Attachment 6103

crazy_cat Guest

Re: 1969-01-13 Sporthalle, Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

Thanks

Thanks for sharing, Gypsy Eyes !

Thanks

Overall very solid show, everyone playing very well. Pretty much every song was top shelf, even the shorter jams like SCM contained amazing pieces. Great flow, Red House being an absolute highlight followed closely by VC and Sunshine. These guys sound amazing.
    Last edited by susep73; 01-12-17 at 09:48 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to susep73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,107 Times in 359 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by susep73 View Post
    "...you don't speak in church."
    'you dont scream in church'

otherwise very nice review!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    'you dont scream in church'

otherwise very nice review!
    yup, just re-listened closely. thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,518 Times in 485 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 03-29-16 at 10:20 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Monday 13 January 1969
    Köln, Sporthalle, W. Germany. JHE
    Concert at 20:00 nearly sold out
    Monika Dannemann drove her car there, attended the concert and spent the night with Jimi.
    Interview (taped after the concert) with Jimi, details unknown.
    Support: Eire Apparent.
    Promoter: Lippmann & Rau
    Audience: 5,000
    Accommodation: The Dom Hotel, Domkloster 2a, Köln.

Songs:

Come On (Part 1) (10) (Earl ‘King’ Johnson)
    Foxy Lady (56)
    Red House (44)
    Voodoo Child (slight return) (97)
    Fire (96)
    Spanish Castle Magic (60)
    Hey Joe (74) (Billy Roberts)
    Sunshine Of Your Love (22) (Jack Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
    Star Spangled Banner (16) (John Stafford Smith [music])
    Purple Haze (65)

Caesar Glebbeek: “In the morning I travelled from Düsseldorf to Köln by train, checked into my hotel, and then paid a visit to the local promoter in town. He gave me a complimentary ticket for the upcoming show and a bunch of JHE concert posters (the well-known one designed by Gunther Kieser, with all the tubes coming out of Jimi’s head). I was a happy man!
    Before this show I once again went into the dressing room. Just in case Mitch might disappear again, I had him autograph my photographs. This was a much better opportunity to gather some news. For example, Noel told me that they’d already recorded six songs for their new studio LP... When asked about all the rumours of the trio breaking up, Noel replied that they were untrue: ‘we will play together until we die!’ Jimi got rather annoyed when I raised the matter of these
    albums with Curtis Knight - Jimi: ‘Don’t talk about that, man, it’s not us.’

Mitch and Noel expressed a healthy interest in prices of flats and houses in Holland. As it was nearly time for their performance, I said goodbye to everybody; Jimi, Mitch, and Noel all mentioned that they hoped to play in Holland soon.”

Foxy Paper (newsletter, #5, January) report by Caesar Glebbeek: “There were 5,000 people in the hall, acting enthusiastic, which resulted in a very nice atmosphere (while the audience in Düsseldorf stayed rather reserved); occasionally girls even screamed! Probably encouraged by the energetic crowd, the performance was better than the day before - it certainly was more spontaneous....
    Immediately after the end of Purple Haze’ the audience began to shout for an encore, but this did not materialise as a one-hour JHE show [ to 22:25] is just that - not a minute longer than contractually stipulated. So this was the end of two very exciting days.”

Unknown Köln newspaper (16 January) ‘Jimi raged about at the Sporthalle like a torero’, ‘And 5,000 fans stamped like bulls’ – review by Wolfgang Jansen: “About 5,000 fans screamed their throats hoarse last Monday evening during a one-hour non-stop show by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. ‘Jimi, Jimi,’ the Sporthalle roared and the thunderous applause would not come to an end. No doubt this was the hottest and at the same time loudest show that the ‘Halle’ in Köln had experienced during its existence. Psychedelic king Jimi Hendrix and his Experience provided an evening of superlatives, one which the fans from the Rhine district would not forget very quickly.
    The first of the Hendrix disciples would show up in front of the Sporthalle as early as two hours before the start of the show. The fans were nervous, like little children before Christmas they could hardly wait to see their idol, at last in the flesh. I wanted to know what they expected from Jimi: ‘In the first place I am interested in his music,’ Gerd Jaxen and Herweg Klotz told me, ‘It is the message of the young people of The World,’ Gerd thought. Jimi Hendrix the person rather than the music, was the focus of interest of Thea König (18) and Jochen Hofer (19): ‘We can play the records at home. We are here for the action.’ Manfred Legrand (18) and Heinz A. Harrius had already seen the Kinks, the Who and the Beach Boys, but they wouldn’t spend a single penny on such events anymore. Why not? ‘That style is out of date!’ Heinz thought. ‘Jimi is exactly to our taste. He is the most talented guitar player.’
    After the - until now - unknown band Eire Apparent had warmed up the ‘Sporthalle’ for about an hour, the fire started with Jimi Hendrix. Immediately the hall changed into an arena, in which Jimi fought out the struggle with the six strings of his guitar like a torero. He fought inexorably, he plucked with his teeth, he ran his tongue across the strings and he also often used his elbows. He played the guitar with only one hand, while he adjusted the amplifier with the other. ‘Baby Let The Good Times Roll.’ The fans were raging about in their seats, and the security had a tough time to cool their heated minds. Meanwhile Jimi continued his struggle diligently. ‘Jimi, Jimi, let the walls tremble,’ the hall roared. ‘Fire,’ the hall blazed. 5,000 pairs of eyes were under the spell of a unique stage show. Jimi Hendrix, the loudest and most cruel guitar player of all time left the audience breathless. Time and again some fans couldn’t help becoming ecstatic during almost a full hour. The sound which came from ten large amplifier cabinets was very loud. Any sound measuring-device would have collapsed immediately with this kind of volume. Jimi, dressed in colourful clothes and wearing magic chains and heavy bracelets, refrained from playing simply a medley of his well-known hits. He sang and played songs from his LP’s, which are known and highly regarded by the connoisseurs: ‘Foxy Lady’ – ‘There Is A Red House’ [sic] – ‘Voodoo Child’ – ‘Sunshine Of Your Love.’ The other spectators may have been disappointed. They had to content themselves with ‘Hey Joe’. But the Hendrix experts were out of their minds. Their opinion at the end: Jimi is even better ‘live’ than on his records!.”

After the concert there was a Press party in and around the bar back stage -

Caesar Glebbeek: “I attended this gathering and it was extraordinary to witness how people would pull at Jimi, non-stop - from autograph hunters, report and photographers (professionals and fans with cheap cameras) to a film crew. When I think about it now, it’s amazing that Jimi put up with all this for so many years almost on a daily basis while touring. Mind you, I was ‘guilty’ too: I managed to have my photo taken with Jimi as well, but unfortunately the colour slide didn’t come out very well as there wasn’t enough natural light.
    Later on, Monika Dannemann also arrived backstage and as soon as she’d shown up Jimi had little time for other people. I sat next to Jimi and Monika while an older (bald) guy interviewed Jimi for maybe ten minutes …. I recall lots of giggles by Jimi while he politely answered yet another set of standard questions…”
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: