Thread: 1968-02-08 Men's Gym, Sacramento State College, Sacramento, California USA

Thanks

1968-02-08 Men's Gym, Sacramento State College, Sacramento, California USA

Thursday, February 8th, 1968

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced

Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 08-25-11 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,518 Times in 485 Posts

Re: 1968-02-08 Men's Gym, Sacramento State College, Sacramento, California USA

3 color poster
    and 2 color handbill
    Last edited by billo528; 04-04-16 at 08:36 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wednesday February 7th 1968 wasn't a normal day, you know, get up, get going, and take care of regular things, instead it was a day to take care of something which revolved around one thing; Jimi Hendrix and company were supposed to arrive at the Sacramento airport that afternoon for our concert the next night. Since talking to Hendrix in San Francisco we'd continued advertising the concert even though we'd never gotten a signed contract back so we were flying on hope and trust alone, but were prepared to pick them up at the airport according to the contract rider they'd sent. It called for a limo and three cars to take them to the hotel, “Buick’s or Cadillac’s are preferred”, and a truck for the equipment. We arranged for the limo and managed to get a Cadillac and another “big” car from some girlfriends parents and we borrowed the truck from the local music store for free tickets. We gathered at noon and agreed to meet at the airport at 3:00 p.m. The plane we hoped they were on was due in at 4:45. We did know they had played the night before in Tucson so we found out what gate the incoming plane from Arizona was arriving at and asked the ticket agent there if this was the plane Jimi Hendrix was on. The agent kinda coughed and said they couldn't release the names of the passengers. We took a few steps back to decide what do next and when I looked back at the ticket agent and he slightly nodded “yes”. Collectively our spirits rose, it was gonna happen. After what seemed to be a very long time we saw a plane taxi up to the covered extended ramp and heard it shut down its engines. Shortly an airline agent opened the door leading down to the plane and people started coming up the ramp. As people filed off I heard some of them who had people waiting for them to stick around, “hang on, you have to see this!” A small crowd formed and suddenly coming up the ramp in rainbow colored splendor were Jimi Hendrix, Noel Redding, and Mitch Mitchell. Brilliant waistcoats, hats with feathers and plumes, jewelry, bags slung over shoulders, wild boots and confident smiles; they were on stage right then. Time froze for those who had never seen anything like that up-close and as the rest of their entourage passed by audible whispers, snickers, and conversation filled the area. Digital cameras and cell phone cameras would have working overtime that day and I bet there isn't one person who was there that has ever forgotten that experience!

Like everything else up to this point the transportation rider was different than what was really happening. All the equipment was in a truck coming from Arizona and they'd rented several cars from Hertz but Jimi and a couple people wanted to ride in the limo we hired so we had a rock and roll caravan through town to the Holiday Inn where they told us they were staying. Pulling into the parking lot was a preview of what was going to be happening; we hadn't even known they were coming for sure, but in the parking lot were a couple dozen girls waiting for them! How they knew what time they were getting there, and where they were staying, could only be attributed to them having met someone when the band played in San Francisco that knew what was happening; they definitely had inside information!
    A couple of minutes later the tour manager had the rooms and Hendrix and company headed to their respective palaces with several guests. As promoters we'd set aside a bit of cash to offer to buy Jimi and his buddies dinner or a beer or two if they felt like it. The tour manager thought that was a good idea so we went up to Jimi’s room to see if he wanted to go. We knocked on the door and when it opened clouds of smoke escaped and as we walked inside we saw Mitch, Noel and Jimi all taking super 8 movies of each other horsing around. Like kids they bounced all over posing and surprising people with a camera to the face. It was quite a sight and when I looked down at the coffee table I saw a huge baggie full of hardball size balls of golden hashish. I had met the attorney traveling with them at the airport and saw him standing near the bathroom watching intently. I walked over to him to say hi and he looked at me and said; “see why they have me along?” I told him I understood there was more to the legal side of rock and roll than just non-existent contracts and useless contract riders. “Yes, you must keep an eye on the boys” he continued in his proper English accent, “you never know about these lads and the young women who cross their paths. Speaking of that, Gerry the tour manager said you wanted to spot us a bite in the restaurant. Is that correct?”
    I told him yes and he walked through the smoke and chaos to the center of the room. “Okay lads, we're off for a bite, gather up!”

Jimi part 3. Let's go hear some music!
    Well, Jimi passed on going down to the restaurant opting to stay in the his room with several of his new found friends and a couple of guys from our club so a few of us, their guys, and Mitch and Noel descended on the unsuspecting restaurant staff and proceeded to give them about 45 minutes of complete, but colorful, confusion. Items as common as mustard drew questions from the Englishmen “why do Americans put Mustard on everything?” referring to two of our guys who were putting it on their hot-dogs and hamburgers. “Ketchup too, probably put it on ice cream!” They were definitely the focus of attention the restaurant and were relishing the stares from the “normal” patrons.
    After our little journey to the restaurant we went back up to Jimi’s room where Jimi and the others were enjoying themselves with a variety of substances all geared to bring on fun and frivolity! We all kind of stood around jabbering for a few minutes then a plan was hatched. Jimi had heard that blues legend Bobby Blue Bland was playing that night at the Warehouse, a large nightclub not far from the hotel and could we go there?
    By now the limo was gone so it was back to the cars we had so Jimi and Mitch and their road manager Gerry and six of us split up into three cars and shot several blocks away to the club. We got to the door and the sign said Bobby Blue Bland was indeed playing but it was the next Wednesday! Undaunted we proceeded to enter the club to catch the band who was performing and I will never forget the look of disbelief on the their lead singers face when he saw Jimi Hendrix sitting down at a table not far from the stage. Jimi tipped his hat to the singer and the poor guy just about dropped. He regained his composure long enough to finish the song then announce that it was break time! Gracious as ever, Jimi walked over to the stunned band and introduced himself and offered to buy them a round. They all shook hands and made small talk for a minute then Jimi returned to the table and the party was officially on.
    The Warehouse was a big place with a couple of barrooms, one for rock music one for soul and blues music. We were in the soul/blues room which had three African American waitresses who were looking at us like we were from another planet. Since I had the cash for the “welcoming” party I ordered several pitchers of beer from the one of the waitresses and after she brought them over I went to pay her and she motioned for me to follow her. I followed her back up to the bar and the other two women came over and the question was; “who is that brother in the wild hat?” They had probably never even seen a picture of Jimi Hendrix since they were much more soul music girls than rocker girls so when I told them who it was they just looked at one another and shrugged. “Okay then have you heard Foxy Lady?” I asked. Two answered at the same time “Oh yeah! That is a cool song, is that really the dude that sings it? He's kinda cute.” I assured them he was and they managed to make a trip or two to our section every few minutes from then on, smiling the whole time!
    The night was flying by and it was closing time before we knew it so Jimi and a few others said they wanted to stop and get something to eat before calling it a night. There were several people who were very cosmically high and food wasn't something they were thinking about but the whole group decided to head to the Carl Greer Inn just down the road. Everyone insisted I invite the waitresses, which I did, and they showed up and joined us a little later. That was a double take for the night staff I can tell you, we were in fine form; loud, happy, colorful and stoned, then on top of it the three women from the club show up all styling and looking Foxy and adding some more flash to our circus!
    After we all finished Jimi handed me a bunch of money under the table and insisted; “pay for it with this man,” so I paid up and we were off into the night. When we left the crew from the restaurant and the other patrons who had been watching the whole scene started waving good-bye and cracking up. I don't think they'd experienced anything like that before!
    As we glided back into the hotel parking lot I saw more girls waiting and as we got out of the cars to say goodnight to Jimi and company I knew that the band and traveling entourage weren't going to be calling it a night soon. So those of us who were leaving shook hands with all the guys and vowed to have a great concert that evening!!

Jimi; part 4.
    Well I don't know how much rest anyone got the night before the concert. It was late when we called it a night and dawn crept up early. From there on it was the fire drill routine. Get to Sac State, get keys to the gym, let the crew with the portable stage in, help cover the gym floor with a tarp, watch Jimi’s equipment truck arrive with his equipment and that of The Soft Machine an English psychedelic progressive rock/jazz band traveling with him, and a bunch of light show equipment from a German light show company whose equipment wasn't compatible with American electricity. That was ok though because we had our own light show which we set up behind the stage to light up the transparent screens we hung from the rafters. Then more equipment and the PA system arrived as The Creators, our opening band showed up. Two of the members of that band, also in our club, assembled the PA system while we set up the rented super trooper spot lights to front light the stage. Fortunately since we'd already had Big Brother and the Holding company with Janis Joplin we had a good idea how to get it all set up although it must have looked like a completely unorganized bunch of hippies as we went about our tasks; but we got it all ready to roll.
    We got the key to the box office and several of us got that set up and ready to open well in advance of the concert and began counting the money we'd taken in from ticket sales on campus and from Tower Records Tickets. We had a lot as sales had been good and as soon as we opened there were people buying what we had left.
    Two cops had been hired and about twenty minutes after we opened the doors to let people in the Fire Marshall showed up. The sight of the rapidly filling gymnasium brought a startled look to his face and I know he wanted to shut us down for being over capacity. However, he sucked it up and told me he'd have to go back and check some regulations and if he found any violations he'd return. He never came back! The cops were cooler, the two we'd hired had worked the Janis Joplin concert for us and they saw that it was a total hippie show with the same audience that was at that one, so they didn't anticipate any trouble. That was before the heavy duty drug onslaught, although no doubt some chemical concoctions from guys like Stanley Owsley were mixed in with the happy smoke, I mean Jimi did sing “Purple Haze” so it was fitting!
    Anyway, the cops knew that except for an occasional bad trip people were there to party and rock out to someone most of them had never seen, but had heard about! It was going to be a party not a riot!
    The first bizarre thing that happened was one of the light show operators had placed some tiny brine shrimp in a mixture of mineral oil and food coloring in clear plates and put it on an overhead projector. The shrimp would swim around and when projected on the screen there was a vivid image of a swirling mass of color with little things darting to and fro. The problem was that after testing it the operator forgot to shut off the projector and the poor shrimp got cooked! Needless to say they scratched that from the show.
    The second thing was the drummer for The Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt, only wearing a loin cloth, had a massive migraine headache backstage right before they were set to go on. He lay writhing on the floor everybody held their breath. There were no medical personal around, we never thought that far ahead, but with cold towels applied to his head and encouragement from his band mates, Jimi and all his guys, he rose like a boxer getting up off the canvas and took the stairs up to the stage and magnificently leaped over the front his drums with loin cloth flying and began pounding the hell out of them.
    At that point I had to go back to the box office and settle up with Gerry the road manager for the rest of the money we owed on the contract. It was strictly a cash deal with Gerry and I sitting at a table with a stack of cash and counting it out. Hell we didn't even have the door locked, but you know, one just didn't worry about that in that era. We heard the Soft Machine finish and the applause of the crowd so Gerry and I stopped counting and headed back to the dressing room which was the Men's locker room in the gym complete with two complementary six packs of beer a stack of clean towels!
    The crowd was excited to see Jimi and the energy was way up and walking through them behind the bleachers was amazing. It was a giant buzzed feeling, something was about to happen.
    Inside the dressing room Jimi, Mitch and Noel were standing around waiting. The girls from the Parking Lot were there with cameras and had taken pictures and there were some other people there but it was totally the calm before the storm. Hardly any conversation. Gerry was the guy who led them up to the stage so when we got there he gathered them up and headed to the stage. Everyone else took off to get out front and shortly after Jimi hit the first note in a totally quiet gymnasium and you could hear the crowd accepting it, Gerry re-appeared and we went back to the box office to take care of the rest of the business.
    From the time we re-entered the box office until we finished the only sounds we could hear were the screaming guitar riffs from Jimi, the distinctive sound of Jimi’s vocals and the booming bass and thudding drums amid the cheers and wild applause of the excited crowd. Then as suddenly as it began there was a final smash of a drum ending it all. For a moment there was total silence then and explosive roar and Jimi was gone and the bright gymnasium lights came on revealing several thousand people standing and trying to decide what they'd experienced. Gerry and I shook hands and took our respective sacks of cash and set about our after show duties. I saw Jimi once again, thanked him, shook hands and just like he had entered our lives he tipped his hat, smiled his magical smile and disappeared into a moving crowd of colorful English characters as they got into the waiting vehicles and sped off to another adventure.
    After that show they banned rock concerts in the Men's Gymnasium but for those several thousand people who had been there, the mention of Hendrix at Sac State still brings smiles to their faces!!

source: http://www.hollywoodhangover.com/htm...ultze_page.htm

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 658 Posts

There is a book (?) on this concert:

Jimi Hendrix: The concert at Sacramento State College Men's Gym, February 8, 1968 : an oral history

Matt Taylor (Author)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jimi-Hendrix.../dp/B0006FDO4I

Thanks

850 Jimi Hendrix

Currency:USD Category:Collectibles / Autographs Start Price:NA Estimated At:2,000.00 - 3,000.00 USD

Bidding Over

The auction is over for this item.
    The auctioneer wasn't accepting online bids for this item.

Contact the auctioneer for information on the auction results.

Search for other items to bid on...
    Auction Date:2011 Apr 13 @ 19:00 (UTC-5 : EST/CDT)
    Location:5 Rt 101A Suite 5, Amherst, New Hampshire, 03031, U

Scarce vintage ballpoint signature and inscription, “Love to Jill, Jimi Hendrix,” on an off-white 9 x 6 sheet. In very good condition, with intersecting folds passing through his name, light toning, and show-through from past mounting residue on the reverse. Accompanied by an original glossy publicity photo from 1968 and a facsimile handbill from the February 1968 Sacramento State College concert signed by artist Jim Ford. According to the consignor, the signature was obtained at that Sacramento concert.

Also accompanied by a 2000 Experience Hendrix magazine with an article on the aforementioned event and a self-published book discussing the show in detail. Performed at the Men’s Gym at Sacramento State College on February 8, 1968, this Hendrix concert was organized by a group of ambitious college students who—acting as promoters—formed an organization Students for the Appreciation of Pop Music to take advantage of the school’s available arena. After securing the facility, they invited the guitarist to perform…and anxiously awaited to see whether he would actually show up. Having never received a signed contract, a group of the students drove to San Francisco where Hendrix and the Experience were performing in order to verify a commitment—getting into his dressing room but never actually speaking with Hendrix. The best they could muster was word from their manager: ‘Don’t worry about it.’ In the end, more than 4,000 came out to see the show…as did Hendrix and his band.

http://www.icollector.com/Jimi-Hendrix_i10392829

Thanks

A sadly unreadable newspaper clipping and a photograph on the EH site

http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/encycl...444&per_page=5

Thanks

From the French site (with pic):

set list:

1. Are You Experienced ?
    2. Fire
    3. The Wind Cries Mary
    4. Manic Depression
    5. Foxy Lady
    6. Hey Joe
    7. I Don’t Live Today
    8. Third Stone from The Sun
    9. Purple Haze

http://jimihendrix.forumactif.net/t8...8-fevrier-1968

Thanks

Skip Maggiora, guitarist of the Creators, tells how they became the opening act for the Experience at the Sacramento State College concert:

After high school Maggiora went to the Engineering School at Sacrament State College, and he played in several bands before landing a spot with The Creators, based out of Lake Tahoe. “I had a bunch of contacts for gigs in Sacramento and they had contacts in Tahoe. We would play the Sacramento jobs during the school year and then move up to Tahoe and play around the lake during the summers.”
    School had increasingly become a distraction, for he had already decided that he wanted to pursue music. “We knew that if we wanted to be discovered, we had to be seen playing at the big concerts. We fought hard to get the opening act job at the local concerts and while we were willing to play for free, we only landed a few of the major acts. I knew there must be a better way.”

In 1967, one of the roadies he had met returned from Europe with a test pressing of an album. The album had “Hendrix” written across it in black felt pen. He placed his A7 PA speakers three feet apart and threw a blanket over the speakers (no, he didn’t have headphones). “After just a few songs I screamed, ‘We have to hire this guy to close for us!’” Stunningly, though he hadn’t finished the album left, they called up Hendrix and he agreed to play with them when he toured the U.S. “We had to send him a 50 percent deposit of $1,500 to play in February of 1968.” They finagled a venue – Sacramento State College’s gym – by answering affirmative to their question, “Would this event be culturally stimulating to the student body?” “No problem there with Hendrix!” Skip laughs.
    Even though legendary promoter Bill Graham ended up booking Hendrix the day before for $30,000, Hendrix showed up for the $3,000 gig Maggiora had put together. “Jimi drove up in a red MGB sports car with his 200 watt Marshall head sticking up behind the seat. It was a night that I’ll never forget.”

http://www.mmrmagazine.com/2091/arti...music-through/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Thursday 8 February 1968 1 ~ 45 min show
    Sacramento State College, Men’s Gym, CA.
    JHE had flown in from Phoenix (~ 2 hour flight) the day before and were staying at the Holiday Inn.
    [The Orangeburg S.C. massacre took place that evening, 200 unarmed ‘black’ students from S.C. State College were holding a meeting on a campus field about de-segregating the local bowling alley, items were thrown and a patrolman was hurt (allegedly), 5 minutes later 9 members of the S.C. Highway patrol attacked, shooting into the fleeing crowd with heavy buckshot and revolvers, three students were killed (one not involved sitting nearby) and 27 were hospitalized, one suffered a miscarriage. None of the patrol men (murderers) were punished. But a wounded student was later fitted up with a bogus charge of inciting a riot and given a 7 month jail sentence!]
    The Holiday Inn. JHE are interviewed by Harrry Martin of KCRA TV, colour film.
    The cowboy hat w’ the purple band, chain link band & feather; the black jacket, the black ‘cowboy’ waistcoat; a pink shirt; the chandelier necklace; R. one ring; purple trousers with the ‘Navajo’ belt.
    Concert 19:30.
    The cowboy hat w’ the purple band, chain link band & feather; the black leather ‘cowboy’ waistcoat; the black ruffled shirt; the chandelier necklace; R. one ring; black trousers; white/rose strat w’ the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap.
    Support: Soft Machine with The Mark Boyle Sensual Laboratory light show; The Creators.
    Lights: Simultaneous Avalanche
    Promoter: S.F.T.A.O.P.M.
    Poster: Psyche art by Jim Ford and ‘Art Print’, pink, black & orange on white
    Audience: 4,000+, sold out
    Songs:

Are You Experienced
    Fire
    The Wind Cries Mary
    Manic Depression
    Foxy Lady
    Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)
    I Don’t Live Today
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Purple Haze
    and others unknown?

Hugh Hopper: “We started out first of all flying the gear. But this was before [the] flightcase stage. So in fact a lot of the things got broken, amplifiers got smashed; so in the end it wasn’t worth flying. So we had to drive, so it meant driving overnight to the next gig... We were always late, every gig. I think we never were on time at all. Because it was such long distances...”

Matt Taylor: “Jimi goes to college - Jimi, Mitch, and Noel arrived at Sacramento Metropolitan Airport the evening of Wednesday, 7 February, and checked into a Holiday Inn northeast of down town. Accompanied since their arrival by members and friends of the student group presenting the concert, Jimi and Mitch decided to go see a band at a nightclub and afterward went for a late dinner. On the 8th, an interview with the band was filmed at the hotel for KCRA-TV, and print interviews were done with Karen Vitlip (The Sacramento Union) and Debbie Smith (Teenset). The concert venue, a basketball gymnasium, featured a large, flat floor for the audience to sit on, and bleacher-style seats were available along the sidelines. At the far end of the gym was the stage. Photos show Jimi playing a white Strat’ with rosewood fretboard. A dark Flying V was positioned on Jimi’s side of the stage, but accounts differ as to whether he played it that night. A photo shows Noel playing his usual sunburst Fender bass through what may be a Fender Bassman amp. Though one person thought Mitch played on The Creators’ drum kit, Mitch most likely had his own kit with him. Simultaneous Avalanche, a local psychedelic lighting group, supplied a rear-projection liquid light show upon a large curtain or screen hanging from the ceiling behind the stage. The stage was illuminated by two spotlights, each positioned at the top of the two bleachers. A sell-out crowd packed the gym as local band The Creators opened with a mix of originals and re-worked cover tunes such as Buddy Holly’s ‘Not Fade Away.’ The Creators supplied the PA., a simple Altec system with model A7 ‘Voice Of The Theatre’ speakers set up on each side of the stage.”
    Last edited by stplsd; 11-23-16 at 06:20 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: