7. Sunshine Of Your Love
    8. Hey Joe
    9. Purple Haze
    10. Voodoo Child (slight return)

Attachment 6106

Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 96 Posts

Re: 1969-01-17 Jahrhunderthalle, Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany

Last edited by Olvator; 03-15-11 at 05:59 AM.

Thanks

There were 2 shows on this night. The setlist is from the late show.

crazy_cat Guest

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 485 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 04-01-16 at 05:23 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Friday 17 January 1969
    Frankfurt, Jahrhunderthalle [‘Century Hall’], Pfaffenwiese, West Germany. JHE
    Two shows at 19:00 and 21:45), sold out
    As there are lots of soldiers in the audience, Jimi includes snippets of “Reveille” and the “Last Post” during the performance.
    Support: Eire Apparent
    Promoter: Lippmann & Rau
    Poster: Psyche art with cables coming out his hair by Gunther Kieser
    Audience: 2,021 each show.

Songs 1st show:

Stone Free
    Foxy Lady
    The Wind Cries Mary
    Sunshine Of Your Love (Jack Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
    and others unknown

Songs 2nd show:

Come On (Part 1) (9) (Earl ‘King’ Johnson)
    Fire (50)
    Red House (43)
    I Don’t Live Today (30)
    Little Wing (13)
    Foxy Lady (55)
    Sunshine Of Your Love (21) (Jack Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
    Hey Joe (46) (Billy Roberts)
    Purple Haze (64)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (44)

Feder [‘Pen’] #2, February) interview in the dressing room by Eckart Scheld (student) –
    ES: “What do you think of Bob Dylan?
    Jimi: ‘He is doing his thing, although he’s not in top form at the moment... I dig him, he gave me a lot of inspiration.”

Frankfurter Rundschau (‘Frankfurt Review’ 20 January) ‘Sounds from Utopia’ – review by Wolfgang Vogel: “Experience means ‘Erfahrung’. When you hear the music of this group, it is not verbal coquetry with some sort of existential philosophy. ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’: this means musical balance, a way upwards, and adaption of many different styles of guitar: blues, rock, gospel, soul, and concrete music in one. Enormously electrified, amplified by huge loudspeakers, distorted by modulations going head over heels, an ecstatic divine service is taking place on stage, a service that comes down to a fight with the instrument, moreover a conquest, with the obstacles being swept away, plucked, torn. The guitar shows what it can do, and Hendrix is the master. Musically he reaches far beyond the listening possibilities of his audience who are familiar with occidental harmonies. He doesn’t abide by scales, and it isn’t the proper blues he plays, but music with a different harmony pattern: he never sticks to the given time signature during his chorus. He goes over or under, exactly as it suits him, and his generally young public honours every variant with ecstatic applause, which becomes hardly audible, because the amplifiers demand the ultimate from the loudspeakers and drown it. This is utopian music, very close to Free Jazz and Musique Concrete. How else can we interpret these sound convulsions? The lyrics he sings are rooted in the same poetic range from which most of the blues originate. They are simple lines, describing and characterizing everyday life. But in contrast with the blues singer, who is always telling a story, the words of Hendrix tell none. Here omission dominates; Hendrix only gives suggestions. Into the droning of the instruments he throws code signals, key sentences which enlighten his own mentality as well as his audience’s, who, in its enthusiasm, understands it all. Thus the event develops finally into an exorcism, into a future utopian sound painting, synthetic and abstract like the world that is to come. The Jimi Hendrix Experience is an experience of the day after tomorrow, already made today. This aspect lifts Hendrix and his two musicians above the usual rock and beat groups, making them into something unique. Here we can hear music which one day will enter the history of music as a revolution like bop or free jazz.
    The Eire Apparent from Ireland, who started the concert, did not live up to our expectations. They stayed in the conventional frame, which Bob Dylan had once drawn with ‘Highway 61.’

P.S. During the entire concert of the Jimi Hendrix Experience there was only one jarring note - courtesy of the blue-dressed Jahrhunderthalle security. Called by the musicians -and there is no accounting for taste – ‘the hall SS,’ these gentlemen did their part to upset the end of the concert. How else can it be explained that glass was broken when the audience for the first show tried to leave the hall, while the audience for the second show wanted to get inside. This clearly showed incompetence.”

Gerhard Schinzel (UniVibes subscriber): “The guy who taped this show may forever remain anonymous. The story is this: I went to the first show and a friend from school attended the second show. This friend saw somebody taping and hit him up for the tape. As far as I can remember he borrowed the tape, then let me have it to make a copy. I also remember that the actual taper was an American guy. If this is correct, he may have been in the US army and returned home at some later point.
    About 15 years ago, I went over the matter with my school friend who got me the tape, trying to find out what he knew about it all or what kind of copy he had kept. Much to my surprise he did not remember anything about the whole affair! He denied ever having kept a copy for himself, so maybe he was content having just listened to the tape.”

18 No gig – Frankfurt?
    US:
    Crosstown Traffic last entry 68 Cash Box
    Crosstown Traffic last entry 56 Billboard
    AYE ? Billboard
    ELL ? Billboard
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Frankfurt