Thread: 1967-01-13 The 7 & 1/2 Club, London, England

Thanks

1967-01-13 The 7 & 1/2 Club, London, England

Friday, January 13th, 1967
    The 7 & 1/2 Club, London, England

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 03-31-11 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Re: 1967-01-13 The 7 & 1/2 Club, London, England

Friday 13 January 1967
    London W1, 7 ½ Club, 5 Whitehorse Street, Mayfair, England. JHE
    Concert (60minutes) at 01:00.
    Noel was probably using Chas’ 4-string Gibson EB2 bass.
    Fee: Noel, “£35”. John Brewer, £“40”
    Songs: unknown

Friday 13 January 1967
    UK
    NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS (page 16) [photo of Jimi at ‘7½ club’, ‘JIMI HENDRIX plays to himself — on a broomstick!’] New To The Charts ‘Wild Jimi Hendrix’ by Keith Altham[This was the basis of the later promo hand-out and the ‘Are You Experienced’ sleeve notes put together by Dave Marsh]
    “The man for whom the words ‘wild one’ were invented has hit us! Jimi Hendrix, 22, from Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., courtesy of ex-Animal Chas Chandler — débuts in the NME chart at No. 24 this week with his self-arranged “Hey Joe” (Polydor).
    Hendrix is a one-man guitar explosion, with a stage act that leaves those who think pop has gone pretty with their mouths hanging open. What this man does to a guitar could get him arrested for assault.
    This is the story of his life in his own words:
    Jimi: ‘Bored to death at 16 I joined the Army—Airborne. A little less than a year of screaming ‘AHHHhh!’ and ‘I’m falllllliiing’ all the time, so I squeezed my way out by breaking my ankle and hurting my back. Then I tried being serious with my first love — music.
    One of The Isley Brothers heard me playing in a club and said he had a job open. Sleeping between them tall tenements was hell — rats running across your chest, cockroaches stealing your last candybar — so I figured, ‘Yeah, I’ll gig.’
    But I got tired of playing in the key of F all the time and turned in my white mohair silk suit and patent leather shoes.
    A tour came through town with BB King, Sam Cooke, Chuck Jackson, Solomon Burke, Jackie Wilson and Hank Ballard. I learned an awful lot when I got a job guitar-picking behind all those names every night.
    In Atlanta I auditioned with Little Richard, copped the gig and worked with him all over the US, finally landing in Los Angeles and playing more gigs with Ike & Tina Turner.
    I quit Little Richard because of a money misunderstanding and to rest. But who can rest in New York? I got a job with another band. I had all these ideas and sounds in my brain and playing this ‘other people’s music’ all the time was hurting me. I jumped from the frying pan into the fire when I joined up with Joey Dee & The Starlighters. Mind you, this is an out of sight group, but..?!?!
    After sucking on a peppermint twist salary I had to quit, and begin playing with a jukebox band, and finally quit that too, with nothing but a ‘wish’ sandwich (two pieces of bread — wishing I had some meat between).
    Finally I formed up with three other guys under the name of The Blue Flame (no connection). I was living off sympathy until my English friend appeared from nowhere and persuaded Chas Chandler of The Animals to come down to where I was gigging and give an ear.
    We came here to England, picked out two of the best musicians — Noel Redding from The Loving Kind for bass and Mitch Mitchell, an ex-Blue Flame, on drums — and formed The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
    Now I’m going to make certain I don’t fluff it all up!’”
    (Page?) NME’s Pop 30:
    wk
    01-NE-24. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix Experience

Radio Luxembourg, hugely ‘influencial’ Europe wide, used the NME chart.

Friday 13 (16) January 1967
    UK
    INTERNATIONAL TIMES (page 8) ‘Miles Interviews Paul McCartney’: Paul:[...]“Stockhausen isn't played on Radio London every day, so there's not much of a chance of him becoming an idol over night.” [...]

Thursday 9 March 1967
    UK
    DISC & MUSIC ECHO (page?) ‘The in scene where it all happens!’: Here’s a guide to five of the top clubs of the moment:
    [#5]:
    , 5 Whitehorse Street, W.1.: The young Mayfair dinnerjacketed brigade freak out here. Dancers take up most of the room, watched by drinkers from surrounding tables. Resident Motown playing groups. Visitors have included Paul McCartney, Tony Hicks [Hollies] and Marianne Faithful.
    Membership 3gns. Admission 15s., whisky 5s.
    Last edited by stplsd; 05-26-17 at 01:40 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: