4. Fire
    5. Red House
    6. Foxy Lady
    7. Purple Haze
    8. Voodoo Child (slight return)

Attachment 6105

Thanks

Re: 1969-01-16 Meistersingerhalle, Nuremberg, Bayern (Bavaria), Germany

There were 2 shows on this night. The setlist above is from the early show. The late show set list is below

1. Fire
    2. Hey Joe
    3. Spanish Castle Magic
    4. Red House
    5.Foxy Lady
    6. Sunshine of your love
    7. LITTLE WING
    8. Voodoo Chile (SR)
    9. All along the Watchtower
    10. Purple Haze
    Last edited by Experiencereunited; 08-02-15 at 04:48 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

crazy_cat Guest

Thanks

Last edited by Experiencereunited; 08-13-15 at 09:48 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Thursday 16 January 1969
    Nürnberg, Meistersingerhalle [‘Master Singer Hall’], 21 Münchener Straße, West Germany. JHE
    Two shows at 18:00 and 21:00, sold out (probably both shows)
    Support: Eire Apparent.
    Promoter: Lippmann & Rau
    Audiences: 2,500 people each show.

Songs 1st show:

Come On (Part 1) (8) (Earl ‘King’ Johnson)
    I Don’t Live Today (29)
    Hey Joe (45) (Billy Roberts)
    Fire (49)
    Red House (42)
    Foxy Lady (54)
    Purple Haze (63)
    Voodoo Child (SR) (43)

Songs 2nd show:

Fire
    Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)
    Spanish Castle Magic
    Red House (cut)
    Foxy Lady
    Sunshine Of Your Love
    (Jack Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
    Little Wing
    Voodoo Chile (SR)
    All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
    Purple Haze

Nürnberger Abendzeitung [‘Nuremberg Evening News’ (paper)] 17 January) ‘Yesterday Nürnberg goggled at The Jimi Hendrix Experience’, ‘Struwwelbeatle (a play on Struwwelpeter [‘tousle-head’ + the Beatles as in the Moptops [the Beatles]) im Pop Paradies’ (in Pop Paradise) - review by:Wulf Weidner: “Like a bottle of soda water under double or triple pressure. a powerful musical act exploded yesterday at the Nürnberger Meistersingerhalle: The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Musical Molotov cocktails + decibel-fondue = a first-class acoustic state dinner.
    [...] This perfect, hip music machine produced a festival of sounds: fast, rhythmic, happy, dreamy, and - demanding. Over thirty decibel machines - if I counted correctly - coughed sounds and chords together into a cold fever sound, which moved the audience to the witch’s cellar of Greenwich Village. Two hundred and twenty decibels roared through the hall yesterday: in a soccer stadium filled with 50,000 people the utmost one can measure is 170 decibels.
    [...] Before his show Hendrix sent his [sic] discovery ‘The Fire Apparent’ into the game to warm up the crowd. The group from Ireland partly reminded me of the early Beatles in Hamburg; but manager [sic] and producer Hendrix remained godfather. What Jimi presents with ease, the Irishmen flog as Hendrix plagiarism. Alas! The drummer David Lutton is at least the equal of Experience drummer Mitchell. But Chris Stuart, bass player of the group, had a different opinion during the first show (18:00 yesterday: Out of rage because of a missed cue (on his part) he threw his bass at his associate. The thing broke. That’s also part of the show. An evening in pop paradise: the young audience felt like it was in heaven. A heaven with ‘only’ three stars - the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
    Before his show, Hendrix sent his discovery the Eire Apparent into the arena to warm up the crowd... What Jimi Hendrix presents with ease, the Irishmen flag as Hendrix plagiarism. Alas - the drummer, David Lutton, is at least the equal of Experience drummer Mitchell. But Chris Stewart, bass player of the group, had a different opinion during the first show (18:00 hours) yesterday: out of fury after a missed cue (on his part) he threw his instrument at his colleague. The thing broke, and Stuart only had one [instrument] That’s also part of the show. An evening in pop paradise: the young audience felt like it was in heaven. A heaven with ‘only’ three stars - the Jimi Hendrix Experience.”

Nürnberger Nachrichten (‘Nuremberg News’ 17 January) review by ‘Beb’: “The ‘experience’ by which Jimmy [sic] Hendrix communicates is one only he can produce. Other bands have experimented with artificial sounds as well, but an improvement will probably never be reached by anyone else. Hendrix’s guitar is louder than a squad of jet airplanes starting up, and all the machinery from the München metro put together. But there is order in this chaos. Subtle rhythmic changes create islands within the cacophony where one can find direction... Every member of the band stayed in close contact with each other, which demanded a maximum of concentration because of all the complex and spontaneous developments taking place.
    The music, reminding us very much of fragments coming from outer space, asks the audience to be able to adapt. Unfortunately one could see that in the Meistersingerhalle most of the listeners were not up to this task, and they showed this with incompetent complains in their helplessness to cope with such a musical giant.”

Nürnberger Nachrichten (‘Nuremberg News’ 18 January) ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’ - review by S. Toplak: “Jimi’s amplified guitar whined and shrieked with a hundred decibels and more, telling stories about hydrogen bomb explosions, rockets taking off and messages from the universe. Hendrix is a technically excellent player... Why all this has to be displayed on a sound level that constantly exceeds the pain limit is absolutely incomprehensible, especially since the singing and the battered drum kit could hardly be heard. Structures or subtle changes in rhythm or the musicians’ interplay were impossible to detect. As one listener sighed after the torture endured: ‘Ouch, my poor ears.’ Enough said.”

Larry Gyger [fan]: “I attended the first show. 30 + years ago, a female body was what a teenage boy lived for, not Jimi. For a teenager, one could only be in awe of Hendrix. I remember he inspired me to be more diligent in learning how to play guitar, but I also recall that I was a little disappointed that the live music didn’t sound as clean and fresh as hearing the songs on vinyl. Looking back on it, I can’t help but see things in a different light. It took many years for me to understand that he felt every note; he lived his music...”
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: