Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970-08-30 'Isle of Wight Festival' East Afton Downs, Isle of Wight, Freshwater UK

Thanks

1970-08-30 'Isle of Wight Festival' East Afton Downs, Isle of Wight, Freshwater UK

Sunday, August 30th, 1970

1. God Save the Queen
    2. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    3. Spanish Castle Magic
    4. All Along The Watchtower
    5. Machine Gun
    6. Lover Man
    7. Freedom
    8. Red House
    9. Dolly Dagger
    10. Midnight Lightning
    11. Foxy Lady
    12. Message To Love
    13. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
    14. Ezy Rider
    15. Hey Joe
    16. Purple Haze
    17. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    18. In From The Storm

Audience Recording Sources 1 & 2

Audience Recording Source 3

Attachment 6397Attachment 6398

Transcription courtesy of Uchi

MC: JIMI HENDRIX!

*scattered claps and cheers*

JH: Yeah! Thank you very much for showing up man, you look really beautiful and out of sight, and thanks for waiting. It has been a long time, hasn't it? That does mean peace, not this. *motions a middle finger the audience* Peace, heh. Ok, give us about a minute to tune up, alright? Give us a minute to tune up..

*twang twang twang and a few chords*

JH: Drum roll, do a drum roll (??) [[very faint]]

JH: It's so good to be back in England, We like to do- Start off with a thing that everyone knows out there, you can join in and start singin'! Matter 'o fact, it'd sound better if you'd stand up, for your country, and your beliefs, and start singin'! ..And if you don't, fuck ya.

JH: *to Mitch/Billy* Nice and Loud, Nice and Loud.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

SGT. PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

SPANISH CASTLE MAGIC

JH: As I said before, Thanks alot for coming. We'd like to get into another song that we did about, in the year of 1833. And uh, I think it's pretty true still today if you can dig it.

*tap tap tap* [[Jimi pretends to count the frets to find where to start the song]]

ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER

JH: Uh, we're having a tiny bit of trouble with the equipment, hold on one more second, buy your hotdogs. Yeah we'll do that toward the uh.. *twang* Next time. [[in response to a in-audible fan request?]]

*pops and clicks can be heard while Jimi is adjust his UniVibe along with him playing test chords, and Mitch is adjusting the drums*

JH: Yeah there's a whole lotta headgames going on and sometimes they leak out, as for where they use their powers and so forth and play bonehead games on other people, which we call Warrrrr! *JH clicks his tongue a few times* So we'd like to dedicate this one to uh, all the soldiers fighting in Birmingham, all the Skinheads-

*various audience hoots and hollers*

JH: Yeah well you know what I mean, ya know.. Yeah right amen. *twang* All the soldiers fighting in Bournemouth, London, oh yes and all the soliders fighting in Vietnam, I almost forgot man, so many wars goin' on.

MACHINE GUN

Radio Interference: Right? That's fine, That's fine thank you. Security Personnel, Security Personnel are you receiving us?

End of Machine Gun..

*twang twang* [[You can hear pops and clicks and some feedback from where Jimi switches to the Flying V]]

JH: It's gonna take some time to like, get into because we're having, little difficulties here and there, but like if you can just hold on a bit I think we can all get it together, Alright? Cause i'm gonna stay here all night 'till somebody moves.

*Billy does a nice little, real quick bass solo and gets a few claps, Mitch then does a short little drum beat*

*twang twang*

LOVER MAN

*twang twang and a few chords that sound like "Like a Rolling Stone"*

JH: Ok we're gonna start all over again. Hello, how ya doin' england? Glad to see ya. We're gonna do a thing called Freedom.

FREEDOM

*twang twang and chord or two*

RED HOUSE

JH: *to Mitch/Billy* Let's try and do Dolly Dagger, ok?

JH: We're gonna try to do this song now, it's called um, Dolly Dagger and it's one of the things to be released on our new LP. *turns away from audience and talks to roadies* What's that? What? What?? *returns to audience* Oh yeah somebody wants the people in the front row to sit down. I think it's compliments of the hills. Don't forget you can't fly off the top of those hills, don't forget that. 1 2 3 4.

DOLLY DAGGER

*some feedback and you can hear Jimi switch back to the strat*

JH: We're very sorry for tuning up but uh, we do that to protect your ears that's why don't play so loud anyways. And uh, Cowboys are the only one's who stay in tune anyway. I'm glad you all have patience though, I don't. I'd like to do a slow blues.

MIDNIGHT LIGHTNING

JH: This is dedicated to Linda, the cat right there with the silver face, to Kirsten, Karen, and the little four year old girl with the yellow panties on. (???) And i'd like to say thank you for the last 3 years, one of these days we'll get it together, thank you for showing up, your outta sight. If you want the same old songs we can do that but..

FOXY LADY

Radio Interference: *2 signals, one English, one another language* .. Although it is clear _____ the epidemic.. (??)

End of Foxy Lady..

JH: Y'all wanna hear all those little songs man damn, I was just trying to get some other things together. I just woke up about 2 minutes ago. Was recording some little things, and I don't think.. ah I don't know. I think we'll play something a little more familiar. Cause I ain't came yet myself, I don't know about you but I ain't came.. There I came, Thank you very much, Goodnight.

MESSAGE TO LOVE

HEY BABY (NEW RISING SUN)

EZY RIDER

HEY JOE

PURPLE HAZE

VOODOO CHILD (SR)

IN FROM THE STORM

JH: Thank you for bein' so patient, maybe one of these days we'll join again, I really hope so.. right? Peace and Happiness and all that other good shit. *Jimi dumps the Black Strat to the stage floor and walks off*

MC: Thank You.. Thank You for the Jimi Hendrix Experience.. Thank You. Thank You. *Rolling Stones recording begins playing to audience*
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 03-13-11 at 01:23 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dolly Dagger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,174 Times in 201 Posts

Re: 1970-08-30 'Isle of Wight Festival' East Afton Downs, Isle of Wight, Freshwater U

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawkfan369 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,045 Times in 348 Posts

Re: 1970-08-30 'Isle of Wight Festival' East Afton Downs, Isle of Wight, Freshwater U

Thanks
    Thanked 1,511 Times in 483 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 04-03-16 at 12:21 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 840 Posts

"That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

isle of wight

this is the whole concert,i see some of it has not been officially released.the jeffery album only has 6 songs.rediculas to give us only part of the concert. here's a site selling a ton of hendrix boots.looks like they have big balls selling the stuff we already have for 30 bucks a pop.i don't know if this CD is aud or sdbd http://www.jagamart.com/jiheisman2cd.htmlAttachment 18199

12. The Following User Says Thank You to donniewn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It is nice to report that we have another audience recording from this venue surface. A gentleman by the name of Robert Colover attended the festival and recorded a fair amount of material, including almost all of Jimi's set on his reel to reel recorder. It now has been transfered (via MD) to 2 CD.
    CD 1 =54:07
    CD 2 = 62:35
    Quality reported as "good"
    This information as reported in Jimpress #100 so for fuller details go to that publication.
    As yet not in circulation but from conversation and reading the article I think it wont be long until we can all enjoy Robert's fine recording.
    Last edited by Fenders Fingers; 12-08-12 at 08:42 AM.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My family keeps our horse in the field where the stage was that Jimi played on!

and my parents friends/our gardener were at the show!
    Is the microphone on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyder52 View Post
    My family keeps our horse in the field where the stage was that Jimi played on!

and my parents friends/our gardener were at the show!
    cool, why don't you interview them and post the results here? would love to heard their memories of the even and Jimi and co's performance.
    did they take any pic's, film or record any part of the event?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    cool, why don't you interview them and post the results here? would love to heard their memories of the even and Jimi and co's performance.
    did they take any pic's, film or record any part of the event?
    Good idea! I'll see what I can do. There is already a to scale statue of Jimi right by my house in Freshwater! and a museum about the festival there!

S
    tatue: http://www.grantdavey.co.uk/images/j...rix-statue.jpg
    Is the microphone on?

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spyder52 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks.
    Btw, next Jimpress has an IOW feature I hear.

Thanks

I enjoy reading the between song banter. It's interesting.
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

Thanks

Isle of Wight 1970 Pop Festival Evening Standard Program

(much thanks to mark7)

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 1,825 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhendrixfanatic View Post
    Isle of Wight 1970 Pop Festival Evening Standard Program

(much thanks to mark7)
    Yeah, many thanks to you. Any chance you could blow them up a bit so it's readable? Very frustrating
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 1,825 Posts

Sunday 30 August 1970
    East Afton Farm, Isle of Wight, England. JHE [II]
    Concert - Isle of Wight Festival – at 23:00
    MC: Jeff Dexter
    Sound: Charlie Williams
    Tape: stereo soundboard, 105:00 minutes, excellent
    Film: by Murray Lerner
    Audience: ~ 600,000
    Promoter: Fiery Productions
    Accomodation: Seagrove Hotel Sandown. Jimi signed the register “Mr. & Mrs. Misscarriage”
    The band flew into Bembridge Airport

Songs:

God Save The Queen (unattributable)
    Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (14) (Lennon & McCartney)
    Spanish Castle Magic (48)
    All Along The Watchtower (12) (Bob Dylan)
    Machine Gun (27/28)
    Lover Man (39)
    Freedom (24)
    Red House (76)
    Dolly Dagger (4)
    Midnight Lightnin’ (18/19)
    Foxy Lady, (93/94)
    Message To Love (41)
    The New Rising Sun (Hey Baby) (9)
    Ezy Ryder (27)
    Hey Joe (58) (Billy Roberts)
    Purple Haze (102)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (83)
    In From The Storm (6)

Melody Maker (05 September) ‘Five Days That Rocked Britain’ – review by Chris Welch: “’Yes it has been a long time hasn’t it’ said a cool, casual but seemingly happy Jimi Hendrix as he took the stage after an agonisingly long wait. He was probably referring to the long gap since we last saw him per form in Britain, rather than the one hour plus delay while one drum kit, a guitar and a bass guitar were set in working order. His set proved much as anticipated by those who have followed his career. Our Jim was dogged by sound trouble back in the days of the small clubs and the Saville Theatre (remember?). Maybe he is a perfectionist - but somehow there is always some thing wrong with the machinery of rock when Hendrix plugs in. And conforming to the pattern, shortly after an undistinguishable opener featuring a collapsible version of our National Anthem and ‘Sgt. Pepper’ he stopped to the merest ripple of uncertain applause. But it was nice to see him again, even if the sound was terrible. Clad in an orange suit, with the now familiar short hair style, he looked fine, and seemed determined to play no matter what. At the end of another number there was no applause at all. In the darkness some 600,000 souls sat in total silence. The trio, no longer an Experience, were obviously under rehearsed and relying on magic and miracles. The sound began to improve and Jimi’s guitar picked up. ‘They may be having an off night but he is still incredibly good,’ said Peter Frampton, one of the crush in the press VIP and gate-crashers enclosure. And it was the sheer artistry and credibility of Hendrix’s blues power that began to turn the tide from disaster. ‘Okay well start all over again’ said Jimi. ‘Hello England.’ Suddenly there was life on stage and the band caught our attention again. Something was definitely happening and – yes they were going to play some music! And Jimi proved why he is one of the all time greats to coin a phrase, by playing and singing on the ever popular ‘Red House,’ still one of his best numbers. We’re convinced that Jimi’s trouble stems from internal conflict between his blues roots and a desire to progress. He has the technique to play a mass of different sounds, but his confidence seems to ebb and he gets confused when he wanders into the free style freaky effects, so revolutionary back in 1967. All it needs is some nice new songs, a rehearsal, and bingo - life is easier for all! As it happened the miracle and magic worked towards the end of his two hour set, with the aid of a medley of hits. The magic was really there all the time in the talent of Messrs. Hendrix, Mitchell, and Cox. They just need a little time.., and they’ll get it all together.”

Oz (No.30 1970) ’Hey Jimi, Where You Gonna Run To Now?’ – review by Germaine Greer: “[…] He dropped down into the Isle of Wight like the sick man lowered through the roof of the house to be cured, hopping from his helicopter minutes before he was due on stage, slipping into his psychedelic minstrel clown’s gear, freshing up his gum and walking out on stage into nowhere. Nothing was changed, except that the promoters had discovered that they didn’t even have to supply a roof any more. The police were still there. The crude drugs were still there and, as always, the brutish adulation. In front of the stage, all he could see were the film cameras, the press, the bedraggled groupies with their blank hungry faces, and the politicoes as ruthless in jockeying for position as the cameramen. Where was it to come from, the feedback that would turn him on in reciprocity for all the turn on’s he gave us? His guitar pleaded for resonance from the people, but in the vast stormy darkness there was not so much as an echo. He kept glancing over his shoulder to Mitch who was as lost as he, to Billy Cox for some power, but he had to look back into the blank darkness again. ‘Hell, I just ain’t came’ he kept saying. What was there for him to come on to?” [a very skewed & jaundiced, retro post death assessment]

Ralph McTell: “I hung around backstage all day. At one point I asked Hendrix’s crew what state he was in. They told me he was still in some debutante’s back garden on the other side of the island and they’d have to drag him out and tie him to the microphone if he was going to play at all.”

Nick Clowes: “Pink Floyd’s road crew were helping out with the rig and Dave Gilmour was hanging out backstage. The legendary roadie Pete Watts was doing the stage sound, but things were getting a bit hairy. Just before Hendrix went on, he turned to Gilmour and said, ‘For luck’s sake, come and help me out.’ So Gilmour ended up mixing Hendrix’s sound.”

Ian Anderson: “We’d previously played several festivals in America with Hendrix and we always had battles about who would go on last. The perfect time to go on is just as it is getting dark and the lights are coming on. So there was this monster argument backstage between our managements about who would go on last. We made up some story about having to get off to America, so Hendrix had to go on last.
    I left during the third number. It wasn’t happening. He was trying to do his Band Of Gypsys stuff but the crowd had come to hear ‘Purple Haze.’”

John Lodge: “I stayed ‘til the end to see Jimi. It’s one thing to hear his records, or see a film, but it was completely different to hear how his guitar sounded live, in the flesh. He was brilliant.”

Margaret Redding: “Noel wasn’t playing with Jimi at the Isle Of Wight but I wanted to see him, so l just went down and barged into his dressing room. He jumped up, put his arms round me and gave me a big kiss. He was the loveliest man, such a dear. I watched Jimi’s set from the side of the stage. He wasn’t satisfied with his performance at all, but I remember thinking how lucky I was that I’d always be able to get to him when ever I wanted. Within a month he was dead.”

Jeff Dexter: “It took an hour and 45 minutes to get Hendrix on stage. One of the things that delayed us was his shirt, which had extravagant sleeves which kept banging on the guitar strings making it difficult to play. I had to sew up one sleeve so he could play. Then his trousers split as well and I had to sew those up. When we finally got to the stage, he wanted me to say, ‘This is Blue Angel music’ [sic. actually: “The Wild Blue Angel music.” Ed.] but I couldn’t say that, so I just said, ‘Here’s the man with the guitar.’”

François Jouffa: "…in August 1970 I was at the Isle Of Wight for Europe 1. Backstage we were among the groups, hash was passed around. It was under these conditions that Jimi took the stage. He was in another world. He messed around with his guitar for ages as if there was nobody there before he started his show [not on the tape he doesn’t?].

Jacques Barsamian: "Like a few people, I was at IOW for his last major concert. Jimi took half an hour to tune up then seemed to wake up and said "Sorry, I was somewhere else". [not on the tape he doesn’t? Ed.].

Jacqui McShee: “People say it wasn’t Jimi Hendrix’s best gig but all I remember is standing there open-mouthed, absolutely gob-smacked. He was amazing.”
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 631 Posts

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/isle-o...festival-1-2-3

The Isle of Wight Festival 1, 2 and 3

Festival organisers in the UK have always tried to secure a weekend for their event where there is little competition. The first Isle of Wight festival was in 1968 and the organisers grabbed the last weekend in August, a traditional British public holiday.
    680831 IOW Festival
    The first festival was a relatively low-key affair, lasting for from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning, and attracting around 15,000 people with a very varied line-up. Among the support acts were Plastic Penny, The Mirage (their main claim to fame is they included future Elton John band stalwart, Dee Murray on guitar), Blonde on Blonde, Aynsley Dunbar’s Retaliation, Halcyon Order (a local band), Smile – with Chris Spedding on guitar and Fairport Convention.

The Fairports was one of the last acts to play, just as the sun began to come up. At this point they had both Ian Matthews and Sandy Denny on vocals; this was a magnificent incarnation of the band that recorded What We Did on Our Holidays.

The Pretty Things, The Move and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown were there too along with Tyrannosaurus Rex who hadn’t at this point gone electric or shortened their name.
    Jefferson Airplane
    Topping the bill was the only overseas artist to appear – Jefferson Airplane, with lead singers Grace Slick and Marty Balin, Paul Kantner on guitar, and backing vocals that made them one of the greatest vocal bands of the day. The rest of the band was Jorma Kaukonen on guitar, bassist Jack Cassady and drummer Spencer Dryden. There were few bands in the world that could hold a candle to Jefferson Airplane at this point, and despite the atrocious weather anyone catching this gig should feel privileged.
    690831 Band & DylanIOW
    The 1969 festival was in a different league, a two-day event that was held just a few weeks after Woodstock took place; the Isle of Wight could boast having both Bob Dylan and the Band to headline their affair. Among the support bands were Blodwyn Pig, the vastly underrated Eclection, Family, Fat Mattress, Free, The Nice, Tom Paxton, The Moody Blues, Pentangle and way down the bill King Crimson a few weeks after their appearance at Hyde Park with the Rolling Stones.

It also included three artists that had played at Woodstock, which of course at this point had not crossed over the line to mythology to become the stuff of legend; the album and the movie were still months away from release. Richie Havens, Joe Cocker and The Who – the second day’s headliner – are the three acts that played both festivals. Roger Daltry was wearing his famous fringed jacket, and Pete was in his white boiler suit but much of the effect was lost as it was still light when they played.
    Who Isle of Wight
    The Friday was very much the acoustic/folk day but given the fact that Dylan and the Band were th headliners that day tickets cost £2; Dylan was reportedly paid £35,000. For the Sunday, when the Moody Blues were second on the bill, a ticket was a mere £1.25. A ticket for the entire weekend was £2.50.

John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, as well as Keith Richards and Charlie Watts were all there to see Dylan play. George wrote a song inspired by the event and dedicated to Dylan, ‘Behind That Locked Door’ appeared on his All Things Must Pass album
    700830 iow poster.l
    In 1970 the festival had grown significantly to the point where it actually outgrew itself; for 32 years after this the isle of Wight did not see another large scale music gathering. It’s estimated that the crowds were well in excess of half a million. Fans were drawn to what was one of the most ambitious line-ups ever put together for a festival on British soil, with artists from both sides of the Atlantic.

Even before the festival officially opened there were some bands that played for free on Wednesday and Thursday, including, Mighty Baby, Kris Kristofferson, Supertramp, The Groundhogs, Terry Reid and Gilberto Gil.

At the festival proper on Friday it was had Chicago topping the bill with support from Family, Taste, Procol Harum and James Taylor as well as bands that have largely been forgotten, including Arrival, Fairfield Parlour, Cactus and Lighthouse.

Also on the bill on Saturday was Miles Davis who had reinvented himself as a jazz rock artist in the wake of his Bitches Brew album that was released in April of 1960; Davis’s band included Chick Corea and Keith Jarrett. Other acts included, Tiny Tim, ELP (set included ‘Pictures at an Exhibition’), and John Sebastian. The tye-dyed one was the first of the Woodstock alumni to play the festival.

Sebastian’s appearance, along with the others who starred in the film, which had recently been premiered in the UK, as well as having Matthews Southern Comfort’s version of ‘Woodstock’ topping the charts a few weeks earlier, all significantly added to the draw of the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival. It was as though people could not risk missing the next Woodstock.

Sandwiched between these acts and the notional bill-toppers was supposed to be Cat Mother, but they didn’t show, Sly and the Family Stone and Joni Mitchell. Third top was Ten Years After; their Woodstock appearance had turned them and in particular, Alvin Lee, into box office gold. Joint top were the Who and the Doors – it was not by all accounts the latter’s finest hour and less than a year later Jim Morrison would be dead.

If Saturday was impressive, Sunday was stellar. With Melanie, Free, The Moody Blues, Donovan, Leonard Cohen, Richie Havens Joan Baez and Jethro Tull among the big names with Jimi Hendrix topping the bill. It really was an extraordinary coming together of talent.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Less than three weeks after he walked off stage at the Isle of Wight, James Marshall Hendrix was dead.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    It is nice to report that we have another audience recording from this venue surface. A gentleman by the name of Robert Colover attended the festival and recorded a fair amount of material, including almost all of Jimi's set on his reel to reel recorder. It now has been transfered (via MD) to 2 CD.
    CD 1 =54:07
    CD 2 = 62:35
    Quality reported as "good"
    This information as reported in Jimpress #100 so for fuller details go to that publication.
    As yet not in circulation but from conversation and reading the article I think it wont be long until we can all enjoy Robert's fine recording.
    any news about this recording?

Thanks

I believe Fenders Fingers shared this one via megaupload a while back. There was a thread on this site somewhere about it.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post: