Thread: 1967-01-08 Tollbar, Mojo A Go-Go, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Thanks

1967-01-08 Tollbar, Mojo A Go-Go, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Sunday, January 8th, 1967
    Tollbar, Mojo A Go-Go, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 03-31-11 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks

Re: 1967-01-08 Tollbar, Mojo A Go-Go, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Sunday 08 January 1967
    Sheffield, [Peter Stringfellow’s] King Mojo Club - Toll Bar, Burngreave Road, Yorkshire, England. JHE
    Although a small club it was part of the ‘bread-&-butter’ cicuit that many well known R&B/ ‘rock’ acts of the day played.
    Often attended by visiting ‘celebs’.
    Noel was probably using Chas’ 4-string Gibson EB2 bass.
    Concert (60 minutes)
    JHE fee: £50
    Entrance: 5/-
    Audience: 416
    Songs remembered:
    Purple Haze
    Wild Thing (James ‘Chip Taylor’ Voight)
    and others unknown

The Sheffield Star, advert: “Roaring into 1967 with the new weirdo trio Jimi Hendrick’s Experience.”

Dave Maxwell: “The gig is something that will stay with me forever – a night of rock history. Of course we have to thank Peter Stringfellow as he was very forward-looking and booked Jimi Hendrix to play at the Mojo Club.
    But it was touch and go whether the Jimi Hendrix Experience would play that evening in Sheffield as the night before the band had been involved in a drug bust at the Twisted Wheel venue in Manchester. Noel Redding was hung by his coat on some railings by the police, apparently breaking two of his ribs; the officers concerned were later dismissed for this. I met Noel Redding a couple of years ago and he still vividly remembers that night….
    Even before the gig started there were problems as the Sheffield police had been tipped off about the night before in Manchester. Peter Stringfellow told me an amusing story about this.
    The police in Sheffield at that time didn’t quite know what to do when they received the tip-off from Manchester, so they sent in the fire brigade to check upon things! As Peter related it to me, two burly firemen came into the Mojo Club to see Jimi and said to him, “Come on blackie, where are the drugs?” To which Jimi replied, “No drugs in here, man!”
    They looked around and could not find anything, so Peter told them to apologise to Jimi, which they did. Jimi replied, “Hey, cool, man” from behind a large spliff he had just lit up….
    While he was playing I stood on the floor beside him, the stage being only 12 to 18 inches high. When he took a break, he stepped off the stage and asked me the way to the toilets, so I told him to follow me.
    As we stood together, he asked me if he could get some “stuff.” I told him to hang around at the club as this was the usual place to buy. Of course it was all very innocent in those days – usually uppers and downers, which had been taken from grannies’ pill bottles.
    Graham Oliver: Can you tell me anything about the guitars Jimi used that night, and what songs he played?
    DM: As I remember it, Jimi had two Stratocasters: a sunburst and a blue one.
    They played “Purple Haze,” which Jimi said they were going to record (they did so three days later, on 11 January 1967). They also performed “Wild Thing” – Jimi talked about incorporating the British National Anthem into it to suit the occasion.
    Jimi also played something he called his version of the Blitz. It had wailing sirens and explosions all generated by his guitar and amps [possibly “Third Stone From The Sun”].
    And he did all the usual things, like playing behind his back, playing with his teeth, attacking the amps with his guitar, and bouncing the guitar on the stage. I recall him changing to the blue Strat for the destructive bit.
    Musically, it was a real turning point in my life. I remember going back home after the gig and being unable to sleep from all the excitement at the show, I wrote the following poem:

GLIMPSE
    Through the haze
    Through Color the light
    Into tomorrow
    Stars light the purple haze
    Tall bronze man running into the haze
    Disappears in the velvet of the night.

Sunday 8 January 1967
    UK
    RADIO LONDON {broadcast}, ‘Fab Forty’ presented by Kenny Everett
    24-10. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix Experience [5th week! Ed.]
    28-11. I'm Not Your Stepping Stone – Flies [played support to JH at the Roundhouse. Ed.]
    NE–31. Seagulls - Jonathan King [this horrible creep interviewed JH on his later TV show. JHE also played. Ed.]
    NE–40. Gotta Be A First Time - Riot Squad [Mitch’s old band. all new members Ed.]

Monday 9-01-67 7 ½ Club promo photos.
    #1 Group shots posing with workmen’s tools, the club was still being decorated:
    The vets jacket, no epaulettes; the ‘loud’ shirt; dark, flared trousers.

#2 Jimi with guitar (unplugged) on the stage: The vets jacket, no epaulettes, with badge (US Marshall?); the black satin shirt; the red ‘iron cross’ necklace; the pinky ring; white/rose strat w. red ‘cowboy’ strap.

For photos etc. see:

http://www.jimihendrix-lifelines.net...-95/index.html

And:

http://www.jimihendrix-lifelines.net...-96/index.html
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-30-16 at 04:28 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mojo A Go-Go

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post: