2. Foxy Lady
    3. Red House
    4. Sunshine Of Your Love
    5. I Don't Live Today/3rd Stone From The Sun/I Don't Live Today
    6. Hear My Train A Comin'
    7. Spanish Castle Magic
    8. Purple Haze
    9. Star Spangled Banner

Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 03-12-11 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks

Re: 1969-01-08 Lorensbergs Cirkus, Gothenburg, Vaster Gotland, Sweden

There were 2 shows on this night. The setlist is from the late show.

crazy_cat Guest

Thanks

solid tour opener!
    Last edited by susep73; 01-13-14 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 483 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 04-01-16 at 05:19 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,316 Times in 1,841 Posts

Wednesday 8 January 1969
    Göteborg, Lorensbergs Cirkus, 35 LC Södra Vagen, Västra Götaland, Sweden. JHE
    In 1969 Hendrix embarked on what as the appearance of a Jimi Hendrix Experience ‘Farewell Tour’ (following a 38 day period from 1st December 68 with no gigs, he played 14 cities (14 dates - 24 shows) in 23 days, followed by 76 days during which he only played two gigs at the Albert Hall)
    Jimi had announced in late 1968 that he was finished with the Experience for ‘a while’.
    He decided to make a ‘Farewell’ TV special film from the Albert Hall concerts a la the Cream, but a bit more ambitious, with interviews and other footage from some of the German shows & Strasbourg etc.
    He started with a short, intense tour of Germany (10 days) with a couple of dates in Sweden & Denmark & one in France.
    No gigs for previous 38 days.
    Two shows at 18:30 and 21:00, both sold out
    Support: Gin House Blues Group; Burning Red Ivanhoe
    Audience: 2,000 per show.
    Promoter: Go-Town
    The JHE flew to Göteborg’s Torslanda Airpot from London Heathrow Airport Songs 1st show: unknown
    Songs 1st show: unknown

Songs 2nd show:

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (37)
    Foxy Lady (50)
    Red House (36)
    Sunshine Of Your Love (16) (Jack Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
    I Don’t Live Today (25)
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again (13)
    Spanish Castle Magic (21)
    Purple Haze (59)
    Star Spangled Banner (13) (instrumental, so John Stafford Smith)

Göteborgs-Tidningen (09 January) comment by unknown: “Unfortunately, Hansson and Karlsson didn’t perform at yesterday’s gala, to Hendrix’ disappointment - he had looked forward to playing in the same show as the pop duo, now famous even in England.”

Unknown Swedish newspaper, (09 January) ‘Jimi Hendrix’ Body Music’, review by Ingmar Glanzelius: “There is a kind of music that pays tribute to physical effortlessness. One says about Birgit Nilsson [World famous Swedish opera singer] that she sings with folded hands, but when she reaches the highest and most difficult notes, she unfolds her fingers to show how easy it is and that the music is just in the technique and the throat.
    We got a different kind of music yesterday evening at the Cirkus: the one which blows away mere technique and instead grabs the music with the whole body and strains. Jimi Hendrix’ music is clearly physical, partly because it’s so intense and strong that it forces its way into the listener’s body and partly because one can see and hear that the performers are working hard. Hendrix played several of the old songs from his records, but in a completely different way. He transforms them into fragments, references and springboards. They are a platform from which he jumps into the world of total sound. I don’t believe I have ever seen a player draw the last resource from his instrument like he did. The guitar rarely sounds like a guitar, but instead like an organ, a choir, an electronic apparatus or a cello. He played the strings with his hands, his stomach and his teeth. He had the courage to challenge melodies, harmonies and breaks: it became a form of music which lived to transform itself, not resemble itself. I have never heard Jimi Hendrix so free and bold.
    His conversation with bass and drums was flowing in large quantities and always very intense for two reasons: the whole trio worked hard, physically kicking each other through the sound.
    At the beginning of the evening, we heard Göteborg’s Ginhouse who relied more on melody and monotonous rhythm rather than on their ability to play. They let the rhythm plod on and that’s a risky manner of playing. A vital contrast against the rhythm is required. It was there with the guitarist but not with the singer, who was too Birgit Nilsson like. But there is power and joy at the basis of Ginhouse. It’s probably the courage that’s still lacking. Hansson and Karlsson didn’t come and were replaced by the Danish group Burning Red Ivanhoe, a fine and ambitious group, maybe too ambitious with the desire to break through. They offered nicely arranged songs with a lot of contrast, a shy flute player who turned out to be a straight harmonica player. They sang in Danish which could just as well have been Egyptian; I suspect by the group’s ironic attitude that it is more effective locally.”

Noel: “The wheels were turning and we off for Europe on the 8th and start that very night in Gothenburg. And why was Chas there? I didn’t understand why he was on the tour if he was no longer involved with us [Apparently he still was, as part of - 'Jeffery & Chandler' Ltd. Just not 'hands on' anymore]. Maybe he was with Eire Apparent, who joined the tour on the11th. On the whole, I can’t understand how anyone who saw this tour could have liked the group. Swedish TV did a lot of filming [one only. Ed.] and compared to the films that they did on the 1967 tour - it was a different group. Hendrix was sullen and removed. He rarely bothered to sing, the sparkle is gone, gone, gone... We were very tired and very bored and it showed. We were playing these same songs for so long it became sloppy. And it was over, over… as we looked over the crowd with dead eyes. No wonder Chas wasn’t interested when Jimi asked him in Gothenburg to become our manager.”

Kees de Lange: “Chas Chandler was in the audience... and Jimi dedicated the show twice to him from the stage. It’s interesting to note that Chandler [and Noel see above] claimed the show wasn’t up to much.”

Chas: ‘It was a dire concert... Well, you just could see there was trouble in the band, it didn’t work, there was friction, it wasn’t together...’

[Chas doing a bit of managing? He was at the 2nd, at least. He said later “it” was dire, but it sounds great on the tape. Maybe he was at the 1st as well, and it was crap? And this is what he remembered. Or, more likely, he’s confusing the 1st show in Stockholm? Ed]
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-01-17 at 08:12 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Guys,
    As a newbie here I thought I would ask the wiser Jimi heads about something I've been trying to work out?
    I've seen on a couple of lists a second Aud source for this date, one has it as 28.26min, and the second has it as only 4min as a filler on the end of one of the 1970-09-03 sources. Does anybody know firstly if there is a second source? How long it really is? And if at all possible, where it might be available?

Thanks for your help in advance
    Cheers
    Led_boots

Thanks

It's a very poor recording running much too slow, lasting no longer than 30 minutes. It sounds like it was recorded from a transistor radio with a hand held microphone. If there are requests, I can put up as a torrent

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi kees1954
    Would love to get it if you are up for it
    Thanks

Thanks

I'll have a try later this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Led_boots View Post
    Hi kees1954
    Would love to get it if you are up for it
    Thanks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm still having troubles with my computer set up. What I can do is put up Lorensberg on dropbox. Hope to do so today. Stay tuned (which this particular tape isn't )

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 282 Posts

That would be great thanks Kees!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    That would be great thanks Kees!
    Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xra3ohtuk...hZD7GMnDa?dl=0

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you so much Mr Kees

Yes, not exactly a 'hi fi' recording Maybe not going on my regular play list great to have though, doesn't seem to be around much as far as I can see.

Cheers

Led_boots

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Led_boots For This Useful Post: