3. I Don't Live Today
    4. Red House
    5. Sunshine of Your Love
    6. Foxy lady
    7. Driving South
    8. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

recorded by W. L.

Attachment 6113
    Last edited by Fenders Fingers; 06-07-13 at 02:33 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy Eyes For This Useful Post:

crazy_cat Guest

Re: 1969-01-11 Musikhalle, Hamburg, Germany

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 219 Posts

Thanks

just did a quick comparison and version 2 listed above is the better sounding source.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to susep73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AstroVoodoo View Post
    Yeah!!!

Thanks

I think that 1st version in the 5CD set is listed as 2nd show incorrectly. It should be the first show. But glad another new tape surfaced! New to me, and many thanks!! Vic

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0TGG8eX5Ng 8mm synced by jamminjimi!

Thanks Nils Lache for taping and kurher for the heads up!!!

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AstroVoodoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Saturday 11 January 1969
    Hamburg, Musikhalle, Johannes Brahms Platz, W. Germany. JHE
    Two shows at 18:00 and 21:00, both sold out
    Support: Eire Apparent.
    Audience; 2,400 each show.
    The JHE flew in to Hamburg International Airport from Copenhagen International Airport, Denmark.

Songs 1st show:

Are You Experienced (14)
    Johnny B. Goode (1) (Chuck Berry)
    Spanish Castle Magic (26)
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again (14)
    Fire (47)
    I Don’t Live Today (28)
    Red House (40)
    Sunshine Of Your Love (20) (Jack Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (41)

Songs 2nd show:

Spanish Castle Magic (66)
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again (47)
    I Don´t Live Today (54)
    Red House (103)
    Sunshine Of Your Love (47)
    Thaw Out (18) (Albert “The Ice-Man” Collins) [aka “Driving South” - bogus title by C. Knight]
    Foxy Lady (116)
    Voodoo Chile (SR) (99)

Die Welt (‘The World’, 15 January) ‘Magician Of Electronics’, review by unknown: “The music comes out of 48 speaker cabinets and 12 amplifiers rumbling, whistling and moaning. The black man, who plays guitar in front, wears two rings on his left hand and three on his right, and is decorated with turquoise chains and voodoo amulets. Jimi Hendrix on tour in Germany. Those who encounter The Jimi Hendrix Experience” see and hear a magician of electronics…
    …The three are making a kind of blues music in which the contrasts “between Heaven and Earth” are intensified to the more extreme motto “between Galaxy and Underground.” Time and again the numbers start off as a country- blues, roughly in the tradition of Muddy Waters, but each time, very soon intensifications emerge, setting out towards uncharted territories. Firstly, the volume relegates everything which has so far been considered loud to the restrained and elegant department, from the “Rolling Stones” to “The Great Gate Of Kiev” [last part of “Pictures At An Exhibition” by Mussorgsky]. When Jimi Hendrix plays, it is no longer music that goes to your legs, but under the foot-sole, Still, there is grading and colour in the roar. The guitar wails and cries as if the sound was coming from distant worlds, the effects being achieved not only manually but with the help of pedals also. At his feet the master has a wide variety of foot-devices, which produce talking wah-wah effects, and a flat mine-like metal disc you can kick on and off and which distorts the instrument’s sound even more. A kaleidoscope of noise is created which almost absorbs the vocals. As for a verbal message Jimi Hendrix fails to deliver. Hardly ever does he (by articulate performance) make the old blues themes recognizable, such as the joy of love, heartache, and the poetry of the pimp, which are the leading things in this world.
    His singing voice is adequate, but not prominent in the improvised polyphonic texture of the instruments. This texture, which only three musicians are working on, consists in general of at least six voices: first Noel Redding’s bass line, second the stomping rhythm Mitch Mitchell produces with his bass drum, and third the diabolically complex drum breaks. The guitar is amplified in such a way that Jimi Hendrix only has to touch the neck very lightly and the sound roars through the hall. At the same time he picks with his other hand like guitarists before him, only his picking is much more virtuosic and free. The sixth voice is his singing.
    He lifts the guitar above his head and plays it behind his neck. He lifts it in front of his mouth, as if he is planning to bite the melodies from his guitar with his teeth. He rubs the neck and the body with much delight across the shining chrome of the micorphone-stand, and feedback noise groans across the hall. He shakes and beats his instrument. Grinning, he almost does the splits, then freezes his face in a sad mask, constantly presenting himself like a secularized medicine-man.
    Jimi: “Loudness and visual gimmicks have definitely contributed to my big success in the past few years,”
    DW: - Jimi Hendrix says in the dressing- room between two shows. He is later asked if he knows Stockhausen by someone who was obviously impressed with the electronically manipulated sound-imagery.
    Jimi: “I was schooled by radio and records. My teachers were common sense and imagination. No, I don’t know Stockhausen.”

Uli Jon Roth: “I attended the second show; I was twelve years old. The audience was very quiet and remained seated during the entire JHE performance. But it was still a magical show. I wrote down [part of] the set list at the time and I vividly remember that they played ‘If Six Was Nine,’ but just the first section of the song [no, they didn’t. Just like they didn’t play it at Denver '69 either. Ed. )

Jimi (backstage): “We’re going to release another album in the next two months. It will be called First Wave Of The New Rising Sun [note:the ‘Rainbow Bridge’ film was originally titled “Wave”. Ed.], and we’d like to do a live album of the Albert Hall concert.
    The First Wave Of The New Rising Sun is my new life. Everybody has something to give of themselves and it’s not just money. I don’t know what’s happening in England, but the dollar bill is God in the States. All those pelican people just believe in money and nothing else.”
    [Melody Maker (UK)]
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-01-17 at 08:35 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 485 Posts

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post: