9. Fire
    10. Little Wing
    11. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    12. Room Full Of Mirrors
    13. Purple Haze
    14. Wild Thing

Sounboard Recording

Attachment 6117

Last edited by Gypsy Eyes; 06-13-11 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks

Re: 1969-02-24 Royal Albert Hall, London, England

The soundcheck contained the following tunes at least

Hey Joe
    Hound Dog
    Hound Dog
    Voodoo Child
    Voodoo Child
    Hear My Train A' Comin'
    Room Full Of Mirrors
    Room Full Of Mirrors
    Room Full Of Mirrors
    Room Full Of Mirrors
    Room Full Of Mirrors
    Bleeding Heart
    Bleeding Heart
    Bleeding Heart
    Message To Love

crazy_cat Guest

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 485 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 04-02-16 at 02:05 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

have been listening to the soundcheck on my ipod this week, great music! the HMTAC is sick! also love the Bleeding Heart as well. truly cannot wait for whoever to release this show + soundcheck, the jam out of Stone Free is dope!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 380 Posts

Advert

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luigi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

photo's to add to the experience

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zombywoof57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Is the show the same as this CD?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Albert-Hall-...words=snaf+822

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Eyes View Post
    Monday, February 24th, 1969

Soundcheck

1. Hey Joe
    2. Hound Dog
    3. Hound Dog
    4. Hound Dog
    5. Hound Dog
    6. Hound Dog
    7. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    8. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    9. Hear My Train A Comin'

Show

1. Lover Man
    2. Stone Free
    3. Hear My Train A Comin'
    4. I Don't Live Today
    5. Red House
    6. Foxy Lady
    7. Sunshine Of Your Love
    8. Bleeding Heart
    9. Fire
    10. Little Wing
    11. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    12. Room Full Of Mirrors
    13. Purple Haze
    14. Wild Thing

Sounboard Recording

Attachment 6117

Thanks

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Monday 24 February 1969
    London SW7, Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Grove, England. JHE
    Rehearsal at 14:00
    Officially recorded
    Attending: Chas Chandler, Caesar Glebeek, Diego Tremonti, Ben Valkhoff, plus about 75 others

Songs:

Hey Joe (49) (Billy Roberts)
    Hound Dog (3 - intro 1) (Jerry Lieber & Mike Stoller)
    Hound Dog (3 - intro 2) (Jerry Lieber & Mike Stoller)
    Hound Dog (3 - intro 3) (Jerry Lieber & Mike Stoller)
    Hound Dog (3) (Jerry Lieber & Mike Stoller)
    Hound Dog (4) (Jerry Lieber & Mike Stoller)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (46)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (47)
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again (18)
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again (61)
    Room Full Of Mirrors (29)
    Room Full Of Mirrors (30)
    Room Full Of Mirrors (31)
    Room Full Of Mirrors (32)
    Room Full Of Mirrors (33)
    Bleeding Heart (17) (Elmore James)
    Bleeding Heart (18) (Elmore James)
    Bleeding Heart (19) (Elmore James)
    Message To Love (58)

Noel: “Everything was chaos, though. Chas finally came down to try and help sort it out.”

Caesar Glebbeek: “Shortly after 12:00 hours I telephoned Jane Simmons, who ran “The Official ‘Jimi Hendrix Fan Club Of Great Britain’ (May 1967 to May 1969). Calling from my hotel room in London I asked her, ‘Any news?’ Replied Jane: ‘Jimi and the boys are scheduled to start rehearsing from about one o’clock a the Royal Albert Hall.’
    “Wow! You think it would perhaps be possible for us to attend the rehearsals?’ Jane: ‘I don’t think you’ll have any trouble getting inside... I won’t be able to make it there myself, so I will probably see you at the show later on tonight....’
    I immediately called Valkhoff’ s hotel room with the splendid news. We quickly grabbed our cameras and rushed to the nearest underground station, When we arrived at the Royal Albert Hall we could hear Jimi & Co. were already on stage. We then walked around the RAH where we found a door wide open. Bingo! With out hesitation (but with much faster heartbeats, I can assure you!) we dashed into the venue. About five minutes later we entered the main hall. Not a soul stopped us or asked what we were doing there!
    Apart from the first song that was rehearsed (‘Hey Joe’), we watched the entire JHE rehearsals and all the tedious hoopla of the Gold & Goldstein film crew who were there to test things out in preparation for the filming of the evening show.”

Concert from 20:55 to 22:40, sold out
    Tape: stereo soundboard, 105 minutes, excellent
    Engineer: Glyn Johns
    Film: complete show in 16mm colour by Steve Gold & Jerry Goldstein.
    Support: Van Der Graaf Generator; Fat Mattress (debut; fee UK Ł200)
    Promoter: Harold Davison Ltd.
    Audience: 5,000
    Tickets: 3/6, 7/6, 10/6, 13/6, 16/6, 21/- (Guinea).

Songs:

Lover Man (15)
    Stone Free (13)
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again (19)
    I Don’t Live Today (31)
    Red House (47)
    Foxy Lady (60)
    Sunshine Of Your Love (26) > (Jack Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
    < Outside Woman Blues (3) (‘Blind’ Joe ‘Reynolds’)
    Bleeding Heart (10) (Elmore James)
    Fire (55)
    Little Wing (14)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (48)>
    <Room Full Of Mirrors (7) *
    (Encore):
    Purple Haze (69)>
    <Wild Thing (27)> (John ‘Chip Taylor’ Voight)
    <Star Spangled Banner (18) (John Stafford Smith [music]) [aka “Smashing Of Amps”]

* JHE jamming with Dave Mason – guitar, Chris Wood - flute and Kwasi ‘Rocky Dijon’ Dzidzournou – congas

Mitch: “Noel was getting more involved with his own band, Fat Mattress. He had insisted they open for us... I always thought this was strange, him doing that and Jimi resented it. Fat Mattress were just OK, but essentially a pretty lightweight band. Hendrix used to call them Thin Pillow. Incredible as it may seem after all of Noel’s hustling for Fat Mattress, they bounced him out a short time later, gratitude, eh?”
    [The Hendrix Experience by Mitch Mitchell and John Platt, p. 128].

Noel: “The show on the 24th was better by far. It was such a nerve-racking night for me. The Fat Mattress was support group and my tension was fantastic.
    [...] The Albert Hall is an important night even for the Experience. We even rehearse!
    [...] Everything was Chaos though. Chas finally came down to try and help sort it out. Whatever was wrong, I don’t know. We played for 1.5 hours, but it was only OK; Jimi seemed listless, even if we did have one of our few onstage jams. [...] The crowds were huge that night and a small riot started. Amazing the strength of a crowd and afterwards when I was trying to get away my car got bent up in the crush of it.”

Record Mirror (08 March) ‘Mitch: Different Line-Ups Are Like Different Women’, dressing room interview by Valerie Mabbs: ‘The afternoon before the second Albert Hall concert for
    Jimi Hendrix and the Experience. The scene is set with amps piled high and roadies bustling efficiently around the stage. The amiable Mitch Mitchell is there setting up his drums, while Noel Redding wanders round trying to recuperate in the lull before the Storm.

Mr. Phenomenal!
    Then we wait, fidget around anticipating the arrival of the phenomenal Mr. Hendrix-who finally bursts on the scene sporting the inevitable felt hat with gaily coloured scarf band. Then a run-through of the evening’s programme. Great promise of what was to come, with added irritations of Jimi’s mike packing up completely, or giving out a high pitched ‘scream,’ and interference from a recorder being used by a ‘representative of the press.’

Mitch’s own group
    After several gruelling hours’ rehearsal and posing for photographs Jimi left, leaving all anticipating his return in the evening. Before the concert I joined Mitch in his dressing room to discuss the new developments among the Experience. Most people will now be aware of the new group, Fat Mattress, formed by Noel Redding, but fewer people are aware that Mitch also plans to form his own group.

[…] Mitch certainly doesn’t have time to sit around, and while Noel displayed his talents fronting his group Fat Mattress, Mitch busied himself entertaining his parents and uncle, while preparing to go onstage. People may now hint that the Experience have gone as far as they can go together, and are preparing their own outlets in case of ‘a rainy day.’ But the concert dispelled any such fears.

Harsh & brutal Jim!
    Jimi’s opening numbers were harsh and brutal, but mellowed and progressed into some blues slanted tunes during his over sixty-minute appearance. There were the usual ‘chug chug’ and driving guitar numbers, and the ever popular ‘Foxy Lady’ - it seems no audience would consider a Hendrix set complete without this number.

Wild Audience
    Audiences go wild and on this occasion one brave chap danced high up over the stage to show his appreciation - and an attendant who removed him was heartily booed! But it’s not just the fanatical audiences who remain faithful to the Experience; many musicians still flock to hear and appreciate the Hendrix magic. Among the audience on this one occasion were Denny Laine, Cat Stevens, Eddie Thornton, Viv (now wishing to be known as Vic!) Stanshall, Chris Wood, and Dave Mason. Surely proof enough that the Experience still have a lot of solid down-to- earth appeal for many people - even though Mr. Hendrix himself is rather elusive!

Foxy Paper (February/ March) ‘Eyewitness report’ by Ben Valkhoff: At about 18:45 the numerous doors of the Royal Albert Hall opened up and together with our president Mr. Glebbeek, and two other Dutch fans, I went inside. One hour later the hall was chock-full (5,000 people), among them the singer of the Bonzo Dog Band (Vivian Stanshall) and Gordon of ‘Peter & Gordon’. The support-acts were Van Der Graaf Generator, and Flat [sic] Mattress, founded by Noel Redding, with Mike Hugg (of the Manfred Mann Group) guesting on piano. Noel didn’t play bass here, but rhythm guitar. According to Jimi they play ‘Anglo Rock,’ which means British rock. It wasn’t impressive. During the inter mission we went backstage, after walking through many corridors. Opposite the dressing rooms there was a bar, where Noel promised us that we could visit Jimi in his dressing room soon. Because of the American film crew, who stayed there a long time, we couldn’t go in. Five minutes before they had to perform Jimi came, walking hastily. Therefore we hurried to find our Seats.
    Jimi entered the Stage, dressed in a waistcoat with sparkling coloured ‘spangles’ at the back, green trousers, white boots and a red/yellow bandana tied around his head. In chronological order they played “Stone Free, “I Don’t Live Today,” “Red House,” “Foxy Lady,” “Sunshine Of Your Love,” “Fire,” “Little Wing” and “Voodoo Child (Slight Return).” Among these old numbers four brand-new ones were played, which will probably be on the new album. Three titles we could detect, namely “I’m Gonna Leave This Town,” “People, People,” and “Room Full Of Mirrors.” The show was interrupted twice by two toddlers, who ran onto the stage and shook hands with Jimi under thunderous applause. After the JHE had played their last number (“Room Full Of Mirrors”), and had left for the dressing-rooms, the crowd started to shout “MORE.” And.. .an encore was given. And what an encore it was! An encore of fifteen minutes during which “Purple Haze” and “Wild Thing” were played. A bongo [sic] player joined, and a flutist who nearly blew his lungs out in his efforts to be heard above the noise of Jimi etc. At the end of “Wild Thing” something happened which Jimi had not done for a long time. He turned around, and stormed at one of his Marshall speaker cabinets. By the third time he drove his guitar inside until a large hole appeared in the canvas, then took hold of the neck of the guitar, and started to hit - the amplifier which caused an enormous noise! The only thing that remained of the guitar was the neck, which he threw into the audience!!! Mitch surely didn’t want to stay behind, because his drumsticks also went into the crowd. Some tried to climb onto the stage, but these people were knocked off in an expert way by the roadies. It really became quiet when a few of the London ‘Bobbies’ came on stage. In total Jimi, Noel, and Mitch played 1 3/4 of an hour. Again, it was great...”

Melody Maker (01 March) review by Chris Welch: “At the Albert Hall, [fans] were experiencing a legend come to life and they responded with cheers which nearly, but not quite, equalled the ovation given to the Cream’s farewell concert in the same hall last November.
    When he broke into ‘Purple Haze’ feet pounded the hallowed floors, and whistles pierced the Victorian dome. The Hendrix electricity was still working. He even managed to get away with avoiding ‘Hey Joe’ without any audible protest. The crowd were happy enough to let Jimi choose the material, without bugging him with too many requests.
    Yet those in a position to compare past Hendrix performances might have been critical... Missing was the old showman ship... Not that old gimmicks were wanted. As Miles Davis once said: ‘That’s where we’ve been.’ But the lengthy performance stretched his improvisational powers to the limit... He made brilliant use of wah-wah pedal, string scraping, and probing, producing amusing and surprising sound effects. But the Experience lacked rehearsal.
    On several occasions they failed to swing or rock, and seemed to be dragging the beat. Drummer Mitch was in subdued form. They may have been handicapped by poor acoustics. Although baffle shields have been hung from the roof, the Hall is always a difficult place to play, especially for loud electric bands
    Now they have generally cooled off their approach..., the addition of an extra instrument, for example, another guitar or organ, would give them extra scope and strength and allow more freedom”

The Official Jimi Hendrix Fan Club Of Great Britain (newsletter, April/May) review by Jane Simmons: “At the end [of the show] he said that he was sorry but he had to go and thanked every one for coming once again and left the stage. The crowd then went absolutely berserk and shouted for more for about 4-5 minutes. Some people started to leave as it didn’t look as though they were coming back, but they did and then they went absolutely... - well, there is no word for it! People were dancing in the aisles. Jimi went mad with the atmosphere and they did ‘Purple Haze’ and ‘Wild Thing.’ He played with his teeth and then on the floor....
    Then he started charging his amplifier with his guitar like a Spanish bull fighter - poor old Jerry [actually Eric Barrett and John ‘Upsy’ Downing], our roadie, was hanging on to
    the amps for dear life (he was the bull methinks). Finally when it was smashed he threw it out to the audience and settled a feud between two boys fighting over his plectrum in the audience. Mitch threw his drum - sticks to the audience too and just about managed to get off the stage before it was besieged by fans, police, bouncers, floor managers and practically the entire audience! A great night was had by all!!!”

Kris Needs: “This was the only time I ever saw Hendrix. Much of the showmanship had been dropped in favor of long, bluesy jams, delivered with bowed concentration. It was the best show I’ll ever see. At times it seemed if the roof of the old building would roar off into the starry night. Hendrix’s blues were awesome his high keening screams wrenched the heart from its socket. The growling violence of ‘Voodoo Child (slight return)’ was like being in the electric chair. His feedback created sounds which have never been repeated”

Gary Hill [fan]: “Being a skinny, 15-year old freak (no one called themselves a ‘hippy’ back then) and often as not mistaken for a girl, I found myself being lifted along with several genuine girls onto the side of the stage as the crush at the front became worse; shortly after this Jimi went into... a new number called ‘Room Full Of Mirrors,’ and Dave Mason, Chris Wood, plus “Rocky” joined him: an amazing, even definitive, performance, a million times better than the gimmicky version on Rainbow Bridge.
    I also remember the hum of the equipment between songs, Jimi’s frequent Cheshire-cat grins.., and the finale of [charging] his speakers with great gusto... The next day my ears still rang to such an extant that I failed to respond when my name was called at morning class-registration; my deafness mistaken for insolence, I received a detention.”

Dave Mason (guitarist, Mason, Capaldi, Wood & Frog): “We jammed [on Room Full Of Mirrors] It was fun. I made no pretence of keeping up. I just played rhythm.”
    [Unknown source].

“Jimi and I talked about joining the group. When I left Traffic I was gonna join the group on bass, but that got kind of squashed by Chas Chandler and Michael Jeffery... Pfff, I wouldn’t have bought a used car [from Jeffery], I can tell you that! I was gonna join the band and all of a sudden it was just all f***ing different
    [Interviewed by Tony Brown for Jimi Hendrjx: Electric Gypsy - Chicago, 31 May 1989].
    NB: Jimi was appointed godfather to Dave Mason’s son True from his first marriage to Lorraine. Not a lot of people know that! Lorraine: ‘True was born on 11 June 1970. Jimi saw True before Dave [as he was living with another women… I called Dave and said, ‘You have a son.’ He said, ‘Thanks for calling’ and hung up! When True was 13 days old, I took him to see his godfather.”

The Official Jimi Hendrix Fan Club Of Great Britain (news letter, April/May) article by Jane Simmons: “The entire show.. was filmed, folks! If you send your ticket stub from the concert to Track Records mark the envelope “ticket stub” and also an
    S.A.E....
    Those of you Royal Albert Hail who were there will have found it difficult to see because of the film crews, cameras and equipment, so to make up for this you will be invited free of charge to the premiere of the film, This is the reason you must send your ticket stub with an s.a.e. so that Track can send you details… I do not have any further details at present for a general release date of the film, but you can be sure that when I have you’ll be knowing about it!!”

Noel: ‘The quality [of the film] is absolutely amazing. The colours are brilliant, the sound is fantastic - it’s what I’d imagine it was like watching a JHE gig from the front row!’

The Official Jimi Hendrix Fan Club Of Great Britain (newsletter, April/May).Jane Simmons: “My thanks to Dutch fan club Sec. Caesar for his bottles of ‘Bols’ - the staff of Track haven’t been right since! Caesar flew [sic - actually ferry] from Holland especially for the Albert Hall show!”
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-08-15 at 07:56 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: