Thread: 1967-01-04 Bromel Club, Bromley Court Hotel, Bromley, Kent, England

Thanks

1967-01-04 Bromel Club, Bromley Court Hotel, Bromley, Kent, England

Wednesday, January 4th, 1967
    Bromel Club, Bromley Court Hotel, Bromley, Kent, England

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced

Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 07-22-11 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 657 Posts

Re: 1967-01-04 Bromel Club, Bromley Court Hotel, Bromley, Kent, England

two shows. First of more than 240 shows in that year.

Richard Green of Record Mirror interviews Jimi Hendrix before the first show, the interview is published 12 Jan 1967.

http://platenkast.web-log.nl/platenk...0/01/4jan.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 657 Posts

Bromley court was the first tour, and Chiselhust caves must have been an 'event' , I think he played purple haze as the last number, and finished it with playing with his teeth ...... backwards...... a trick jimi could do, play a song backwards live! . I think he also did 'hey Joe' and 'Killing floor'...

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/co...ussionID=30718

YankeeDisc
    7th Mar 2011
    Quote by YankeeDisc, from discogs.com entry, 21 Jan 2010.
    http://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix-...elease/1451042
    Notes in bold added for clarity
    "I saw bands live at gigs, like Pink Floyd [with Sid Barrett], Led Zeppelin, The Who, Santana, Frank Zappa, etc. etc. I was lucky enough to be probably in the first 10,000 people to see Hendrix, as Jimi Hendrix Experience, perform live, and I stood 6 to 8 feet away from him, when he performed both tunes on this single entry [i.e. Hey Joe and Stone Free], at a tiny club in London, England, Jan. 1967 [The Bromel Club, Bromley Court Hotel, Bromley, Kent, on Wed. 4th January, 1967.] . Any Hendrix fan knows that "Stone Free" was one of his best rock tracks, so that is why I have included it. Without checking his discography, I think that "Stone Free" was only available on a single release, until a 'Hits' album came along.
    Rather poignantly Hendrix died in London. It was on my 22nd birthday".

http://www.45cat.com/record/56139

The set list for this show included, most likely:

Killing Floor
    Hey Joe
    Stone Free
    Purple Haze

[it is possible that Purple Haze and Killing Floor belong to the Chiselhust concert but since Jimi Hendrix recorded Purple Haze at Delane Lea on the 11th, I think it is correct to assume that these songs were played at the 4th of Jan 1967]
    Last edited by Ezy Rider; 03-12-11 at 10:24 AM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhendrixfanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    First of more than 240 shows in that year.
    To say he played more than 240 shows that year is misleading. He played concerts on 170 days out of 365, a large proportion were in the London area, very few were outside the UK. One show was cancelled after 2 numbers, another was mimed! and probably was only a couple of songs anyway. Only 34 of these dates were 2 show gigs. Plus on 3 of the other dates he played gigs at two different venues. Many of the shows were less than half an hour. There were very few, if any, much over 45 mins. He of course, in addition, played several radio and TV shows, but many of these were mimed, recorded on the same day as a show and seldom more than 2 songs anyway. And most of these were recorded in London. Several were just partial recordings of some of the above concerts.

Richard Green, interviewed Jimi after the show, (it appears to have been after the 2nd show) he also reviewed the Bromley show, and went into some detail about his act and the end of the performance, but never even hinted at Jimi setting his guitar on fire, as neither of the witnesses quoted did either, ie Bill's talking bull. It was published on the 14th January.

Bromley was just another one off gig in the London area. Jimi's first UK tour was as support act to the Walker Brothers. He only did one other and that was as co-headliner [but 1st billing] with the Move (a.o.). I have never heard Jimi play backwards guitar with his teeth - although sometimes it sounded pretty rough
    Last edited by stplsd; 05-26-17 at 03:27 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Wednesday 04 January 1967
    Bromley (London), Bromel Club/ Bromel Court Hotel, Bromley Hill, Kent, England. JHE

Although a small club it was part of the ‘bread-&-butter’ circuit that many well known R&B/ ‘rock’ acts of the day played.
    Noel was probably using Chas’ 4-string Gibson EB2 bass.
    Two shows (90 minutes ~)

Songs remembered (thanks to Ezy Rider):

Killing Floor (Chester ‘Howlin’ Wolf’ Burnett)
    Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)
    Stone Free
    Purple Haze
    a.o. unknown

Noel: “Long, hour-and-a-quarter set.” [ie less than the contracted 90 minutes (two 45 minute sets). Ed.]

Record Mirror (12 January), ‘Sex Gimmicks, And Jimi’ - review by Richard Green:
    “Two electric guitars happily emitting sounds as Jimi Hendrix left the stage at the Bromley Court Hotel last week. Considering the indignities the instruments had suffered during the preceding 45 minutes, I wouldn’t have been surprised if they had got up and made a speech.”

“Jimi’s reputation had preceded him into Kent, and a large part of his audience had gone along to see exactly what tricks he did get up to.”
    “More and more often during his act, I was reminded of the early days of The Who, when Pete Townshend was at his most violent - except that Jimi takes it several stages further […]”

Richard Green [?]: “Do you rely on the sex angle for your onstage impact?”
    Jimi: “No, not really. I guess there is some sex, but I don’t plan anything. I just do what I feel at the time.
    Richard Green [?]: [Question about gimmicks]
    Jimi: “Gimmicks? Sure. We don’t work things out though: we just let them happen.”

‘I remember when I got my first guitar, after one month I wanted to join a band.’

‘I remember when I got out of the paratroopers and played down south, on the west coast, and then in Washington, we had guys ten years ago in the States playing what groups are playing here now, only now they call it psychedelic!’

Record Mirror (67-01-12 p.12)
    'The Face' [gossip column]: “ . . . Bill Wyman, Mike Wilshere [who?], Gene Latter [solo artist from Wales. Had released a couple of singles], Viv Prince and Tomorrow's People [aka 'Tomorrow'? - or a different band?] went to see Jimi Hendrix at the Bromel club . . .”

The Bromel was one of the mainstays of the club circuit. Far too much is made of how skint the band were when they were playing the club circuit. They were playing well known gigs on the club circuit for the average fee. No one was making a fortune, but the circuit provided a reasonable living for many musicians, eg Cream, the Bluesbreakers, Georgie Fame’s Blueflames, Zoot Money’s Big Roll Band etc. etc. and the royalties paid for recordings in those days was generally piss-poor.

Thursday 5 January 1967
    D’arblay St. photos.
    The ‘Burberry’ overcoat; the ‘Paris’ suit; mauve, cotton looking, [white?/mauve?] button down shirt with cufflinks (looks like he is probably wearing the same two days later in Manchester, same cufflinks too); the red ‘iron cross’ necklace; the pinky ring.

Thursday 5 January 1967
    UK (Manchester)
    EVENING NEWS & CHRONICLE (page?) [Ad]:
    NEW CENTURY HALL
    Corporation Street
    THIS SATURDAY ! ! !
    6'- ONLY 6'
    Pete Doyle
    Presents
    NEW FACES OF '67
    With
    Hit Recorder of “Hey Joe”
    JIMI HENDRIX
    JIMI HENDRIX
    EXPERIENCE
    And
    300,000 people voted them
    a Hit on TV
    THE SILVERSTONE SET
    THE SILVER STONE SET
    And of course Manchester’s Hit
    Disc Doodler
    DAVE EAGER
    6’ - ONLY 6’ -

Thursday 5 January 1967
    UK
    DISC & MUSIC ECHO (page?) [B&W photo of nice, smiling, bland ‘Seeker’ - short, neat hair and square glasses, ‘SEEKERS—LIKE SHEEP’]
    VERY exciting sounds from Chas Chandler (Animals—do you remember the group? Used to have hits in 1965 . . . and '66)— his first production. “Hey Joe" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. He is the gentleman who plays guitar with every part of his body including (occasionally) his hands.
    Pounding, refined "back to the jungle" sound, this has been a well recorded number but never better than by the fuzzy haired American in box number thirteen.
    (Page?) Top 50:
    wk
    01-NE-41. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix

Thursday 5 January 1967
    UK
    MELODY MAKER (page?) Melody Maker’s Pop 50:
    wk
    01-NE-48. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix

Thursday 5 January 1967
    UK
    RECORD MIRROR (page?) 'Britain's Top 50' [from Thursday’s Record Retailer]:
    wk
    02-38-41. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix

Friday 6 January 1967
    UK
    NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS (page?) Their chart was only a top 30, so no entry for Hey Joe

Thursday 29 July 1965
    UK
    MELODY MAKER (Page 8) [Map of London ‘tube’ with clubs marked] A Melody Maker Guide—Cut Out And Keep ‘Good Rockin’ Tonight!’ Guide to the clubs [top 20. Ed.] where it’s all happening’: [...]
    @# 4. BROMEL CLUB: Swinging club with a licensed bar at Bromley Court Hotel. Hear Chris Farlowe [and the Thunderbirds],[the] Spencer Davis [Group (with Steve Winwood)], Georgie Fame [and the Blue Flames (with Mitch Mitchell)], [the] Graham Bond [Organisation (with Jack Bruce & Ginger Baker)] , Zoot Money ['s Big Roll Band (with Andy Summers)], Five Dimensions, Alex Harvey[maybe 'solo', but possibly with his Big Soul Band], [Jimmy James and the] Vagabonds and many others, mainly Sundays and Wednesdays. Train: Bromley North (SR) and 47 bus to Bromley Hill.

For George photo shoot etc. see:
    http://www.jimihendrix-lifelines.net...-92/index.html

Note: ‘Davy Jones’ and the Manish Boys is David Bowie [on poster - now disappeared from site]
    Last edited by stplsd; 05-26-17 at 04:04 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: