source:
    http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/encycl...816&per_page=5

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ifmanbearpig For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,853 Posts

Re: 1969-05-09 Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA

Friday 9 May 1969
    Charlotte Coliseum, 2700 E Independence Boulevard, NC. JHE
    The band flew in from Van De Graff Field Airport, Tuscaloosa, to Charlotte-Douglas International Airport.
    Concert at 20:30.
    Support: Chicago
    MC: J.W. Morgan.
    Promoter: Cora Promotions and Hit Attractions
    Accommodation: "Red Carpet Inn Motel," 615 E. Morehead Street, Charlotte.
    Poster: Generic psyche-ish star burst with group heads and nudes by David Byrd
    Also? cheap oange & black on white by Globe Poster Company, Baltimore
    Audience: 13,000 - sold out.

Songs:

Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry) [1st song]
    Fire
    Foxy Lady
    Spanish Castle Magic
    Red House
    Purple Haze
    Voodoo Child (slight return)
    and others unknown.

Noel: “That night [9 May] we played the same hall we played 2 years earlier with the Monkees.”

Michael Goldstein: “He would enter his room, draw the drapes closed, [and] place colored scarfs over the lamps. Hendrix was afraid too much sun would give him acne.”

Ron Terry: "Regardless of his growing wealth and popularity, Hen*drix kept to himself on the tour, it was room service for Jimi. I called Jimi 'The Bat,' and he would call me 'Sun God.’ He never opened the drapes until the sun went down.
    To show you what his sense of humor was, once, when we were in Charlotte. I was sitting by the pool and he came running down from his room, in his bathrobe, with the hood on so that the sun couldn't get to him, and gave me an issue of the National Enquirer. On the front cover was a picture of a lady whose face had been decayed by the sun. He said, 'This is what's going to happen to you, you silly ass,' and ran back to his room. While I was reading it I looked up at his win*dow and he was peeking through the drapes to see what I was doing. It was silly, but it was just his way of showing he was really aware of that was going down all the time'"

Inquisition (Vol. 2, # 3, June+) ‘Man this is Jimi’ - review by Ronnie Parson and Gary Rice: “The only thing that has happened in Charlotte, the all American GRIT city, since the invention of the plow for the red necks, was the Hendrix concert May ninth at the Coliseum. For all you grits he’s that sik-ar-delic gitar picking nigger and the Coliseum is that big round building on Independence. J.W. Morgan introduced Chicago, the back-up group for the concert. Most of their numbers were off a new two-record album which they had just released. The reaction of the audience to this group was generally slow until the last number, which was more or less a blues oriented jam.
    After Chicago finished playing there was a short intermission so that equipment could be set up. Evidently one wasn’t supposed to leave his seat during the so-called intermission, because the heat - (Charlotte Law Enforcement Officers) were telling everyone to ‘git in their seat.’ We hardly sat down before we noticed a plain clothesman patrolling the aisles. He approached our seats and asked if the movie camera which I was holding was a tape recorder. Unconvinced it was not a tape recorder, he took it and examined it, then decided that I was right after all, that it was indeed a movie camera. After returning it to me, he began hassling my friend; the incident went as follows:
    Cop: What’s in that case under your chair?
    Friend: A Polaroid camera.
    Cop: Do you have a tape recorder?
    Friend: No.
    Cop: Open up the case.
    Friend: Do you have a search warrant?
    Cop: Open it up.
    Friend: I don’t believe I have to without a search warrant.
    Cop (grabbing him by the arm): Step outside.
    Friend (by this time a uniformed pig appeared):
    Am I not entitled to a search warrant by the Constitution?
    Cops: Step outside son.
    At this time Hendrix came on stage, and deciding it wasn’t worth the hassle l opened the case proving the fuzz wrong once more. Needless to say the concert was fantastic. During his performance Hendrix did some of his well known numbers including ‘Fire’, Foxy Lady’, ‘Spanish Castle Magic’, ‘Purple Haze’ and ‘Voodoo Chile’. Along with these was a fantastic blues number -which lasted approximately twenty minutes.
    At one time during the show the fans came swarming from their seats to the stage, but the pigs held them back. Between songs he encouraged non violent revolution, cracked jokes about the narcs, and commented on his last performance in Charlotte. Midway through the concert after our minds had become somewhat unzapped over actually hearing Hendrix playing, we decided to go to the stage and shoot some pictures. We had only taken a few shots when the boys dressed in black started chasing everyone back to their seats. We sat down awhile, until our butts started itching again, and then sneaked back to the stage for a few shots as the performance ended.
    Obviously the cops were glad the show was over, for they were rushing people out the door right away. We couldn’t figure out whether they didn’t dig the loud music or whether they were in a hurry to get to the bus station.”

[unknown?]: “On May 9, 1969 Hendrix was slated to appear at the Charlotte Coliseum. Not satisfied with what I had seen in Atlanta several months before [August 1968], I drove up for the show. The concert had already begun when we arrived so we stumbled to our seats through a capacity crowd.
    After being seated I realized that the first act on the show was incredibly good. We did not know who they were until the end of their set when the MC announced they were a new group called…Chicago.
    Hendrix started his set with ‘Johnny B. Good and immediately the crowd was on its feet cheering. He played for an hour and five minutes, ending his set with ‘Purple Haze.’ When the crowd demanded more they returned to the stage and played ‘Voodoo Child’ for twenty minutes amid screams, shouting, and standing ovations. During the concert, I witnessed the showmanship I had heard so much about. Hendrix was truly the superstar he was made out to be.”

[unknown?]: “On May 9, 1969 Hendrix was slated to appear at the Charlotte Coliseum. Not satisfied with what I had seen in Atlanta several months before [August 1968], I drove up for the show. The concert had already begun when we arrived so we stumbled to our seats through a capacity crowd.
    After being seated I realized that the first act on the show was incredibly good. We did not know who they were until the end of their set when the MC announced they were a new group called…
    Last edited by stplsd; 09-16-17 at 03:18 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,552 Times in 491 Posts

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 482 Posts

Charlotte

Thanks

The Red Carpet Inn is no more. Looks like a office building named Morehouse place is there now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveH For This Useful Post: