3. Catfish Blues
    4. Dear Mr Fantasy (part 1) **
    5. Dear Mr Fantasy (part 2) **
    6. Purple Haze **

** indicates Buddy Miles on drums

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 485 Posts

Re: 1968-02-04 Fillmore West, San Francisco, California USA

Last edited by billo528; 04-02-16 at 03:40 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There were 2 shows on this night. The setlist is from the late show.

Thanks

A quick correction:
    This show was actually performed at the Fillmore Auditorium, and not at the Fillmore West. (Different venues/locations)

Because the original Fillmore Auditorium was a small venue in a bad neighborhood, Bill Graham took over the old Carousel Ballroom and in July of 1968 re-named it the Fillmore West to accommodate the larger crowds that were showing up to rock shows.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 380 Posts

Tickets

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Luigi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

On the official release for this concert 'Dear Mr. Fantasy' is split into two parts with it fading out and in again, is the complete version of this song available?
    Is the microphone on?

Thanks

Where can I find a decent copy of this show? What happened to the rest of the recordings, is this all that exists?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AstroVoodoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here's a nice account of the Feb. '68 shows on the Dagger Records site (I forget, but it may be on the CD too)

http://www.daggerrecords.com/disc6.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here's a picture of Janis and Jimi backstage from Jim Marshall's new book.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pi...-free-20141028

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Sunday 4 February 1968
    San Francisco, Winterland, 2000 Post Street, CA, USA. JHE
    It was never and no one ever called it ‘Ballroom’ or ‘Arena’ (on contracts it was ‘Auditorium’ - same as The Fillmore), but they are all just descriptions, really, not the actual title.
    The sign on the building, advertising and everything else was just ‘Winterland’.
    Two shows
    Show #1: The cowboy hat w’ the purple band & chain link ‘belt’; dark jacket; the black leather ‘cowboy’ waistcoat; the ‘lozenge’ pattern shirt; the choker necklace & 1st appearance of the ‘turkey’ medallion; R. one ring; L. 2 rings; black charro trousers w’ the round chain-link belt & green/yellow neckerchief belt; white/rose strat w’ the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap, the painted flying V + spare strat (rose).
    Show #2: The cowboy hat w’ the purple band & chain link ‘belt’; the black leather ‘cowboy’ waistcoat; the purple & gold satin shirt; necklaces; R. one ring; L. 2 rings; black charro trousers w’ the round chain-link belt & green/yellow neckerchief belt; the painted flying V w’ ‘floral roundels’ strap & white strat [w’ ‘0’s & X’s’?] strap.
    Support: Albert King; John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers; Big Brother And The Holding Company.
    Buddy Miles played drums on ‘Dear Mr. Fantasy’
    Lights: Holy See
    Promoter: Bill Graham
    Audience ~ 3,500 ea show

Songs 1st show:

Killing Floor (23i) (Chester ‘Howlin’ Wolf’ Burnett)
    Red House (89)
    Catfish Blues (13)
    Dear Mr. Fantasy (1i) (Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi & Chris Wood)
    Purple Haze (115i)
    and possibly others unknown?

Songs 2nd show: unknown

Noel: “The gigs are packed out. Bill Graham is so pleased he gives us each a watch. I wonder what Jeffrey got!”

“The shows were flying in. At one point Bill Graham gave each of us a wristatch. (Jimi lost his instantly, so I gave him mine.) What was he trying to tell us? That it was time to retire? [someone’s getting paranoid Ed.].”

Steve Stills: “You remember that whole jamming trip that was going down in ’68 and ’69? Buddy Miles and I started that… and Duane Allman and I used to do that even before then. When The Hourglass was at Winterland, me and Duane would show up and ask anybody who looked like they could play guitar if they wanted to jam.”

Mitch: “Not being able to hear meant that I had no real idea of how the band sounded live.
    When we played Winterland in San Francisco in [February] '68, [...] I asked Buddy if he would take over for a couple of numbers, so that I could go out into the audience and listen to the band. It was a revelation. I wish the technology had been available then; it would have changed things to a giant degree.
    Later on when we were headlining in the States I thought, ‘Sod this', and bought four huge Voice of the Theatre speakers to use as makeshift monitors, but it was far from perfect.”

Sunday 4 February
    USA (Phoenix)
    ARIZONA REPUBLIC (page 4N) ‘You Heard (?) It Among The Jingles’ By Troy Irvine: Stretched out in front of the, stereo earphones turning your head into a band-shell with the Beatles vibrat*ing "I Am the Walrus."
    (It's two months ago, before the "Magical Mystery Tour" album. Before the 45 rpm was even available, when the Wal*rus lyrics were a strain to un*derstand.)
    Near the end, concentrating to hear "King Lear"-borrowed lyrics, you catch a line: "Look. Is he dead? Sit you down fa-YOU HEARD IT FIRST ON (any station). EXCLUSIVE!!!" (Whistles blow, bells ring.) A jingle plays, call letters boom forth and a coldly exciting mechanical voice tells you that you just heard the Beatles.
    BUT YOU REALLY didn't, because he wouldn't let you, leaving the lyrics before final curtain.
    The next record is cued. (More forced enthusiasm.) Hendrlx is announced and, oh man, you finger the bass dial up for the "Purple Haze" controlled sound explosion and lean back to ride the sound waves.
    What? What happened to Hendrix? Did the record start late? And you realise that you just couldn't hear it, 'cause blabber mouth is still hyping the heck out of something.
    If you're a pop aficionado, the realisation smacks you right in the wallet. To hear a complete pop recording in Phoenix—from first audible groove to last—you've got to purchase the album and play it yourself.
    BECAUSE, unfortunately, most disc Jockeys play disc jockey, rather than play records [etc....]
    [...]
    Skaggs Drug Centers presents: [B&W photo of Axis cover] “The Jimi Hendrix Experience” (Reg 4.79) 2.77 Appearing in Phoenix [sic, ‘Tempe’] Feb. 5th.
    Jimi Hendrix Album available at all Skaggs Drug Centers
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-09-16 at 11:29 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: