7. Hear My Train A Comin'
    8. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    9. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
    10. Freedom
    11. Red House
    12. Foxy Lady

Audience Recording

8mm Resynced

Last edited by Gypsy Eyes; 03-03-11 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,234 Times in 203 Posts

Re: 1970-07-26 Sicks Stadium, Seattle, Washington USA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 489 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 04-02-16 at 09:18 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan369 View Post
    Audience link broken, here is funky drummers cleanup: http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=64083
    Is the microphone on?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spyder52 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,592 Times in 2,463 Posts

Sunday 26 July 1970
    Seattle, Sicks’ Stadium, Rainier Avenue, Washington, USA. JHE [II]
    Concert at 19:15
    Tape: stereo soundboard, 77:00 minutes, abysmal
    Film: 2 minutes silent 8mm colour
    With: Grand Funk Railroad, Steppenwolf and Jethro Tull
    Promoter: Concerts West, radio KJR and Northwest Releasing
    Poster: Jimi photo, by Washington Printing Company
    Songs:

Fire (76)
    Message To Love (39)
    Lover Man (37)
    Freedom (22)
    Red House (74)
    Foxy Lady (91)
    Machine Gun (26)>
    >The Star Spangled Banner (42) > (John Stafford Smith [music])
    >Purple Haze (100)
    >Drum solo
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again (49)>
    >Midnight Lightning (21)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (8)
    The New Rising Sun (Hey Baby) (6i)

Jimi returned home for the next date, spending time with his family. The concert was subjected to a torrential down pour which flooded out the stadium, and Jimi wasn’t particularly keen to perform.

Seattle Times (27 July) ‘Wet Crowd Catches Hendrix in Ballpark’ – review by Janine Gressel: “To paraphrase W. C. Fields, ‘T’warn’t a fit day out for man nor beast’. The out field grass was a soggy mat; the infield dirt a giant mud pie. Yet a fair-sized crowd braved Seattle’s fickle precipitation and huddled on the field and in the puddled stands to watch Jimi Hendrix perform at the Concert on the (wet) Ground at Sicks’ Stadium yesterday afternoon.
    The well-prepared brought large plastic sheets to sit on, small tents to shield their heads. Umbrellas dotted the field. Ingenious spectators wore ponchos made from giant plastic garbage bags. But many were ill-clothed and barefoot. And the day was cold.
    The scene was a far cry from the Janis Joplin concert on July 5, when the audience baked In the scorching sun. That day, the wait between bands was a welcome relief, a chance to wander around looking for friends or to seek the cool area beneath the grandstand and buy a soft drink.
    Yesterday, the time between the last band and Hendrix’s appearance - a wait of over an hour - left little to think about except the prospect of bagging the whole thing for the shelter of a car and a warm heater to thaw the toes on the trip home. The wait seemed endless, yet the stubborn Hendrix fans refused to give up. Few left.
    WHEN HENDRIX DID appear, the crowd rose to its feet and surged toward the tarpaulin-covered stage. Dressed in flaming colors, Hendrix spoke to the crowd. He seemed somewhat ill at ease, perhaps put off by the chill and drizzle - an understandable reaction. Hendrix played well, as usual. The spark and fire of his music were there, dampened only slightly by the rain. He played most of his hit songs, including ‘Foxey Lady’ and his rendition of the ‘Star Spangled Banner’ which leads into another Hendrix hit, ‘Purple Haze’ - a coupling made famous by his performance in the film, ‘Woodstock.’
    The drummer, Mitch Mitchell, did some remarkable percussion work. But, unfortunately, the amplifiers were poorly balanced and it was difficult to hear the bass-player.
    Shortly after Hendrix began another downpour pelted the crowd, scattering the unprotected to the stands. The acoustics in the grand stand proper never were intended for rock concerts, and the overwhelming echo added some confusion to the sound.
    THE CONCERT on the Ground is an excellent idea and hopefully will be continued. But sitting on wet grass and mud is a horrible way to watch even as dvnamic an attraction as Jimi Hendrix. Perhaps in the future it would be wise to revert to the practice of the bygone - but not forgotten - days when baseball was the main attraction in Sicks’ Stadium: Call off the concert due to rain.”

Janie [Al’s adopted daughter (Jimi met Janie three times very briefly in ’68, ’69 and ’70 when she was very young)]: “It was raining really bad that day. I remember being back stage with my sisters and dad. Dad had this big poncho and he was using it to keep the rain off [sic, gave it to?] Jimi. We were really afraid that he was going to get electrocuted. Now that I think back on it, there was a really good chance of it. I’ll never forget when he performed ‘Purple Haze’ that day. When he sang ‘That girl put a spell on me’ he turned around and [it seemed] pointed right at me (or possibly as usual [being very near sighted] the general audience). Everyone in the audience was looking around to see who he was pointing at.”

Jess Hansen: “We arrived at the stadium (the same place where a young Jimmy had seen Elvis Presley perform - September 1, 1957) at roughly 13:30, and found our way to the very front of the plastic tarp-covered stage while the rain had momentarily stopped and the roadies were completing their tasks. Shortly thereafter, a local DJ appeared on stage to welcome every one, and to introduce the opening band Cactus.
    Cactus had just released its self-titled debut LP and were in fine form playing their loud hard rock-in’ blues. The rain had begun to come down again heavily, and I recall that when they played ‘Let Me Swim’ the singer had a few appropriate comments.
    There was a wait of almost an hour before the somewhat amateurish local band ‘Rube Tuben & The Rhondonnas’ (featuring Billy Scream) played a short, largely ignored set. According to a conversation years later with Larry Rickstein - the leader of the band - they’d received a call just hours before the gig asking them to appear, as the scheduled ‘Cat Mother And The All Night Newsboys’ were unable to make it.
    … Meanwhile the rain continued to pour – while we waited for well over an hour watching Eric Barrett and the lads set up and test the musical gear of the maestro and his accompanists. Jimi had arrived in Seattle earlier that morning from San Diego, and was met at the air port by his father Al and a few other relatives. They then adjourned to Mr. Hendrix’s home on Seward Park Avenue, where Jimi said a few hello’s and then took a nap. When he awoke, he socialized with family and friends before being driven the short distance to the stadium by his cousin Eddie and other relatives.
    Jimi, resplendent in the long-sleeved stage clothes we all know from Atlanta and Randall’s Island - along with a blue head band - sauntered on to the stage along with Mitch and Billy. He plugged in his guitar and surveyed the crowd. Removing the cigarette from his mouth, he approached the mic’ to say: ‘Hello - I hope you’re feelin’ fine - because I am’ He then informed us they were going to take a minute or two to get tuned up. He then said, ‘You don’t sound very happy, and you don’t look very happy - but let’s see if we can paint some faces around here... a thing called ‘Let Me Stand Next To Your Old Lady,’ ‘‘cause your old man’s right next to the fire.’ Jimi ended ‘Fire’ and said ‘Thank you for staying that long -thank you.’ [Yeah, as usual, but huh! what does he mean? Like you’re going to spend that kind of money, and then leave after one song, ??!!] As he was introducing the band, a member of the audience – just to my left – put a small pillow up on the stage, and was offering up a pen! [what a bastard!] Jimi didn’t miss a beat: ‘Billy Cox on bass, we got Mitch Mitchell on drums and yours truly on public saxophone. ‘FUCK YOU whoever put up the pillow.’ [Oh no! - such a vicious thing to do - not the comfy cushions!] and with a well-aimed middle finger at the pillow perpetrator [‘perpetrating’ what ?] he kicked it off the stage. [what a prick! So nice for his family to see - another sign of his already paranoid state of mind (drink or drugs, or both, we’ll never know). He then kindly [?] asked the people to refrain from throwing things up there [because? Oh no!! Is this rock and roll or what?] He then said it was out-a-site to see his parents [sic, just Al] and family [half [?] brother [?] Leon] again, and that the Scotch was good [possibly the reason for his completely unreasonable behaviour] he hadn’t had any of that since 1635 [just as well! Should have stuck to the dope Jimi - ‘drowned in wine’ you saw it coming!]
    It was then on to a ‘natural’ ‘Message To Love,’ although he put his Strat’ down and left the stage - leaving Mitch to the only drum solo I know ever included in this song. He shortly returned to conclude this epistle. ‘Lover Man’ was followed by ‘Machine Gun’ which segued quite interestingly into the ‘Star Spangled Banner’/’Purple Haze’ medley (“Scuse me while I fuck the sky”). The rain continued to fall, and it ‘seemed’ (were you actually there?) that Jimi was continually using the long sleeves his stage shirt to wipe the rain from his guitar. Knowing that electricity and water don’t mix well, I recall being concerned for Jimi - because he was out from under the tarp getting soaked, [oh yeah?] while Billy and Mitch had cover. Jimi then introduced ‘I Don’t Live Today,’ and Mitch began the intro to this song - although when Jimi resumed playing, he elicited a funny look from Mitch by playing instead an extremely poignant version of ‘Getting My Heart Back Together Again’ (‘And if you talk to me one more time - I swear I’ll give the whole world to you’) which led into a brief ‘Midnight Lightning.’ He had a few more words for us, then it was into ‘Voodoo Child (Slight Return)’ which melted into an ‘airy’ [well was it ever anything else] ‘New Rising Sun.’ The new and as yet unreleased ‘Freedom’ was followed by ‘Red House.’ ‘The rain makes me feel like that’ Jimi said after this gem. The concert concluded with ‘Foxy Lady.’ The sopping crowd rapidly dispersed after the final notes had blessed the air, while my two friends and I stood by the stage in wonderment at what we had just witnessed. Our ride home wouldn’t be by the stadium for about forty-five minutes, so we went alongside of the stage where I saw Al Hendrix who was all smiles, and said hello to him. The roadies were stowing gear, and Eric Barrett spied my two female friends, and gently tossed them a broken Ludwig snare-drum head (which I still have) which had ‘Manny’s Music’ stamped on it. I left my friends, and climbed the stairs to the stage and went over to where Jimi’s black Strat’ was still leaning against a Marshall stack, and tentatively strummed once across the strings with my index finger, which brought a rebuke from Eric Barrett who immediately snatched the guitar up and put it away. By this time it was nearing sunset, and my friends and I joined a crowd of about 15 or so people gathered around the dressing room behind the stage. People, who I later learned were members of Jimi’s family, exited the trailer followed by Al & Jimi. I remember Jimi was wearing a navy-blue blazer, white shirt, and beige slacks. He smiled, and waved to the small crowd who were calling to him, and said something like ‘All right - we’ll see ya’ and climbed into the back-seat passenger side of his cousin’s Pontiac. Jimi waved as the car slowly left the backstage area, looking over his left shoulder, smiling, and waving goodbye. Years later, I learned that Jimi went back to his father’s home for a few hours. His stage outfit - which was thoroughly soaked - was towel-rolled and put on a hanger to dry by his step mother. He later went out and ‘hit the town’ with his cousins and some old friends - returning in the early hours of the twenty-seventh to catch some sleep. The next day Jimi expressed a desire to stay a few extra days, although eventually Gerry Stickells came by the house to collect Jimi for his flight to Hawaii - with Jimi promising his father he would try and stop back by Seattle before he returned to New York. Alas, this was not to be.”

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: