Thread: 1968-03-23 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, New York USA

Thanks

1968-03-23 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, New York USA

Saturday, March 23rd, 1968

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced

Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 03-12-11 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 485 Posts

Re: 1968-03-23 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, New York USA

Last edited by billo528; 03-31-16 at 08:08 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What was the attachment above ? The link isn't working. Here is an ad for the show...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beatlebren66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What was the attachment above ? The link isn't working
    Unfortunately all of the attachments added prior to a certain date (not sure what exact date that was) were accidentally permanently deleted so a lot was lost and many who posted the attachments to begin with have not gotten around to or don't want to spend the time posting them again. Cool newspaper add thanks for posting.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,060 Posts

Saturday 23 March 1968
    Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Lower Terrace and Lake Street, NY, USA. JHE
    Originally booked for the Village Theater, New York City, NY.
    Neville: “Got up 7:00 had breakfast left Buffalo 8:00 Drove back up Massatusetts and right across N.Y. State. Just after there was a very bad snowstorm driving bad. Arrived BUFFALO 4:00 unloaded gear had to put it on small carts, then again tractor took it up to stage. Set gear, 1st [...] Local group on first [...]
    Jimi: “Well we road through the most extreme weather today. From sunshine to blizzards and fog and everything. We’re in Buffalo now. Gonna take a nap.”
    Concert at 20:15.
    The cowboy hat w. the purple band, chain link ‘belt’, ‘star’ & mini native war shield; the black, frilly shirt; the jade choker + the ‘Inca’ medallion; R. 1 ring, L. 2 rings + the bracelet; the blue jeans w. the ‘Navajo’ belt & the tassled silk scarf as belt + purple neckerchif tied around knee; the ‘cowboy’ boots; white/rose strat w. the ‘wavy line & dots cloth on white leather’ strap & spare sunburst.
    Support: Soft Machine with The Mark Boyle Sensual Laboratory light show and Jesse’s First Carnival – cancelled, replaced by local band the ‘Sinnermen’. So Jesse’s First Carnival, although billed, never played any of the three gigs they were booked for.
    Audience: 1,600?
    Songs: unknown

Neville: “Very good show, despite shitty place.”
    Jimi: “Played show – Great. Girls came round Oh no - must think of Catherina and write my songs. Goodnight everyone.”

Jay Weisbeck (16, Bennett High school, guitarist, ‘the Sinnermen’): “I got off the Number 8 bus that day, walked into the house and my mother told me about a telephone call; the evening’s warmup act, Jesse’s First Carnival, was stranded in a Cleveland snowstorm, and my band would open for Hendrix. Our keyboard player, Steve’s, father Jerry Nathan was the concert promoter* (Steve’s now a prominent Nashville session player).
    Our band actually called an emergency afternoon practice, as if that would improve our quality, but it was more a matter of extreme fright.
    So we opened for Jimi Hendrix in Buffalo, playing an assortment of rhythm and blues hits—we were grateful to finish. Then we watched the show from the front row. It never occurred to us to go backstage, and the only interaction we had with the Jimi Hendrix Experience was between Steve’s girlfriend, from her seat, and Hendrix, on stage. “Take off your hat,” she demanded. “Take off your shirt,” he replied. Neither did either.
    It was snowing when we left the Aud and took the Number 8 bus up Main Street.
    When you’re young, you don’t always realize history when you’re making it.”

*He may have been partly to do with organisig it, but it was Irving Grantz who promoted the three shows at Rochester, Hartford and Buffalo – as per the poster advertising and press.

Bruce Eaton (now jazz producer): “I was there with my friend Tony Markellis (now a studio musician). The hall was only filled to half it's capacity, only about 6000 people were there.
    The stage was really low, about four feet high with no barrier between the audience and the stage. Hendrix quickly ran through songs from his first album, ‘Fire’ and ‘Manic Depression’ and ‘Purple Haze,’ etc. etc. "blah blah woof woof ...only cowboys stay in tune anyway".
    And the drums weren’t miked. Concerts back then were more like what I’d call ‘appearances.
    After Hendrix’s perfunctory set and smash-the-equipment routine, we approached a British roadie with a polite, ‘Sir, could we have a piece of the amplifier?’ I still have the souvenir.”

Billy Sheehan (The Winery Dogs): “Well, there was a moment of dynamic performance that stuck with me. Jimi came out and stood real close to the mike stand when he was playing the song "Fire" - not moving around, but just kind of standing there. And the whole crowd was [going like], "Jimi! Do something! We want you to go crazy!"
    And he's just standing there until he got to the bridge and the solo after it, and as soon as the solo hits, he jumps back from the mike stand and hits that first note of the solo, and the place just went berserk. But he built it up. He didn't give people what they wanted right from the get-go. He wanted to control what everyone saw, and he did. He was a master showman, and I think he was one of the first guys in rock to push it to that kind of a level.”

Brendan Sibley: “I have knowledge of him playing an after show gig at a bar called McVan’s.” [Not according to Jimi Ed.]

Saturday 23 March 1968
    USA (MA)
    SPRINGFIELD UNION (Page 13) Teen Beat ‘Colour This Beach Boy Purple’ by Russ Winer: The Jimi Hendrix Experience have a concert scheduled for tonight at the Bushnell Auditorium in Hartford. . .[...] Residents in Beverly Hills raised a cry when Beach Boy Brian Wilson painted his home purple, but he won’t change the colour unless the city [...] pays for a new paint job. [...]
    ‘The Top Twenty Albums In The Country’
    1. "Blooming Bits," Paul Mauriat; 2. "John Wesley Hardin” Bob Dylan;
    3. "Axis: Bold as Love," Jimi Hendrix; 4. "Magical Mystery Tour," Beatles; 5. "Lady Soul," Aretha Franklin; 6. "Ninth." Herb Alpert; 7. "Disraeli Gears," Cream; 8. "Greatest Hits" Supremes; 9. "Are You Experienced," Jimi Hendrix; 10. "And Live!” Letter-men.
    This week's album review: "Axis: Bold As Love” Jimi Hendrix Experience. Followup to their first smash LP, "Are You Experienced," this album doesn't seem so full as the first one. Perhaps it's because of the absence of known hits. At any rate the group is definitely superior to most American groups and Hendrix is developing into one of the better guitarists in the world. Containing weird guitar effects like the first LP, "Axis" has its best moments with "Danish Castle Magic," "Wait Until Tomorrow,'' "She's So Fine,” penned by bassist Nowel [sic] Redding, and “Bold As Love.”

Saturday 23 March 1968
    USA (CT)
    HARTFORD COURANT (page?) ‘Jimi Hendrix Gives Fine 'Experience'’ (22 March, Bushnell Hall, review) by Robert C. Murra: “The English pound may have devalued, but the Jimmy [sic] Hendrix Experience is certainly not suffering from lack of support.... The Experience consists of Mitch Mitchell, a drummer who inflicts severe punishment on the skins to create his sound; Noel Redding, a bass guitarist whose tremendous mop of hair makes the Rolling Stones look like West Point drill team; and Jimmy Hendrix, who is probably the finest lead guitarist on either side of the Atlantic. Rock ‘n’ roll is their business and the audience really ‘experienced’ a professional performance. Hendrix caused a lot of frustration throughout his performance by constantly stopping to tune up, or to readjust the amplifiers. However, he is infamous for this and does it only because he is a perfectionist...
    There wasn ‘t even standing room available as the show began, and some eighly enthusiasts paid for the privilege of standing to watch the performance. He led into his show with a pounding hard rock arrangement of Sergeant Pepper’s and went from there to do several other numbers in the distinctive Hendrix style. The Experience played ‘Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire’, ‘I Don’t Live Today’, and only slowed the pace slightly when they played ‘Little Wing’. Here Hendrix displayed his great skill on the guitar when he played a lilting slow lead. Also in this song we heard the full richness of the Jimi Hendrix singing voice.
    Hendrix took the stage in a multicoloured jacket and dark blue jeans while his drummer Mitch Mitchell threw conservatism to the wind when he wore a complete psychedelic outfit.”

Saturday 23 (30) March 1968
    USA
    BILLBOARD (Page 26) ‘Burdon, Animals in Power display’ by FRED KIRBY
    [Animals, Anderson Theatre, NYC review] […] The evening opened with a promising English group, the Soft Machine, three youths just off a tour with Jimi Hendrix Experience. In their two extended numbers, the trio showed a high degree of musicianship, including a top organist. The lead vocalist, who also had a brilliant jazz-influenced segment on drums, performed in swim trunks; although, because he was seated at the drums, this wasn't apparent until he left the stage. Their light show also was effective, as they only used a few colors at a time.
    The novelty of the evening was the New York Electric String Ensemble, which performed between the two rock groups." The group, which is expanded to four men from the three on their initial ESP-DISK album, performed a program of Bach, Telemann and Purcell transcribed for amplified instruments. They were met, at first, with a diffident response from the young audience, but, by the end of their act, had clearly won over the crowd.
    The Purcell piece, the only number on the program which was not on their first album, was a good addition to the group's repertoire with its two interesting fast movements. While the New York Electric String Ensemble was a fine change of pace for the program, the group probably would be even more effective in a rock package for colleges.
    (Page 35) ‘KLIF’s Creative Kicks’ Dallas— Creative programming that involves not only album cuts but records that are so familiar they go unanounced has begun to pay off royally in ratings for KLIF […] The programming hinges aroundthe top 20 records in local sales. Records that are climbing are alternated with top 20 records as fillers. However, this pattern is interrupted in three different instances. For one thing, two album cuts are played each hour, taking the place of climbers. These are used to balance the daytime programming somewhat. Between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., the album cuts are limited to easy listening type artists such as Ed Ames, Glen Campbell. Fifth Dimension, and the Mamas and Papas. In the evening hours, for example on the 6-9 Jimmy Rabbit show, these album cuts are artists like the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Joe Tex.
    (Page 38) ‘FM’rs Bust Out With Prog. Rock’, […] ‘WBRU-FM Expands’, WBRU-FM the 20,000-watt stereo operation at Brown University, expanded its progressive rock programming to 3-6 p.m. six days a week in February and word is that the station may even go further toward progressive rock. Donald S. Berns, program director of WBRU-FM, recently stated, "We feel that this is what's happening now, especially in the FM field of broadcasting."
    James Psihoulis, general manager of WZUM in Pittsburgh, said that his station is programming progressive rock Sunday afternoons in a show hosted by Mad Mike. Station is playing the Canned Heat, the Steppenwolf, the Wizard of Oz, the Hassles, the Bohemian Vendetta, the Spirit, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience, among others.
    WIBG-FM in Philadelphia, under the leadership of FM co-ordinator George Meier, is programming some progressive rock, but the operation is automated and unannounced. WCMU-FM at Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich., is doing a 9:30-midnight Sunday show with Randy Martin as host called "The Experiment."
    WNEW-FM in New York continues to set a torrid pace under a progressive rock format. A recent LP of A&M Records sold 18,000 in New York from WNEW-FM play alone. The only thing to be criticized about the station is that deejays also play non-progressive records that can be heard (quite frequently) on rockers WMCA and WABC. […]
    (Page 39) ‘Top Selling R&B Lp’s’ 26 (16) Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced Reprise R 6261 (M) RS (S) 6261
    16 (6) Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love Reprise (no mono) RS 6281 (S)
    (Page 57) ‘From The Music Capitals of the World’ San Francisco “Jimi Hendrix, Big Brother, Al*bert King and John Myall pulled 15,000 fans into Winterland and Fillmore ballrooms in four nights, smashing all previous records. . . . The Jefferson Airplane split from Bill Graham's direction. The group now manages itself. . . .
    Toronto ". . . The Vancouver group, Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers, signed by Motown, bow with "Does Your Mama Know About Me," produced by Berry Gordy Jr. . . Quality is releasing a new Jimi Hendrix Experience LP, "Day Tripper" in advance of the U. S. . . . Russ Gibb of Detroit's Grande Ballroom digs Toronto after the success of his Jimi Hendrix Experience concert last month and brings Eric Burdon and the Animals to the Canadian National Exhibition Coliseum on March 24. . .
    (Page 70) ‘Hot 100’ 82 w bullet (94) Jimi Hendrix Experience— Up From The Skies (Charles Chandler) Reprise 0665
    (Page 74) ‘Top Lp’s’ 22 (19) Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced? R 6261 (M) RS 6261 (S);
    4 (3) Jimi Hendrix Experience – Axis: Bold As Love Reprise (no mono) RS 6281 (S)
    Jimi Hendrix Experience – Axis: Bold As Love Reprise (no mono) RS 6281 (S)
    mono) RS 6281 (S)
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-10-16 at 10:15 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,798 Times in 1,012 Posts

The Greatest Guitarist of all time!) made a stop in Buffalo on his Axis: Bold As Love tour in March of 1968, the 3rd show on a 11 day consecutive stint of shows. Thanks to Bruce Eaton, we have a first hand account of the performance.

According to Bruce the stage was only about 4 feet high and the Aud was filled to 1/2 it's capacity, only about 6000 people were there. This was when the cheap seats were colored grey and way before

Hendrix rocked out on "Fire", "Manic Depression" and "Purple Haze" etc. etc. "blah blah woof woof ...only cowboys stay in tune anyway". Those songs and many more were inlcuded in the set and Hendrix violently smashed his equipment at the end of his performance, a trademark for Hendrix early in his career.

Bruce still has a piece of a smashed amplifier, which he politely asked 1 of the roadies for, that Hendrix graciously sacrificed for the Buffalo audience.

Upon learning that the scheduled opening act "Jesse's First Carnival" was stranded in a Cleveland snowstorm the concert promoter, Jerry Nathan quickly recruited his sons local band. After a emergency afternoon rehearshal Buffalos own "The Sinnermen" opened the show.

I learned of this show from the book, "Jimi Hendrix, Experience The Music" written by Belmo and Steve Loveless.

GL Dempsey said...

I was there. It was my first rock concert. The Soft Machine was second on the bill after a local group I did not know opened the show. The Machine had a light show that looked like lava lamp images swirling on the curtains behind the stage. Hendrix was third and last on the bill. The Experience played much of the Are You Experienced album. He played an extended jam on Redhouse toward the end of the show, made the hair on the back of my neck stand. He had two Strats that he equally abused. Someone yelled at him to take off his hat. Hendrix replied, "Take off your pants." Noel Redding had the biggest bell bottoms anyone had ever seen. They were white. Mitch was flaiing the living daylights out of his drum kit. The PA was pitiful, but Hendrix was glorious. Never heard anything like it before or since.

Robert Decker said...

I was there. It took me a few weeks to appreciate Hendrix music...having mostly been a Beach Boys fan. A friend asked me if I wanted to go. We were 16 and our seats were pretty bad so during the opening acts I convinced my friend to try to get "backstage". I knew it was an arena and the stage was in the middle so I told my friend that Hendrix would have to cross a hallway to get to the stage. We wandered around and found the opening to the stage and waited with about 5 other fans. We could see the stage from where we stood. Mitch Mitchell came out and I didn't recognize him. I asked if the 'Jimi Hendrix Experience' was coming out and he laughed and said "yes". A minute later, Hendrix came out, with a small towel over the neck of his guitar. those of us waiting asked him for autographs and he was very accommodating. He signed our autographs on the neck of his guitar, using his towel as a surface and then said "I have to go on now." I was ecstatic! I don't remember what else he said, but he couldn't have been nicer and easier. It's still one of the greatest thrills of my life. -Robert Decker

Roger Gregory said...

I was there. I was 15, 4th row, just left of center ... $5. My first concert. It a woman who called out "take you hat off", and with a sly smile, he responded, "take you pants off", she screamed in response. I vividly remember the Soft Machine's light show. When I got to Boston University in the fall of 1970, a guy on my floor had their double album, along with a ton of other interesting and off beat albums. Hendrix was so relaxed to start the show, but so amazing at getting sounds out of those strats. I restarted my guitar playing about 4 years ago. My instructor, who is about 30, is amazed to actually know someone who saw Jimi live. I remember most of the Experience album songs being played ... wish I could go back in time and do it again. When I was at BU, I ushered rock concerts at the old Music Hall where I saw some amazing shows, but none, not the Dead, Neil Young, Allman Brothers, Santana, not one is as memorable as Hendrix. - Roger Gregory

http://jotellwnymusic.blogspot.com/2...t-buffalo.html

Last edited by RobbieRadio; 07-15-17 at 08:46 AM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post: