heh-heh
    I didn't write the article. Anyway you forgot that 2,000 of the 10,000 were fake tickets. It's just a load of blah-blah 'pop' article anyway not an audit. The main point is, it was claimed only 10,000 turned up out of a possible 25,000 +.
    Last edited by stplsd; 1 Week Ago at 12:31 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."