1969-05-23 Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, Washington, USA

Friday, May 23rd, 1969

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced

-photo-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 489 Posts

Re: 1969-05-23 Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, Washington, USA

Last edited by billo528; 04-02-16 at 01:51 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billo528 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 390 Posts

Alternate advert

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luigi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 380 Posts

Setlist Per eyewitness on Steve Hoffman's forum named "Headphone"

Come On (Part I)
    Hear My Train a Comin'
    Foxy Lady
    Red House
    I Don't Live Today
    Fire
    Purple Haze
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,464 Posts

Friday 23 May 1969
    Seattle Center Coliseum, 305 Harrison Street, WA, USA. JHE
    ‘Monterey Pop’ film didn’t open in Seattle until 10 September.
    Concert at 20:30.
    Support: Fat Mattress.
    Promoter: Concerts West
    Audience: 14,000 (capacity 15,000).
    Accommodation: The Sherwood Inn, 400 N.E. 45th Street, Seattle.
    The JHE flew in to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Seattle, Washington from John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York
    unconfirmed set order:

Come On (Part I) (Earl ‘King’ (Johnson)
    Getting My Heart Back Together Again
    Foxy Lady
    Red House
    I Don’t Live Today
    Fire
    Purple Haze
    Voodoo Child (slight return)

Seattle Post-Intelligencer, (24 May) ‘Jimi’s Wa-Wa Guitar Brings It On Home’ – review by Bruce Buls: “I’m not really sure why, but I went to the Jimi Hendrix concert last night in the Coliseum JHEecting Hendrix to be down. I think one of the reasons for this is that Hendrix has been so very popular here in his home town in the past, that I was afraid he had already peaked out. It was with this JHEectation that I greeted Fat Mattress, the only other group to play. Fat Mattress is a splinter group from the Hendrix JHEerience as Noel Redding, the Hendrix JHEerience bass player, is the lead guitar of the Fat Mattress. The Fat Mattress wasn’t particularly outstanding. They are a loud hard rock group and Red’s [sic] lead guitar playing isn’t as good as his bass support with Hendrix. The audience never got very turned on by the Fat Mattress, having come solely to hear Garfield High School’s alum, Jimi Hendrix.
    Hendrix opened the show by asking the audience to forget about yesterday, forget about tomorrow and try to build a world, right then, in the Coliseum, with the music. He also dedicated the show to his family and to Garfield. Then, as an afternote, he asked the audience not to flash any flashbulbs because they disturbed his concentration on stage. The minute he started playing, the flashbulbs started going off like fire crackers. It suddenly seemed like the place was filled with ghouls, all armed with a million flashcubes. It was incredible. It was insulting. But apparently the flashing didn’t bother Hendrix as much as it did me, because when he launched into ‘Foxy Lady,’ it was Hendrix as good as ever.
    He played both old and new numbers, but it was the old stuff that seemed to go over the best, especially ‘Foxy Lady,’ ‘Purple Haze,’ ‘I Don’t Live Today’ and ‘Voodoo Child.’ During all these songs, Hendrix proved once again that no one can play arid play with a guitar as he can. When he gets that white wa-wa guitar between his legs and he’s swaying back and forth and the music is coming out in heavy waves and even the flashcubers are caught up in it, it’s a unique JHEerience.”

Jack Bell (fan): “The 23rd of May promised to be an exciting day for me. At last, I could view first-hand the seemingly impossible genius that was Jimi Hendrix. I just couldn’t believe the absolute tornado of sound that I was hearing on his LPs. And I just couldn’t fathom that such a cool dude would ever have lived in the world’s biggest small town, Seattle!
    The evening air was pleasantly cool that day; hardly a cloud in the evening sky. My brother (a guitar player) had bought two tickets that situated us about 20 rows back on the main floor. Jimi & Co. were positioned at the south end of a rather steeply-sided arena. Contrary to some reports, the stage itself was not rotating this particular evening. I was 22 years old, and I noticed that the audience was made up of equal parts teenyboppers, pseudo-hippies, and slightly older people like me!
    After a tepid set by Fat Mattress there was a slight intermission, then the MC announced: ‘Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Reprise Records artists Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, and Seattle’s own - Jimi Hendrix!’ You can imagine the thunderous ovation given to the JHEerience by this ‘home-town crowd.’
    I remember vividly that someone helped Jimi up to the stage by literally reaching down and vaulting him upwards. Jimi looked ready and very relaxed. He surveyed the crowd in that off-hand way of his, and went into his now legendary ‘rap intro’ - ‘Well, it has been a long time, hasn’t it? Let’s just make our own little world right here and now, and, you know, just float our little minds, blah-blah, woof-woof.’ (Slightly bewildered laughter from the audience.). Then he played a little blues riff that had my brother gasping for air! Next, Jimi launched into a blistering rendition of ‘Come On,’ and he is flowing across the stage, bending, dancing, twisting like a Voodoo initiate. People begin to stand up in front of me - hundreds of them crowded to the edge of the stage; I am pissed off by this, and so is security.
    Suddenly the power is turned off by the Powers That Be! The MC then intoned soberly that ‘Jimi will not play until people return to their seats!’ Jimi himself is standing off to one side of the stage, pulling faces at the security people - clearly this has nothing to do with him.
    As people reluctantly returned to their seats, the band launched into another tune. Sadly, I cannot remember the running order of the songs Jimi laid on us that night, but I know that he played ‘Fire,’ ‘I Don’t Live Today,’ ‘Red House,’ Foxy Lady,’ and several others. He saved the best for the last: a stunning rendition of ‘Voodoo Child (slight return)’ that had everyone mesmerized and left speechless at this man’s effortless creative powers. The Coliseum at that time did not have a glass ceiling per se; but the outer runways of the bowl-shaped building did have large windows - the weather outside had inexplicably turned stormy, and lightning flashes were seemingly keeping time with the music!
    After the show, the many thousands of people filed out of the building; most people had a look of stunned astonishment. We all knew that we had seen an artist of the highest calibre, and we all understood how lucky we had been to witness Jimi Hendrix. I have spoken over the years with many people who attended several of Jimi’s concerts in Seattle, and those in the know vouch for my opinion that the 1969 concert was the best of Jimi’s four Seattle appearances. At the time, I felt that Hendrix was trying to communicate in a very spiritual, soulful way; it has been a revelation for me to read, over the years, of Jimi’s yearning to ‘wash people’s souls.’ On this particular night, he did just that!
    My fervent hope is that someone will still come for ward with a tape of this amazing concert. It is astonishing to me that so little of Jimi’s four Seattle performances were captured on tape. But I have heard that more tapes do exist; so let’s hope they’ll find their way to us.”

Janie: “Jimi was doing one of his famous squats with the guitar and he split his gold-coloured pants. He backed up casually and grabbed a shirt off one of the amps. Jimi then proceeded to tie it around his waist. Nobody even close by was aware of this and he made it through the rest of the set just fine.”
    Last edited by stplsd; 08-03-17 at 03:27 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffalorattle For This Useful Post: