Thread: 1968-03-27 Teen America Building, Lion's Delaware Co Fairgrounds, Muncie, Indiana USA

Thanks

1968-03-27 Teen America Building, Lion's Delaware Co Fairgrounds, Muncie, Indiana USA

Wednesday, March 27th, 1968

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced

Thanks

Re: 1968-03-27 Teen America Building, Lion's Delaware Co Fairgrounds, Muncie, Indiana

I was there. Don"t know the set list. Soft Machine played that night. Plus a band Glass Calander or Museum. Mark broyles or something like that did light show. Great night was down front by the left stack. LOUD. All for a $1.00. Had the flyer for the show but someone took it from Stonehenge Records. Ticket stub got worn out fron carrying it in my wallet for years.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tchuvgry For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 1968-03-27 Teen America Building, Lion's Delaware Co Fairgrounds, Muncie, Indiana

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buffalorattle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 489 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 03-31-16 at 08:16 AM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,583 Times in 2,462 Posts

Wednesday 27 March 1968
    Muncie, Teen America Building / Lion’s Delaware County Fairgrounds, IN, USA. JHE
    Concert from 19:00 until 22:00
    Jimi: “S.O.S”
    The cowboy hat w. the purple band, chain link ‘belt’, ‘star’, ‘stoned’ badge & mini native war shield; the ‘Indian’ waitcoat; the tie-dye ‘splodge’ shirt; L. 2 rings’ black trousers/blue jeans? w. the ‘Navajo’ belt & multi-hued neckerchief belt.
    Support: Soft Machine with The Mark Boyle Sensual Laboratory light show; The Glass Calendar.
    Promoter: Hullaballoo
    Audience: 2,000 – 2,400

Songs: unknown

Neville Chesters: “Went down a bomb.”

Muncie Evening Press (29 March) report by Betty Harris:
    “They came from all over for the show - Chicago, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, etc., plus a representative from LIFE magazine and another from Time. A lot were from groups, for sound expressed by Jimi Hendrix becomes a passion for those who play it. As Jack Hamilton of The Chosen Few said, ‘At one time music was all acoustical. Now there’s a new dimension. Hendrix is so skilled at making the guitar do its ultimate as he is a master of the electronics behind the instrument. He caresses it, bends and rips the strings. Did you notice how he had to tune after every song?’

“The evening began early for me. The jeep’s pink-striped curtains whipping in the wind, big, black-bearded photographer Mike Perry and his equipment-carrying helper Chic Brown, took me past lines and lines of patient waiters, then across town to meet the groups before the show began.

“Six hours on the road brought a tired bunch of musicians into Muncie. Believing Muncie to be closer to Cleveland (where they appeared Tuesday night) than it was. they were flying low when the police nabbed first Hendrix’ car, and a little later, the Soft Machine’s, Jerry Stickells who, has the often-frustrating job of road manager, driving Hendrix’ car, paid up and left. The Machine’s personal manager Tom Edmunston, talked his way down from a $75 fine to $18.50, but by the time they got there, Stickells was having visions of car wrecks, etc.

“The trip to the Holiday Inn was a dud. But back at the Old Barn a half-hour later - first a great head, then a small frame on one small scarf-tied, black-knee boot then another thrust itself through the doorway and Jimi Hendrix Experience had begun in Muncie... Redding’s a nut about the ‘telly,’ so it took some talking to get him away from the Holiday Inn. Hendrix was talking about his new ‘vet.’ [Corvette Stingray]

“Piled high on the stage of the long Teen America Bldg. were 14 amps, most of them Sunn 200s; Hendrix’ own Marshall amp’s from England; Voice of the Theater speakers and Sound City PAs. They cooled the show when they discovered the audience was so near the stage....

“Probably because his comments have been misinterpreted at times, Hendrix talks little. He seems to be away in a little world of his own, listening to music that others around him can’t hear. He likes to play music and record. He doesn’t like one-nighters very much ‘and all this stuff.’ Would like to meet ‘just people” a little more. He has a new record in his mind.. .nowhere near ready for playing yet, just in his head.”

Jeff Hansen [Univibes]: What can you tell us about how you came to promote [this concert]
    Jeff Carter [promoter]: What it was, we had a business that was called ‘The Hullabaloo Scene.’ It was a teenage nightclub. And it was a franchise that we had purchased; remember there used to be a TV program called Hullabaloo, with the dancers on the pedestals, and all that kinda stuff?
    JH: Yup.
    JC: So we had a franchise to that. And we also had our own booking agency, et cetera. And we got a call from Hendrix’s people. He was doing that tour and they had a date open, and we kinda looked at it, you know....We were three young guys, and we weren’t big spenders, and this kinda stuff. So we’re sitting there looking at that, and the money was significant. I forget exactly what it was that we signed him up for, but anyhow... So we did it, and we moved it to the ‘Teen Center’ at ‘The Fairgrounds’ because we figured we were gonna have a ton-and-a-half of people. So that’s why we were there.
    JH: So, what can you tell us about the show, and Jimi’s performance there?
    JC: Well, the first exciting thing I can tell you is that two days before they told us they weren’t coming unless we gave them an extra two thousand dollars…They held us up! It’s as simple as that: they held us up.
    We had X amount of advance sales. We figured there were going to be lots and lots of people, okay?
    Now, Muncie’s a town of about 80,000 people, and we ended up, I think, with 2,000 to 2,400 people. I mean, we almost had a heart attack - we couldn’t believe it. And probably half of those people came from Chicago, Detroit, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis. In other words, the kind of groupie Hendrix fans who’d follow him around. And with a college here with 20,000 people; and we did the radio, and the handbills - the whole nine yards; it didn’t happen.
    And I think ultimately we only made a few hundred dollars. I can remember we were out counting the line seeing what our ‘walk-up’ was. And it was real ‘touch and go,’ but they ‘bit’ us for an extra shot there.
    JH: I understand that Jimi got in there late?
    JC: Now I don’t remember him being late, okay? I just don’t remember that; I guess maybe he coulda been...,
    JH: So you only made a couple hundred dollars on the date then?
    JC: Very little, absolutely. So that’s what told me: ‘Carter, you’re too conservative to be a promoter!”
    JH: Sounds as though this show just sort of fell in your lap?
    JC: Yeah. They called us. See, we were using some national groups like The Music Explosion, Lemon Pipers, The Ohio Express, and The Cryin’ Shames out of Chicago but Hendrix was the top of the heap! So, the deal is: whoever his managers were just told whomever, ‘Hey, we’ve got these dates open, fill ‘em before we go home, and we’ll make some money.’ So they heard about us and called us. And the fee that sticks in my mind was like thirty-five hundred bucks. But whatever it was, they hit us for a couple grand more.
    So anyhow... You’re surprised when you see Hendrix. You think of someone bigger than life - and Jimi was not bigger
    than life.,, He was kinda, you know, ‘stroked out’ when he was here.
    This is a funny story: I’m watching the Soft Machine, because they started. They were wonderful. So, I was out with the crowd, and my head-of-security, who is an investigator for the Sheriff’s Department, came up to me and he says: ‘I’m gonna have to bust Hendrix!’ And I looked at him, and I said, ‘Why? What are you talking about?’ And he says: ‘He’s back there smoking a joint!’ And I said: ‘Oh, don’t do that.’
    So I went back there and I said: ‘Jimi, ya can’t be smoking that joint.’ And he said: ‘Well, you got a cigarette?’ And so I got him a cigarette, and he passed off the joint. Then he went out there and he put on just one helluva show! But there was a picture taken by one of the guys we had doing some photographs for us. And he gave it to me - in this picture it shows me standing there facing Hendrix, and the picture is of him passing the joint!
    JH: Oh, I’ll be...! Whatever became of that picture?
    JC: Well, I just had it in one of my drawers... A few years later I got married, and we had a daughter. And she grows up and a few more years go by and she’s just going through some stuff and sees this picture of me and Hendrix all rolled up. When she saw the picture, she told kids at her school. This was in Junior High; she’s twenty-five now, so this was a long time ago. She says: “Dad, they don’t believe me. Can I take the picture to school?” And I said, “Okay.” Anyhow, so she takes it to her school and about six months later I just asked her: “Hey, what happened to my picture?” And she says: “Oh, I gave it back to you, Dad.” “Oh, okay.” End of story.
    Well, she got married, and last June when I was down [ her] for Father’s Day she comes out, and she has the picture! She had it mounted up for me. I’ve got it sitting in the store as a matter of fact, and it gets a lot of comments!
    JH: Yes. I imagine it would, especially being in a jewellery shop!
    JC: Yeah, I’m looking at it right now; I’ve only had it up since last year. It’s just me and Hendrix, and the damn thing!
    JH: Do you happen to recall any specific details of the Jimi Hendrix Experience performance? Anything that really sticks out in your mind?
    JC: You know, not really... He was a person who was, well, you could tell that he wasn’t really plugged into the real world. He was just sitting there waiting for his handlers to move him on to the next ‘whatever.’ But when he got out there and did his set he was absolutely as advertised! I mean, he was top-of- the-pile! And I’m not a hard rock kind of guy.. this man was an artist! And Soft Machine - they blew me away....
    JH: Do you happen to remember any of the songs Jimi and the guys played?
    JC: No, I don’t. Well, I mean, he obviously did “Purple Haze” and “Foxy Lady.”
    JH: Finally, do you know if any film or sound recordings were made of the Muncie show?
    JC: Negative. None I know of.

Wednesday 27 March 1968
    USA (Monessen, Penn.)
    VALLEY INDEPENDENT (page 30) Under twenty
    Top Five Albums
    4. “Axis: Bold As Love” — Jimi Hendrix Experience

Wednesday 27 March 1968
    USA (DC)
    WASHINGTON FREE PRESS (page?) [title?] (10 March, Hilton, 1st show review) by [unknown]: “The Hilton Ballroom was overcrowded and the performance was late in starting, but these discomforts were smoothly ameliorated by the appearance on stage of WPGC’ s Warren Duffy in his orange, flowered pants. I hurried downstairs to my seat in the front row of the auditorium. The lights dimmed and the audience’s thunderous applause was met with thunderous waves of electronic sound. An hour and some seven songs later I had witnessed an electronically amplified man carry a crowd of nearly five thousand on a journey through his mind.”

Wednesday 27 March 1968
    USA (Cleveland, OH)
    PLAIN DEALER (page 40) ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience Is The Wildest Thing Here’ [26 March report] by Jane Scott: And now ‘Wild Thing!’ announced Jimi Hendrix. Then the wildness began last night at Public Music Hall. The tall, stove pipe slim singer in the rainbow-hued jacket and big black hat started making love to his white guitar. He played it with his teeth. He knelt in front of it. He tore off the strings. And he tossed it behind him. ‘What an experience!’ said Chris Bernard, 16, of Rocky River High. ‘Wow! This was the ultimate!’ ‘Greatest thing I’ve seen,’ said Denny Marek, player with the local Lost Souls group. ‘After this Motown is dead.’
    Some thought it was too great. Police pushed four or five boys off the stage. ‘They swung at me, but I got it,’ exulted John Paulisin, 15, Cathedral Latin School, holding up a guitar string.
    This was Jimi Hendrix, drummer Mitch Mitchell and guitarist Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and it was an experience that many will never forget.
    WOULD YOU believe a Seattle-born Negro who had to go to England to make it?
    A left-hander who plays a right-handed Fender guitar backwards?
    Hendrix is the hottest musi*cal property since [before!] the Monkees He was voted top pop musician in the world in England’s Melody Maker's Poll last year.
    "Freakin' funky,” Hendrix described his music yester*day afternoon.
    At 8:15 p.m. WKYC’s em*cee, Chuck Dunaway, stopped the show to ask teens to look under their seats. Three threatening phone calls had been received, but were proved to be a hoax.
    Hendrix received $18000 for the two shows but will leave a reported $8,000 here. He bought a blue Corvette with all the trimmings at Blaushild's Chevrolet earlier yesterday.
    [Jane Scott [years later]: Jimi Hendrix was... hard to talk to, but for different reasons. Backstage... he had a date on each arm, each cuddling up for attention. One of the crew whispered that the two women were sisters. So much for the innocence of the ‘60s!...]

< 28 March 1968
    USA (Cincinnatti, OH)
    XAVIER NEWSWIRE (Uni.) (page ?) [title?] by [unknown]: “The Hendrix shows promise to rival the traditional Muskie drink’n drowns for psychedelic happenings and new vibrations,” [rest of text?]

Wednesday 27 March 1968
    USA
    VARIETY (weekly), page?. [...] 2 Jimi Hendrix Gigs Gross $34,300 [...rest of text?]
    (Page?) ‘BYRDS, DEAN MARTIN, HENDRIX NAB GOLDISKS’: Warner Bros.-Seven Arts Records has awarded three new gold disks and Columbia has handed out one to a group hitting LP sales of over [...]
    The Byrds' "Greatest Hits" was the Col winner while on the WB-7 label, Dean Martin won two for "Welcome To My World" and "Houston," and Jimi Hendrix Experience won a goldisk for "Are You Experienced." The Record Industry Assn. of America certified that the albums rated the golden accolade.
    (Page?) ‘Variety Album Bestsellers’ (A National Survey of Key Outlets)
    This Last No.
    Wk Wk Wk’s
    4 4 7 JIMI HENDRIX Experience (Reprise)
    Axis: Bold As Love (RS 6281)

Wednesday 27 March 1968
    UK
    RECORD RETAILER (page ?) TOP FORTY ALBUMS:
    1 ( 1) John Wesley Harding (By Bob Dylan) 5 Wks
    7 (15) Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (By Beatles) 44 Wks
    12 ( 6) Fleetwood Mac (By Fleetwood Mac) 5 Wks
    27 (28) Diary Of A Band Volume 1 (By John Mayall's Bluesbreakers) 3 Wks
    28 (35) Diary Of A Band Volume 2 (By John Mayall's Bluesbreakers) 3 Wks
    29 (23) Disraeli Gears (By Cream) 20 Wks
    31 (32) Forever Changes - Love
    16-24-33. Axis: Bold As Love - Jimi Hendrix Experience last entry
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-10-16 at 01:22 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 381 Posts

Last edited by jhendrixfanatic; 08-11-17 at 09:24 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"Jimi: “S.O.S”

What does this mean? And what is the source for this STPLSD?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to enemal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,224 Times in 381 Posts

Same Old Stuff is what S.O.S. means in this case and the source is Jimi's diary.

Attached Images Attached Images

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,583 Times in 2,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enemal View Post
    "Jimi: “S.O.S” What does this mean? And what is the source for this STPLSD?
    See:http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...t-Michigan-USA #8

: Sunday 24 March 1968
    Flint, IMA Auditorium [Demolished], MI, USA. JHE
    Jimi: “S.O.S. Same old stuff.”
    Concert at 14:00. [etc]

I was a bit brief (unusual for me) and should have given the source, this is the only page he notes the explanation, quite odd that he did at all, presumably he envisaged someone else reading it. A few of the comments I've noted for '68 are from his diary. A shame he made so few entries, several being just 'S.O.S'
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    See:http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...t-Michigan-USA #8

: Sunday 24 March 1968
    Flint, IMA Auditorium [Demolished], MI, USA. JHE
    Jimi: “S.O.S. Same old stuff.”
    Concert at 14:00. [etc]

I was a bit brief (unusual for me) and should have given the source, this is the only page he notes the explanation, quite odd that he did at all, presumably he envisaged someone else reading it. A few of the comments I've noted for '68 are from his diary. A shame he made so few entries, several being just 'S.O.S'

Where can we see those pages? I mean, actually scans?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,224 Times in 381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enemal View Post
    Where can we see those pages? I mean, actually scans?
    First you ask what SOS means and what the source is, I've given you a reply to both questions, including a photo someone took at the EMP exhibition, and now you ask about actually scans? Is there something wrong with the pic i posted?