Thread: 1967-03-12 Gyro Club, Troutbeck Hotel, Ilkley, Yorkshire, England

Thanks

1967-03-12 Gyro Club, Troutbeck Hotel, Ilkley, Yorkshire, England

Sunday, March 12th, 1967
    Gyro Club, Troutbeck Hotel, Ilkley, Yorkshire, England

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 04-01-11 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 691 Posts

Re: 1967-03-12 Gyro Club, Troutbeck Hotel, Ilkley, Yorkshire, England

short video documentary of the show in Ilkley:

crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?829-Jimi-Plays-Ilkley

Thanks
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 691 Posts

Jimi Hendrix 'DEFINITELY' played Ilkley!

A while ago, we asked if the rumours are true that guitar legend Jimi Hendrix once played a gig in, of all places, the genteel spa town of Ilkley. Danny Pollock's been in touch say it really DID happen - and he was the chap that booked him!
    Hendrix: A guitar legend in Ilkley!

Danny writes:

Yes, Jimi Hendrix definitely played Ilkley. I know that because I booked him through the Zenith Agency that I ran, and I put him on at these venues with my pal Stuart Frais through our joint promotions company S&D Enterprises.

We promoted a number of gigs around the Leeds area in the late 60s. These included Rod Stewart at the Blue Gardenia in Boar Lane, Leeds - Rod was part of The Steam Packet with blues star Long John Baldry - Julie Driscoll and The Brian Auger Trinity. I think the whole package was around £80 or £100.
    Jimi: Electric atmosphere

We also put on Joe Cocker at the Blue Gardenia for £18 on a Thursday night - we lost £3 on him and I remember sending him a postal order to his home in Sheffield. I 'phoned him to apologise for the poor attendance and had to call back because he hadn't returned from working on the buses yet!

The Ilkley gig which I promoted with Stuart was part of a short series of local promotions that we put on. These featured The Zoot Money Big Roll Band, The Graham Bond Organisation, and Jimmy James and The Vagabonds at the Troutbeck in Ilkley and David Bowie at the Harrogate Opera House where we paid him £30 as support act for The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band!
    Regarding the local Hendrix gigs, I booked him for a Friday, Saturday and Sunday through my agency, Zenith Agency & Management, which also booked many excellent local bands of the day. After seeing Jimi on Top Of The Pops I booked him for three nights at £50 per night via the Harold Davidson Agency in London. The dates were a few weeks ahead. The first gig was somewhere in the Midlands, Mansfield I think, the Saturday was at the International Club in Chapeltown in Leeds (which may be vying for his poorest reception ever), and the Sunday was at The Troutbeck Hotel in Ilkley.
    By the time Jimi was due to play there he'd become the hottest act in the country. One slight problem was that his manager had not returned the signed contract to me...We were quite concerned that it could be a no-show as they could have earned much more than £150 for three nights work by that time. No worries, the atmosphere was electric as Jimi took the stage - but is was over all too soon when the police stopped the show.
    "The atmosphere was electric as Jimi took the stage - but is was over all too soon when the police stopped the show..."
    Danny Pollock
    Stuart and I retreated to the dressing room with Jimi and the band. Then we organised refunds at the door for everyone as Jimi had only performed one or two numbers. There was a little bit of trouble, but nothing major. A small number of dishonest customers somehow managed to return and get two refunds which meant that we were not able to refund everyone on the night. A couple of paintings were damaged on a wall by disappointed customers - and it was reported in the northern edition of the Daily Express as "Riot at Ilkley Hotel". I don't know what that particular reporter was on!

After the gig and back at the flat we were hanging out with Jimi and the band (now there's a story to dine on). My recollection of Jimi was that he was quiet, polite, friendly, and funny - and he enjoyed a nice cup of tea. Wish I'd had a video camera!
    Maybe some of the music fans from that era will also remember some the fabulous local music venues of the day - The Plebians Jazz Club in Halifax, The Little Fat Black Pussy Cat Club in Bradford both operated by Paul Mountain (a guy with great taste for upcoming acts), The Boulevarde in Tadcaster, The Zarf Club York, Pete Stringfellow's King Mojo in Sheffield, The Blues Club at Barnoldswick and many more. Happy days!

Want to know what other people from West Yorkshire have been telling us about Hendrix's Ilkley gig? Read on!

Peter Crowther:

Yes. I was there and, boy, were there plenty more fans as well, I don't actually think there were 900 but it just felt like it. I was a teenager in Ilkley at that time and had become a weekend regular with my friends at the Troutbeck that year. There were five or six of us, myself, George Brown, Alan Clay, Stephen Feather, David Martin and David Hanson. George had already discovered Jimi Hendrix, introducing him to the rest of us and when we got to know he had been booked to appear at our local, we were on Cloud 9. We all duly agreed to be there, meeting in the bar first and on into the dance hall to listen to our hero. I thought I would drive up there and arrived to find no space to park and thought, "What is happening? There must be something else on as well." I did eventually park and on "entering" the foyer could not believe how many people were there. It was absolutely packed, but knowing the layout, managed to slip into the saloon bar to link up with my friends to plan our strategy. So packed was the venue that we agreed that it was everyone for themselves, some friends even said, 'Forget it we are staying here you will never get in.' But George was mad keen to try so off we went down a corridor where you were supposed to pay - forget that - so many into so little space meant just shuffle along next to the wall and we were in. Well I say we were in - there must have been 300 to 400 fans in a small dance hall and all I could see was the very top of Hendrix's head. By this time they may well have played something but I had not heard anything recognisable so congratulating myself on at least being there and ready for a great night they hit an opening chord and .....Sorry folks the police are closing this event down, everyone out! I certainly do not remember a riot but hundreds of disappointed fans very not happy. You can use your imagination as to how they left but I will forever remember being at a Hendrix's gig, hearing him play but what it was I will never know. Happy Times!
    Nadia, Bradford:

I was at the Troutbeck Hotel on the night Jimi Hendrix played along with my best friend Christine and another friend Jackie. I had never heard of him before then and we were at a loss for somewhere to go that Sunday night so we decided to hitchhike to Ilkley from Keighley as someone had told us there was a band on at the Troutbeck. I remember thinking he was the most ugliest bloke I had ever seen. The three of us were all mods and Christine was brilliant at sewing and used to make unusual outfits for herself and me. I remember this particular night Christine was wearing one of her creations a purple cat suit which had bell bottom trousers, low on the midriff, and there were holes cut out in the top and trimmed with silver lurex. We remember being in the dressing room with Jimi Hendrix when he looked Christine up and down and exclaimed "HEY PURPLE HAZE" to this day Christine is convinced that the song Purple Haze was inspired about her cat suit! Jackie went off with Jimi and we never saw her again that night. She never came home with us that's for sure. Both Christine and I are very surprised at the reports that say there were up to 900 fans at the Troutbeck that night as we remember there being more around 60 "if that". We remember being evacuated outside because there was some smoke and standing with Jimi and the rest of the band. When Jimi was playing on stage we remember him playing his guitar at the back of his head and then with his teeth, we had never seen anything like that before. We do not remember any riots breaking out (with less than 60 people it would be hard to imagine). I wish now that I should have got his autograph or something!!!
    Graham:

Wanted to go but didn't make it. But good to read about Susan and "The Little Fat Black Pussy Cat" in Bradford. I have not met up with anybody who remembers it. It was a great gig. We had a lot of good music venues at the time as well as a lot of pubs having good live bands. I have fond memories of the Boulavard on the A64. Three Coins, Albion Walk in, The Old Mecca, Star & Garter, Kirkstall etc etc. I could go on for hours. I played in bands myself then. I am now a DJ working on the original "Radio Caroline" as well as other small stations. Still enjoying the music & the people!
    David, Ilkley:

I remember the gig because the Troutbeck was our trio's resident job at this time. We didn't compete with Jimi though, we played every Saturday night for sedate dinner dances etc. I don't recall much damage being done as a result of the supposed riots; this was possibly a "good story" put about by the Gentlemen of the press. Re. Angie's recollection of Gene Vincent at Keighley, I remember his visit to Yeadon Town Hall (I think) where he appeared on stage dressed from head to foot in white leather including gauntlets whereupon a wag in the audience shouted "WHEER'S YER MOTORBIKE THEN"? Fortunately Gene could not understand broad Yorkshire, either that or he wasn't quite on this planet. However he proceded to play his guitar complete with leather gauntlets which proved to me that he was one of the early 'guitar holders' rather than a player. Speaking of overcrowding at The Troutbeck we played a gig also at Ilkley (Kings Hall) around about the same time where 1200 people were addmitted (maximum 400). This was an annual Christmas time bash organised?? by the Catholic Fathers.
    Madeleine, Wyke:

You're correct! Jimi Hendrix definitely played at the Troutbeck. Unfortunately the police stopped the show as it was thought to be a fire hazard. We actually went with the band and the promoters, in fact I had one of Jimi's Polo mints! Wow! There were lots of other top bands played there, and Prince Charles used to say there. It was one of his retreats.

last updated: 03/11/2008 at 16:07
    created: 03/11/2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bradford/conten..._feature.shtml

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,464 Posts

Sunday 12 March 1967
    Ilkley, Gyro Club, Troutbeck Hotel, Crossbeck Road, Yorkshire, England. JHE
    Concert (35 minutes?)
    Vets jacket? Blue? satin shirt; neckerchief; L&R 2 rings.
    B&W photo by [unknown]
    An S&D Enterprises contract signed by Chas exists.
    JHE fee - Noel: “£60.”
    Audience: 800
    Accomodation: Crescent Hotel, Brook Street.
    Songs Noel remembers:

Killing Floor (Chester 'Howlin’ Wolf' Burnett)
    Stone Free
    possibly other/s unknown

Noel: “Gig stopped - fire regulations.”

Local Paper [?]: “There was chaos when police stopped a pop show last night. A door was ripped off its hinges, pictures were slashed and torn from their frames, electrical fittings and furniture were broken and the carpets were littered with broken glass at the Troutbeck Hotel, Ilkley. The Jimi Hendrix Experience were told to stop playing in the middle of their second number. Police told the audience of 800 that they would have to leave because the club was overcrowded. Jimi remarked “I wish they had let me play before emptying the club.”

Ilkley Gazette ‘Pop Fans Amok in Hotel’ (‘quoted’ from a national newspaper [?]): “800 teenagers [running riot after police halted a pop concert] ‘in mid verse’. They ripped off doors, pulled out electrical fittings and smashed furniture after a police sergeant stepped on stage and stopped pop singer Jimi Hendrix half-way through a number.”

A ‘spokesman for the Troutbeck.’ said he was surprised how ‘quiet and orderly’ the fans were and said limited damage had been caused simply because there were so many of them.
    A police officer confirmed this by telling the Gazette that no official complaints of vandalism had been received. He explained that officers were initially called to the hotel by residents because nearby roads were blocked by cars belonging to Hendrix fans. It was then discovered that the ballroom was seriously overcrowded and the decision taken to stop the concert in an attempt to reduce the audience to its legal limit of about 250. Chaos ensued and the concert did not resume.

Stuart Frais [DJ at the Gyro Club]. “When a police sergeant mounted the stage and began with ‘Listen boys and girls’ there was bound to be trouble. After all everyone in the audience was over 18. There would have been no trouble if Hendrix had been allowed to finish his act. With people crammed like sardines in the corridors it’s remarkable that there wasn’t more trouble. It took two hours to get the club clear. Groups were still arguing and waiting for their money back at 11.15 p.m.”

Matthew Catting: “Although Hendrix had not yet shot to superstardom the buzz created by ‘Hey Joe’ and the rave reviews of his London gigs preceded him. Those in the know flocked to Ilkley - some travelled from as far away as Newcastle. The Troutbeck was consequently packed when the Experience stepped on stage in its ballroom. Sketchy and conflicting reports of what happened next were carried in the All of the newspapers agreed that the police had pulled the plug on the gig halfway through the second song because the number of people in the ballroom flouted fire regulations.

Vince Philpotts: “It was one of the highpoints of my youth. It was a night I wouldn’t have missed, short as it was. The ballroom was designed for about 200 people but by my estimation there were about 450 inside - even standing on the windowsills and tables. As soon as Hendrix made his appearance the place went wild. There was shouting and jumping - it was a thrill to watch this fellow walking on stage. He came on that stage and he was as lucid as you or me. He started off with one hell of an instrumental. Noel Redding started with a bass line then Mitchell came in on drums. It was just a huge bang straight into the set. It was loud and excellent. The next thing this suicidal plain-clothed cop in a gaberdine gets up on the stage and tells Hendrix to shut up and says the place was in breach of fire regulations, everyone had to go home. He just got everybody’s back up. The audience started booing and shouting. Meanwhile Hendrix’s reaction was to repeatedly back into his amps, thus drowning the policeman’s words with feedback. The officer then started rushing around to find the switch which would turn the amplifiers off but initially only succeeded in fuelling the chaos by turning the lights in the ballroom on and off. Eventually the band agreed to leave the stage and retreated to their dressing-room. But members of the audience decided to Express their unhappiness by dumping items of furniture in a pile in the bar as they filed out. The allocation of funds at the front entrance was then thrown into disarray when a fire door at the back of the building was opened. As a result some fans doubled their money by simply walking around the building and re-entering the queue.
    was the way he did it. There was trouble. It was a case of having a dinner put in front of you and then taken away.”

Peter Dobson: “It wasn’t my impression that he was drugged up. He was just so laid back and a charismatic character just by his demeanour.

It wasn’t vandalism or the rioting that we know today. Things were just thrown there to show their objection. We actually saw Hendrix as we walked past, he was sitting in the kitchen. We asked him ‘Hey Jimi, what’s up?’ and his answer was something like ‘The pigs won’t let us play.’ I think it would have gone straight through and there would have been no hassle at all. People weren’t interested in drinking, they were there to see Hendrix.”

He remembers that some tables were wantonly smashed and that some fans arrived at the hotel drunk. He also recalls talk that the use of ‘illegal substances’ among the audiences had spurred the police into action.

Noel: [I can still remember Ilkley. At the time we did much of our travelling in a van and would probably have arrived in Ilkley during the afternoon with the road manager, Gerry Stickells.] “A lot of the time we would just pile into the van. I used to go and lie on top of the equipment at the back. Jimi sat at the front. He loved England, especially the travelling about and going to different parts. I knew the country so I used to be tour bus guide. We didn’t have any women with us in those days - we didn’t have enough room. There were only about 12 people at the Leeds gig the night before - I don’t think everybody up North had heard of us yet. It was also in a bit of a rough area. We still played our 45 minute [according to Noel’s diary 35 minutes] set to them. They enjoyed it. As far as I can recall there were just too many people at the llkley gig. The police stopped the show as it was a small place and it got so packed out. I remember it was very hot when we went on stage. I probably started with a bass riff and then Mitch would join and then Hendrix would start and then we would go into ‘Killing Floor.’ We never had a set list. We used to just follow Jimi. The second track would have been ‘Stone Free.”
    [I could not specifically remember Hendrix drowning out the policeman with feedback.
    but] that would be Hendrix. None of us were very fond of the police really because those were the days of reefers.’

[I remember after the gig going down the road to a pub with Hendrix and Mitchell.]

“Jimi loved the country pubs. In between things he and I would without fail go and find a nice little pub and then have a couple pints of bitter- he liked bitter. That was about it at the time, reefers and the bitters.”

Madam Avis [current hotel owner]: “They arrived late that night. Upon finding the front door locked, Hendrix, no doubt feeling the effects of the pints of bitter, walked to the back of the building and urinated against the wall.”

Sunday 12 March 1967
    UK
    YORKSHIRE EVENING POST (page 1) [B&W photos, ‘LEFT police disperse a crowd from a corridor at the Trourbeck Hotel, Ilkley . . . The departing crowd leaves a trail of debris and broken glass.
    ABOVE: After it was all over ... A door lies on its side ... smashed coffee tables, damaged paintings and a battered lampshade help to tell the story of the disturbance.]
    ‘Chaos after police break up crowded pop show’ 800 TOLD TO LEAVE AT ILKLEY Evening Post Reporter: THEME WAS CHAOS WHEN POLICE STOPPED A POP SHOW AT AN ILKLEY HOTEL LAST NIGHT.
    A door was ripped from its hinges, pictures were slashed and torn from their frames, electrical fittings and furniture were broken and the carpets littered with broken glass at the Gyro Club, Troutbeck Hotel llkley.
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience, who had a recent hit with “Hey Joe," were told to stop playing in
    What We Think Page 4
    the middle of their second number. Police told the audience of 800 that they would have to leave because the club was overcrowded.
    "I wish they had let me play before emptying the club,” said Hendrix, whose gimmick is to play the guitar with his teeth.
    “DISGRUNTLED"
    "The police did not help to get people out of the club said Hendrix's manager, Mr. David Findlay
    "Some people got their money back several times over.”
    The club's manager, Mr Nigel Edwards, said. "We tried to refund as much money as possible, but the crowd was very disgruntled"
    Getting the audience out was made more difficult by the fact that there were still a lot of people outside queueing to get in. There should only have been 250 people in the club," said a West Riding Police spokesman. "The situation could so easily have got out of hand"
    Stuart Frais, a disc-jockey at the club, said that members of the audience had come from as far away as Manchester and Newcastle
    CONTINUED ON PAGE 5
    ILKLEY POP SHOW UPROAR
    CONTINUED FROM PAGE 1
    to see the performance by Hendrix, who has never before played in Yorkshire.
    "With people crammed like sardines in the corri*dors it's remarkable that there wasn't more trouble," he said.
    "In future we shall not allow more than 250 in."
    TWO-HOUR TASK
    It took two hours to get the club clear, he said. Groups were still arguing and waiting for their money back at 11.15 p.m.
    "When a police sergeant mounted the stage and began 'Listen boys and girls' there was bound to be trouble. After all everyone in the audience was over 18 There would have been no trouble if Hendrix had been allowed to finish his act," Frais claimed.
    An attempt is to be made to bring Hendrix back to the club for two performances in May. After all, he barely had a chance to get his teeth into his act!
    A spokesman for the hotel management said it had no objection to the club con*tinuing to run Sunday night pop-concerts so long as the 250 limit was not exceeded.

Monday 13 March 1967
    UK
    YORKSHIRE POST (page?) “700 in uproar at beat club after police stop show.” By Reginald Brace: “Uproar broke out in an Ilkley pop club last night when police stopped thought the audience was too big for the premises.
    A door was ripped off, pictures torn from the walls and drinking glasses smashed at the Gyro Club in the Troutbeck Hotel. The performance, by the Jimi Hendris Experience, was not resumed.
    Hendrix, an American singer-guitarist, had begun his second number when the police moved in. Mr. Nigel Edwards, manager of the club, told me: "They thought there were too many people in the place.
    “I would say there were between 700 and 800 people pre*sent. The police said the limit should have been 250, which seems very small in view of the size of the ballroom.
    "We tried to refund as much money as possible but the crowd were very disgruntled. There was general chaos."
    Hendrix, from Seattle, had a recent hit record with "Hey, Joe." His road manager, Mr. Gerry Stickells, said:
    "Jimi and the boys were very disappointed that the show had to end so suddenly."
    A police spokesman said the reason the show was stopped was gross overcrowding to such an
    extent that the situation could have become dangerous, coupled with the fact that the road outside the hotel was blocked with parked cars.

Monday 13 March 1967
    UK
    INTERNATIONAL TIMES (page 7) ‘oxford happening’ by Jay Landesman:
    The protest signs were late; they couldn't find the horse. Pretty girls passed out daffodils; the boys passed out bananas. Joss sticks lit up Wellington Square. A sincere person hawked IT. Suzy Creamcheese wasn't there. Her stand in standing around, waiting for the horse.
    "Everybody in the centre." The fence was hurdled. Quickly a set of drums set up. Mr. Sax blew his horn, as large as he. The chosen stood on empty tea boxes reading Alice B. Toklas. Censored, censored, censored, censored. Where are the signs'.' The boy with the painted face climbed the tree and shouted recog*nitions. (He was the first to be arrested later).
    Young girls arrived with babies; so did the Fuzz. "Who's behind this'.'" They wanted to learn. Nobody talked. The big push began: "Everybody out of the pool". A couple of bangers exploded. Ten minutes had gone by.
    The signs finally arrived. “Death To Pot Users", "Free Suzy Creamcheese”. The fuzz stepped up the pushing. "Where's the Melinex?" 'They couldn't go any*where without the melinex! Nobody arrested yet, although Mr. Sax was warned. (Too many bad notes?) The Melinex arrived, the march began. The ones in the front wrapped in loving Melinex chanting. "Tune In, Turn On, Drop Out".
    They charged the Randolph Hotel—got stuck in the revolving door, still in Melinex. The police moved in; some fell, others pushed. Eggs thrown; six arrests. Back to Wellington Square. The horse was found. Suzy's stand in astride with banner aloft: "Free. etc.". 15 Specials from Scotland Yard didn't think it was funny. The pony was for Suzy to ride through town with you know who? Jimmy Hendrix on black horse!
    It didn't happen.
    (Page 8)MARION BROWN’: Marion Brown is one of the most active representatives of the new music. He has recorded with most of the leading musicians in the field, from Sun Ra to John Coltrane. More recently he has recorded under his own name. The words below are taken from an interview Brown gave to Detroit UPS paper, Guerilla. They explain, in some detail, much of what the new music is about. [...]
    I want to talk about things that inspire me, like colour, visible things, light. Colour is for me identical to sound and I feel that the two things are interchangable. What I try to do is like making mixtures of colours. For example, the blues is associated with the colour blue because blue is theologically related to the number seven and this number *in the chord structure of the blues, determines the sound colour. On my Fontana album, I composed thinking of colours and visual effects. "The Visitor" is VIOLET, PURPLE. I got interested in VIOLET a year ago, after an EXPERIENCE with censored. Censored, censored, censored, censored, censored. I perceived colours and sounds that I had never been aware of, and I heard visceral noise. My own noise, coming from places I wasn't at. This happened also on the record; you can hear some kinds of echoes, these are not accidents, I know exactly what they correspond to. I looked at the inside of the sound waves like blind people or radars do to situate objects. When you walk down the street, in New York, there are so many people doing things that, if you pay attention, there are a lot of things going on in yourself, billions of colour sounds . . . or again, it's enough to look at a wet pavement, that always makes me think of a comb for colours, or to look at windows in the sun. I try to translate that, I can't play a music that people would see but I think I can play music which will bring all these things to mind "The Visitor" is a PURPLE piece, it’s a nocturnal experience: at first its very black, then you cross flashes of colours during the free ensembles, with the piano solo the colours thin out and turn toward yellow-orange, then they return to violence and darkness. In 'Juba Lee" everything is blue. On "512 East" there are all colours, it’s in a sense pointillistic, like Seurat's work, volleys of colours. Alan Shorter’s tune, “iditus,” is green, sen*sitively green, a green like Miles', a deep green bordered by a little red, not too much red . . . it's a romantic green, a colour that has a natural sonority.

Tuesday 14 March 1967
    US/Canada
    JEFFERY NEGOCIATES A MASSIVE DEAL WITH REPRISE FOR US & CANADA –
    Less than 3 months after Hey Joe entered the UK charts, and prior to Purple Haze’s release.
    Already Wind Cries Mary and most of the Are You Experienced LP is finished. The ‘B’ side, Highway Chile is completed on 5 April and the LP is completed on 25 April.
    The single and LP will be released later in May. Reprise’s first release will be the Hey Joe/51st Anniversary single in May, it flops, but it seems to have been more of a promotional introduction to the US media, as the white label promos in a picture sleeve are far more common than the stock copies in plain sleeve.
    The Reprise Purple Haze/ Wind Cries Mary release coincides with the Monkees tour - intentional? It is talked about as if it is the first US release.
    It doesn’t sell very well, only reaching 65 Billboard, briefly.
    7 August 1967 Chalpin serves Hendrix, Reprise etc. with notice that he is taking court action against them for breach of contract.
    Are You Experienced is released in the US & Canada a few days after they head back to England. It quickly begins to pick up momentum, entering Billboard at 190 on 26 August and reaching a high of 10 on 14 October. After which it hovers around this mark, climbing back to 10 on 2 December. Much of AYE’s ‘chart success’ may be put down to Reprise who were (as well as the top four or so record companies), running discount schemes through large chain stores, eg Penneys, & mail order outlets heavily advertised in local press throughout the US. The Reprise ads always featured AYE, most often with accompanying sleeve picture, and increasingly the only ‘rock’ group featured in Reprises offers. When Reprise went ‘all stereo’ the AYE mono copies were sold en masse in these schemes for not much over $1.00!
    Capitol release Get That Feeling on the 2 December. AYE is still climbing and reaches 7 Billboard, but then the sales plummet to 17 as Capitol’s advertising of their “new” LP bites, entering Billboard at 194. But despite their dishonest advertising in the press which showed a line drawing of Jimi Hendrix in white!, with his name in large text above the almost unreadably tiny ‘Curtis Knight’, GTF only manages to climb to 60 before dropping to around the low 70’s. AYE sales started picking up again after dropping to 21 in January ‘68. Axis is released on 28 February 1968. On 14 April Reprise wins a small victory in it’s action to have Get That Feeling withdrawn, a temporary injunction to stop sales, due to it’s misleading cover art, is granted. Capitol has the injunction lifted on 14 March. But it was too late, after it’s 12 week (3 month) run GTF drops out the chart never to re-appear. Only this one Curtis Knight/Hendrix recording ever reached the US charts.

Tuesday 14 March 1967
    UK (Glasgow)
    EVENING CITIZEN (page 9) ‘CINEMAS’. [large ad:]
    ‘ODEON’ Renfield Street. Phone DOU 3861
    On The Stage Thursday
    6.40 — 6th April — 9.0
    Capable Management Ltd. Presents
    The
    WALKER BROTHERS
    Cat Stevens and Jimmy Hendrix [sic]
    Prices: 15/-, 12/6, 10/6. Advance
    Booking Office opens Tomorrow
    (Wed) at Theatre, 10.30 a.m.-8 p.m.
    [Note, no mention of Humperdinck. Ed.]

Tuesday 14 March 1967
    UK (Glasgow)
    EVENING TIMES (page 21) ‘CINEMAS’. [large ad:]
    ‘ODEON’ On The Stage
    Renfield Street. Phone DOU 3861
    On The Stage Thursday
    6.40 6th April 9.0
    Capable Management Ltd. Presents
    The
    WALKER BROTHERS
    Cat Stevens Jimi Hendrix
    Prices: 15/-, 12/6, 10/6. Advance
    Booking Office opens to-morrow
    (Wed) at Theatre, 10.30 a.m.-8 p.m.
    [Note, no mention of Humperdinck. Ed.]

Thursday 16 March 1967
    UK (Glasgow)
    EVENING CITIZEN (page 5) The SCENE Page [B&W vet’s jacket promo shot, ‘Jimi Hendrix’] ‘Stand by for the wildest stage Experience of them all’ By Iain MacKenzie:
    THE first time you see Jimi Hendrix you think you've found the inspiration behind the Troggs'
    first hit, "Wild Thing." Then you see him on the stage, or hear his records, and you realise that this man and his music are completely remote from anything British popdom ever experienced.
    And an experience it is . . . the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
    Possibly the wildest, most uninhibited —and cleverest— brand of music to come our way for a long time.
    Sounds all psychedelic, doesn't it? But nothing could be further from psychedelia.
    Jimi is 21, American, and soft-spoken. He mumbles almost with embarrassment at being asked questions. He side-steps, sidetracks, goes off at tangents and comes back to the original subject before you've had the chance to leave it.
    And he's just the teeniest-weeniest bit worried about his forthcoming tour with the Walker Brothers.
    Improvise
    “We'll have a hard time of it," he said, surprisingly. Well, at least, he's not big-headed.
    "The thing is, it's going to be young audiences. And at first, we find they don't understand, they don't know how to take it.
    "We improvise on stage. We never play a thing the same way twice. We move around a lot, and it's just a rave. The music makes us high . . . I mean, we don’t drink or anything before we go on, but we get high with the music. We're very loud, very raving, and everything goes."
    The group — Jimi on lead, Noel Redding on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums — has been in existence only two months. How did they manage to become so successful; so "in," in such a short time?
    “I was playing in a club in Greenwich Village when Chas (ex-Animal Chas Chandler) saw me and asked me to come to Britain. It's paid off. We’ve already had a hit with 'Hey Joe’ and we've got another record due out called 'Purple Haze.'
    "This time it's more our type of thing—closer to our own style. The complete opposite of 'Hey Joe.’ Very noisy, very ugly.
    Then he asks about Scotlard, says he's looking forward to coming here in May [sic, April].
    “I had an aunt in Scotland about 10 years ago, but she's gone back to America now."
    He's in Holland today, for TV work. Then touring around again in London's in-clubs. Then comes the big tour.
    In spite of his doubts, I think the Experience is going to knock it off on this tour. Jimi's reputation among the hippies is such that he’ll be going on stage with an advan*tage to start with. And once Jimi Hendrix gets on stage, there's nothing to stop him.
    As he says: "I came to Britain, picked out the two best musicians, the best equipment, and all we are try*ing to do now is create, create, create music, our own personal sound, our own personal being . . . "
    Now here's an Experience for you.

Thursday 16 (23) March 1967
    USA (NYC, NY)
    VILLAGE VOICE [NO JIMI CONTENT] (page 14) [B&W ad.] Friday DR. TIMOTHY LEARY WILL SPEAK At the League for Spiritual Discovery (((CENTER))) Corner Hudson & Perry ON Fri. Mar. 24, 2 pm & 8 pm. Remember! Turn On ● Tune In ● Drop Out ● Turn On ● Tune In ● Drop Out

Thursday 16 March 1967
    UK
    RECORD MIRROR (page ?) [title?] [5 Mar interview] by Valerie Mabbs [text?]
    (Page?) ‘Britain’s Top 50, National Chart Complied by the Record Retailer’:
    Strangely still no chart entry for ‘Just What You Want’ by John's Children?

Thursday 16 March 1967
    UK
    MELODY MAKER (page?) ‘Jimi Hendrix: Purple Haze (Track)’ by [unknown]: “Very powerful new single from the ‘Hey Joe’ man – but very difficult to assess it’s commerciality. Climbing to freakish heights, it contains all the stunning Hendrix characteristics, with flashing, weaving, bending guitar and a fat, churning sound with heavy propulsion from drummer Mitch Mitchell and bassist Noel, with the Experience. It’s a great record, full of atmosphere and excitement, with the dynamic Hendrix personality shining from every groove. If there’s any justice in The World, it will be a Top Ten hit.“
    (Page 5) [title?] by [unknown] Charlie Watts: “It has been great to see Mitch Mitchell come out of Georgie [Fame]’s band and be let loose. It’s rather like a civil servant becoming a demolition worker.”
    (Page?) [B&W photo cig in gob] ‘MONTH’S DELAY ON FIRST HENDRIX LP New single out Friday’ by [unknown]: “The first Jimi Hendrix LP, ’Are You Experienced?’ has been held up in the middle of production. Manager Chas Chandler told MM on Monday. “Due to a fault we have decided to re-record all but six of the LP tracks. “But Jimi has also written about fifteen more numbers since we started work on the LP so we’re going to record all those as well. I’m afraid it’s starting from scratch all over again – and will mean that the release of the album is going to be delayed for over one month.” [Hype! Ed.] Jimi Hendrix’s new single, “Purple Haze”, is to be issued on the recently launched Track label tomorrow (Friday).
    (Page?) Melody Maker’s Pop 50 [No Hendrix, but interesting]
    wk
    02-48-41. Just What You Want - John's Children
    01-NE-43. Love Makes Sweet Music - Soft Machine
    [Only chart that has an entry for this. Ed.]
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-31-16 at 06:52 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 376 Posts

Gyro Club

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,163 Times in 1,600 Posts

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post: