Thread: 1968-03-10 International Ballroom, Washington Hilton Hotel, Washington D.C. USA

Thanks

1968-03-10 International Ballroom, Washington Hilton Hotel, Washington D.C. USA

Sunday, March 10th, 1968

1. Killing Floor
    2. Foxy Lady
    3. The Wind Cries Mary
    4. Fire
    5. Red House
    6. I Don't Live Today
    7. Purple Haze
    8. Wild Thing

Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 03-12-11 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 380 Posts

Re: 1968-03-10 International Ballroom, Washington Hilton Hotel, Washington D.C. USA

There were 2 shows on this night. The setlist is from the early show.

crazy_cat Guest

Re: 1968-03-10 International Ballroom, Washington Hilton Hotel, Washington D.C. USA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 489 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 03-31-16 at 07:23 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 380 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,464 Posts

Sunday 10 March 1968
    Washington DC, International Ballroom, Hilton Hotel, Connecticut Ave. & Tom St. N.W., USA. JHE
    Neville: “CONT. HILTON BALLROOM WASHINGTON D.C. Got back into N.Y. 3.30, Hugh went to bed for a couple of hours, I stayed up. Set off for Washington 7.00. Went through Lincoln tunnel then thick FOG NJ Turnpike was closed. We spent hours going round little roads trying to find a way down to Washington. I remebered a way into town and we found Hilton very easily [?] to back loading door 2.00 [?], first show at 3.00 found out that gear had to go miles all round hotel before getting to stage. Told promoter we wouldn’t do it unless they got a lot of guys to help. They did.”
    Outside: The [powder?] blue velvet jacket [see 27-2-68 Madison & 2-3-68 Hunter]; the green, the green & blue on white ‘Paisley’ shirt w. long floppy collar [see 12-9-67 Goteborg show#2]; the jade choker.
    Jimi greets Roy Buchanan backstage, but fails to turn up to jam later.
    Two shows at 15:00 and 20:00.
    Show #1: The cowboy hat w. purple band, chain link ‘belt’, ‘star’ & feather; the ‘Afghan’ waistcoat; the green & blue on white ‘Paisley’ shirt w. long floppy collar [see above & 2-3-68 Hunter]; R. 1 ring, L. 3 rings + the bracelet; the green trousers w. purple neckerchief belt; white/rose strat w. the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap & sunburst w. cloth ‘roundels’ strap + the painted flying V; fuzz face & wah pedal.
    Show #2: The cowboy hat w. the purple band, chain link ‘belt’, ‘star’ & feather; the ‘Afghan’ waistcoat; the 2 cuff ‘leaves’ shirt; R. 1 ring, L. 3 rings + bracelet; the green trousers w. purple neckerchief belt; white/rose strat w. the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap (+ drumstick!) & sunburst strat w. cloth ‘roundels’ strap + the painted flying V; fuzz face.
    Support: Soft Machine with The Mark Boyle Sensual Laboratory light show.
    MC: Warren ‘Cousin’ Duffy, a WPGC DJ
    Poster by Dail Beeghley red & black on gold
    Audience: ~ 4,000
    Accomodation: The Shoreham Hotel, 2500 Calvert Street, N.W.,
    Hotel: The ‘2 cuff ‘leaves’ shirt; the jade choker; R. 1 ring; dark trousers
    Neville: “Show started 3.30.”
    Songs 1st show:

Killing Floor (12) (Chester ‘Howlin’ Wolf’ Burnett)
    Foxy Lady (23)
    The Wind Cries Mary (19)
    Fire (18)
    Red House (16)
    I Don’t Live Today (11)
    Purple Haze (32)
    Wild Thing (14) (James ‘Chip Taylor’ Voight)

Neville: “First show went down very well, set up for second show 8.30!”
    Songs 2nd show:

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Lennon & McCartney)
    Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)
    Fire
    The Wind Cries Mary
    Foxy Lady
    Red House
    I Don’t Live Today
    Purple Haze
    Wild Thing (James ‘Chip Taylor’ Voight)

Neville: “Second show went down a bomb. A girl called Jerry turned up who I met last year. She wanted a lift back to New YORK. It took nearly 4 hours to get gear out. Very Very tired. Gerry mad. Went back to hotel. Jerry came back for the night, nothing happened as I fell asleep straight away.”

Noel [diary 11 March]: “Don’t care about anything anymore.”
    “[..] Had a smoke [...] went to sleep about [...] shattered.”

Unknown local paper : “The unusual excitement of The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
    2 Big Shows at 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. with Soft Machine. $4.00 in advance, $4.50 at the door. “

The Evening Star (11 March) 1st show review ‘Gyrating Hendrix Pleases Crowd’ by John Segraves: “There has been a lucrative vacancy on the hip rock music scene for a black version of Elvis Presley for some time now…

…another psychedelic guitarist with all the eroticism to become another Elvis Presley. Off his showing yesterday, Jimi’s sudden rise to fame is bewildering. When he sang, the full volume of the 15 pieces of electronic amplifying equipment behind him submerged his voice into, at best, a small whisper. Thus no one can say they actually heard him sing…
    …yesterday must have been one of what he likes to call his ‘mild moods,’ or else he got the word that Washington doesn’t dig his often gross maneuvers, especially on a Sunday in a swank hotel…
    …[Jimi’s music] was far more interesting than the group which preceded the Experience...but this is faint praise indeed.
    If Mr. Hendrix and his wild, almost frenzied form of rock want’s to move in on Elvis, the time seems ripe. I do hope if he comes by our town again he lowers the decibels a few hundred degrees so one can appraise his voice. His guitar emits so much blatant noise that it too becomes indistinguishable. But then Presley hasn’t become a millionaire several times because anyone ever called him a musician - or even a singer, for that matter. Perhaps the Experience should be called the Mystique or something.”

The Washington Post (11 March) 1st show review ‘Jimi Hendrix Socks It to ‘Em’ by Jim Hoagland: “The question kept circulating yesterday, ‘Is he going to burn it?’ He didn’t, but he didn’t disappoint the crowd either, with his wildly sexual gyrations and to-hell-with- it attitude. He is bad, and teenagers love him for it. He is more evil than Elvis ever dreamed of being, and the teenagers know that it infuriates their parents. That he is black adds the final necessary anti-suburb anti-Establishment touch. It is entirely necessary, in fact, that Hendrix is a Negro, his music is Chuck Berry filtered through the Beatles and the West Coast electronic freak-out, back through a black man to a 99 per cent white audience. It is the ultimate development (perversion?) of the wide acceptance of the ‘race music’ of Berry, Joe Turner and Laverne Baker and others in the early ‘50s. Jimi Hendrix is the P.T. Barnum of rock. He assesses, and fills, the needs of his crowd. His blackness is an Uncle Tom blackness.
    Hendrix is a fine guitarist (his first album is superb), but the crowd could have cared less. They responded wildly when Hendrix just walked out on the stage. They were experiencing themselves experiencing the event - autohype, it is called. They responded more to each other responding to Hendrix erotically stroking his guitar and grinding it against himself, than to the events themselves. They think Jimi Hendrix is where it’s at. If he is, I’m not sure that I want to go.”

Washington Free Press (27 March) review by unknown: “The Hilton Ballroom was overcrowded and the performance was late in starting, but these discomforts were smoothly ameliorated by the appearance on stage of WPGC’ s Warren Duffy in his orange, flowered pants. I hurried downstairs to my seat in the front row of the auditorium. The lights dimmed and the audience’s thunderous applause was met with thunderous waves of electronic sound. An hour and some seven songs later I had witnessed an electronically amplified man carry a crowd of nearly five thousand on a journey through his mind.”

Hullabaloo (August) 2nd show ’in-person account’ - ‘Live! The Jimi Hendrix Experience!’ by Mark Carbone: “The lights dimmed, Warren ‘Cousin’ Duffy, the WPGC DJ, joked with the audience a minute and then introduced the Soft Machine... They were coolly received. Everybody wanted Jimi. The intermission was a study in tension.
    Without warning the air was filled with a few quiet guitar notes from behind the curtain.. another quick run on the strings. People flooded the empty area in front of the stage and sat down on the floor. The cops shrugged their shoulders in defeat.
    Cousin’ Duffy said, ‘We’ve kept you waiting long enough! Here’s... The crowd went absolutely crazy. The curtain rose slowly to reveal the evil guitar-burner, his hairy bass player, and his drummer (buried behind his own equipment). There was a solid wall of gray and black amplifiers. People standing on their seats or on the floor, were reacting to the sound of a group operated machine, but all of their attention was on the purple and green clad hero in the Australian bush hat.....His eyes were closed as he put his white guitar through its paces. Then, he …swaggered up to his microphone and sang: ‘It was 20 years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play...’ Two breaks for feedback solos, another verse, and the end of the first song. There was no need for the audience to start applauding; they had been applauding for four minutes straight now. Immediately Jimi began an introduction which momentarily puzzled the crowd. It was beautiful but what was the song? Everybody hushed to listen. Slowly the arpeggio became ‘Hey Joe’ and the audience again began to react. In the solo be played with his teeth, slid to the floor, and swung the guitar neck into the microphone stand. The crowd roared its approval. After ‘Fire’ anticipating a lull, as the third song ‘The Wind Cries Mary’ began, the crowd decided to sit down and listen to the sounds of the Experience, but this calm was not to last. As Jimi began to tell us about ‘Foxy Lady’ one of the oddest things I’ve ever seen took place , what appeared to be a six-foot chicken ran toward Jimi, who was totally unaware of its (his?) presence. The head of the ‘chicken’ fell off, revealing a very angry face. The man, half- jumping out of his costume, tackled Jimi, but was quickly pulled away by a dozen cops - but not before felling a surprised guitarist and knocking over some drums. Jimi gathered himself and his screaming guitar together, gave the ‘chicken-man’ a few well-chosen gestures, picked up one of Mitch Mitchell’s cymbals, and resumed the song, laughing. (Just who or what the ‘chicken-man’ was, was never explained.) By now the crowd was standing stone silent. At the end of ‘Foxy Lady,’ Jimi mumbled something about the interruption and proceeded. Everyone was still a little shocked, but they soon sat down again.
    More great music: climax, climax, climax. …In spite of the evening’s wildness, there was absolute silence during ‘Purple Haze’ and ‘Wild Thing…
    …Will he burn it?...
    No he didn’t burn it. But the evil guitar-burner didn’t let us down either. ‘The Wind Cries Mary’ and ‘Red House’ blues gave the eyes of the cult an added vision. Purple Haze was beautiful, making his recorded version a mere shadow of a song.
    Everybody stood up as Jimi changed guitars. Jimi tuned his guitar and then began the distinctive overture ‘Wild Thing’. He and his guitar did a sexy dance to the tune of several bugle calls, all blending into ‘Wild Thing’ and yes, even the national anthem! A mike toppled over, and, ever so slowly, the evil guitar-burner removed the guitar from his shoulder and rammed it into his Marshall amp. Everything fell over, flew through the air, and howled with feedback! Jimi stopped. Dead. He picked up his mike, thanked us for coming, and bid us goodnight.’…
    He didn’t have to burn it. If he were a superficial performer with no style or poetry to show us, the burning ceremony would have been necessary: a shock at the end of the show to leave a scar. But Jimi Hendrix has style and poetry; his fire is that most important fire: the fire within.”

John Gossage (owner of the Discophile record shop at the time ) "[I remember nothing about a giant chicken, but I photographed and Paul Dowell interviewed Jimi for an article in The Quicksilver Times]. I lost it years ago [laughs], The Quicksilver Times – there’s a hippy name for ya! It was one of those underground papers.
    The weirdness of the show is that they don’t do rock ‘n roll at the Washington Hilton, it’s a ballroom, a large ballroom. They’d just done Jim Morrison and The Doors. I think [those two groups were] all they ever did. Maybe they realized, ‘This is a really bad idea to have this at a hotel’.”

[At Jimi’s hotel between concerts] “I don’t know where Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell are, but we go in and spend about half an hour with Hendrix. There was a young woman. As we were going in there was a young black kid [leaving]. I remember his comment to Paul and I, he said, ‘You know, he’s really a nice guy. You go in there, he’ll teach you some chords.’ I think my comment was, ‘I know all the chords, I just don’t know how to play like that.’
    [He was] very nice, soft-spoken... He was in between shows, and we tried to convince him after the last show to go to The Silver Dollar and see Roy [Buchanan]
    What I’ll tell you now is what I must have told him. I remember talking about, ‘This is somebody you should see, his name’s Roy Buchanan, he’s the most phenomenal guitar player outside of you, he came to your show.’ Hendrix gave no [sign] that he knew who Roy Buchanan was. It was real clear he had more interest in the young lady than he had in hearing any more rock ‘n roll. He was a very polite, civil man, he probably said, ‘Yeah, I’ll try to make it to the Roy Buchanan thing.’
    I remember he didn’t want to pose, which was fine with me. Not too much was going on. I took a roll, half a roll or something. I knew we needed the stage stuff. Hendrix watched TV and took Polaroid shots of some girl.”
    Then we knew each other, he knew me, I knew him. So in the second show, on certain songs, he played to me. He’s coming toward you know, if he’s doing the splits, putting the guitar straight out in front of him and doing ‘Foxy Lady,’ he’s doing it straight at me, as opposed to three feet to the side, or in the other direction. We start sort of winkin’ at each other.
    It was a perfect Concert shoot, it was working. Most of the good shots, I suspect, come from the second show. He was having fun.
    I remember both shows - compared to some of the recorded versions, some tapes I’ve heard - as some really raw, hot, real vibrant shows, lots of emotion.
    Oh! I know one thing I did ask him, I asked him to play either ‘ Wind Cries Mary’ or ‘Little Wing’ - those are my two favorite Hendrix songs. I always felt that Hendrix, the musician, was more into that kind of lyrical material than a lot of the hard rock stuff.”
    “I’m in front of the Marshall’s. I know he was playing with earplugs, because I asked him. Mid-way through a song, a little blue capsule came out and got eaten. He ate it, and I have no idea what it was. Vitamins, I’m sure! I forget what it was. I was close enough to see it done.”

“He saved the sunburst for the smasher. [laughs]”

“I remember we went down to The Silver Dollar to see if Roy had heard him. We asked, ‘Did you go?’ He said, ‘Yeah.’ You know, one of Roy’s ‘Yeah I saw him,’ and then he went on to play several Hendrix songs, with the guitar behind his back while drinking a beer, all of Roy’s own bar tricks. From that point on, he had nothing but good things to say about Hendrix.
    We probably told everyone that we knew that Hendrix might come. So it was probably a fairly decent crowd at The Silver Dollar, which means anything over twelve people. [Roy played] ‘Foxy Lady’ with one hand. He would get a chair, and sit the guitar standing upright, and he’d get a mug of beer, and he’d drink the beer and finger the neck of the guitar with the volume full up.”

Katie B. [2010]: “I saw the Hendrix concert at the Hilton, I was an "usherette" —
    didn't get paid but had front row seats and back stage passes. I met Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix was sitting in his dressing room hugging his guitar and playing it, I was totally in awe, said Hi. He said Hi. That was it!!”

Thomas H [2010]: “Also saw Jimmy H @ the Hilton, I remember my Dad saw the review in the
    Post the next day, that thought JH's performance was "sexual"... got a stern lecture.

‘BR’ [2010]: “When we arrived at the Hilton we saw Hendrix come out a side door and get into the Limo. There were two shows and the first had just ended. We decided that after the 2nd show we would get back to this door quick so we could get an autograph. Sure enough he came out the same door. I tried to grab his hat. ( it was the same hat you see in photos from that period with buttons and patches all over it.) They kept moving and jumped in the Limo. It took off around the corner and we thought that was that but as we walked around the corner the Limo was waiting at the red light. I ran up to his window and knocked on it. He rolled it down and I said " give me your hat" Hendrix said " man-I cant give this hat up" I said well give me something. They looked around for something to give me and Mitch said give him your cigarette. He did, the light turned green and off they went.
    Pretty cool experience for a 16 year old rock and roller.
    It was a Salem 100 and I kept it in a baggie for many years but alas, It got lost in the shuffle of my life.
    Buy the way - this was the same door that Pres. Reagan came out of and was shot. He had just given a speech in the same Hilton ballroom.”

Tom Woodside [2010]: “I went to the Jimi Hendrix show at the Washington Hilton in March 1968 when I was just 15. My parents did not even know I went. My friends, who all had tickets agreed to let me ride down with them and I hoped I could score a ticket at the door. Luckily they were still on sale at the door and I was overjoyed being a mega-Hendrix fan! We sat right in front on the carpeted floor and to this day I rate that as one of the best concerts I ever saw. We went to the afternoon show as there were 2 shows that day. Between numbers I kept yelling to Mitch Mitchell to throw me a stick. He finally responded , saying he needed them for the evening show. He threw us some flowers instead that my friend kept pressed in a book for years.
    I saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience again that following August at Merriweather Post Pavilion, almost the same show . Mostly tunes from the first album, that Hilton show was somehow better. Maybe the more intimate setting and the sound of the ballroom.”

Thursday 14 March 1968
    USA (MA)
    WORCESTER TELEGRAM & GAZETTE (page 24) ‘Jimi Hendrix Here Tomorrow’ by [unknown] […] the Jimi Hendrix Experience […] one of the most sought after recording rock groups in American [sic] and Britain […] tickets sold out […] yesterday agreed to put on a second show Friday at 10:30 PM tickets to go on sale at 5:00 PM on Thursday.

Thursday 14 March 1968
    UK
    MELODY MAKER, (Page?) [Large B&W photo of Jimi at the reception] ‘BACK TO SCHOOL FOR JIMI’ by [unknown]: That dis*tinguished former pupil of Garfield High School, Seattle, Jimi Hendrix, performs in the school gymnasium for the class of '68. It happened during Jimi's current American tour (see Frank Simpson's report from the States on page 5) and the fact that Jimi was kicked out of school at the age of 16 seemed to be forgotten for the occasion.
    (Page 5) [B&W photo of Jimi playing his guitar at US gig] ‘MM EXCLUSIVE – HENDRIX IN NEW YORK’
    THE BLACK ELVIS’ BY FRANK SIMPSON: “NEW YORK, Monday. - The somewhat staid New York Times calls him ‘a black Elvis’. The hippy oriented Los Angeles Free Press gets a little more ecstatic: ‘He’s an electric religion. . . in a cataclysmic-volcanic organism finale, we fell back limp in our seats, stunned and numbed.’ This plus sell out audiences and even a gang of teenage ticket forgers, is the reaction that the Jimi Hendrix Experience gets from its current American tour. Now mid tour Jimi Hendrix has four days off - and needs them. He’s relaxing in his hotel room in New York after being thrown out of his first hotel - ‘Must have thought I was an Indian’ he says.
    EXTRA CONCERTS
    He’s tired, says so and should be. The other Experiences, Noel and Mitch, are in the Bahamas and the sunshine. Jimi remains behind. ‘I want to think about some sessions we’re doing in New York. They’re in my mind right now but I’ve got to think about them.’
    About his tour Jimi says shortly: “Completely successful.” A publicity girl, Pat Costello, fills in the details. Each concert a sell out, extra concerts were prompted at several places and also sold out. A counterfeit ticket ring operated in New York, Texas and Arizona. Jimi out grossed the Bee Gees in California. Nearly a hundred thousand so far have watched the Experience.
    Jimi remembers Seattle, Washington. “It’s my home town and I met my family and we were happy for a change, I enjoyed it. I went to Garfield High School which is my old school – they kicked me out when I was 16 – and did a concert for the kids there. Just me. I played with the school band in the gymnasium. Only thing wrong was that it was eight in the morning. They cancelled first class to listen to me.”
    GETTING BURNED
    Jimi was scheduled to get an award from Seattle’s mayor but it was Lincoln’s birthday (a national holiday here) so that particular gig was cancelled.
    Admitting that, music apart, he doesn’t do much, Jimi talks about his “mechanical life.” He means the travelling, the motel-hotel rooms that are look-alikes, cities and audiences that merge into one. He isn’t fond of three concerts in 48 hours that took him from Los Angeles, California to Seattle, Washington and back to Los Angeles…
    The hotels might be better and the money is there, but Jimi thinks his kind of touring is not all that different from his days in backing groups, playing behind Little Richard, Ike and Tina Turner, King Curtis and so on.
    “Bad pay, lousy living and getting burned – that was those days. With Little Richard, he was the guy out front and that was it. The King of Rock and Rhythm that was him. And he said he was the only one allowed to be pretty…that was when I got a fancy shirt because I was dragged at wearing his uniform. ‘Take off those shirts,’ he told me and another guy.
    Tired, dragged or just being mechanical, Jimi still reacts to music. Buddy Miles dropped in to see him. Buddy is a member of Electric Flag, a West Coast blues group who shared billing with the Experience. Talk turns to “jamming.” Both Buddy and Jimi want to get out and jam in a club for the evening. The first thing Jimi did, arriving in New York and finding that Eric Clapton there [sic], was arrange to jam with him. “You can do this in New York,” he explains.
    SUCCESSFUL TOUR
    The talk turns to cars, Miles knows how to get hold of a Stingray ’68. Jimi insists he wants one – “with all the extras, red wall tyres and a nerve bar.” Miles rings California, meanwhile explaining that a nerve bar is built in to help you if the thing rolls over. He gets California, but not the dealer.
    Jimi is cool about his success in America – a couple of years ago he was scuffling in Greenwich Village (“Nice there, man. The people were more friendly there than in Harlem. Harlem is cold.”) and now he headlines a fantastically successful tour.
    “I knew it would happen. I used to see the number 1968 in my dreams. I was just waiting till then,” he explains.”

Wednesday 13 March 1968
    New York
    Neville: “DAY OFF. Get gear together for next gigs... Took all Fender gear out and replaced it with Sunn gear.”

Thursday 14 March 1968
    New York
    Neville: “Went out to airport about 5.00. Picked up two more Marshall cabinets, then dropped Fender gear off – booked it on flight to L.A.”
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-10-16 at 09:33 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,456 Times in 1,663 Posts

PHOTO SET - Hilton Hotel, Imperial Ballroom, Washington, 10/3/68

https://www.facebook.com/lucio.deipa...0880307&type=3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post: