Thread: 1968-02-05 Sun Devil's Gym, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona USA

Thanks

1968-02-05 Sun Devil's Gym, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona USA

Monday, February 5th, 1968

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced

Thanks

Re: 1968-02-05 Sun Devil's Gym, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona USA

Great photos available at this site. http://www.photoflashbacks.com/pages/jimi_hendrix.shtml

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 485 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 03-29-16 at 08:28 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Attachment 13416 Clearer jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to buffalorattle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,058 Posts

Monday 5 February 1968
    Tempe, Sun Devils Gym, Arizona State University, USA. JHE
    Concert at 20:30.
    The cowboy hat; the ‘Afghan’ waistcoat; the purple and gold satin shirt[?]; the ‘choker’, beaded native & the ‘turkey’ necklaces; R. pinky ring, L. 1 ring & the bracelet; black trousers w’ neckerchief belt & the ‘Navajo’ belt; white/rose strat w’ the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap.
    photo? [The cowboy hat w’ the purple band, chain link ‘belt’, feather & ‘star’; the ‘Afghan’ waistcoat; the ‘lozenge’ pattern shirt; the choker; R. one ring, L. 3 rings & the bracelet; [colour?] trousers w’ [colour?] neckerchief belt; white/rose strat w’ the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap.?
    Support: Soft Machine with The Mark Boyle Sensual Laboratory light show.
    ‘Presenter’: ASU Sigma Chi men’s fraternity
    Promoter: Barry Fey of Denver’s Family Dog
    Bob Gately [promoter, worked with Fey]: “when we brought Hendrix to the Valley we had over 3,000 happy customers and a good show.”
    Tickets: $3.00
    Audience 3,000 (capacity ~ 5,000)

Songs: unknown

Neville Chesters: “Not a very good show.”

State Press (7 February) ‘Experience excites crowd’ - backstage interview by Dave Gurzneski: “It was Monday night in the Sun Devil Gym and the Soft Machine was in front of a sold-out audience setting the stage for what was to come. The crowd gratefully applauded the sights and sounds being produced, but an occasional ‘Put on Jimi Hendrix’ left no doubt who had attracted this migration of onlookers to the gym the first night of spring classes. The growing anticipation was evident backstage at 8:15 p.m. as people scrambled in and out gathering the loose ends and checking arrangements. But among the flurry sat one man, his bellbottom covered legs stretched out from the bench as his back rested against a row of lockers. He was disconnected from the havoc and acted almost unconcerned with what was going on around him. This was Jimi Hendrix. He smiled warmly when introduced and spoke so softly that it was difficult to pick his words out of the surrounding noise.
    Jimi: ‘Oh, I’m a little worried,’
    - Hendrix confessed when asked about his easy manner.
    Jimi: ‘They’re having trouble with the amplifiers, and those out there aren’t the ones we normally use,’
    - he said -
    Jimi: ‘[Another] hang-up [that would cause my performance to be below expectations is this cold which I’ve had since the beginning of the tour.]’
    - Hendrix feared -
    Jimi: ‘And then, of course, those kids out there expect to hear the records we have cut and think we will sound exactly the same tonight. Sometimes a three minute record might stretch into ten. So much depends on the audience,’
    - he explained.
    […] It was now 8:30 and someone called out that all was ready. He panicked for a minute when he thought his hat was missing - some one had stolen the original in Copenhagen -but then finding it, he regained his quiet composure and moved through the swinging doors and up to the stage. Hendrix slipped on his guitar as though it was another piece of clothing. He touched it, made it speak and sing. He played it in a dozen different positions, including between his legs and with his teeth. There was no limit set for this man and his instrument. His two English partners in the Experience - drummer Mitch Mitchell and bass guitarist Noel Redding - waited, watched and marvelled with the crowd until Hendrix and guitar were ready for them. The climax came with a tremendous explosion of electronic wavelengths. The once quiet Hendrix was now on top in his own world, and the crowd understood and shared in part of it too. It was a good Experience.’

Sunday Mirror (11 February).unknown reporter: “Jimi had just finished entertaining (or fooling) an audience of about 20,000 people in Phoenix [sic, 3,000 in ‘Tempe’] Arizona, when I phoned him.
    Jimi: ‘Man, that Seattle thing is really something, the only keys I expected to see in that town were of the jailhouse. When I was a kid there I often nearly got caught by the cops. I was always gone on wearing hip clothes and the only way to get them was through the back window of a clothing store. I wonder if my old school teacher digs me getting the freedom of Seattle? She was a good looker, but she got me thrown out. I was talking to some chick during the lessons and this teacher got mad. I said: ‘What’s the matter, are you jealous?’ That’s the last time I saw her. Maybe she’s a Daughter of the Revolution now.”

Saturday 20 January 1968
    USA (Phoenix)
    ARIZONA REPUBLIC (page 70) Swing Around The Valley By Troy Irvine: The Jimi Hendrix Experience, who stole the show at the Monterey Pop Festival last summer, will appear at the ASU men's gym at 8 p.m. Feb. 5. It will be the first performance on his U.S. tour.
    Accompanying Hendrix will be an English group called the Soft Machine, which incidentally is the title of a book by William Burroughs.
    There will be limited seating of 5,100 for the two-hour show which will include hits off Hendrix' new album now available on Reprise.
    Tickets at $3 are on sale at Bill's Records Uptown Plaza, the Serendipity Shop, Liquid Giraffe, Melody Records, Murray's Stereo and on campus at ASU.
    The show is promoted by Sigma Chi men's social fraternity at ASU, who also will present the Hendrix show the next evening in Tucson on the UofA campus.
    Hendrix' troupe will be met at Sky Harbor airport by two limousines after a flight from New York.
    Selected as top pop artist of 1967 by this critic, Hendrix is the best pop guitarist yet to perform In the Valley.
    JUST 12 DAYS AFTER Hendrix —Feb. 17— the Doors will appear at the Coliseum along with, possibly, the Sunshine Company. Tickets for the concert of $2.50, $3 and $4 will go on sale Tuesday at Community box offices and the coliseum box office.
    Show time will be 8 p.m.
    Last edited by stplsd; 11-22-16 at 04:09 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: