11. Purple Haze

crazy_cat Guest

Re: 1968-09-14 Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood, California USA

crazy_cat Guest

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 485 Posts

Last edited by billo528; 06-28-12 at 07:25 PM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

few photos

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zombywoof57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 380 Posts

Soundcheck

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luigi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 380 Posts

Soundcheck

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luigi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Last edited by jhendrixfanatic; 10-09-14 at 09:28 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,060 Posts

Saturday 14 September 1968
    Los Angeles, Hollywood Bowl, 2301 N. Highland Avenue, CA, USA. JHE
    Leon claims he met Jimi, who informed him of his room (they are so close).
    All Along The Watchtower (new entry) 87 Cash Box
    AYE ? (R&B ?) Billboard
    Axis ? Billboard
    Last of KHJ’s ‘Summer ‘68’ concerts
    Rehearsal and
    Concert by JHE at 20:30 (75 minutes), sold out.
    Support: Vanilla Fudge; Soft Machine; Eire Apparent.
    Soft Machine’s last gig with Jimi Hendrix
    Promoter: radio station 93 KHJ Boss Radio
    Audience: 18,000. Attended by Carmen, Buddy Miles [and Leon, and Fayne (!) he claims. Strange that Jimi didn’t name-check them along with Carmen and Buddy? And that Fayne never mentioned having been there? All her reminicences of Jimi are set in N.Y.]JHE fee: $30,000.

Songs:

Are You Experienced (9)
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (27)
    Red House (26)
    Foxy Lady (100)
    Fire (33)
    Hey Joe (35) (Billy Roberts)
    Sunshine Of Your Love (8) (Jack Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
    I Don’t Live Today (20)
    Little Wing (10)
    Star Spangled Banner (6) (instrumantal, so John Stafford Smith)
    Purple Haze (46)

Noel: “As we walked on stage, a bass string broke for the one and only time in my career. The snap scared the shit out of me. The show went better than anyone could have anticipated and our relief was audible in the music. Relief too that the water splashed by fans invading the stage-front pool didn’t lead to mass electrocution…The only sour note to the occasion came when Jimi dedicated a number to Buddy Miles.. .who tried to come on stage and got beaten up by a policeman for his pains.”

Los Angeles Times (16 September) ‘Jimi Hendrix in Concert at Bowl’ - review by Pete Johnson: “The Jimi Hendrix Experience was too much for the ushers who have managed to confine spectators to their seats during the summer series of rock concerts in the Hollywood Bowl. The audience pushed forward, clogged the aisles and stood craning to see the wild man and his guitar.
    It was one of Hendrix’s best appearances locally and came only a year after he received a generally
    adverse reaction from a Bowl crowd who had come to see the Mamas and the Papas and were hardly ready for several hundreds watts of feedback guitar manipulated by a showman who knows the value of dashes of vulgarity. This, however, was his show and it was very easy to forget his frustrated retreat from the stage last summer.
    Since then two of his albums have become best sellers, he has become one of the most-discussed guitar stylists in rock and - probably most important in terms of packing the Bowl - Hendrix the Iconoclastic Negro has become a rallying point for youth in their conflict with adult tastes.
    He heads one of the best trios in rock music, a trio dominated by his screaming guitar and dry husky voice. But his dominance is made possible by the solid underpinning of Redding and Mitchell on bass and drums, a freely interacting rhythm section which would stand out in any rock combo, whatever its size.
    Hendrix’ guitar playing is hard to assess because his electronic manipulations are so tightly interwoven with his basic instrumental technique.
    No one else handles feedback as well as he does and his knowledge of the instrument is so thoroughly that he can play easily with one hand, with his teeth or in any number of strange performing positions. It would, however, be interesting to hear him work with an acoustic guitar.
    His voice is not one of the greatest in pop music and his lyrics tend to be simplistic, but he remains one of the most electric (in either sense) acts in rock because of his theatrical talents. He embodies rebellion on stage and manages to distill [sic] the primitive sensuality of a decade’s worth of rock performers into a one-hour show.”

Los Angeles Free Press (20 September) review by Nat Freedland: “Splish-splash, I was taking a bath, roundaboutuh Saturday night’ At the Holly wood Bowl, mayhap??? Jimi Hendrix didn’t play Darin’s plastic-rock standard Saturday night but it was the themesong of his wildman Set. Like sort of an ‘Oh yeah, that’s where rock excitement is at, as opposed to heavyhype rock excitemachine.’
    There is a minim of gittar-lickin with his teeth and no other parts of his anatomy are brought into the sound production. Hendrix has now secured sufficiently to forfend [sic] gimcrackery and lay it on with the music and projections of his weird, wiggy personna [sic] The man is an undisputable virtuoso, the Chuck Berry of the acid generation, a maestro of amp feedback technology as well as the guitar.
    Perhaps halfway through his bachannale [sic] of decibels, as Hendrix punctuates a climax with one of his kama sutra guitar-neck phallus splits and dips, there is a bit of a tinkle in the olde-majestic Hollywood pool down front and there is some cat in there doing – what else? - the swim. Hendrix goes right on creating joyful noise and ejaculating his box.
    It’s like a miniscule concentrate of the worldwide balance of terror. The rent-a-cops don’t want to go into the pool and get their uniforms and bullets wet. Hendrix obviously couldn’t dream of blowing his ultimate coolth image so when he finishes the number he says something like, ‘Groovy man, do your thing.’ So naturally a chick comes into the pool and freaks out.... Naturally everybody in the sold out bowl who wasn’t in the mood for a late night swim was leaping up and down on the seats and trampling over the poor ushers to get down front. You can see the flame of insane hatred in the eyes of the rent-a-fuzz as they do Keystone Kop chases around the front row. But apparently they hadn’t laid on enough heatpower and the pool became something out of an Esther Williams Splashmovie as about 50 kids - enough to eventually fill the entire center of the pool - did fancy swandives and fast freestyle swimming to join the water sharing rite....
    Noel Redding started making announcements that he was afraid he’d get electrocuted with his bass if the water brothers didn’t stop splashing. Mitch Mitchell left the drums to offer his towel and a hand up to a few waterlogged waders.
    It was getting towards 12:30 a.m. and Hendrix announces that the management will turn off the power if he doesn’t get through his last couple of songs with out any more hooraw. A guy storms the stage to stick his head into one of the speakers; is thrown off. By this
    time the ‘Experience’ has blown out two speakers. The sticky-sweet carrion smell of death agony electronic circuitry is drifting up to the bleachers.
    It has became a genyooine Pop Happening teetering at the edge of bloodbath hysteria as all good mobscenes should. But somehow festive cool is maintained, Hendrix finds just the right touch to bring everybody down to earth once more by prefacing his last number with a lengthy, discordant treatment of the National Anthem - which isn’t just a freakout tune, let’s face it.”

New Musical Express (28 September) review by Bruce Johnson (Beach Boys, guitarist): “There were 18,000 people there and the place was packed to capacity. It was one of the most exciting concerts I’ve ever seen - Jimi was fantastic... The Soft Machine started the show and were pretty good but the Vanilla Fudge had a lot of trouble with the sound system. It wasn’t perfect for Jimi either but he put on such a good show it didn’t matter.
    The orchestra pit in front of the stage is filled with water when there are no extra musicians and half the audience ended up swimming around in it - well fifty of them anyway!’

Noel: “We can’t settle down afterwards and end up partying at Eric’s [Burdon] house

Disc and Music Echo (28 September) ‘Hollywood Calling’ by JUDY SIMS:
    JIMI HENDRIX has done it again... that is, he’s still doing it. Driving crowds wild, playing guitar like a fiend, and generally leaving a trail of broken hearts and eardrums wherever he plays. At the Hollywood Bowl several people jumped into the moat and swam up to him (endangering their lives, what with all that electronic equipment) while the Hendrix gnashed and bumped his guitar.”
    [Mitch was also interviewed by Judy]

[unknown paper?]: Jimi Hendrix Experience put on one of their best appearances locally last week at the Hollywood Bowl. Fans became so enthusiastic that they left their seats, surged towards the stage (which is fronted by an enormous water fountain) and stood craning to see the wild man.

Kevin Ayers: “We never got the royalties for our first record amd that sold a lot of copies. Chas Chandler died just as we were getting our case together... I didn’t like either of them after a while, Chas Chandler or Mike Jeffery. I mean Chas Chandler was quite charming in a way but he was a villain. So was Jeffery. No other word to describe them.”

“Fortunately both-both people who were involved are dead now, it’s ehm, Mike Jefferies and Chas Chandler. And they would just keep him, you know, give-feed him enough money so he could indulge in what he wanted an’ maybe a car here, or, you know, this that and the other. But the real money went off-shore and Hendrix never saw it. Ehm, and I think a lot of people worked o’-on the assumption, in those days, that basically keep your artist stoned and, you know, supplied with girls and whatever, and they won’t actually ask you how much they earned. And I saw that happening. An’ it happened to, ehm, Soft Machine. All the money that we earned from our first album in the States was nicked by Chas Chandler.”

Robert Wyatt: “When we did see [Mike Jeffery] every once a year or whatever it was, he seemed to be much more sun tanned every time! The management take on all the kind of hustling qualities off the musicians, so he can appear like a fucking saint, you know what I mean? Whereas lesser mortals have to do their own hassling... Yeah, you'd see more of Chas... I never worked out what [managers] were for!”

“One of the things that mucks up some of the earlier memories is that we didn't get any more money from those early records at all. None of them. Our managers were total crooks and since they are dead I can name them: Mike Jeffries and Chas Chandler. I mean they just took everything. The record companies were no help, they seemed to close rank with managers rather than see musicians go their dues. In my real life I don't remember much peace and love in the music industry era at all. Having said that, I was very happy to have the chance to record, there again, to play piano and do my little Cecil Taylor impersonations. I think everybody should have a got at their Cecil Taylor impersonations.”
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-19-16 at 07:08 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For some reason the thread title on this show doesn't have the one in front of 1968 so it sorts to the back instead of between 9/13 and 9/15 as it should. The original thread poster should fix this. Here is some more show posters for this show as well

Thanks

youtube link for the video (no sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ZFE8zD8kw

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post: