Friday, February 9th, 1968

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced

Thanks

Re: 1968-02-09 Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California USA

There were 2 shows on this night.

Thanks

Some cool shots from Anaheim available at this site http://www.davidhiller.com/index.php...0&p=4&a=0&at=0
    Anonymous said... I got curious about show dates of bands I'd seen growing up near the Anaheim Convention center, one of the most notable concerts was missing from your list: Jimi Hendrix: 02-09-68: Convention Centre, Anaheim, California ( 2 shows) Not sure whether I saw the first or second show, but he was pissed off that night and stormed off after about 3 songs.
    source http://gogonotes.blogspot.com/2010/0...r-1969-79.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 485 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 03-29-16 at 10:17 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Friday 9 February 1968
    Anaheim Convention Centre, 800 West Katella Avenue, CA, USA,
    JHE flew into to Los Angeles from Sacramento. Drove to the gig at Anaheim (30 mins. Los Angeles metro area, home of ‘Disneyland’.) and back to L.A. after the gig.
    Neville: “Arrived L.A. 9:30. Drove down to Santa Anna to Fender factory. It took me about two hours to find it. Dropped all gear off for repair, then went for a meal. . .Went back to Fender factory to collect gear, then we took it down to hall. . .2 shows.”
    Two shows, 1st at 20:30.
    Fender amps
    Show#1: The cowboy hat w’ the purple cloth & chain link bands & feather; the ‘Afghan’ waistcoat; the 2 cuff ‘leaves’ shirt; the ‘medal’ necklace & the ‘turkey’ medallion; R. one ring; L. 2 rings; black trousers w’ the ‘Navajo’ belt (1st apperance); white/rose strat/s w’ the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap & the painted flying V w’ the [?] strap.
    Support: Eric Burdon & The Animals; Soft Machine with The Mark Boyle Sensual [“Sense”] Laboratory light show; Eire Apparent.
    Promoter: Mike Tell
    Tickets: $3.00
    Accommodation: Sunset Tower Hotel, West Hollywood, California.
    Songs 1st show : unknown

David Hiller: “I shot Jimi at the Anaheim Convention Center about an hour south of Los Angeles [30 mins. Ed.]. I was shooting for a music publication, Record World, and was allowed to go anywhere. I remember being in front looking up at him and to my amazement saw he was using a quarter for a pick…”

“I am sure it was first show. Didn't remember there was a second... I was shooting for a music publication and I am almost sure the reporter and I left after I took the backstage shots... And I am pretty sure there were more then 4 songs played... It was a long time ago... I do remember him turning around and looking at me so that is when I walked around to the front…”

Record World (03-02-68 p.)
    [Note: no photo] ‘Animals, Hendrix An Experience’ By Ron Baron:
    LOS ANGELES The Jimi Hendrix Experience is by far an RX (riveting experience) never to be prescribed to soothe one's nerves. That's precisely why the crowds flocked to the Anaheim Convention Center on Feb. 9.
    The bombastic electric sound of MGM's Eric Burdon and the Animals complete with its own light show were on the first part of the musical package.
    The beat the Animals played was wild and untamed. It was the kind that compels one to get up and dance, and yet in this type of concert that is prohibited.
    The light show's synchronization to the group's tunes was amazing. Assemblage of color, patterns and film clips effectively added to the mood of the songs.
    During "San Francisco Nights," scenes of San Francisco and of Eric Burdon were projected on the screen. It was a fantastic idea, especially for members of the audience who had to sit a distance from the stage and without this device would never have been able to see the full artistry of Mr. Bur*don.
    The Animals—consisting of Barry Jenkins, John Weider, Danny McCullough and Vic Briggs—ended their act with their current hit, "Monterey."
    By this time the audience was on the edge of their seats and it would take no rooster to alert them that Warners' Hen*drix was next. They were waiting for the experience.
    Noel Redding, bass guitarist of trio, Mitch Mitchell on drums and Jimi took their positions on stage. They were the second half of the show, and strangely enough the three of them achieved in sound what it had taken five animals to do.
    In spite of amplifier problems and Mitchell's cymbal falling off stage, they remembered they are entertainers and gave the people their money's worth. In outstanding numbers like "Foxy Lady" and "Purple Haze," Jimi showed everyone what it is to manipulate a guitar. Whether he picked strings with a quarter or his teeth, he got the point across.”

Unknown: “OMG, how could you leave out the Jimi Hendrix concert (who opened for Eric Burden and the Animals) in 1968?? My first show there was The Byrds and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in 1967. But, Hendrix.....the best! I remember him having equipment problems, but don't remember him storming off the stage [ie 1st show. Ed.].”

stktrader’: “I saw the Hendrix show as well in 1968. I don't remember him leaving. It was a full set. He was playing Are You Experienced songs. It was my first concert at 16.”

Unknown: “I also saw Hendrix in 1968 and he didn't walk off during my show either. First concert and I was in the ninth grade.”

Show#2: The cowboy hat w’ the purple cloth & chain link bands & feather; the ‘Afghan’ waistcoat; a shirt with flowers; the ‘medal’ necklace & the ‘turkey’ medallion; R. one ring; L. 2 rings; the black ‘charro’ trousers w’ the ‘Navajo’ belt; white/rose strat/s w’ the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap.

Songs 2nd show?:

Catfish Blues (McKinley ‘Muddy Waters’ Morganfield, medley)
    [song remarkably similar to Butterfield Blues Band's 'Two Trains Running' (C. June 1966)]
    Purple Haze
    and two others unknown

Neville: “A lot of trouble with gear. Some guys from Sunn amplifiers at show talked to Chas.”

“[The amplifiers broke down during the first show, resulting in only four numbers being played during the second show. After the show Chas and Jimi were approached by Buck Munger representative for Sunn Amplification who replaced their Fender gear (provided at the start of the tour, but not powerful enough for Jimi’s tastes) with brand new Sunn equipment.]”

Hugh Hopper: “In fact a lot of things kept going and finally Hendrix sent for Sound City and Marshall amps from London, his favourite ones and ended up with all the odd gear anway.”

Noel: “Jimi and I are still a bit at odds and I feel he’s a temperamineal [sic] cunt when he fucks up the show…by only singing the occasional word, etc.”

“Jimi started pissing me off more and more as he became chronically temperamental. He fucked up a show in Anaheim by only half-heartedly singing the occasional word. Even the reviewers noted his changed attitude. I was wholly unsympathetic to his 'star' attitude and I deeply resented his refusal to play my song, She's So Fine, when audiences shouted for it. He kept saying: 'We never do anything new.' but refused to rehearse.”

Unknown: “Not sure whether I saw the first or second show, but he was pissed off that night and stormed off after about 3 songs [ie 1st show. Ed.].”

Los Angeles Times (12 February) ‘Burdon headlines concert in Anaheim’ - review by Pete Johnson: “Eric Burdon, Animal turned Primate, should have stayed on all fours, as he demonstrated Friday night in an Anaheim Convention Center concert which also featured the Jimi Hendrix Experience and the Heir Apparent [sic] Burdon was good at growling blues songs such as “House of the Rising Sun,” but his present act is like watching “Swan Lake” performed by a bear in a tutu. He is one of the casualties of rock creativity, perhaps the most embarrassing one because he can sing well and fronts one of the better rock instrumental groups, a quartet which now shares billing with him as Eric Burdon and The Animals. For the second of the two well-attended concerts at the Convention Center, he opened with “If I Were a Carpenter,” mauling Tim Hardin’s delicate lyrics with his crusty voice. Things improved a bit with “Paint It Black,” thanks to some excellent electric violin playing by John Weider. “Rye Whisky” and “Everyday I Have The Blues” followed, the latter reminiscent of 1950s rhythm and blues down to an instrumental section from Joe Houston’s “All Night Long.” This material was more natural for Burdon’s voice but he hammed it up badly. The dramatics had not yet started, as he proved by portraying Flowerman while singing his most recent large hits, “San Franciscan Nights” and “Monterey.” For the finale, Burdon furnished a partially intelligible sermon, based on such lyrical nuggets as “I want to get high on you... I want you to get high on me... I want to be free. A liberally applied smoke generator supplied fitting visual accompaniment for this verbal murk. Plugged in singer-guitarist Jimi Hendrix has calmed down since his first U.S. tour last summer, when his Freudian routine caused several radio stations to ban all his records. He restricted movements to his hands as he wove incredible screams from the guitar. His late performance was brief (four numbers) because, he said, he had blown out his amplifiers during the 8:30 appearance and could not work with what was left. The trio’s best songs were “Catfish Blues,” with a lengthy solo by drummer Mitch Mitchell and ornate guitar work by Hendrix, and “Purple Haze.”

Anaheim Bulletin (14 February) ‘Hendrix concert waste of effort’ - review by Amanda Spake: “[…] The Heir Apparent [sic] a group from Ireland, are fair copiers of well-known rock groups. But its members have seen too many Elvis Presley movies.
    The Soft Machine, an English group, is different, to say the least. The drummer was repulsive, clad only in pink bikini shorts. Their music utilizes dissonance and jazz patterns. I admit they are doing something new but I don’t know how pleasant it is to listen to. Eric Burdon was his usual disgusting self. The Animals are fair musicians, the lead guitar player is even good. But their material reeks. With The Animals was a light show troupe. When The Animals sing ‘San Francisco Nights,’ film of Psychedelic Eric on Haight Street flashes behind the group. This little display puts The Animals on the level of a bad situation comedy on television. The Animals drifted off stage in a cloud of smoke (from their smoke machine) and strobe lights and Jimi Hendrix came on. Hendrix is, of course, noted for his use of fuzz tone, psychedelia, etc. All of this is less than impressive. He can also play guitar with his teeth, which is really boss. But Hendrix has a drummer, Mitch Mitchell, who is fantastic. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him. No matter how hard I tried to listen to Hendrix fuzzing away on his guitar, I kept finding myself listening to his drummer. The bass player, Noel Redding, is excellent. He follows the drummer on his bass giving the music a solid, driving sound. While Hendrix is distorting, reverbing and doing all sorts of other turned-on things, it is more than obvious that Mitchell and Redding are far better musicians than Hendrix.”

Vic Briggs: “Tensions amongst The Animals boiled over that April [sic, Feb] when the band played two shows on the same day at the Anahein Convention Center in Southern California with Jimi Hendrix. The Animals opened on one of the shows, Hendrix the other. In the evening, before the show in which The Animals were due to be the main act, Hendrix, Burdon, McCulloch and Briggs were sitting in a limo outside the venue getting stoned. Burdon suddenly told Hendrix that he was embarrassed that The Animals were closing the show because he was so much better than them. "Danny and I went BALLISTIC", says Briggs. "'Fuck, man! What the fuck's the matter with you? You fucking idiot!' We had a knock down, drag out. Nobody actually hit anybody but.. 'For fuck's sake man, you're a star! Act like a fucking star. Stop kissing ass to Jimi'.”

New Musical Express (23 August 1975). Article on Leslie Perrin (Hendrix’s British PR) by unknown: “He says he liked Hendrix immensely. His favourite anecdote relates to the time they were both waiting for Jimi to go on at Anaheim –

Les Perrin [Jimi’s British PR]: “Jimi was dressed in mauve trousers, a wide-brimmed brown-topped black hat with brass-ringed holes with matching mauve material woven in and out. He had brass buckled shoes, a flowered shirt and a metalworked waistcoat. I was wearing a grey business suit, white shirt and a tie embroidered with the insignia of the ancient Fleet Street journalist’s club, The Wig And Pen. We were standing in the entrance and people were coming in and just staring at him. He turned to me and out the comer of his mouth said, ‘Hey Man - Les - all these people standin’ here starin’ at yuh; ah would’n have it - ah’d stare right back!”

Unknown: “As a relative unknown in 1968, Mike Tell, the nation’s leading rock concert producer, booked Hendrix along with the Animals and grossed more than $62,000 in one night at the Anaheim Convention Center.”
    [Las Vegas Free Press 30 September 1970]

Sharon Lawrence (UPI reporter): “Moments after Les Perrin introduced me to Hendrix, husky-voiced singer Eric Burdon, who was also on the bill, grabbed my arm and said, ‘Come on, let’s go out front. It’s so exciting when Jimi plays.’ The second he made his entrance, this quiet fellow turned into the most lascivious, outrageous, spectacular performer I’d ever seen... had never given much thought to the guitar. But tonight entire universes were emanating from the white Stratocaster which Hendrix played so effortlessly that it appeared to be another limb of his body. The mesmerized audience hardly seemed to notice there were two other musicians on stage with him. I had assumed that all the excitement about The Experience was purely press agentry and hype. Now I comprehended why all the major British guitar players were discussing Hendrix on a daily basis.”
    [Image/San Francisco Examiner & Chronicle - 25 November 1990]

Buck Munger (PR, Sunn Amps.): “Someone invited me, I think it was Chas Chandler, to a gig in Los Angeles [Ahaheim. Ed.] to come and see Jimi, and talk about equipment. So I showed up at this gig, it was in Santa Barbara [? He’s only just said it was ‘Los Angeles’!! Ed.], and had a very quick conversation with Jimi wherein I said "I work for this small company in Oregon, and we make high quality stuff; we use JB Lansing speakers and Dynakit transformers: I had all my little buzz phrases, and I was a musician. He just said, ‘Hey man, set me up for this gig. It's down here, this is the date, have all the stuff there and we'll see what happens’.
    [I can’t remember if it was the Shrine]. It was just the next gig. He was making decisions, and this is what was so surprising to me; with other acts, for instance with Cream, we would rent a theater and set up the gear, and try it with nobody in there to see what the heck was going on. But Jimi was at a stage where things seemed to be happening so fast for him, and he did not have that many options for equipment, except Fender, and a story from Fender. So anybody who broke through with another story, it was "Hey, OK, show up and you got the deal" and that was it.”
    Last edited by stplsd; 06-03-17 at 03:28 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: